PDA

View Full Version : Scott Thomson

Billy Whizz
27-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Says he's looking to leave Hibs. Been pushed down the pecking order since Marsella came in
Think he only coached the young Goalie's now

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-hibs-round-up-locke-future-thomson-exit-1-3322077

yekimevol
27-02-2014, 02:55 PM
So Marsella is now the GK coach I would guess, But what happens when he is away scouting 3/4's of the time ?

marinello59
27-02-2014, 03:15 PM
So Marsella is now the GK coach I would guess, But what happens when he is away scouting 3/4's of the time ?

Campfire songs and long hikes. Is this relevant though?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Thomson is a better coach. Marsella should just stick to scouting.

The Sea-gull
27-02-2014, 04:00 PM

Just out of interest, have you ever been coached by or worked alongside either of them or do you know several people who have?

green.and.white
27-02-2014, 04:05 PM

Williams? Is that you? :cb

Weir7
27-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Says he's looking to leave Hibs. Been pushed down the pecking order since Marsella came in
Think he only coached the young Goalie's now

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-hibs-round-up-locke-future-thomson-exit-1-3322077

I understand he left on Monday

DC_Hibs
27-02-2014, 04:30 PM

You should stick to posting on here what you spend your life looking at on facebook, twitter and the other social media outlets frequented by kids.
Of course, that's probably where you took the gospel truth regarding their respsective keeper coaching abilities

Regards

JimBHibees
27-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Not really a surprise if true.

Billy Whizz
27-02-2014, 04:39 PM

He's usually on the bench at under 20 games, but can't recall seeing him on Tuesday at the game

Gettin' Auld
27-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Campfire songs and long hikes. Is this relevant though?
:tee hee:

BoltonHibee
27-02-2014, 05:11 PM

He did

SaulGoodman
27-02-2014, 06:02 PM
You should stick to posting on here what you spend your life looking at on facebook, twitter and the other social media outlets frequented by kids.
Of course, that's probably where you took the gospel truth regarding their respsective keeper coaching abilities

Regards

No need for that response

Centre Hawf
27-02-2014, 06:09 PM

Regards

A bit harsh, to be fair I think Inverness keepers as of late haven't been anything spectacular and Williams was the best keeper we've had since at least Daniel Andersson perhaps longer, but he now seems to have went backwards since the arrival of Marsella.

Not blaming Marsella and I have never worked with either coach or heard any stories other than on this MB, but you can understand why some people would come to conclusions on either's abilities as a coach.

hibeeleicester
27-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Thomson is a better coach. Stupid decision TB!

Ronniekirk
27-02-2014, 08:03 PM
If big Ben is not signing new contract because he believed Thompson is the better coach , and we don't end up with someone as good as him then yes it might be a poor decision but as of yet we don't know how things will turn out and it frees up a wage for another player.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-02-2014, 08:08 PM

Regards

Aye good one pal, that made me laugh so it did. :faf: I don't go on Facebook so there's a start. Also, I didnt take "the gospel truth from social media sites" as you say, it was my view and opinion. Case closed:aok:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Just out of interest, have you ever been coached by or worked alongside either of them or do you know several people who have?

Nope but just by looking at the pre match warm ups, Thomsons looked more intense compared to Marsellas.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Williams? Is that you? :cb

:greengrin

Stevie Reid
27-02-2014, 08:16 PM
On the surface this doesn't look good - Williams' form has been poor of late, which does seem to have coincided with Marsella taking over coaching duties.

However, if we want Butcher as manager, then we have to live with his decisions. We all wanted Marsella here along with TB and MM, and Thomson leaving will most likely free up wages for another member of the playing staff.

degenerated
27-02-2014, 08:16 PM

The keepers we have had since he's been here are

David grof
Andy McNeil
Yes makalamby
Gregory szamoltulski
Graeme smith
Graeme stack
Mark brown
Jakub divis
Ben Williams

I think given that record, Williams excepted, I think we might just get by without him.

matty_f
27-02-2014, 08:35 PM

David grof
Andy McNeil
Yes makalamby
Gregory szamoltulski
Graeme smith
Graeme stack
Mark brown
Jakub divis
Ben Williams

I think given that record, Williams excepted, I think we might just get by without him.
Don't think that's accurate, unless Thomson had been around longer than I thought. Were most of those keepers not coached by Gordon Marshall?

