PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen

Diclonius
25-02-2014, 09:14 PM
A prime example of what can be achieved if your board pulls the finger out and invests a bit of money.

No "slow and steady progress", no "transitional season" - immediate improvement from bottom six to challenging for two cups and comfortably ahead of the rest of the league bar Celtic.

We could have done that with relative ease. Our board has no excuses.

hibbysam
25-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Comfortably ahead of the rest of the league? 4 points having played a game more? Plenty of time for there season to fall flat on its face mind you!

half.time.draw.
25-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Needs the right manager spending the money . Butcher is the only one worth that trust since then was MacLeish with sauzee n latapy class players for me.

B.H.F.C
25-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Comfortably ahead of the rest of the league? 4 points having played a game more? Plenty of time for there season to fall flat on its face mind you!

Be nice to be in the position where your season MIGHT fall flat.

Hope Inverness beat them in this final right enough.

CropleyWasGod
25-02-2014, 09:24 PM
A prime example of what can be achieved if your board pulls the finger out and invests a bit of money.

No "slow and steady progress", no "transitional season" - immediate improvement from bottom six to challenging for two cups and comfortably ahead of the rest of the league bar Celtic.

Where is this money?

littleplum
25-02-2014, 09:26 PM

How much more money have they spent?

hibbymick
25-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Derek McInnes was just saying a few weeks ago that Craig Brown set a lot of the ground work for what they are achieving now.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-02-2014, 10:06 PM

Sorry but thats pish. Have you looks at Aberdeen's record since they last won something? They've been abysmal and arguably taken longer to get back on their feet than us. And they've not won anything yet. Just back in and not seen the reports so guessing they beat Cellic at the dung hill the Partick result proves the cup games are no gimmes. Could they do a Hearts, choke and end up with nada? Their results in the cup over the piece has had it's humiliations so let's see what transpires before "the famous" get all jumpy again.

Ronniekirk
25-02-2014, 10:22 PM

Get your tin hat on I posted something months back about how well Aberdeen were doing and that they had stolen a march on us by appointing right manager and backing him in Transfer Market and got pellters for it . was told it was short term thing and we would soon be up there next season challenging them so let's wait and see .But they did have some decent players there that weren't performing-to their capabilities . Now where have I heard that before
Butcher will however make us a better team I have no doubts about that, but we are so far behind , I don't think it's a given we will be challenging for second spot next year

silverhibee
25-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Where is this money?

In STF bank account. :cb

CropleyWasGod
25-02-2014, 10:28 PM

Ah of course. Silly me :)

hibbysam
25-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Be nice to be in the position where your season MIGHT fall flat.

Hope Inverness beat them in this final right enough.

It would be nice, but it's nothing until they have a trophy in the cabinet or have second sewn up... If they lose in both cups and finish third is it still a season to get the open top bus parade organised?

easty
25-02-2014, 10:45 PM

That's crap. Our board have spent money this season. Nelson, Collins, new management team. That's just not up for debate.

Aberdeen are doing pretty well just now, no doubt, but they're hardly a model of how to run a football club, they've been as bad as us (worse actually) for years.

Kato
25-02-2014, 10:48 PM
That's crap. Our board have spent money this season. Nelson, Collins, new management team. That's just not up for debate.

Aberdeen are doing pretty well just now, no doubt, but they're hardly a model of how to run a football club, they've been as bad as us (worse actually) for years.

It'll be McInnes rather than Butcher who'll be off to Ibrox as soon as McCoist is gone.

B.H.F.C
25-02-2014, 10:50 PM
It would be nice, but it's nothing until they have a trophy in the cabinet or have second sewn up... If they lose in both cups and finish third is it still a season to get the open top bus parade organised?

Never suggested that. Just saying that I'd much rather be in their position. Better than scrapping for a top 6 place at best.

Anyway I just hope that we have a manager who can make the kind of impact in his first full season that McIness has with them. This time next year if we are second in the league, in a cup final and in the quarter final of another cup we will be just as excited as what they are now.

hibbysam
25-02-2014, 10:51 PM
Never suggested that. Just saying that I'd much rather be in their position. Better than scrapping for a top 6 place at best.

