PDA

View Full Version : Club from League 1 hogging the sports pages......

Hibernia Na Eir
28-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Don't you just hate that irritating Glasgow outfit from League 1 hogging the sports pages each and every day. Who is interested?! Today has a massive piece on them again with coffin dodger McCoy face splattering the main pages. not nice reading. Give us a break, please!

CropleyWasGod
28-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Don't you just hate that irritating Glasgow outfit from League 1 hogging the sports pages each and every day. Who is interested?! Today has a massive piece on them again with coffin dodger McCoy face splattering the main pages. not nice reading. Give us a break, please!

Like it or not, they do have a bigger core support, and hence readership, than most of the top league put together.

hibIBZ
28-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Tonight the basketball league medal presentation is happening in Falkirk. Be a crowd of about 500. Won't even have the score printed in any but local paper. Msm just don't care about anything other that the ugly sisterr

Hibercelona
28-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Like it or not, they do have a bigger core support, and hence readership, than most of the top league put together.

They haven't half picked up a following and media attention for a club that isn't even 2 years old yet. :confused:

Sir David Gray
28-02-2014, 10:37 AM

Yep.

The new club has the same fanbase that the old Rangers had and subsequently they are one of the two most supported clubs in the country.

More people in the country will want to read about Sevco than about Hibs or Hearts and therefore the newspaper editors will print more about them.

It's sad but true.

green&left
28-02-2014, 10:38 AM
What sport pages? The Sun? Star? Record?

Easiest thing to do would be to stop buying them. They are filled with utter pish from start to finish anyway.

Saorsa
28-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Yep.

The new club has the same fanbase that the old Rangers had and subsequently they are one of the two most supported clubs in the country.

More people in the country will want to read about Sevco than about Hibs or Hearts and therefore the newspaper editors will print more about them.

It's sad but true.but people can of course choose no tae read them. I find it quite amusing that every week we have a thread/s with people complaining about what is in these rags even though they ken what is highly likely going tae be in them, yet still choose tae buy/read them.

Mikey09
28-02-2014, 10:47 AM
BRING BACK THE PINK!!!!!! :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
28-02-2014, 10:49 AM
They haven't half picked up a following and media attention for a club that isn't even 2 years old yet. :confused:

Yup... pretty good media strategy from them I'd suggest.

:cb

Saorsa
28-02-2014, 10:50 AM
BRING BACK THE PINK!!!!!! :greengrinProbably no much point these days if it was printed by the Scotsman/evening news as it would probably be like them now, a yam fanzine.

Hibernia Na Eir
28-02-2014, 10:52 AM

they may well do, but the stories which continually spew out are of little interest to anyone else and are, quite frankly, extremely boring. Flick on......

Looks like a summer full of it with their crappy ST talk too.

Oh s***t!

Hibernia Na Eir
28-02-2014, 10:55 AM
but people can of course choose no tae read them. I find it quite amusing that every week we have a thread/s with people complaining about what is in these rags even though they ken what is highly likely going tae be in them, yet still choose tae buy/read them.

not much longer!
im giving up my red top from next week. Bored stiff with the sports pages. same old predictable pash every single day.

CropleyWasGod
28-02-2014, 11:08 AM
they may well do, but the stories which continually spew out are of little interest to anyone else and are, quite frankly, extremely boring. Flick on......

Looks like a summer full of it with their crappy ST talk too.

Oh s***t!

So, should they pander to the minority?

Mikey09
28-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Probably no much point these days if it was printed by the Scotsman/evening news as it would probably be like them now, a yam fanzine.

You're probably right Dan... But I used to love picking up my copy in the chippy after the game. :thumbsup:

poolman
28-02-2014, 11:13 AM

I'm old enough to remember the green :greengrin

fat freddy
28-02-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm old enough to remember the green :greengrin

your old enough to remember the town crier announcing the results from a wooden box at mercat cross

nribs
28-02-2014, 11:25 AM

Now hogging the 1st page of Hibs.net:rolleyes::greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
28-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Tonight the basketball league medal presentation is happening in Falkirk. Be a crowd of about 500. Won't even have the score printed in any but local paper. Msm just don't care about anything other that the ugly sisterr

The tabloids have clearly missed a major market that will buy their product. You have to wonder what their priorities are. :rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
28-02-2014, 11:30 AM

:agree: and Brylcreem, return bus tickets, Guards Heavy, Terylene suits, pickled eggs, Mothers Pride, and that advert that said "open windae, that's handy". :greengrin

Smartie
28-02-2014, 11:45 AM
I used to really object to the endless media drivel during their 10 in a row era - pointless transfer speculation, "Brian Laudrup - why are you so good?" etc etc

I have to say I find a lot of the coverage over all platforms in relation to their current predicament fascinating, from the MSM angle, the Celtic-minded angle and even the hard to fathom Rangers angle. Not to mention the excellent Hibs.net Rangers thread.

To be honest, I can't get enough of the endless bickering, in-fighting, allegations of corruption, double-crossing, deception etc. Sure as heck beats Scottish football in the entertainment stakes.

JAY-ESS GREEN
28-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Yep.

It's sad but true.

They might want to read this guff,but unfortunately beyond most of the knuckle draggers capabilities

hibIBZ
28-02-2014, 12:12 PM
The tabloids have clearly missed a major market that will buy their product. You have to wonder what their priorities are. :rolleyes:

Every single Sunday league 2, non league and junior football matches get newspaper coverage with lower attendances than other sports that get completely ignored namely basketball, netball and ice hockey. All 3 sports have pro teams in this country regularly attracting crowds up to 1000 and get zero coverage in the msm.apart from the Scotsman, even the Scottish rugby team that has sell out crowds of over 65,000 are relegated well behind football matches with very small attendances

Hibernia Na Eir
28-02-2014, 12:13 PM
So, should they pander to the minority?

cut down perhaps?

CropleyWasGod
28-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Every single Sunday league 2, non league and junior football matches get newspaper coverage with lower attendances than other sports that get completely ignored namely basketball, netball and ice hockey. All 3 sports have pro teams in this country regularly attracting crowds up to 1000 and get zero coverage in the msm.apart from the Scotsman, even the Scottish rugby team that has sell out crowds of over 65,000 are relegated well behind football matches with very small attendances

I never read the red-tops, but.... seriously? Even in the Herald?

Phil D. Rolls
28-02-2014, 12:17 PM

As I implied, if people bought papers to read about basketball, they'd be printing more about it. They've only got so much space to fill, and it would appear they don't think they can make money off minor sports.

You said yourself 500 people will go to the big game tonight. I reckon my local Sainsburys will have that many people through its doors in half an hour.

The papers are interested in the stories that most people want to read. They aren't into quality, they're into quantity.

hibIBZ
28-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Not sure about the herald but certainly in the red tops. But nothing will change, all they want to talk about in the Scottish media is the same rubbish of what is happening with the old firm

CropleyWasGod
28-02-2014, 12:18 PM
cut down perhaps?

Perhaps, but would that (a) keep you as a reader and (b) keep the majority audience?

Hibbyradge
28-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Can you imagine how annoying it would be if both ugly sisters joined the EPL and then jointly hogged the back, front and middle pages...

Hibercelona
28-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Can you imagine how annoying it would be if both ugly sisters joined the EPL and then jointly hogged the back, front and middle pages...

Who cares?

If I want to read about Hibs, I just come on here to read about them. We beat every media outlet to the punch anyway.

I personally hope the uglies do join the English Leagues.

CropleyWasGod
28-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Not sure about the herald but certainly in the red tops. But nothing will change, all they want to talk about in the Scottish media is the same rubbish of what is happening with the old firm

If that's where their customer base is, then that's what they need to talk about. Pure commerciality.

Hibbyradge
28-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Who cares?

Presumably the OP and those who are irritated by the current Rangers coverage.

Hibercelona
28-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Presumably the OP and those who are irritated by the current Rangers coverage.

Quite often, people care more about complaining, than what it is that they're actually complaining about.

Mikey09
28-02-2014, 12:56 PM
:agree: and Brylcreem, return bus tickets, Guards Heavy, Terylene suits, pickled eggs, Mothers Pride, and that advert that said "open windae, that's handy". :greengrin

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

:top marks

Hibbyradge
28-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Quite often, people care more about complaining, than what it is that they're actually complaining about.

It irritates me that Rangers are on TV every week, but I don't complain about it because I understand the TV companies have to broadcast what their audience wants to see.

It would irritate me even more if Rantic went to England and hogged the live TV slots, which they would. That would be doubly irritating if there's a Yes vote in the referendum.

It will irritate me more again if the sponsors followed the TV cameras, which they would, but there would be no point in complaining, even for the folk who you say care about doing so.

Funny old game, innit?

hibIBZ
28-02-2014, 01:05 PM
If that's where their customer base is, then that's what they need to talk about. Pure commerciality.

Exactly this. Talking about rangers and Celtic sells more papers than talking about the other teams, never mind other sports. Nothing will change for the forseeable future

Mikey09
28-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Exactly this. Talking about rangers and Celtic sells more papers than talking about the other teams, never mind other sports. Nothing will change for the forseeable future

Its been like this for donkeys.... And it will be like this for donkeys.... Why do people get upset over this?? Dinnae buy it, problem solved.

Eyrie
28-02-2014, 05:26 PM
As I implied, if people bought papers to read about basketball, they'd be printing more about it. They've only got so much space to fill, and it would appear they don't think they can make money off minor sports.

You said yourself 500 people will go to the big game tonight. I reckon my local Sainsburys will have that many people through its doors in half an hour.

The papers are interested in the stories that most people want to read. They aren't into quality, they're into quantity.

I can understand Sevco Huns getting coverage due to the size of the fanbase they picked up when Huns RIP went bust but outwith them, how many people want to read about games involving League One or Two sides? There will be less interest in any of those games than there is in a sport like basketball or ice hockey, yet they still get more coverage because they are football.