PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon and McGivern

macca70
28-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Absolutely dreadful!!

What a shambles we were at the back.

But these 2 need to have a word. Dundee United's 1st, what was that all aboot?! McGivern gifts the united boy the Baw on the halfway line then Hanlon gets nudged off the the ball in his own box.

Hermit Crab
28-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Absolutely dreadful!!

What a shambles we were at the back.

But these 2 need to have a word. Dundee United's 1st, what was that all aboot?! McGivern gifts the united boy the Baw on the halfway line then Hanlon gets nudged off the the ball in his own box.

Hanlon needs to get to the gym. Mcgivern needs to realise we play in green and white. Williams should emty anyone and anything and claim the ball in his 6yd box I'm sure Hanlon was marking gunning for that goal. 3rd caught on the break but williams beaten easily at his near post. His fault for 2 goals in my opinion.

hibee_girl
28-02-2014, 11:00 PM
McGivern also needs to realise he doesn't need to absolutely leather the ball every time he gets it, he is allowed to take time and pick out a pass!

Heisenberg
28-02-2014, 11:00 PM
Mcgivern has been dreadful for a long time now. At least Hanlon has played well at points this season. Mcgivern gets skinned easily and is always caught out of position. Get us some proper fullbacks in the summer TB.

Bishop Hibee
28-02-2014, 11:04 PM
I thought Mcgivern was our best defender. Some great blocks. Hanlon was fouled for their first goal.

whereswallace?
28-02-2014, 11:07 PM
I thought Mcgivern was our best defender. Some great blocks. Hanlon was fouled for their first goal.

Saying Mcgivern was our best defender is like saying breaking your right leg is better than breaking your left leg. And Hanlon was not fouled, he was out muscled and not strong enough.

btw hope you don't take that as a dig at you, just saying that they were all pish.

truehibernian
28-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Two new centre halves for me in summer with Jordon/Hanlon fighting for a place or covering for injuries - I've now seen enough of Paul as a first pick. Gave him credit this season but tonight proved he will never ever make a step up from SPFL. We need a totally fresh defensive unit.

Billy Dodds sadly called it after the game - it is a total rebuild, all over the park, and that makes TB's job incredibly difficult. Unlike other managers, there is no foundation to build on and around in my opinion.

Before the first day of pre-season we should be seeing around 8 players announced, not this last minute nonsense Petrie stunt that's continually being pulled. And those 8 players are the building blocks for the next 3 seasons to add to every window thereafter.

MotherSuperior
28-02-2014, 11:11 PM
I also think that McGivern was the best of a bad bunch tonight. Craig, harris and Hanlon were particularly dreadful tonight imo.

hibee_girl
28-02-2014, 11:13 PM

McGivern was but that's not saying much tonight!

Jones28
01-03-2014, 12:29 AM
I dont think singling anyone out for criticism after that is fair.

They were all ***** in their own way.

snooky
01-03-2014, 12:40 AM
Saying Mcgivern was our best defender is like saying breaking your right leg is better than breaking your left leg. And Hanlon was not fouled, he was out muscled and not strong enough.

btw hope you don't take that as a dig at you, just saying that they were all pish.

McGivern seems to lose concentration a lot and Hanlon seems to have a balance and/or upper body strength deficiency.
Well, at least that's how I see it.

Del Boy
01-03-2014, 01:05 AM
Hanlon was not fouled for first goal. Outmuscled and then skinned.

B.H.F.C
01-03-2014, 01:10 AM

Never a foul on Hanlon. The boy just lent in to him and was stronger.

Not going to be too critical of Hanlon though as he's been good this season. Had a nightmare tonight though.

Liberal Hibby
01-03-2014, 01:24 AM
Hanlon is not the problem and will no doubt be the first choice pick defender at 26 for whoever suceeds Tel. But we clearly have a problem at full back - Forster is doing his best, but appears to be much better at centre half. McGivern is an enigma - he clearly knows how to defend but likes wandering around pointing too much (I'm sure he turned up in the first half on the right wing trying to put a cross in).

But we were really poor defensively tonight out wide.

O'Rourke3
01-03-2014, 01:27 AM
I'm normally quite placid and hate pointing fingers but McGivern was honking tonight. Hanlon was out muscled for the first and nearly dithered his way to letting a second go. Nelson was out jumped by Gunning for their second. Forster scored but was an ineffectual right back. Despite all of that Ryan was the worst of the bad bunch. A few headers when he slotted in as a third CH after the sending off is the least I'd expect. He has no idea how or when to pass. Booked and should have had a second. Caught out of position.....and don't start me on the barnet.

