PDA

View Full Version : Alex Harris: Injury?

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-03-2014, 07:40 AM
I am a little concerned with young Alex.

Aside from his confidence being six feet under I'm unsure if he has fully recovered following his injury.

He is running with a 'very slight' limp and seems to have lost all his pace. I understand that confidence has a huge part to play but this is not the same Alex Harris who turned up at Hamden against Falkirk.

He doesn't want the ball, struggles to beat a man and is outpaces regularly. Highlight was when he had a metre start on Gunning and got beat to the ball: very un-Harris like? This can't be down to match fitness and is certainly not a witch hunt, it's just genuine concern that a really bad injury has affected this guys main attribute: pace?!

Beefster
01-03-2014, 07:42 AM
I'm not sure if he has an injury but he appears terrified of being hurt again. Pulls out of challenges and is continually refusing to compete for balls. Shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

BarneyK
01-03-2014, 07:50 AM
I'm not sure if he has an injury but he appears terrified of being hurt again. Pulls out of challenges and is continually refusing to compete for balls. Shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

:agree: A wee spell in the under 20s required. It looks like it's a mental issue rather than a physical one.

rcarter1
01-03-2014, 07:53 AM
A lot of talent in there, but fragile at the moment. Coming back from a first serious injury is probably the hardest. Could see him relax a bit more if we are in say the bottom six with hee haw to play for. Hope to see him on the up again soon.

Weststandwanab
01-03-2014, 07:55 AM
I agree with the last two posts.

I hope to see 2013 Hampden Alex at some point this year.

alan1875
01-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Oddly, I think he needs someone to properly clatter him and for him to get up from it ok and then he might realise that all is well... It might sound mad but it's probably old school tough love. The opposite might happen and he'd go in to his shell but at least then he'd truly know. If I was Butcher i'd secretly ask someone to do it in training (in as much of a controlled way as possible) just to get it out his system... Again might sound mad but I bet that's what they would have done "back in the day".

P.S. I think the kid is and will be a fantastic player for us and go on to much bigger/better things but he needs something/someone to put him back on that trajectory. However, I'd probably take him out the firing line for the next few weeks as something's clearly up and he for whatever reason is not able to give the 100% (we know he is capable of) to the team.

rcarter1
01-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Oddly, I think he needs someone to properly clatter him and for him to get up from it ok and then he might realise that all is well... It might sound mad but it's probably old school tough love. The opposite might happen and he'd go in to his shell but at least then he'd truly know. If I was Butcher i'd secretly ask someone to do it in training (in as much of a controlled way as possible) just to get it out his system... Again might sound mad but I bet that's what they would have done "back in the day".

P.S. I think the kid is and will be a fantastic player for us and go on to much bigger/better things but he needs something/someone to put him back on that trajectory. However, I'd probably take him out the firing line for the next few weeks as something's clearly up and he for whatever reason is not able to give the 100% (we know he is capable of) to the team.

Weirdly agree. Either that or spend a few months on the fringes with intensive physio to build up the strength.

QMU-1875
01-03-2014, 08:16 AM
He needs dropped ASAP for the benefit of his career. I'd bring cairney back our poor form has happened alongside him being dropped

Golden Bear
01-03-2014, 08:22 AM
He needs dropped ASAP for the benefit of his career. I'd bring cairney back our poor form has happened alongside him being dropped

:agree:

And strangely enough exactly the same happened last season - we were never quite the same when Cairney didn't feature in the team.

truehibernian
01-03-2014, 08:26 AM
It's his first career injury and it's affected him. He's also seen teammates (Sean Welsh and Sammy) get injuries and have recurring problems, which may or may not be at the back of his mind.

Maybe needs a rest but maybe needs some one to one work with Terry Butcher - Alex will come good but it's not easy especially when the hype and expectation is to hit the ground running immediately. Remember, Alex hasn't had a full season of top level football and unlike United youngsters, hadn't had the chance to be rested or managed throughout the season.

Let him get a good, strong preseason under TB and Mo, around more offensive type players, and give him a chance to overcome the injury.

Scouse Hibee
01-03-2014, 08:30 AM
We all seem to be seeing the same thing with Harris, poor management by Butcher if he can't see it just throwing the laddie in week in week out, confidence is low and will be shattered at this rate.

Pray4Marc
01-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Needs to toughen up. Complete liability defensively and has provided very little going forward of late.

LaMotta
01-03-2014, 09:07 AM
The shocking Easter Road pitch cant help him either nor can the fact that opposition know to just double up on him now.