Billy Whizz
27-02-2014, 08:40 PM

David grof
Andy McNeil
Yes makalamby
Gregory szamoltulski
Graeme smith
Graeme stack
Mark brown
Jakub divis
Ben Williams

Was he responsible for bringing these goalies in, or just coaching them?
I don't think so, when did he join Hibs

Stevie Reid
27-02-2014, 08:49 PM
It was Yogi that appointed Thomson - coached Stack and every other keeper signed since him.

Jonnyboy
27-02-2014, 08:49 PM
It was Yogi that appointed Thomson - coached Stack and every other keeper since

Correct.

Billy Whizz
27-02-2014, 08:51 PM
It was Yogi that appointed Thomson - coached Stack and every other keeper signed since him.

Is he heading to Inverness then with him and Russell?

Ozyhibby
27-02-2014, 08:59 PM

Yogi's 'goalkeeping school'.
Now I remember.
:-)

degenerated
27-02-2014, 09:39 PM
2009 was when Thompson was appointed

degenerated
27-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Don't think that's accurate, unless Thomson had been around longer than I thought. Were most of those keepers not coached by Gordon Marshall?

I was a season too early, take out McNeil, grof and szamoltulski. The rest have all been coached by Thomson.

ballengeich
27-02-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm not happy about having the scouting and goalkeeper coach roles filled by the same person. I think each job needs full-time attention.

Itsnoteasy
27-02-2014, 10:48 PM

Been there since Aug 2009. Yogi signed him

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-02-2014, 10:57 PM
I'm not happy about having the scouting and goalkeeper coach roles filled by the same person. I think each job needs full-time attention.

:top marks

scoopyboy
27-02-2014, 11:27 PM
He has left the building.

Didn't even get the chance to say cheerio to the players.

Players have been getting in touch to wish him good luck.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-02-2014, 11:34 PM
All the best Scott:aok:

The Sea-gull
28-02-2014, 08:53 AM
Nope but just by looking at the pre match warm ups, Thomsons looked more intense compared to Marsellas.

Fair dos. I haven't really paid much attention to the warm ups. I reckon Williams form has definitely shaded since Marsella came in though. Whether that makes him a worse coach than Thomson or just less compatible with Williams I don't know.

sbell1875
28-02-2014, 09:21 AM

I agree. I did a wee bit of goalkeeper coaching a couple of years ago and it is definitely a full time role. At a professional level we really should have someone in place whose sole responsibility is to look after the goalies.

Thompson for me seemed a decent enough coach who seemed to be liked in the dressing room. Having a goalkeeper coach whose joint role is chief scout is a job role I've never heard of before.

Stevie Reid
28-02-2014, 09:24 AM

To be fair, there won't be many games on that Marsella would be scouting at, during the times he'll be training the goalkeepers.

The Sea-gull
28-02-2014, 10:21 AM
To be fair, there won't be many games on that Marsella would be scouting at, during the times he'll be training the goalkeepers.

Just playing devil's advocate here but what about if he goes to watch a player we are interested in at the same time we have a game? If he goes, who trains the keepers on match day? If he stays, do we send another scout to watch the player and then take his word for it or hope that Marsella can go and see them play midweek or on a Sat or Sun when we are not in action?

Say we have a Sunday game and SM goes to watch a player on a Saturday, who is there training the keepers at training on the Saturday?

I'm sure it will all work out fine though as I doubt experienced, pro keepers need a full time GK coach every single time they go for a training session keepers and they can train with each other and get involved in a team excercise if their coach is not around now and again.

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Was Marsella the goalkeeping coach at ICT? If he was, doing both jobs seemed to work out fine up there.

Stevie Reid
28-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Just playing devil's advocate here but what about if he goes to watch a player we are interested in at the same time we have a game? If he goes, who trains the keepers on match day? If he stays, do we send another scout to watch the player and then take his word for it or hope that Marsella can go and see them play midweek or on a Sat or Sun when we are not in action?

Say we have a Sunday game and SM goes to watch a player on a Saturday, who is there training the keepers at training on the Saturday?

I'm sure it will all work out fine though as I doubt experienced, pro keepers need a full time GK coach every single time they go for a training session keepers and they can train with each other and get involved in a team excercise if their coach is not around now and again.

I do see your point, but I was also going to make the same point as BH just has, which is what we are doing now worked very well for TB, MM and SM at Inverness - and we are looking to emulate their recent successes.

--------
28-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Do we expect a new manager to come in, only change the bits we think should be changed (not that we'd all agree on THAT subject, I'd guess) and leave everything else in place?

Butcher's come in - the vast majority were happy at the time, IIRC - and now that he's had a look around, he's making changes.

Goodness knows, change was needed.

And still is.