Anyway I just hope that we have a manager who can make the kind of impact in his first full season that McIness has with them. This time next year if we are second in the league, in a cup final and in the quarter final of another cup we will be just as excited as what they are now.

I think your forgetting my first reply was to a boy who said they were running away with second place... Which isn't the case at all, that's all I was pointing out!

easty
25-02-2014, 10:55 PM
It'll be McInnes rather than Butcher who'll be off to Ibrox as soon as McCoist is gone.

Ok. Not really sure if that was meant as a reply to my point or not. Nor can I tell if you're saying that's a good thing or a bad thing?

Finbar
26-02-2014, 06:03 AM
Hibs managers have had plenty of money to spend over the last few years, the problem is what they have spent it on. Each manager has brought in their own set of fairly average players while paying off the existing ones. I want to see hibs spend their budget differently so that we get a few quality players rather than quantity and make up the squad with out own younger players.

Brightside
26-02-2014, 06:38 AM

Huge debts tho. Short term thinking.

R'Albin
26-02-2014, 06:48 AM
Huge debts tho. Short term thinking.

Not really. If Aberdeen ever really gets in trouble Milne will be happy enough to pay off what is required I'm sure. It'll be pennies to him anyway.

Onion
26-02-2014, 06:58 AM

Think you've just confirmed the OP's point :greengrin Both Hibs and Aberdeen have been badly run for years, but it is Aberdeen who are showing definite signed of breaking out of that malaise. If you were to line up both sets of players, there is no question Aberdeen have the much better quality squad of players, better balance and better management. All that has happened within the last 12 months. Whether or not they can sustain that has yet to be proved but let's not kid ourselves, they are a good bit better than us.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-02-2014, 07:06 AM
Think you've just confirmed the OP's point :greengrin Both Hibs and Aberdeen have been badly run for years, but it is Aberdeen who are showing definite signed of breaking out of that malaise. If you were to line up both sets of players, there is no question Aberdeen have the much better quality squad of players, better balance and better management. All that has happened within the last 12 months. Whether or not they can sustain that has yet to be proved but let's not kid ourselves, they are a good bit better than us.

Everyone has their season in the sun - heck Gretna and Livi even...
Yet last season they were spewing at us bumping them out the cups. They're on the up no question - seizing the moment better than Hibs ? So far. But let's not kid ourselves (and I know your not) on - they've been as much a basket case of a club as us in the main. One swallow doesn't make a summer and although there's been some tweeting, the Dandies swallow has yet to make an appearance ;)

#FromTheCapital
26-02-2014, 07:11 AM
Hope Aberdeen's season is spectacularly destroyed.

Stonewall
26-02-2014, 07:12 AM
Not really. If Aberdeen ever really gets in trouble Milne will be happy enough to pay off what is required I'm sure. It'll be pennies to him anyway.

No. When Milne came in he tried to buy his to success, ran up their debts and when he realised the strategy wasn't working put the financial brakes on. They are being well managed and have made astute signings no doubt, but they've hardly splashed the cash.

Would also add that important players like of Robson and Anderson are at the veteran stage so long term will be interesting.

Iceman1875
26-02-2014, 07:45 AM
They bought well in the summer in Flood, Robson and secured McGinn on a long deal, in January they signed two decent players again in Tate and Rooney. With the emergence of Pawlett and veterans Anderson and dare I say Langfield, they have a strong spine that's by far the second strongest in the SPL.

Sky sports understands that Hearts are going down.

ian cruise
26-02-2014, 07:52 AM
No. When Milne came in he tried to buy his to success, ran up their debts and when he realised the strategy wasn't working put the financial brakes on. They are being well managed and have made astute signings no doubt, but they've hardly splashed the cash.

Would also add that important players like of Robson and Anderson are at the veteran stage so long term will be interesting.

