PDA

View Full Version : Davie Moyes 8/11 to get his jotters...

3pm
26-02-2014, 08:28 PM
On his way it seems?

nribs
26-02-2014, 08:37 PM
On his way it seems?
Probably out of the Champions League. Little chance on form off making the top 4. Can they afford to keep him on??

Ronniekirk
26-02-2014, 08:40 PM
On his way it seems?
Last night was so inept you wonder if he can't get them up for that type go game and some of the home results they have had then it will be hard for sir Alex to convince people that he will come good He said I didn't see that performance coming .No one is asking him to be a psychic , but players are now saying I go to run into space where I think I should be but another player is there .So clearly tactically he isn't getting through to players or some of them don't think he is right man for job and aren't playing to instruction .But whatever it is he is taking them in wrong direction and only putting a string of victories together immediately to get them back to fourth can save him .Any big spending in summer needs board to be clear he is right man to handle big money buys and find a system that brings confident attacking football while closing down teams that a few years ago wouldn't of troubled them and so far he is struggling to convince anyone including himself .Curtains right enough I think

Hibercelona
26-02-2014, 08:46 PM
I've said it before. But Man Utd will go on a downward spiral of managerial changes, with each manager getting less and less time as the fans become more and more restless.

lord bunberry
26-02-2014, 08:52 PM
It would be madness to sack moyes, he inherited an ageing team and needs time to rebuild.

andy1875
26-02-2014, 08:52 PM
I read the following last night on a United forum.

"He's taken over a team of champions, comfortable champions at that, spent £70 million and has made that same side look awful in just over 6 months"

Very simply put but it's bang on the money.

I get it would take time to make his mark but things are clearly not right. I wanted him to succeed but think he's out his depth at a club the size of MUFC.

I still think he'll get till at least the summer, even Christmas to turn it around.

YehButNoBut
26-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Time for Klopp?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/461060/Manchester-United-target-Dortmund-s-Jurgen-Klopp-as-faith-in-David-Moyes-wanes

Speedy
26-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Can't see it. At the very least he'll get the summer transfer window to build his own team.

I was actually going to say I'll give you evens but it's 6/4 on Corals so fill your boots.

Hermit Crab
26-02-2014, 09:07 PM
On his way it seems?

2/1 to qualify for next round. ;)

lucky
26-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Man Utd gave him a 6 year contract so I doubt they will get rid off him. But this is worst Man Utd team in a generation.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-02-2014, 09:13 PM
Time for Klopp?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/461060/Manchester-United-target-Dortmund-s-Jurgen-Klopp-as-faith-in-David-Moyes-wanes

I said "Flick ze Gestapo"!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-02-2014, 09:14 PM
He ain't going.

Eyrie
26-02-2014, 10:04 PM
I read the following last night on a United forum.

"He's taken over a team of champions, comfortable champions at that, spent £70 million and has made that same side look awful in just over 6 months"

Very simply put but it's bang on the money.

I get it would take time to make his mark but things are clearly not right. I wanted him to succeed but think he's out his depth at a club the size of MUFC.

I still think he'll get till at least the summer, even Christmas to turn it around.

He inherited a weak and ageing squad which was why Ferguson quit. Moyes can only be blamed for not starting the overhaul last summer.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-02-2014, 10:07 PM
There are a few players at Man United that think they are more important than the Manager. That is not a million miles away from the situation that Ferguson inherited.

Thecat23
26-02-2014, 10:15 PM
I get good info from down south more than I do Scottish sides. Fergie is still pulling more strings than the media let on. They are very worried about losing out by not making top four. Moyes knows this and don't be surprised to find Fergie in the hot seat till the end of the season to sort out the mess.

The simple fact is, Man U in my book weren't "comfortable champions". Maybe in the eyes of a Man U fan yeah. But Fergie knew he could have the time to build another team like he has done over the years and saw Man U were ageing quickly. Sorry but guys like Young, Cleverly, Welbeck Smalling aren't good enough to win this league. Rio is to old now so Man U need to clear out the dead wood and rebuild.