Also im sure most of his early performances came as he played on the left. There isnt even the option for him to switch wings during a game because Stevenson cant play on the right.

Some of his challenges are like a primary school kid though.

Golden Bear
01-03-2014, 09:11 AM
The shocking Easter Road pitch cant help him either nor can the fact that opposition know to just double up on him now.

Also im sure most of his early performances came as he played on the left. There isnt even the option for him to switch wings during a game because Stevenson cant play on the right.

Some of his challenges are like a primary school kid though.

For whatever reason the United players didn't have the same difficulty with the pitch. I suspect there is a logical explanation.

LaMotta
01-03-2014, 09:16 AM
United might have hit 7 or 8 on a decent pitch.

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-03-2014, 09:54 AM
For whatever reason the United players didn't have the same difficulty with the pitch. I suspect there is a logical explanation.

Last night he looked like a wee boy playing football.

No awareness of space or marking. He let guys go inside on countless occasions and tried to take guys on in wrong positions. A lot of this has to be attributed to confidence but my major concern is the metal in his ankle, there may be a chance he doesn't regain the searing pace he had.....

"Kommen sie bitte und listen to Kraftwerk!"

truehibernian
01-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Last night he looked like a wee boy playing football.

No awareness of space or marking. He let guys go inside on countless occasions and tried to take guys on in wrong positions. A lot of this has to be attributed to confidence but my major concern is the metal in his ankle, there may be a chance he doesn't regain the searing pace he had.....

"Kommen sie bitte und listen to Kraftwerk!"

I've the same concern with the lead in Liam Craig's boots :greengrin

oconnors_strip
01-03-2014, 10:33 AM
We all seem to be seeing the same thing with Harris, poor management by Butcher if he can't see it just throwing the laddie in week in week out, confidence is low and will be shattered at this rate.

That's what is really annoying me, does butcher not see what we are seeing every week with Alex? He is going to destroy the poor lad :(

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-03-2014, 11:26 AM
I've the same concern with the lead in Liam Craig's boots :greengrin

It just shows why pace is required.

Liam Craig isn't a bad player but has no speed so gets caught out at every 50/50.

truehibernian
01-03-2014, 11:28 AM
It just shows why pace is required.

Liam Craig isn't a bad player but has no speed so gets caught out at every 50/50.

Barry Robson has no pace, I'd know who I'd rather have in my side. Liam needs to man up, work harder, and stop ball watching - get involved basically.

Billy Whizz
01-03-2014, 11:58 AM
I'm sure he will be taken out of the firing line when Watmore is fit again

B.H.F.C
01-03-2014, 12:02 PM
That's what is really annoying me, does butcher not see what we are seeing every week with Alex? He is going to destroy the poor lad :(

I agree to an extent. Yes Butcher needs to get him out of the team ASAP as there is something clearly not right. However Harris needs to show more appetite. More desire. I can appreciate that he's had a bad injury but if he keeps jumping out of challenges the way he is he's going to end up hurting himself again. Harris needs to want to do that side of the game and I don't think anybody can sort that side of things other than him.

skipster7
01-03-2014, 12:04 PM
His best performances were from left mid not where he is now. McGivern feeding balls inside right back was a common feature. Now we play Stevenson there ! Definitely seems thrown back in too early.

NadeAteMyLunch!
01-03-2014, 12:08 PM
It's painful to watch him at the moment

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-03-2014, 12:18 PM
He shat it from Gunning yesterday when he could have just kept running and wouldn't have got caught. He himseld said he expected to be playing under 20's football atm. Think that's whats best for him. U20's until the end of the season.

oconnors_strip
01-03-2014, 12:24 PM
I agree to an extent. Yes Butcher needs to get him out of the team ASAP as there is something clearly not right. However Harris needs to show more appetite. More desire. I can appreciate that he's had a bad injury but if he keeps jumping out of challenges the way he a he's going to end up hurting himself again. Harris needs to want to do that side of the game and I don't think anybody can sort that side of things other than him.

Agree with you, I'm scared Alex will get a serious injury when he goes in for a half hearted tackle. Alex knows himself he needs to do and show more in games. I've said to many people he needs a team mate to clatter him in training, leave him with a sore one but get him back on his feet and he realises he can go in for a tackle and it's not going to be that bad.

A good pre season will help him

Thecat23
01-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Should have been loaned plain and simple. Was shot down at the time but he's nothing like the player he was. This boy has talent no doubt about it. But he's just not producing and deserves to be dropped. I'd put Cairney in instead.