Also Robson has Aberdeen links and Anderson is an Aberdeen fan, so they won't be on big money as the attraction of playing for the club will be enough, where as we would have probably had to pay same player a bit more to get them. It's no different from GO'Ccoming back to is except their moves seem to have worked out better. Sometimes it alike that. We might get same thing from scott Brown or Leigh later in their careers.

leggeto
26-02-2014, 08:23 AM
If ever there is a time to do it,it is now,with the rangers and hearts out they way we should really be going for 2nd with Aberdeen and Dundee utd

CropleyWasGod
26-02-2014, 08:24 AM
If ever there is a time to do it,it is now,with the rangers and hearts out they way we should really be going for 2nd with Aberdeen and Dundee utd

Again, with what?

The Modfather
26-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Again, with what?

Yet Petrie remains untouchable. An "unworkable legacy" indeed.

Geo_1875
26-02-2014, 08:44 AM
And oddly enough there is a thread on the go listing reasons for not renewing season tickets and further reducing the money available to our manager.

JeMeSouviens
26-02-2014, 08:44 AM

Aberdeen have been consistently outspending us (them 5 to 5.5M, us 4 to 4.5M) for years and only achieving similar results. Is it not more like what can be achieved with the right management team in place and a full summer transfer window in which they can shape their own team?

Chump
26-02-2014, 08:56 AM

Utter gash....speculate to accumulate will never be a phrase used again in Scottish Football. Hibs have competed in the last two Scottish Cup Finals albeit 'calling it competing' on the day based on their performance may be pushing it.

They are a one city team and have an advantage from day one....they haven't invested in the fundamental infrastructure of the club like Hibs so are way behind in terms of the building blocks for the future......

.....it's simple for me, they have a decent first XI amongst rank average squads end of!!

heretoday
26-02-2014, 09:01 AM

Why so?

Mikey09
26-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Sorry, you cannot compare what Mcinnes has done with his playing squad to terry. Let's see where we are this time next year as the close season is where our squad will be built to how our manager wants to play. And how predictable.... "Where's the money?" We have paid ANOTHER manager off and shelled out compo for a new management team. It's the first time in a long time I feel confident in the leader of our team to get it right on the park and if it takes time then so be it.... :tbgwa:

Phil MaGlass
26-02-2014, 09:24 AM

I really hope not, its great that sellik have not run away with everything (apart from the league) as was predicted by all and sundry, once the buns went bust. The Dons have now humped sellik twice in the past month and have been playing pretty good fitba aswell, Dons fans are coming back in numbers, which can only be good for Scottish football and the finances of clubs.
The Aberdeen games at ER next season could be really something to get excited about.
Good luck to the Dons, lets hope we can also push on next season.

Craig_in_Prague
26-02-2014, 09:28 AM
Utter gash....speculate to accumulate will never be a phrase used again in Scottish Football. Hibs have competed in the last two Scottish Cup Finals albeit 'calling it competing' on the day based on their performance may be pushing it.

They are a one city team and have an advantage from day one....they haven't invested in the fundamental infrastructure of the club like Hibs so are way behind in terms of the building blocks for the future......

.....it's simple for me, they have a decent first XI amongst rank average squads end of!!

Agree with this.

It wasn't so long ago, we (hibs net) were pining to be more like D UTD & also ICT/Motherwell at times (in terms of how to play, why can't we be as good / consistent like them).....

It is really frustrating that clubs with tiny crowds, seem to outperform us year after year.
However, Aberdeen have been rotten for way too long - They were bound to have a decent season sooner or later, especially with a good manager and a host of experienced (good) SPL players.
I hope they enjoy it, but I wouldn't trade anything.

Hibs have the best stadia, training facilities and overall infrastructure outside of Celtic.
Yes, it's on the park that matters and yes, it's a bit annoying we seem to struggle from 1 season to next, new manager to the next and a mass change of players.
But finally, I think we've got the right management team - That will get the club going again on the park.

We have no devine right to do well on the pitch, all the positive things about our club off the field though, will stand us in good stead forever & with the right management team in place, they can flourish. Our youth development appears to be picking up too, and I hope that gets better and better.

I feel pretty good about Hibs at the moment, with next season likely to be the best in a long time.

In Terry we trust.

leggeto
26-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Again, with what?

I know,sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate but most would like to be sensible with money as we all know what can happen

IWasThere2016
26-02-2014, 09:51 AM
And oddly enough there is a thread on the go listing reasons for not renewing season tickets and further reducing the money available to our manager.