Thing is Moyes doesn't have the time like Feegie did, it's all about money now and tv coverage. Man U not making the CL would be a massive disaster! For me it's a tough one I think he'll see out the season with a surprise manager taking over.... Watch this space!!!

Thecat23
26-02-2014, 10:18 PM
There are a few players at Man United that think they are more important than the Manager. That is not a million miles away from the situation that Ferguson inherited.

This is also true, one or two words have been said in the dressing room and there is at least 5 players who want out. The agent I chat too has had 3 of them asking for a move this summer. Rooney believe it or not is the one trying to pull them all together and hasn't been happy with a few of his team mates. If RVP stays beyond this summer I'll be surprised.

O'Rourke3
26-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Whoever succeeded Fergie was on a hiding to nothing, it's Matt Busby all over again. United will react and probably change the way they do things just like Liverpool did post Heysel and see how long it took them to recover, if they have recovered yet, from dominant to just dangerous.

B.H.F.C
26-02-2014, 11:47 PM
Don't think he'll get the bullet yet but I thought it was a strange appointment in the first place. A manager who's never won anything at all replacing the guy who's won everything.

Haymaker
26-02-2014, 11:55 PM
Don't think he'll get the bullet yet but I thought it was a strange appointment in the first place. A manager who's never won anything at all replacing the guy who's won everything.

Personally I got the feeling he was/is a patsie early doors. Get him in and he fails then the next manager doesnt live under SAF shadow - he'll just have to be better than Moyes.

IWasThere2016
27-02-2014, 06:00 AM
Agent Moyes is doing a great job. Would love to know if he was involved in pissing away £300k a week on the carpet-heided granny ****ger. If he was, that's genius! :greengrin

Scorrie
27-02-2014, 06:07 AM
I get good info from down south more than I do Scottish sides. Fergie is still pulling more strings than the media let on. They are very worried about losing out by not making top four. Moyes knows this and don't be surprised to find Fergie in the hot seat till the end of the season to sort out the mess.

The simple fact is, Man U in my book weren't "comfortable champions". Maybe in the eyes of a Man U fan yeah. But Fergie knew he could have the time to build another team like he has done over the years and saw Man U were ageing quickly. Sorry but guys like Young, Cleverly, Welbeck Smalling aren't good enough to win this league. Rio is to old now so Man U need to clear out the dead wood and rebuild.

Thing is Moyes doesn't have the time like Feegie did, it's all about money now and tv coverage. Man U not making the CL would be a massive disaster! For me it's a tough one I think he'll see out the season with a surprise manager taking over.... Watch this space!!!

According to Paddy Power, Feguson is favourite to be the next Man U manager (ahead of Klopp etc) and the odds on him managing a game this season have plummeted. Whether that is a reaction to the amount of money punted after Wednesday or whether there is something in what you have said, time may tell...

Scouse Hibee
27-02-2014, 09:45 AM
I love how some of the Manure fans are "hurting" my own brother in law being one of them, it couldn't go on forever, to hear him bleating is comical.

PS Don't even ask how I allowed my sister to marry a Manc.

:greengrin

dp00
27-02-2014, 09:48 AM
I can't help but think Ferguson played a blinder in leaving when he did..

Ageing team and all that

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

lapsedhibee
27-02-2014, 10:02 AM
According to the i this morning Moyes might be a patsy, installed to give the real next manager a fair chance of succeeding Ferguson. If the real next manager had succeeded Ferguson immediately, he would have suffered by comparison with Fergie. Now he will be compared favourably with Moyes, and will therefore get a fair chance to be a long-term successful manager.

goosefat
27-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Would it not have been a better idea for the Man Utd board to employ a manager who know what the **** he was doing and doesn't always look like he's just sucked on a lemon?

:devil: :stirrer:

Just a thought....

Purehibee_MYB
27-02-2014, 11:01 AM
According to the i this morning Moyes might be a patsy, installed to give the real next manager a fair chance of succeeding Ferguson. If the real next manager had succeeded Ferguson immediately, he would have suffered by comparison with Fergie. Now he will be compared favourably with Moyes, and will therefore get a fair chance to be a long-term successful manager.