18/03/07
01-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Cairney looks overweight to me, i would try Gold,Horribine or Smith from the 20's. But have to agree Harris needs a break away from the 1st team before all the boo boys from the crowd start on him

Thecat23
01-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Cairney looks overweight to me, i would try Gold,Horribine or Smith from the 20's. But have to agree Harris needs a break away from the 1st team before all the boo boys from the crowd start on him

Yeah could even throw in another youngster as Stanton has grabbed his chance and played well. Either way like you say if the fans get onto him it will make him worse!

Smiggy 7-0
01-03-2014, 01:01 PM

Aside from his confidence being six feet under I'm unsure if he has fully recovered following his injury.

He is running with a 'very slight' limp and seems to have lost all his pace. I understand that confidence has a huge part to play but this is not the same Alex Harris who turned up at Hamden against Falkirk.

He doesn't want the ball, struggles to beat a man and is outpaces regularly. Highlight was when he had a metre start on Gunning and got beat to the ball: very un-Harris like? This can't be down to match fitness and is certainly not a witch hunt, it's just genuine concern that a really bad injury has affected this guys main attribute: pace?!:agree: Think a few games for the U20's would probably help.

Jones28
01-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Something aint right, needs an arm round the shoulder and into the under 20's for a spell

Cameron1875
01-03-2014, 02:23 PM
He needs to give himself a shake cause his last few 'performances' have been beyond hopeless. Really rate him as a player so hope he doesn't go the way of many young players.

Thecat23
01-03-2014, 02:26 PM
He needs to give himself a shake cause his last few 'performances' have been beyond hopeless. Really rate him as a player so hope he doesn't go the way of many young players.

Yeah I agree. The last thing we want is another Booth or Spoony. Looked great at the start then did nothing at all.

Golden Bear
01-03-2014, 02:31 PM
The cynic in me would say that's it's not unusual for a player to lose form shortly after signing a contract extension. Not that I'd agree with that of course.

147lothian
01-03-2014, 02:39 PM
The cynic in me would say that's it's not unusual for a player to lose form shortly after signing a contract extension. Not that I'd agree with that of course.
Aye it could be that, or it could be that he hasn't recaptured his form before the injury either way the old Harris is sadly missing!

heretoday
01-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Cairney's not great but he's a tough customer who is a trier. That was sadly lacking last night.

My god Hibs were terrible. :eek:

RIP Bestie
01-03-2014, 03:07 PM
I have to be honest here. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about Harris. Apart from one game, the semi final, I've not seen much from him that gets me too excited. I certainly don't see him as the saviour and match winner a lot on here seem to think he is. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am but I don't think he's special

eastterrace
01-03-2014, 03:11 PM
I have to be honest here. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about Harris. Apart from one game, the semi final, I've not seen much from him that gets me too excited. I certainly don't see him as the saviour and match winner a lot on here seem to think he is. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am but I don't think he's special

im starting to think we are all believing our own hype on this, mean what has he really done, one good half against falkirk. if im wrong someone please tell me another game he was really good as i cant remember ( saying that my memory no to great tho).

Alfred E Newman
01-03-2014, 03:22 PM
There is no question that Alex is struggling but to have threads like this singling him out for criticism is ridiculous. The whole team were clueless last night with only Stanton and to a lesser degree Haynes deserving pass marks. The back four as a unit are awful and not one of them can pass a ball with any accuracy and the same goes for the midfield. Nelson may be a reasonable defender but can only blooter the ball in the direction he is facing and would be more suited to turning out for Newtongrange Star.
Our problems go far deeper than Harris I'm afraid, give the guy a break.

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Is there not another young lad in the 20's that is handy at right mid? Is it Ewan smith maybe, those that watch clarify if he could step up?

ancient hibee
01-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Harris will be a very good player for us.Think back to his pass to put Handling through against Celtic which should have resulted in a goal-he is an instinctive player.He's had a very bad injury (inflicted by a player who has put two other players on stretchers this season)it's bound to affect his confidence but playing is the only way to get it back.The trouble is the overall form of the team and the lack of a central midfielder who can create space for the wide players.

truehibernian
01-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Is there not another young lad in the 20's that is handy at right mid? Is it Ewan smith maybe, those that watch clarify if he could step up?