Is there a similar thread on any Aberdeen forum :wink:

The only valid marketing tool is a good team - we are some way away from this, and have been for too long.

Hibercelona
26-02-2014, 10:02 AM
The fact that Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Inverness are all still very much in the running for 2nd place this season, shows just how far behind we are from all 3 of them.

Next season needs to be an impact season for us. None of this snail paced work in progress 5 year plan nonsense. This will be our only chance in a very long time to get into the Champions League.

Ozyhibby
26-02-2014, 10:07 AM
The fact that Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Inverness are all still very much in the running for 2nd place this season, shows just how far behind we are from all 3 of them.

Next season needs to be an impact season for us. None of this snail paced work in progress 5 year plan nonsense. This will be our only chance in a very long time to get into the Champions League.

Need to win the league to get into champs league. I admire your ambition.
Better than listening to the 'needs more time' brigade on here.

Stevie Reid
26-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Don't agree with the OP at all - if McInnes were available when we needed a manager I have absolutely no doubt that we would have acquired him, and I could confidently predict that every player they signed would be within our wage bracket. I would also reckon that Butcher earns just as much, if not more (given he wasn't unemployed previously) than McInnes.

They got a good manager at the right time, and he is doing his job well.

Mikey09
26-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Need to win the league to get into champs league. I admire your ambition.
Better than listening to the 'needs more time' brigade on here.

And "How much time would we need to win the league"!!!!! Ambition is fantastic.... It has to be realistic though. I prefer the realistic brigade than the fantasist brigade.

Jones28
26-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Fair enough to Aberdeen. They have speculated to accumulate and it's working for them. However, the bubble will burst. Season ticket sales may be enough to sustain the wage bill but sooner or later they will lose players and in time have to build new stadia.

It's flash in the pan success. Short lived and costly success at that.

ahibby
26-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Derek McInnes was just saying a few weeks ago that Craig Brown set a lot of the ground work for what they are achieving now.

I was just thinking that recently. One common factor between Motherwell and Aberdeen is Craig Brown, both doing better now. I wonder how much he set in motion for both clubs for current managers to inherit. Mind you I wouldn't bring him in now, I think he has done what he could and has done it well, not as a coach manager with those clubs but with regards to leaving a legacy.

Onion
26-02-2014, 11:21 AM

We've no money left after paying for the horrendous management mistakes and we lack vision and ambition. Other than that, we're perfectly placed to challenge for 2nd and bag a few cups.

Mikey09
26-02-2014, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=Onion;3916659]We've no money left after paying for the horrendous management mistakes and we lack vision and ambition. Other than that, we're perfectly placed to challenge for 2nd and bag a few cups.

Glad some people realise there isnt a bottomless pit of cash....

Ozyhibby
26-02-2014, 11:55 AM
So, has our ground work been laid or is that what Butcher is here to do?

silverhibee
26-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Agree with this.

It wasn't so long ago, we (hibs net) were pining to be more like D UTD & also ICT/Motherwell at times (in terms of how to play, why can't we be as good / consistent like them).....

It is really frustrating that clubs with tiny crowds, seem to outperform us year after year.
However, Aberdeen have been rotten for way too long - They were bound to have a decent season sooner or later, especially with a good manager and a host of experienced (good) SPL players.
I hope they enjoy it, but I wouldn't trade anything.

Hibs have the best stadia, training facilities and overall infrastructure outside of Celtic.
Yes, it's on the park that matters and yes, it's a bit annoying we seem to struggle from 1 season to next, new manager to the next and a mass change of players.
But finally, I think we've got the right management team - That will get the club going again on the park.

We have no devine right to do well on the pitch, all the positive things about our club off the field though, will stand us in good stead forever & with the right management team in place, they can flourish. Our youth development appears to be picking up too, and I hope that gets better and better.

I feel pretty good about Hibs at the moment, with next season likely to be the best in a long time.

In Terry we trust.

None of that wins games, the club/Owner has invested a lot of money in to all of that, time to take it to the next step and invest in the most important thing at the club, THE TEAM, CWG has asked where the money is coming from to do this, it has to be the owner, Mr Farmer, why invest in all of the above then not invest in the most important thing which is the team, if the board/owner have brought in the dream management team and are as confident as the fans are about TB & co then time to back him this summer with extra funds to bring in the quality that TB & co want to bring to the club.