If that were true why would they give Moyes a six year contract?

Hibbyradge
27-02-2014, 11:13 AM
I'd sooner risk my cash on Shalke qualifying for the next round of the CL.

Haymaker
27-02-2014, 11:22 AM
If that were true why would they give Moyes a six year contract?

A couple reasons maybe. 1) stability - lots of backing early on and 2) if he succeded then happy days!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-02-2014, 11:25 AM
http://www.hibs.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12115&stc=1&d=1393503875
:faf: :faf: :faf:

Purehibee_MYB
27-02-2014, 11:35 AM
A couple reasons maybe. 1) stability - lots of backing early on and 2) if he succeded then happy days!

That's fair enough but if the theory is that Moyes was always intended to be a fall guy (to an extent) then why give him a six year deal if he was almost expected to flop?

Haymaker
27-02-2014, 12:09 PM
That's fair enough but if the theory is that Moyes was always intended to be a fall guy (to an extent) then why give him a six year deal if he was almost expected to flop?

Very strange unless there are some clauses we the public don't know about? Who knows in the end, still think his appointment was very suspect. A well known "dinosaur" of a coach, poor record in big games vs the top 4, no trophies (off the top of my head only one final?) yet selected to follow one of, if not THE, best managers ever in one of the biggest jobs in world football?

:cb

HH81
27-02-2014, 01:18 PM
I think David has done a great job. Extend his contract please.

heretoday
27-02-2014, 01:34 PM
I am an Everton fan and not glad at his plight. Not that he will do too badly if sacked of course but he is a proud guy. I wonder if Spurs would be interested. Their current manager is a berk.

green.and.white
27-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Very strange unless there are some clauses we the public don't know about? Who knows in the end, still think his appointment was very suspect. A well known "dinosaur" of a coach, poor record in big games vs the top 4, no trophies (off the top of my head only one final?) yet selected to follow one of, if not THE, best managers ever in one of the biggest jobs in world football?

:agree: You look at who everyone else brought in, Mourinho at Chelsea, Guardiola at Bayern, Blanc at PSG, Ancelotti at Madrid, the list goes on. United brought in David Moyes.........

Haymaker
27-02-2014, 01:47 PM
:agree: You look at who everyone else brought in, Mourinho at Chelsea, Guardiola at Bayern, Blanc at PSG, Ancelotti at Madrid, the list goes on. United brought in David Moyes.........

Very strange. :agree:

JohnStephens91
27-02-2014, 01:50 PM

He won the second division with Preston in 99/00 and the Community Shield with Manchester United - his only two trophy wins as manager. As a player he won the league with Celtic in 81/82, Associate Members Cup (whatever that is) with Bristol City in 86 and also the third division with Preston in 95/96. What a great record :faf:

His greatest achievement was playing for Dunfermline in the 1991 Skol Cup Final, you can even see his ginger mop in a photo as McIntyre steps up to score the opening goal.

Haymaker
27-02-2014, 02:13 PM
He won the second division with Preston in 99/00 and the Community Shield with Manchester United - his only two trophy wins as manager. As a player he won the league with Celtic in 81/82, Associate Members Cup (whatever that is) with Bristol City in 86 and also the third division with Preston in 95/96. What a great record :faf:

His greatest achievement was playing for Dunfermline in the 1991 Skol Cup Final, you can even see his ginger mop in a photo as McIntyre steps up to score the opening goal.

My apologies, no major trophies! :greengrin

The CS was obviously after he signed for United as well. And doesn't count as a final either! :greengrin

JohnStephens91
27-02-2014, 02:19 PM
My apologies, no major trophies! :greengrin

The CS was obviously after he signed for United as well. And doesn't count as a final either! :greengrin

Moyes will never win a major trophy in his managerial career, too much of a defensive manager and sharts it at the big matches :agree:

Sir David Gray
27-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Brendan Rodgers' only success as a manager, to date, came in the Championship play-offs in 2010-11 for Swansea.

