PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Burns v Terence Crawford

Pretty Boy
01-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Anyone else going tonight?

Tough night ahead for Ricky imo, he'll need to be at his very best to win based on what I have seen of Crawford. Although Crawford hasn't fought anyone of Rickys standard before.

Looking forward to John Simpson v John Murray, Simpson is never in a bad fight win or lose. Seeing Anthony Joshua should be good as well.

Scouse Hibee
01-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Anyone else going tonight?

Tough night ahead for Ricky imo, he'll need to be at his very best to win based on what I have seen of Crawford. Although Crawford hasn't fought anyone of Rickys standard before.

Looking forward to John Simpson v John Murray, Simpson is never in a bad fight win or lose. Seeing Anthony Joshua should be good as well.

Not going but looking forward to watching it on SKY, also the De Gale fight is on channel five tonight so a decent night of sport on TV following the Liverpool game at 5.30.

On Burns, has there been many if any boxers that have successfully returned to the ring following the damage to the jaw that he has suffered? Crawford looks a real danger to Burns but as you say his previous opponents have not been anywhere near the standard of Burns so it will be intersting.

Pretty Boy
01-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Not going but looking forward to watching it on SKY, also the De Gale fight is on channel five tonight so a decent night of sport on TV following the Liverpool game at 5.30.

On Burns, has there been many if any boxers that have successfully returned to the ring following the damage to the jaw that he has suffered? Crawford looks a real danger to Burns but as you say his previous opponents have not been anywhere near the standard of Burns so it will be intersting.

The only one who springs to mind is Muhammad Ali. He won the world title back after Ken Norton broke his jaw.

Hibstrooper
01-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Looking forward to this, expecting Crawford to win by KO though but would love too see Ricky do it!

What time does the Burns fight start? 9/930?

HibeeHendo
01-03-2014, 07:06 PM
I'm here! Watching Appleby just now. He's fighting well but is telegraphing that right hand.

HibeeHendo
01-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Never a stoppage.

Pretty Boy
01-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Never a stoppage.

Agreed.

Heavy knockdown but should have been allowed to see out the fight.

Simpson struggling big time here.

Pretty Boy
01-03-2014, 07:48 PM
And it's stopped.

HibeeHendo
01-03-2014, 07:50 PM
And it's stopped.

Mismatch. Murray far too big for him.

macca70
01-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Looking forward to this, expecting Crawford to win by KO though but would love too see Ricky do it!

What time does the Burns fight start? 9/930?

Scheduled for 10pm.

Just started watching it, has Joshua been on?

HibeeHendo
01-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Scheduled for 10pm.

Just started watching it, has Joshua been on?

Not yet. Next I think.

lugz
01-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Really like Joshua his attitude is spot on and the ability to back it up. Massive future ahead of him!

Pretty Boy
01-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Joshua entering to 500 miles.

Good lad.

HibeeHendo
01-03-2014, 08:36 PM
500 miles is on, bouncin'!

Pretty Boy
01-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Joshua really looks the part.

Not the best opponent but the power and speed is scary

marinello59
01-03-2014, 08:47 PM

Looked good on TV . Good to hear it confirmed from the room.

lord bunberry
01-03-2014, 09:10 PM

Not the best opponent is an understatement but i agree he looked good. I would love to see him against someone like sprott

Pretty Boy
01-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Absolutely brilliant atmosphere.

Hope Burns can deliver. A win would raise the roof

silverhibee
01-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Absolutely brilliant atmosphere.

Hope Burns can deliver. A win would raise the roof

:agree:

Burns looks very relaxed.

ronaldo7
01-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Crawford looks razor sharp

Billy
01-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Hope Burns wins but can't see past Crawford as he looks sharp. I think he'll win by KO.

easty
01-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Crawford isn't the superstar I was led to believe. Burns needs to be more confident.

ronaldo7
01-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Crawford dictating now. Burns needs to lift it for the last 3 rounds if he gets there.

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Burns needs to knock him out to win, he's been 2nd best since the 3rd round.

3pm
01-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Is Burns just overrated?!

Pretty Boy
01-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Crawford certainly isn't the next Mayweather on this showing.

Decent enough but a bit slow and flat footed.

lord bunberry
01-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Well done ricky you went out on your shield mate, brave as a lion.

Pretty Boy
01-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Deserved win for Crawford but he's a million miles from world class.

I had him by 2 rounds.

The_Exile
01-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Personally only gave Burns 2 rounds, he was a shadow of the fighter of a couple of years ago.

whereswallace?
01-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Deserved win for Crawford but he's a million miles from world class.

I had him by 2 rounds.

Agree, hel get found out very quickly when he steps up in class. Decent but nothing special, Beltran would probably the belt off him.

Pretty Boy
01-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Agree, hel get found out very quickly when he steps up in class. Decent but nothing special, Beltran would probably the belt off him.

Rumour was the winner tonight will fight Vasquez.

If that's the case Crawford will lose badly. As would Burns have.

whereswallace?
01-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Rumour was the winner tonight will fight Vasquez.

If that's the case Crawford will lose badly. As would Burns have.

:agree: Vazquez would take him apart. I can't see Burns fighting at world level again, and you would have to question wether his heart would be in it for domestic fights after a lengthy spell as a world champion.

HibeeHendo
01-03-2014, 11:21 PM
I had Crawford by two rounds. From what I saw, Crawford is in no way going to be an elite fighter. Vazquez would finish him inside 12 rounds. There are already talks of a rematch and if Ricky can avoid getting pushed into the ropes so often then he has a chance. Crawford was not comfortable trading punches in the centre of the ring.

Scouse Hibee
02-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Burns would be wasting his time in a rematch with Crawford, I agree with Jim Watt that certainly wasn't the Burns we expect to see. Having said that his last three fights have shown him to be in decline and I wonder where he can go now. I know he says differently but the confidence regarding his jaw looked to affect his usual game plan last night. Murray is one powerful lightweight and look forward to seeing more of him, Joshua certainly had the crowd behind him, looked decent enough though I'm pretty sure they could have pulled someone from the crowd who could fight better than his opponent.

Pretty Boy
02-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Really not sure where Burns goes from here.

Last night was a really poor performance, as was the Gonzalez fight in large parts, Beltran is excusable because of the injury. He seems a shadow of the fighter who dismantled Martinez. Are any of his last 3 opponents significantly better than Martinez at the moment? Not imo.

Burns looked almost shell shocked last night and seemed reluctant to let shots go. I can't understand how a fighters style and sharpness can change so dramatically so quickly.

At world level there isn't a lot for him. With no belt and with a limited fan base he is of no interest to Vasquez. I can't see why Crawford would have any interest in a rematch. Would Abril, Gamboa or Figueroa have any interest in fighting Burns without a belt? Is he big enough or good enough to step up to the light welterweight division? Even domestically guys like John Murray, Anthony Crolla and Martin Gethin would be tough fights if Rickys heart wasn't 100% in it after fighting at world level for so long.

When all is said and done he could retire tomorrow with his head held high. He's won world titles at 2 weights and defended them 9 times. Everyone passes their peak at some point and I'm sure he has made a decent living these last 3 years. He's a really nice guy into the bargain so could probably offer a lot training youngsters and doing a bit media work.