Once again i am pretty sure the fans will do the right thing and buy ST for the new season ahead and back the manager but there has to be extra backing from the club this season to get players in that the manager and SM the scout have identified and have them in on day one of pre-season. No haggling, just get them in to the club.

J-C
26-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Where is this money?

Unfortunately in the back pockets of numerous managers not good enough to do the job in the first place.

It's a pity Petrie and Co. couldn't do the right thing and get in an experienced manager after Collins left, instead they attempted to replicate what Mowbray had achieved went for up and coming managers with little track record. Aberdeen have went for this by bringing in McInnes, spend few quid on good quality players, crowds are now flocking back and they're now looking very good for that 2nd spot in the league.

Take note Mr Petrie, your incompetence in hiring the correct manager this past 5 years has cost us very dear.

easty
26-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Unfortunately in the back pockets of numerous managers not good enough to do the job in the first place.

It's a pity Petrie and Co. couldn't do the right thing and get in an experienced manager after Collins left, instead they attempted to replicate what Mowbray had achieved went for up and coming managers with little track record. Aberdeen have went for this by bringing in McInnes, spend few quid on good quality players, crowds are now flocking back and they're now looking very good for that 2nd spot in the league.

Take note Mr Petrie, your incompetence in hiring the correct manager this past 5 years has cost us very dear.

The managers after Mowbray all had experience as managers. Mixu had managed at Cowdenbeath and over in Finland. Yogi was at Falkirk as manager from 2003 to 2009. Coco the Clown had managed Northampton, Forrest and Newcastle (as caretaker). Fenlon had loads of management experience, albeit in Irish football, and he's the only appointment I wasnt happy with.

So to say we only went down the same route as Mowbray, who had no management experience, is just incorrect.

I think Petrie gets a far more difficult time than he deserves for the failings of the managers. It's a hard job getting the right man in, look at Moyes at Man Utd.

Kato
26-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Ok. Not really sure if that was meant as a reply to my point or not. Nor can I tell if you're saying that's a good thing or a bad thing?

Just a general observation. Probably a good thing for us but not Aberdeen.

heretoday
26-02-2014, 03:45 PM
I really hope not, its great that sellik have not run away with everything (apart from the league) as was predicted by all and sundry, once the buns went bust. The Dons have now humped sellik twice in the past month and have been playing pretty good fitba aswell, Dons fans are coming back in numbers, which can only be good for Scottish football and the finances of clubs.
The Aberdeen games at ER next season could be really something to get excited about.
Good luck to the Dons, lets hope we can also push on next season.

Dons could become a money spinning thing again and I hope they do. They were magic in the days when they used to cuff the OF on a regular basis, although they did tend to clinch their titles at our place!

I really hope McInnes doesn't go to Ibrox. Is it such an attractive job these days? I suppose money talks.

Kaiser1962
26-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Dons could become a money spinning thing again

Aberdeen have been pofitable only once (2007-2008) since they posted a profit for season 1995-1996. They last reached a cup final in 1999-2000 when they were in the final of the Scottish and the League Cup. They lost both.

yeezus.
26-02-2014, 08:00 PM

:agree: the 0-0 game a few seasons ago comes to mind as being the worst game of football I've ever witnessed. Aberdeen were dreadful for years!