The Beastie Bus
01-03-2014, 07:59 AM
McGiverns distribution of the ball is awful, saying that the whole
Team were brutal last night, the ball is given away far too cheaply, we can't keep possession for more than 2 or 3 passes, lose the ball and don't win it back leading to chance after chance being gifted to the opposition. Just a shambles last night. I know Kevin Thomson tends to slow the game down but at least he can pass the ball more than 5 yards to a team mate.

Aldo
01-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Have to say that I've been very supportive of Paul Hanlon for sometime now and has been one of our better players this season but omg he was terrible last nite (mind you so were others).

No excuses just woeful. Shame really.

Greenworld
01-03-2014, 10:09 AM

Can I have some of your drugs please...mcgivern is pish has been
for a long time....hanlon has been ok but to light weight when one on
One gets brushed of the ball to easily..

truehibernian
01-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Can I have some of your drugs please...mcgivern is pish has been
for a long time....hanlon has been ok but to light weight when one on
One gets brushed of the ball to easily..

Rewind back to Fir Park, last minutes, Paul v Lucas Jutkiewicz - fast forward a few seasons to last night ?

No change for me. Can't compete when it really matters.

#FromTheCapital
01-03-2014, 10:22 AM
A night Paul Hanlon will want to forget. Centre Halfs shouldn't be getting subbed.

Winston Ingram
01-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Hanlon's worst game for years.

Hibercelona
01-03-2014, 10:25 AM
The only defender that looked "ok" last night was Forster.

Hanlon, McGivern and Nelson were woeful and Boateng has to except responsibility for the 3rd goal.

However, the midfield didn't do the defence any favours in the build up to all of their goals either, so I don't want them thinking that they're free from criticism either, because they're certainly not.

PISTOL1875
01-03-2014, 10:28 AM
McGivern also needs to realise he doesn't need to absolutely leather the ball every time he gets it, he is allowed to take time and pick out a pass!

Make sure you add Nelson to that , he hoofs the ball away every single time.. Not even interested in looking for a pass...

Liberal Hibby
01-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Centre Halfs shouldn't be getting subbed.

Wasn't he injured? Took a kick to the head a few mins earlier...

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-03-2014, 11:02 PM
A night Paul Hanlon will want to forget. Centre Halfs shouldn't be getting subbed.

He got injured when he made a tackle and signled to the bench.

#FromTheCapital
01-03-2014, 11:07 PM
He got injured when he made a tackle and signled to the bench.

Must have missed that. Either way he was shocking and could/should have been subbed regardless.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Must have missed that. Either way he was shocking and could/should have been subbed regardless.

His worst performance for a while anyway.

eggbamyasi
02-03-2014, 02:40 AM
Think hanlon was poor last night , but has had a decent season and quite like him when hes on form . For me mcgivern defending is ok but his distribution is Truely awful the worst I have seen in a long time . We need new LB and RB defo . Important these positions are good passers aswell as def and mcgivern just cant pass on fri night I could not believe he was playing in a first team in spl ! . Also I really dont think nelson is good enough again his passing is so bad he just blooters it every single time aimlessly and his defending on fri was piss poor imo . Need new CBs .happy too keep hanlon and forster imo think both will get better and better .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
02-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Rewind back to Fir Park, last minutes, Paul v Lucas Jutkiewicz - fast forward a few seasons to last night ?

No change for me. Can't compete when it really matters.

Agree with that.

RIP Bestie
02-03-2014, 11:51 PM
Agree with that.
Would like to see McGivern given a chance at left centre back. If that doesn't work out I think we should try to cut our losses with him and move him on. He will no doubt be one of the top earners. But I don't see him as a left back. Hanlon is at best a bottom 6 player. I don't see enough improvement in him in the time he has been in the first team to think that he is someone that is going to take us forward. But if we want to continue to be a bottom 6 team, by all means make him captain. He is a trier and an honest player but in my opinion he simply isn't good enough.

Hibbyradge
03-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Have to say that I've been very supportive of Paul Hanlon for sometime now and has been one of our better players this season but omg he was terrible last nite (mind you so were others).

No excuses just woeful. Shame really.

Every player has a bad game now and again.

I'm sure Paul would admit that he played poorly on Friday, but it would be madness to exclude him from the team in future as some are demanding.

truehibernian
03-03-2014, 09:16 AM

I'm sure Paul would admit that he played poorly on Friday, but it would be madness to exclude him from the team in future as some are demanding.