He's not doing too badly at Liverpool.

Barcelona also gave Pep Guardiola his first ever management role at the age of 37.

I don't think it would have mattered who took over at Manchester Utd. Succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson was almost an impossible task.

Haymaker
27-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Brendan Rodgers' only success as a manager, to date, came in the Championship play-offs in 2010-11 for Swansea.

He's not doing too badly at Liverpool.

Barcelona also gave Pep Guardiola his first ever management role at the age of 37.

I don't think it would have mattered who took over at Manchester Utd. Succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson was almost an impossible task.

Rodgers isn't following a very successful period of management. In fact you could argue they were on a downward spiral. To me, he showed some success at Swansea by using his budget well and improving the team. Moyes kept Everton steady with very little forward movement. In my opinion.

Fair enough with Pep though, ballsy move by Barcelona but obviously saw what we all can see now! :agree:

Sir David Gray
27-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Rodgers isn't following a very successful period of management. In fact you could argue they were on a downward spiral. To me, he showed some success at Swansea by using his budget well and improving the team. Moyes kept Everton steady with very little forward movement. In my opinion.

Fair enough with Pep though, ballsy move by Barcelona but obviously saw what we all can see now! :agree:

Liverpool had just won the League Cup (small pickings by their high standards, I know) about 5 months before Rodgers was appointed, which was their first trophy in six years. He was also replacing Kenny Dalglish, one of the biggest legends in the history of the club.

Moyes' record at Everton was as good as it possibly could have been, considering the financial constraints he was under.

Their average league placing over the 11 full seasons he was in charge was between 7th and 8th place.

When you consider the spending power that the likes of Manchester Utd, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea have had in comparison with Everton over that time, I think he did as well as could have been expected.

Dinkydoo
27-02-2014, 04:45 PM
I've said it before. But Man Utd will go on a downward spiral of managerial changes, with each manager getting less and less time as the fans become more and more restless.

...and then, years later after appointing an ex England captain, their meteoric rise from mid table to league champions will be topped off by finally winning The Scottish Cup - icing, cake.

Sorry, what were we talking about again? :wink:

cmcd
27-02-2014, 05:04 PM

Always thought the two CBs WERE best in the league but both look over the hill Smalling-Cleverly Valencia -Young just not good enough in my opinion Moyes did not sign any of these players Lets not forget Fergie took a while to get things right

GreenLake
27-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Never let anyone pick their own successor.

Haymaker
27-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Liverpool had just won the League Cup (small pickings by their high standards, I know) about 5 months before Rodgers was appointed, which was their first trophy in six years. He was also replacing Kenny Dalglish, one of the biggest legends in the history of the club.

Moyes' record at Everton was as good as it possibly could have been, considering the financial constraints he was under.

Their average league placing over the 11 full seasons he was in charge was between 7th and 8th place.

When you consider the spending power that the likes of Manchester Utd, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea have had in comparison with Everton over that time, I think he did as well as could have been expected.

While KD brought a league cup to the club, halted a downward slide and is indeed a legend in the game... He hadn't been managing there for the past 20 odd years and won a ridiculous amount of trophies including leaving the team as champions.

Everton were steady but that was it. I agree that they didn't have the same financial muscle as teams above but they perhaps should have been punching a little higher above their weight? He didn't win any games vs the top 4 IIRC? Or not many at least.

Still, while we could debate this all night the fact is for me that it was a very strange appointment considering his reputation as a "Dinosaur", his lack of successful winning sides developed and poor records v big sides. Just don't get it myself.

lapsedhibee
27-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Just don't get it myself.

Think it was a straightforwardly racist appointment. Fergie was good, he's Scottish, so is Moyesie, so he'll be good too.

weonlywon6-2
27-02-2014, 05:26 PM
he just aint good enough.Everton fans arent upset hes gone

Man Utd need a big name succesful manager to be in charge

Haymaker
27-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Think it was a straightforwardly racist appointment. Fergie was good, he's Scottish, so is Moyesie, so he'll be good too.