Dean Horribine can play there but I like him more central as play goes through him a lot - what Dean offers is energy and dig for a small guy. Huge heart, bags of potential. Rather surprised he's not been in the squad.

inglisavhibs
01-03-2014, 10:35 PM

He doesn't want the ball, struggles to beat a man and is outpaces regularly. Highlight was when he had a metre start on Gunning and got beat to the ball: very un-Harris like? This can't be down to match fitness and is certainly not a witch hunt, it's just genuine concern that a really bad injury has affected this guys main attribute: pace?!
I am concerned too, i was at hospitality fot the home match with Killie and on the pitch Alex was doing some jogging with other players coming back from injury. Even jogging it was clear that he was running with a slight limp and in my opinion still is. It may be that he needs another op to correct things. Can't stand our so called fans abusing him when it's clear all is not well. He was almost begging to be taken off on Saturday. Damn shame as he was showing huge potential last year.

silverhibee
01-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Barry Robson has no pace, I'd know who I'd rather have in my side. Liam needs to man up, work harder, and stop ball watching - get involved basically.

Also stop blaming others for his own mistakes and this pestering the ref all the time will just see him pick up more yellow cards, still puzzled on how he got back in to the team, has done nothing to merit it.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-03-2014, 11:19 PM
Also stop blaming others for his own mistakes and this pestering the ref all the time will just see him pick up more yellow cards, still puzzled on how he got back in to the team, has done nothing to merit it.

The team shouldn't have been changed from last week IMO.

spike220
01-03-2014, 11:59 PM
Having a bit of experience in serious injuries myself, I can see Harris improving slowly since his return. However a full return to fitness is about another six months away. But that is not to say he is still not our best option out wide. If there were a better option they would be playing. The only question is do we play in him in U20 or 1st team and I trust in Butcher to make the best decision in that regard. I think gradual progress is the best we can hope for. The main reason I think we are sticking with him is that the only only way he will get match fit is by playing week in and out. The main benefit from this tough spell will be six months down the line. He will regain his speed and confidence with time.

The biggest hurdle is managing expectations and keeping his confidence up, I have been watching him very closely since his return and he is getting quicker, but he only puts his afterburners on very occasionally and fades in and out the game, he is still favoring the non injured leg and is fearful of contact. All this is perfectly normal and to be expected. He still has an eye for a good pass, strikes the ball well and can get in the right position.

At the peak of his fitness he is a hell of of player and real handful. I look forward to see him beating his man regularly and playing with confidence in the not too distant future.

GGTTH

Pete
02-03-2014, 12:05 AM
Having a bit of experience in serious injuries myself, I can see Harris improving slowly since his return. However a full return to fitness is about another six months away. But that is not to say he is still not our best option out wide. If there were a better option they would be playing. But I think gradual progress is the best we can hope for. The main reason I think we are sticking with him is that the only only way he will get match fit is by playing week out. The main benefit from this tough spell will be six months down the line. He will regain his speed and confidence with time. The only question is do we play in him in U20 or 1st team and I trust in Butcher to make the best decision in that regard.

The biggest hurdle is managing expectations and keeping his confidence up, I have been watching him very closely since his return and he is getting quicker, but only puts his after burners on very occasionally, he is still favoring the non injured leg and is fearful of contact. All this is perfectly normal and to be expected.

At the peak of his fitness he is a hell of of player and real handful. I look forward to see him beating his man regularly and playing with confidence in the not too distant future.

GGTTH

:agree:

Just thinking that. Butcher obviously sees something in him and thinks that the right way to go is to give him a sustained run of first team games.

He's a tough lad and he'll be back to his best.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-03-2014, 12:09 AM
We'll see the best of him and Sam next year:agree:

NadeAteMyLunch!
02-03-2014, 12:22 AM
His performance against Falkirk last season was tremendous, however it's wrong to say it was his only good performance. He was good in almost every game he played last season. Came on against Hearts last season and looked tremendous. The away game against Killie that got cancelled, he scored and looked dangerous for an hour before it got called off, the away win at Tynie he was unplayable at times. Clearly a very decent player. Awful at the moment, however that's not his fault. Hopefully be back next season

eastterrace
02-03-2014, 12:25 PM
His performance against Falkirk last season was tremendous, however it's wrong to say it was his only good performance. He was good in almost every game he played last season. Came on against Hearts last season and looked tremendous. The away game against Killie that got cancelled, he scored and looked dangerous for an hour before it got called off, the away win at Tynie he was unplayable at times. Clearly a very decent player. Awful at the moment, however that's not his fault. Hopefully be back next season

glad you remembered me about those games, yes he did play well in these games, but he is definitely scared to go into a 50 / 50 tackle so being timid is not helping him. only he can solve that problem.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-03-2014, 01:15 PM
I see he uploaded a picture of his new boots arriving on Instagram last night, some young "fan" commented labelling him as a "useless ****".

One the bright side the legend that is Ivan Sproule commented "Hope there is goals in them, up the hibbies!" :thumbsup: