PDA

View Full Version : Hibs heading to the English leagues

3pm
27-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Maybe a slight exaggeration but does anyone know anything about Jimmy Spence's tweets?

Jim Spence ‏@bbcjimspence · 1h
Notion of politicians pushing for Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and Utd to play in England is surely Walter Mitty stuff





Details

“@BawOnTheSlates: @bbcjimspence Shot down by English or Scots clubs?”by Scottish clubs.

Scouse Hibee
27-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Maybe a slight exaggeration but does anyone know anything about Jimmy Spence's tweets?

Notion of politicians pushing for Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and Utd to play in England is surely Walter Mitty stuff





Details

“@BawOnTheSlates: @bbcjimspence Shot down by English or Scots clubs?”by Scottish clubs.

We might even challenge for promotion to the championship within a few years.

3pm
27-02-2014, 07:27 PM

Can't see the English being that keen on taking a Scottish Championship team either.

Bishop Hibee
27-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Why does this rubbish keep being rehashed?

weonlywon6-2
27-02-2014, 07:29 PM
that Johnstons Paints trophy would be worth a crack,tough opposition though

snooky
27-02-2014, 07:31 PM

Sorry, I'm not genetically programmed to deal with this sort of thing. :wink:

Jonnyboy
27-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Knowing Jim I doubt this is a kite flying exercise and suspect it has an element of fact to it. Having said that I think it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

weonlywon6-2
27-02-2014, 07:39 PM
it aint gonna happen but would be quite good if it did,we would become a lot more wealthier as a club

Nando™
27-02-2014, 07:43 PM
it aint gonna happen but would be quite good if it did,we would become a lot more wealthier as a club

Wealthier in Scottish terms aye. But we would just end up in the wilderness of English football with the likes of Derby, never to grace European football or win trophies ever again.

weonlywon6-2
27-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Wealthier in Scottish terms aye. But we would just end up in the wilderness of English football with the likes of Derby, never to grace European football or win trophies ever again.

yeah possibly but it is easier to attract players to Edinburgh than it would be to say Sheffield.

we dont win many trophys anyway but i think given the option of playing against english opposition would be popular with most of the support,but not all

adhibs
27-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Wouldnt be surprised if this turns out to be some vote no and this could happen bull****

nonshinyfinish
27-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Wouldnt be surprised if this turns out to be some vote no and this could happen bull****

That thought had crossed my mind too.

bingo70
27-02-2014, 08:06 PM
I would hate this to happen.

We're not an english club so i dont want us to pretend to be one.

If any of them want to join our leagues they can wait for a club to fold and apply to take there place.

whiskyhibby
27-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Knowing Jim I doubt this is a kite flying exercise and suspect it has an element of fact to it. Having said that I think it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Who knows what will happen....................It might be worth it to get rid of the GFA and their west coast bias, even if it means losing the Scotland National side

:duck:

Jack Hackett
27-02-2014, 08:11 PM
That thought had crossed my mind too.

Didn't just cross mine. It stopped and had a party before crashing in my cerebellum. Carrot, anyone?

GreenCastle
27-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Will never happen.

England don't need us.

Plus all teams would have to start at bottom of English pyramid.

More nonsense.

inglisavhibs
27-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Can't see the English being that keen on taking a Scottish Championship team either.
Better idea for the Scottish League to invite Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesborough and even Carlisle to join us. Then we could have a very competitive 16 club league which the TV companies would be very interested in. These clubs never get in to Europe but in our league they would have a great chance of regular European competition. If Berwick can do it why not the others.

GreenCastle
27-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Better idea for the Scottish League to invite Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesborough and even Carlisle to join us. Then we could have a very competitive 16 club league which the TV companies would be very interested in. These clubs never get in to Europe but in our league they would have a great chance of regular European competition. If Berwick can do it why not the others.

:confused: :faf:

Why would they leave ?

They would have to start at bottom of Scottish Leagues now there is a pyramid in Scotland.

Newcastle and Middlesbrough have been in Europe pretty recently and with Sunderland in having 2 decent cup runs may make it this season!

SurferRosa
27-02-2014, 08:31 PM
We`re a Scottish club who play in the Scottish league. That`s where we should be.

If Celtic and SevCo want to piss off however, they can go any time they like. I`ll help them pack.

inglisavhibs
27-02-2014, 08:40 PM
:confused: :faf:

Why would they leave ?

They would have to start at bottom of Scottish Leagues now there is a pyramid in Scotland.

Newcastle and Middlesbrough have been in Europe pretty recently and with Sunderland in having 2 decent cup runs may make it this season!
They have no chance of champions league football at the moment but they would have a great chance of regular participation from a Scottish League. The big down side is not having the big five or six top clubs visiting them on league business. I am fully aware that it won't happen but merely saying it would solve all of Scotland's problems including the lack of real competition.

The_Exile
27-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Aye but they get about 40 million a year in TV money, what would they get up here? A kick in the stanes and a sherbet dab?!!

GreenCastle
27-02-2014, 08:45 PM
They have no chance of champions league football at the moment but they would have a great chance of regular participation from a Scottish League. The big down side is not having the big five or six top clubs visiting them on league business. I am fully aware that it won't happen but merely saying it would solve all of Scotland's problems including the lack of real competition.

It wouldn't help any teams except the English teams - all the Scottish Teams would have even less chance of challenging for trophies / Europe.
'
England doesn't rely on opposition teams visiting them - the TV money etc shared out. TV and sponsorship money we can only ever dream of up here.

Crazy thinking - You may be right that the only teams seeing CL football in near future will be Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City - though I've watched Newcastle in Champions League a few years ago so its happened.

frazeHFC
27-02-2014, 08:51 PM
I'm sure Newcastle/Sunderland fans would jump at the opportunity to swap going to the Emirates, Old Trafford etc for trips to Victoria Stadium and Firhill right enough!

basehibby
27-02-2014, 08:51 PM
What a load of twaddle! The English Leagues never wanted the gruesome twosome when they were tarting themselves shamelessly in their direction only a few years back - why, with Scotland potentially on the cusp of becoming an independent nation, would they suddenly do a volte face? Scottish football has always been exactly that for better or worse, - jumping the border at this point would be contrary to the social zeitgeist and potentialy an act of folly for all concerned :cb

whiskyhibby
27-02-2014, 08:55 PM

Champions league participation..........................mmh, even now Scotland only get in at the Qualifying stages where the money is s°°°°

Far better to be part of a bigger, properly financed league wherew the financial rewards are several times what can be expected in Scotland......Unless the SNP are going to Nationalise Fitba (Clowns in every respect....:devil:)

AndyM_1875
27-02-2014, 09:16 PM
We`re a Scottish club who play in the Scottish league. That`s where we should be.

If Celtic and SevCo want to piss off however, they can go any time they like. I`ll help them pack.

Bang on. As Rangers get nearer the top flight we'll here more of this nonsense. And don't let anyone fool you that Celtic and Rangers wouldn't gaily skip off down the M6 hand in hand given half a chance.

edwards
27-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Might be a last ditch attempt to scupper Independance :greengrin

ScottB
27-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Smacks of some nonsensical 'vote No and yer club might get to play in the Premiership' type idiocy.

If this really has been discussed by some, presumably Better Together politicians, then I really question if they haven't got anything better to do with their time and our ****** money.

But if we assume it to be a genuine wondering rather than some petty political fleshy spheres:

1. The English Leagues have never wanted the Old Firm, who at least together have very large crowds, even in premiership terms, why would they be clamouring for a bunch of other little clubs to come south?

2. Why not just propose merging the whole lot?

3. FIFA / UEFA will come down on you like a ton of bricks if they suspect political meddling in football.

4. It's a lot of complete and utter bull****.

jgl07
27-02-2014, 10:08 PM

Hibs are potentially a bigger club than both Swansea (and have a similar sized stadium) and Cardiff.

They both have experience of European football. Swansea won a major trophy last season.

TRC
27-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Uk leauge better together. Insert ducking smiley

mentalhibee
27-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Would be great, Can't see it ever happening though.

jgl07
27-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Might be a last ditch attempt to scupper Independance :greengrin
I think that the Yes Campaign are scuppering it without any needing any help!

Cabbage East
27-02-2014, 10:30 PM
No thanks.

LancsHibs
27-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Hibs playing in England. Would suit me just fine:big grin:

hibee_nation
27-02-2014, 10:54 PM
I think that the Yes Campaign are scuppering it without any needing any help!

Think you will find the yes vote is narrowing the gap but you dream on.

cleanyman
27-02-2014, 11:01 PM
We're a British club and should be taking the best option available.

England is the way

SteveHFC
27-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Can't wait for the trips to Swindon, Fleetwood, Sheffield, Bradford and Luton :cb

Hibercelona
27-02-2014, 11:05 PM
We're a British club and should be taking the best option available.

England is the way

:fishin:

HibeeHutch
27-02-2014, 11:18 PM
In contrast with my political beliefs I'm actually in favour of a pan-British Isles style league - a la North American leagues.

*There's no reason we couldn't still qualify for Europe - 4th highest Scottish finishers qualify in say Championship and Premiership qualify for ChLg/Europa...
*And there's no reason why we couldn't still retain the Scottish Cup (this could also have a European place/s)
*If qualifying for Europe through the league system didn't work then perhaps through Scottish and League Cups

This would ensure balance of competition across all tournaments, retaining identity but maximizing revenue potential of British league set-up. I would be excited about a league with Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Nottm Forest, Derby, Leeds, OPR etc. And possibly the OF too if they were not good enough for the top-tier and where in the second-tier with us.

Greencore
27-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Lol

Tinribs
27-02-2014, 11:43 PM
For the first time ever, i have not read all the comments before replying. But for me, i do not need to. We are a Scottish team, and in my lifetime i have not seen any reason to go to a foreign league.

And btw, i am also a NO voter for the up-coming referendum...go figure.

Hibercelona
27-02-2014, 11:50 PM
For the first time ever, i have not read all the comments before replying. But for me, i do not need to. We are a Scottish team, and in my lifetime i have not seen any reason to go to a foreign league.

And btw, i am also a NO voter for the up-coming referendum...go figure.

Why would you vote for foreigners to continue running our country?

JohnStephens91
27-02-2014, 11:53 PM
I think we should join the Welsh league, romp to the title and play in Champions League qualifiers or we should join the MLS and become a franchise - The Hibernian Harps. Both ideas sound ridiculous - much like the notion of playing in the English league set-up.

green.and.white
28-02-2014, 01:23 AM
I think we should join the Welsh league, romp to the title and play in Champions League qualifiers or we should join the MLS and become a franchise - The Hibernian Harps. Both ideas sound ridiculous - much like the notion of playing in the English league set-up.

The Edinburgh Cannons soccer franchise is the way forward :agree:

WellingtonHibby
28-02-2014, 03:48 AM
Edinburgh Hibernators!

Leishy1995
28-02-2014, 03:55 AM
Edinburgh Hibernators!

When a parody made us famous

Pete
28-02-2014, 04:12 AM
The entertaining 0-0 draw between Swansea and Naples first got me thinking about this. They are from a small city and play in a ground no bigger than ours, yet they have football that we haven't seen for forty years and never will again.

"We are Scottish and should therefore play in a Scottish league" is no argument. Swansea and Cardiff have strong Welsh identities yet play in an English set-up. They have lost none of their National identity.

A British league would be superb and give us an opportunity to grow. There's a glass ceiling in Scotland and we will never improve in the grand scheme of things. If we were playing Napoli in Europe we would have been crucified because our league has been left behind.

The only other ideal situation would be for the sustainable Scottish clubs to join the very bottom of the English pyramid system and find their natural level. If there was no financial assistance it would be the uglies in the premiership and ourselves, Aberdeen and hearts in the championship. Once the lure of supporting an English club is taken away from so many because we are now more direct opponents, the crowds and glimmer of hope might return to ALL of the Scottish clubs. If Bradford can get into the top league then why not st Johnstone?

Edinburgh is a desirable place to live and has potential. If someone with money was looking to invest in a "British" team then Hibs or Hearts would be tempting. If City, United or Liverpool were coming to town regularly then I'm sure hearts would utilise murrayfield and we wouldn't be worrying about empty seats. We'd be wanting the corners filled in ASAP. Aberdeen would also have no trouble filling their ground or attracting investment.

I just feel that we are being left behind collectively when we have exactly the same selling points that the English game has used: history, heritage and a heart on sleeve approach. It's too late to forge our own successful "product" so why not try and become part on one we are already slightly connected to?

There are so many great clubs with so much potential up here but they are being slowly strangled by the constraints of the Scottish game.

LancsHibs
28-02-2014, 04:31 AM
Can't wait for the trips toFleetwood

You not fancying the weekend stop over in Blackpool then?:wink:

LancsHibs
28-02-2014, 04:53 AM
The entertaining 0-0 draw between Swansea and Naples first got me thinking about this. They are from a small city and play in a ground no bigger than ours, yet they have football that we haven't seen for forty years and never will again.

"We are Scottish and should therefore play in a Scottish league" is no argument. Swansea and Cardiff have strong Welsh identities yet play in an English set-up. They have lost none of their National identity.

A British league would be superb and give us an opportunity to grow. There's a glass ceiling in Scotland and we will never improve in the grand scheme of things. If we were playing Napoli in Europe we would have been crucified because our league has been left behind.

The only other ideal situation would be for the sustainable Scottish clubs to join the very bottom of the English pyramid system and find their natural level. If there was no financial assistance it would be the uglies in the premiership and ourselves, Aberdeen and hearts in the championship. Once the lure of supporting an English club is taken away from so many because we are now more direct opponents, the crowds and glimmer of hope might return to ALL of the Scottish clubs. If Bradford can get into the top league then why not st Johnstone?

Edinburgh is a desirable place to live and has potential. If someone with money was looking to invest in a "British" team then Hibs or Hearts would be tempting. If City, United or Liverpool were coming to town regularly then I'm sure hearts would utilise murrayfield and we wouldn't be worrying about empty seats. We'd be wanting the corners filled in ASAP. Aberdeen would also have no trouble filling their ground or attracting investment.

I just feel that we are being left behind collectively when we have exactly the same selling points that the English game has used: history, heritage and a heart on sleeve approach. It's too late to forge our own successful "product" so why not try and become part on one we are already slightly connected to?

There are so many great clubs with so much potential up here but they are being slowly strangled by the constraints of the Scottish game.

Agree with what you say, I have always argued that Hibs are a 'big club' with a lot of potential and could see us matching the likes of Nottingham Forrest & Derby County. Our crowds and spending capacity are currently restricted to the environment we are in. It would be interesting to see just what we could achieve on a level playing field.
As somebody posted above it would be nice to retain the Scottish Cup which would still offer the Scottish clubs a more realistic avenue into Europe but thus would take some negotiating as the Welsh clubs that okay in the English pyramid are no longer permitted to compete in the Welsh FA cup which was always their entry into Europe.
I don't believe there would be a threat to the Scottish national team which is an argument against always brought up. Currently there is no threat to the Welsh national team yet Cardiff City, Swansea City, Newport County, Wrexham, Colwyn Bay, Merthyr Town all play in the English set up.

HH81
28-02-2014, 06:37 AM
Edinburgh Hibernators!

Hibernian Cougars for me :greengrin

As for playing in England it would suit me fine :agree:

Ozyhibby
28-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Something has to change soon. All of our clubs are losing out. Why should the people of Edinburgh watch a lower standard of football than those in Burnley, Stoke or Hull?

Waxy
28-02-2014, 07:24 AM
If they promose to take celtic and the rangers, then we'll all vote no.

Billy Whizz
28-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Hibs v Newcastle will be the new derby

Phil MaGlass
28-02-2014, 08:56 AM
For me, Scottish not british.Dont need to go into english league.

Weststandwanab
28-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Will never happen.

England don't need us.

Plus all teams would have to start at bottom of English pyramid.

More nonsense. I could not agree more.

Better idea for the Scottish League to invite Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesborough and even Carlisle to join us. Then we could have a very competitive 16 club league which the TV companies would be very interested in. These clubs never get in to Europe but in our league they would have a great chance of regular European competition. If Berwick can do it why not the others. Great idea but never going to happen.

If Celtic and SevCo want to piss off however, they can go any time they like. I`ll help them pack. Me 2.

Think you will find the yes vote is narrowing the gap but you dream on. Better together bricking it.

For me, Scottish not british.Dont need to go into english league. I agree.

Jones28
28-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Not this crap again. Leave it to the old firm to piss off to England

Islington Hibs
28-02-2014, 09:31 AM

Inclined to agree. No reason why Hibs couldn't make the Premiership I the longer term. For sure the current set up is bust. Sky's ludicrous money, Bosman etc have made it impossible for teams like Hibs, Aberdeen or Dundee Utd to ever achieve what they did in the 1960's 70's and 80's in Europe ever again. Either we stay in Scotland and find away of shackling Celtic and Servco to make our league competitive and genuinely exciting but accept we can't compete with the money in England, or elsewhere, or consider more radical options like starting out in England (if it were possible.) Edinbugh is world class city, Hibs have large latent support and a great history and stadium. In time I think we could be a force.

clerriehibs
28-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Hibs are Scottish.

**** the English Football League.

patlowe
28-02-2014, 10:30 AM
It's never going to happen, but hypothetically, it's all or nothing for me; we either have an all encompassing British league or we stick to the status quo. I think it would be hugely hypocritical for us to seek a route to what we perceive as a pot of gold after criticising the OF for so long for doing exactly that. We should stand up for Scottish football and all its clubs, not seek a route out for individual gain.

Anyway, am I the only one that finds the majority of English football increasingly dull? Hull v Sunderland anyone? Sure, it's got the Sky glamour and there are a few exciting, big games but, as far as the Premier League goes, it's over-sanitised, over-priced and the majority of teams have absolutely nothing to play for, other than survival so they can keep milking the cash cow. Fair enough, you get to see some good players but it must stick in the craw when working class fans are facing tough times and being priced out of the game while the wages of (often average) players down there reach astronomical levels.

For me, the only realistic way for Scottish football to progress and slowly improve again is to stop comparing itself to the monster that is English football, shake off the neo-liberal cancer that eats away at our game and start selling the positives of a smaller league full of local, young, talented players.

Hibercelona
28-02-2014, 10:55 AM
We'd maybe get more money down in England, but the odds of actually achieving anything would be far shorter.

Sure, our fanbase would increase initially, but the glamour of being pumped by the bigger English clubs would eventually wear thin.

It would just be season after season with absolutely nothing to play for with the added "glamour" of a few pumpings.

As the poster above says. We should be looking to support and strengthen Scottish Football, not abandon it.

Scottish Football isn't letting us down, we're letting Scottish Football down by turning away from it.

MB62
28-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Uk leauge better together. Insert ducking smiley

In all seriousness, if the people of Scotland vote against independence, why should we have any claim to a separate Scottish/english league set up?
This could finish us as a separate identity right across the board, british team in the commonwealth games etc, etc.
I would say it has to be a genuine concern that UEFA & FIFA might feel compelled to rightly get involved in. Can we really be Scottish only when it suits us?

Gatecrasher
28-02-2014, 11:45 AM
I'd like us to join the league cups together to have a British Cup, I think that would be good fun.

Newcastlehibby
28-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Hibs playing in England. Would suit me just fine:big grin:

Me too!