Paul has indeed been on decent form mate but I'm looking at it over the past 4 or 5 seasons when he broke into the side and consolidated his position at centre half. For me he isn't even the best centre half in the squad, Jordon Forster is.

Everyone makes errors, the much lauded Shaun Hutchinson (why I don't know) made a horrendous error v United the week before too. I think a sensible fan will always realise that.

My issues with Paul are over a few seasons and whether or not he is developing into a really good centre half, which again in my opinion, he is not - the only side I'm aware of ever looking at Paul from a distance were Fulham a couple of years ago whilst Billy McKinlay was there. There are not a host of clubs pounding Hibs' door to sign him. Whereas I'd hazard a guess that clubs down south would want to sign Gunning, Meekings, Reynolds, Dave McKay - the main centres at clubs above us.

I've no doubt Paul Hanlon is a top bloke, great professional, really hard worker and off the field a dream to work with - but he ain't hard enough, fast enough or good enough over the piece.

If we are really going to rebuild I'm in the camp that hopes we don't build our defensive unit around Paul - rather I'd see us build it around Jordon Forster, who has more talent, skill and further development in him.

Hibbyradge
03-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Paul has indeed been on decent form mate but I'm looking at it over the past 4 or 5 seasons when he broke into the side and consolidated his position at centre half. For me he isn't even the best centre half in the squad, Jordon Forster is.

Everyone makes errors, the much lauded Shaun Hutchinson (why I don't know) made a horrendous error v United the week before too. I think a sensible fan will always realise that.

My issues with Paul are over a few seasons and whether or not he is developing into a really good centre half, which again in my opinion, he is not - the only side I'm aware of ever looking at Paul from a distance were Fulham a couple of years ago whilst Billy McKinlay was there. There are not a host of clubs pounding Hibs' door to sign him. Whereas I'd hazard a guess that clubs down south would want to sign Gunning, Meekings, Reynolds, Dave McKay - the main centres at clubs above us.

I've no doubt Paul Hanlon is a top bloke, great professional, really hard worker and off the field a dream to work with - but he ain't hard enough, fast enough or good enough over the piece.

If we are really going to rebuild I'm in the camp that hopes we don't build our defensive unit around Paul - rather I'd see us build it around Jordon Forster, who has more talent, skill and further development in him.

I'm interested in your thoughts about Jordon Foster.

I've actually been quite impressed with him at right back and I'm hoping he can develop into that role permanently. I know he has looked out of position on occasion, but he's been getting little or no support from Alex Harris.

You've probably seen more of him at centre half than me, but I've not seen anything which suggests he's anything special in that role.

truehibernian
03-03-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm interested in your thoughts about Jordon Foster.

I've actually been quite impressed with him at right back and I'm hoping he can develop into that role permanently. I know he has looked out of position on occasion, but he's been getting little or no support from Alex Harris.

You've probably seen more of him at centre half than me, but I've not seen anything which suggests he's anything special in that role.

What you get with Jordon is an instinctive ability to put his head where it is going to hurt, something I think you cannot coach into someone - it's bravery that's inbuilt. He is quick for someone his size, likes getting forward and looks comfortable with the ball at his feet. His stature is such that he will not be bullied - he needs to work harder on his positional sense in my opinion, but from set pieces he is undeniably a huge threat - not even played a full season of games in the top team and he has scored a couple of goals, had headers off the bar, creates havoc in the opposition box.

I simply feel even at this early stage Jordon has heaps of potential and development in his game. Paul has had a few seasons, albeit in poor sides, but he has had experience next to him. I'm harsh in my criticism I know - I just like centre halves to look like they'd smile at you at the same time as standing hard on yer toes - Paul is 'too nice' if you know what I mean ?

blackpoolhibs
03-03-2014, 09:44 AM
I have never been Paul Hanlons biggest fan, but he has been in my opinion our best defender this season.

I still think he's not great on the ball, or someone who dominates his opponent enough, and not quick enough, but he'd improved over the last 12-18 months into our best defender, and that is a kind of backhanded compliment as our defense has been awful for quite a while.

Now i'm not making him out to be the next Terry Butcher, and i'd like better in every position if i'm honest, but in reality i'd imagine we will be replacing others who are out of contract first.

I'd just put fridays performance down to him having a stinker, he's normally much better than that. I'm still not his biggest fan, but there are a LOT more players we need to be punting before we get round to Paul.