Well... It could be that? :cb

Scouse Hibee
27-02-2014, 06:53 PM
I believe there was no list of candidates interviewed/shortlisted for the Man Utd job, Moyes was picked by Ferguson and given the job which is quite remarkable and something I could never imagine happening at any other similar sized global business.

Only time will tell if Moysie can use the budget of a big club to good affect, he wasn't shy in reminding us of the relatively small budget compared to the big clubs that he operated with at Everton.

TornadoHibby
27-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Man Utd gave him a 6 year contract so I doubt they will get rid off him. But this is worst Man Utd team in a generation.

Not Moyes fault for the current personnel at Old Trafford IMO, Fergie should have changed those that were "past it" or "not good enough" BEFORE he decided to retire! :confused:

Tough ask for Moyes now though but he's made of strong stuff and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some decent signings in during the Summer window whether they qualify for the CL for next season or not! :agree:

Cropley10
27-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Fergie got out as he could see that nearly a whole team needed rebuilded. Moyes has a thankless task, especially as he's won nowt.

Europa League beckons, Thursday and Sunday football and an absence of world stars.

Every dynasty ends and if you are a Man Utd fan welcome to the real world.

Eyrie
27-02-2014, 07:34 PM
Fergie got out as he could see that nearly a whole team needed rebuilded. Moyes has a thankless task, especially as he's won nowt.

Europa League beckons, Thursday and Sunday football and an absence of world stars.

Every dynasty ends and if you are a Man Utd fan welcome to the real world.

I'd say finishing fifth and ending up in the Europa League would make this season even worse. At least if Man Ure finish sixth they'll be able to concentrate on finishing in the top four in 2014/15. Fifth or sixth this year will make no difference to their ability to attract better players during this summer, but missing out on the Champions League for two successive seasons would hurt them.

It's a problem I'd gladly have at Easter Road though.

weonlywon6-2
27-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Fergie may have also left as he is 70 years old roughly,you have to stop at some point.
the players that Moyes inherited should be decent enough to keep them in a good position.
Something aint right and if utd crash out of europe and lose to Liverpool and Arsenal then the shoogly peg may eventually fall off for Moyes.

is Pat Fenlon not still available??

matty_f
27-02-2014, 07:38 PM
I think SAF left because he wanted to retire more than he thought the team wasn't up to it. He's into his 70's ffs.

lapsedhibee
27-02-2014, 07:54 PM
I think SAF left because he wanted to retire more than he thought the team wasn't up to it. He's into his 70's ffs.

:agree: Didn't his sister in law die at about the time he decided to quit, something like that, causing him to reassess priorities?

ScottB
27-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Yeah, this United squad isn't their strongest, but it's not like they all got massively worse over the summer. Fergie coached them to the title, yes they didn't strengthen in the summer, and their rivals did, but it's no excuse for the state they are in.

That players are openly stating they don't understand tactics or what's going on says it all. Would a player have dared do that under SAF? Hell no. If they did they'd have been out on their ass in no time at all. He doesn't seem to have their respect. Also, a mitigating factor I suppose, but their new Chief Exec didn't cover himself in glory with his transfer dealings either, but still.

RedHibby
27-02-2014, 10:04 PM
They will only get rid of Moyes if the fans at Old Trafford turn on him. If they do turn on him he will be out of there faster than a speeding bullet:na na:

jgl07
28-02-2014, 03:59 PM
I'd say finishing fifth and ending up in the Europa League would make this season even worse. At least if Man Ure finish sixth they'll be able to concentrate on finishing in the top four in 2014/15. Fifth or sixth this year will make no difference to their ability to attract better players during this summer, but missing out on the Champions League for two successive seasons would hurt them.

Sixth or even seventh could end up in the Europa League. If Man City beat Sunderland on Sunday, the sixth place team will get a Europa League place. If the FA Cup Final is between Man City and Arsenal (or Everton) and both are in the Champions' League, then seventh placed team would also get a spot.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Never let anyone pick their own successor.

Very much this, Fergie sitting in the stand every week isnae doing Moyes any favours either.