Ronniekirk
26-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Aberdeen have been pofitable only once (2007-2008) since they posted a profit for season 1995-1996. They last reached a cup final in 1999-2000 when they were in the final of the Scottish and the League Cup. They lost both.
Nobody is arguing they have been a great team for years the point of the thread was arguing that since Mciness came in he has managed to turn round the years of underachieving and very low league positions ,and early cup exits to lower division teams to the point they are at now which is a better position than we are currently in in terms of on field results . We hope to be there next season but to my mind Butcher is starting with a more imbalanced squad than Aberdeen .So when they strengthen again in summer which they will do with extra revenue generated from finishing second ,and being in possibly two cup finals then it's hard to see us realistically starting the season the way they will.
forget the debate about they haven't made profits they haven't needed to as Milne is able to keep bank on board and they still hope to move from Pittodrie. .But they will make a profit this year and next presumably and they have stated a momentum that is getting fans back .We are not and if season ticket thread is anything to go by we could have fewer season ticket sales for next season .
so give the poster a break I don't care if they win two cups and finish second good luck to them What i do care about is when my Club will be able to do something similar after the last few seasons .I do find it embarrassing that with no rangers and a weakened hear7s we are still effectively a bottom six club .T B wouldn't of come to us unless he thought he could turn us around and now he needs our backing and I for one intend to give that but buying a season ticket with my son next season .

Jonnyboy
26-02-2014, 08:26 PM

Aberdeen have a new stadium to pay for don't they? That's gonna cost a pretty penny

clerriehibs
26-02-2014, 10:32 PM

where it belongs.

Kaiser1962
27-02-2014, 07:12 AM
Was not intending giving the poster a hard time and was merely pointing out how difficult it is to turn a profit in football. I am no as convinced as you that they will be profitable this season although they should be close but keeping it going next will be the difficult bit.
I do not wish them any harm

If winning games and selling tickets was the secret of financial sucess Rangers would still be with us.

Nobody is arguing they have been a great team for years the point of the thread was arguing that since Mciness came in he has managed to turn round the years of underachieving and very low league positions ,and early cup exits to lower division teams to the point they are at now which is a better position than we are currently in in terms of on field results . We hope to be there next season but to my mind Butcher is starting with a more imbalanced squad than Aberdeen .So when they strengthen again in summer which they will do with extra revenue generated from finishing second ,and being in possibly two cup finals then it's hard to see us realistically starting the season the way they will.
forget the debate about they haven't made profits they haven't needed to as Milne is able to keep bank on board and they still hope to move from Pittodrie. .But they will make a profit this year and next presumably and they have stated a momentum that is getting fans back .We are not and if season ticket thread is anything to go by we could have fewer season ticket sales for next season .
so give the poster a break I don't care if they win two cups and finish second good luck to them What i do care about is when my Club will be able to do something similar after the last few seasons .I do find it embarrassing that with no rangers and a weakened hear7s we are still effectively a bottom six club .T B wouldn't of come to us unless he thought he could turn us around and now he needs our backing and I for one intend to give that but buying a season ticket with my son next season .

Ronniekirk
27-02-2014, 07:29 AM
Was not intending giving the poster a hard time and was merely pointing out how difficult it is to turn a profit in football. I am no as convinced as you that they will be profitable this season although they should be close but keeping it going next will be the difficult bit.
I do not wish them any harm

If winning games and selling tickets was the secret of financial sucess Rangers would still be with us.

I probably should of replied to the thread in general ,just so happens I picked out one I was reading when I chose to make the pom to wasn't meaning you in particular were giving poster a hard time . You are right the trick will be to keep it going but Inverness and Motherwell have done it in past few seasons so you would expect they would now with right man for the job be able to do that Not many teams beat Celtic two games in quick succession all be it we don't know how it would of panned out if player wasn't sent off

Mikey09
27-02-2014, 10:27 AM
None of that wins games, the club/Owner has invested a lot of money in to all of that, time to take it to the next step and invest in the most important thing at the club, THE TEAM, CWG has asked where the money is coming from to do this, it has to be the owner, Mr Farmer, why invest in all of the above then not invest in the most important thing which is the team, if the board/owner have brought in the dream management team and are as confident as the fans are about TB & co then time to back him this summer with extra funds to bring in the quality that TB & co want to bring to the club.

Once again i am pretty sure the fans will do the right thing and buy ST for the new season ahead and back the manager but there has to be extra backing from the club this season to get players in that the manager and SM the scout have identified and have them in on day one of pre-season. No haggling, just get them in to the club.

Are you suggesting STF throws bundles of cash at player transfers and wages hibs can't afford. Say, and god forbid, something happened to STF where would that leave us?? No thanks. Not for me. I will probably come across as boring and un-ambitious but I don't give a ****. Have a look across the road if you don't believe it can happen....

J-C
27-02-2014, 10:29 AM
The managers after Mowbray all had experience as managers. Mixu had managed at Cowdenbeath and over in Finland. Yogi was at Falkirk as manager from 2003 to 2009. Coco the Clown had managed Northampton, Forrest and Newcastle (as caretaker). Fenlon had loads of management experience, albeit in Irish football, and he's the only appointment I wasnt happy with.

So to say we only went down the same route as Mowbray, who had no management experience, is just incorrect.

I think Petrie gets a far more difficult time than he deserves for the failings of the managers. It's a hard job getting the right man in, look at Moyes at Man Utd.

I didn't say this and changing what I actually said is bang out of order.

This is what I said............"went for up and coming managers with little track record".
This means they haven't achieved a great deal management wise, and anything they have done was at a lower league.

Mixu-Cowdenbeath Yogi- Falkirk Calderwood - Northampton Fenlon - Shelbourne.

Not great CV's to instil confidence, hence why an experienced proven manager should have been the priority after Mixu.

Onion
27-02-2014, 10:35 AM

Think they also accept cash :wink:

Onion
27-02-2014, 10:52 AM

The only reason Petrie gets a difficult time is that he is still in office. 99% of people in his position with his track record would have resigned by now, been shifted into a different role or summarily dismissed by the business owners. No one has suggested that recruiting good managers is easy but it is arguably THE most important decision the Hibs Board have to make these days and they are well paid to do that well.

Moyes may or may not be a mistake. If he is, you can be sure Man U are unlikely to make the same mistake next time. Cos if they do, Exec heads will roll.

easty
27-02-2014, 11:44 AM
The only reason Petrie gets a difficult time is that he is still in office. 99% of people in his position with his track record would have resigned by now, been shifted into a different role or summarily dismissed by the business owners. No one has suggested that recruiting good managers is easy but it is arguably THE most important decision the Hibs Board have to make these days and they are well paid to do that well.

Moyes may or may not be a mistake. If he is, you can be sure Man U are unlikely to make the same mistake next time. Cos if they do, Exec heads will roll.

No they wouldn't.

It's not Petrie's job alone to pick the manager anyway. Yet you'd never think so with the amount of things that are his fault according to some fans (not a dig at you!). Sometimes you'd think he was sat at the head of a table like Dr Evil, with a wee mini me Rod Petrie by his side ready to go bite anybody who doesn't agree with him. :greengrin

Borderhibbie76
27-02-2014, 11:51 AM

This is what I said............"went for up and coming managers with little track record".
This means they haven't achieved a great deal management wise, and anything they have done was at a lower league.

Not great CV's to instil confidence, hence why an experienced proven manager should have been the priority after Mixu.

McInnes was steady at st johnstone but a flop at Bristol so could be argued he had achieved little pre sheep mate...every managerial appointment is a gamble...not many hibbies grumbled at time mixu, yogi and calderclown were appointed. Like many, fenlon was only one which disappointed me at time...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

easty
27-02-2014, 11:59 AM

For a start 'bang out of order'....steady on petal, there's really no need to be such a delicate wee flower.:rolleyes:

Secondly, I didn't quote you as saying they had no managerial experience, I was making the point that you were comparing the boards decision to appoint Mowbray with the decisions to bring in the others. A comparison you WERE making.

So, now on to your newest points. Conveniently leaving out the fact that Yogi managed in the SPL with Falkirk, and that Calderwood managed (briefly) in the EPL and the Championship. You can look back at Calderwood anyway you want, and I think he was an abject failure at Hibs, but at the time we got him I wasn't disappointed, and to say his CV didn't instil confidence, well that's obviously a matter of opinion, because I think his CV was pretty good. Mixu had played, coached and managed in Scotland for many years, and I thought he'd be a good appointment, he'd managed for 2 years and done well in both of them.

When people talk about bringing in an experienced proven manager, who exactly do they mean anyway? Cos there were plenty folk (were you one of them?) wanting us to bring in Steve Clarke when that was the rumour, he was a totally unproven manager, would you have been happy with him? Or are we thinking about Jimmy Calderwood and the likes of that numpty?