Hibbyradge
03-03-2014, 09:46 AM
What you get with Jordon is an instinctive ability to put his head where it is going to hurt, something I think you cannot coach into someone - it's bravery that's inbuilt. He is quick for someone his size, likes getting forward and looks comfortable with the ball at his feet. His stature is such that he will not be bullied - he needs to work harder on his positional sense in my opinion, but from set pieces he is undeniably a huge threat - not even played a full season of games in the top team and he has scored a couple of goals, had headers off the bar, creates havoc in the opposition box.

I simply feel even at this early stage Jordon has heaps of potential and development in his game. Paul has had a few seasons, albeit in poor sides, but he has had experience next to him. I'm harsh in my criticism I know - I just like centre halves to look like they'd smile at you at the same time as standing hard on yer toes - Paul is 'too nice' if you know what I mean ?

Thanks for that. I'll pay more attention, particularly when JF get's a centre half berth again.

I know what you mean about PH appearing too nice. He's certainly not someone who a striker would be physically afraid of.

My main concern for him is that he definitely struggles when the ball goes over his head. Nelson would simply get there and hoof it out of the park, but Paul seems to be indecisive.

Butcher was touting him for Scotland recently - it probably put too much pressure on him - so I'm sure he'll settle down again.

superfurryhibby
03-03-2014, 10:04 AM
I have always thought that McGivern's best spell at Hibs was when he played centre half. He looked composed there. Surely worth trying out in the middle again. He's got to offer more than Nelson in that position?

truehibernian
03-03-2014, 10:21 AM
I have never been Paul Hanlons biggest fan, but he has been in my opinion our best defender this season.

I still think he's not great on the ball, or someone who dominates his opponent enough, and not quick enough, but he'd improved over the last 12-18 months into our best defender, and that is a kind of backhanded compliment as our defense has been awful for quite a while.

Now i'm not making him out to be the next Terry Butcher, and i'd like better in every position if i'm honest, but in reality i'd imagine we will be replacing others who are out of contract first.

I'd just put fridays performance down to him having a stinker, he's normally much better than that. I'm still not his biggest fan, but there are a LOT more players we need to be punting before we get round to Paul.

I'm not suggesting even that we punt Paul Hanlon BH - merely that we should be building our defensive unit around McGivern, Forster and making additions from there. Hanlon for me would be a useful squad player but not my first pick. I really rate Andy Black and would love to see him push for the right back slot, adding an experienced righ back in summer too.

I also agree with you about Paul being improved and our best defender this year - sometimes though you need to start from scratch and come up with a revamped/refreshed backline. Having had centre halves at right back, left midfielders at left and right back, and central pairings mixed and matched, it's no surprise we are where we are - no cohesion, nu unity and no understanding.

Proper right back, proper left back, proper centre halves, solid keeper. At one point I thought wee Lewis might get the royal flush of football positions and play keeper this year :greengrin

Brightside
03-03-2014, 10:47 AM
I'm not suggesting even that we punt Paul Hanlon BH - merely that we should be building our defensive unit around McGivern, Forster and making additions from there. Hanlon for me would be a useful squad player but not my first pick. I really rate Andy Black and would love to see him push for the right back slot, adding an experienced righ back in summer too.

I also agree with you about Paul being improved and our best defender this year - sometimes though you need to start from scratch and come up with a revamped/refreshed backline. Having had centre halves at right back, left midfielders at left and right back, and central pairings mixed and matched, it's no surprise we are where we are - no cohesion, nu unity and no understanding.

Proper right back, proper left back, proper centre halves, solid keeper. At one point I thought wee Lewis might get the royal flush of football positions and play keeper this year :greengrin

Hanlon and Forster will hopefully be out CH team for years to come. We need a new LB and a new RB. They need to be quick, decent in defence and able to string in decent crosses. We need a strong CM player to support Stanton and allow him to play off the strikers. We need a winger or two with the ability to take players on, pass, and work hard.

The following players wont be around after this year i believe...

Craig
Cairney
Thomson
Heff
OTJ
Nelson

scoopyboy
03-03-2014, 11:22 AM

Not seen it mentioned anywhere (it might have been though as I'm still reeling after Friday) but I believe Paul was suffering from concussion.

Brightside
03-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Not seen it mentioned anywhere (it might have been though as I'm still reeling after Friday) but I believe Paul was suffering from concussion.

He was indeed after throwing himself infront of a flying boot and another goal. He had a very poor game by his standards this year. Or a very normal game if it was Nelson! It happens. He'll sort himself out and be MoM next game.