J-C
27-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Calderwood could have been a success if he put his heart into the club but travelling to and fro from here to his home on a regular weekly basis, he showed little interest in the goings on here and that was clearly shown by his players on the pitch who also looked disinterested.

Mixu, right man too soon as has been seen, bit of a shame really.

Yogi, heart over head decision, numerous behind the scenes stories that in the main are fairly true if the guys in the know are to be believed.

Fenlon came from a poor Irish division, equal to our div3 and was just not up to it.

All paid off wages wise and money that should've stayed at Hibs are now in their back pockets.

Steve Clarke was interveiwed but we couldn't match his wage demands, he was also a very well respected coach at a successful Chelsea.

Jimmy Calderwood, well he's a bit like Marmite TBH.

p.s. please quote what was actually written and not what you thought I wrote, makes life easier that way.

easty
27-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Calderwood could have been a success if he put his heart into the club but travelling to and fro from here to his home on a regular weekly basis, he showed little interest in the goings on here and that was clearly whown by his [players on the pitch who also looked disinterested.

Mixu, right man too soon as has been seen, bit of a shame really.

Yogi, heart over head decision, numerous behind the scenes stories that in the main are fairly true if the guys in the know are to be believed.

Fenlon came from a poor Irish division, equal to our div3 and was just not up to it.

All paid of wages wise and money that should've stayed at Hibs are now in their back pockets.

Steve Clarke was interveiwed but we couldn't mack his wage demands, he was also a very well respected coach at a successful Chelsea.

Jimmy Calderwood, well he's a bit like Marmite TBH.

I agree with pretty much all of that. :wink:

Diclonius
13-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Just gone ahead in their second national cup semi final with one already in the bag, and on course for 2nd place in the league. Last season they were nowhere and finished behind us.

A perfect example that it IS possible to reap instant success if you get your act together and show some ambition.

I bet Petrie is delighted Hearts are down next season so he can add "loss of revenue from derby matches" or similar to his list of excuses after our usual summer of disappointment and last day loan signings.

R'Albin
13-04-2014, 12:09 PM
I was getting worried that we would have to go a day without a 'Hibs are really ****, Aberdeen are great' thread.

Edit - Thanks admins :greengrin

Diclonius
13-04-2014, 12:12 PM
I was getting worried that we would have to go a day without a 'Hibs are really ****, Aberdeen are great' thread.

And it will continue until we stop being ****. I'm sorry, I'm just irked by the constant reminders that we CAN be successful if we actually bother.

Saorsa
13-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Just gone ahead in their second national cup semi final with one already in the bag, and on course for 2nd place in the league. Last season they were nowhere and finished behind us.

A perfect example that it IS possible to reap instant success if you get your act together and show some ambition.

I bet Petrie is delighted Hearts are down next season so he can add "loss of revenue from derby matches" or similar to his list of excuses after our usual summer of disappointment and last day loan signings.Need tae give the person who runs the club a dictionary first so he can look up the meaning of that.

R'Albin
13-04-2014, 12:16 PM
And it will continue until we stop being ****. I'm sorry, I'm just irked by the constant reminders that we CAN be successful if we actually bother.

Sorry it was a bit of a dick response from me. It frustrates me too, just didn't think it warranted another thread. Hopefully next season it will be them saying these things.

Diclonius
13-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Sorry it was a bit of a dick response from me. It frustrates me too, just didn't think it warranted another thread. Hopefully next season it will be them saying these things.

No worries mate, hopefully we'll get our act together next season. Just can't see it though.

Hibernia Na Eir
13-04-2014, 01:11 PM

Edit - Thanks admins :greengrin

St J running them ragged at the mo !

Hermit Crab
13-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Aberdeen are not that great. They just work for each other. Ben found out today though.

GlenrothesHibee
13-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Got to feel sorry for the sleeping giants of world football.......sheep touching basssas hahaha get that right up you bbc

marinello59
13-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Delighted to see the sheep lose. That second cup win wasn't a foregone conclusion after all.

ronaldo7
13-04-2014, 02:02 PM

I bet Petrie is delighted Hearts are down next season so he can add "loss of revenue from derby matches" or similar to his list of excuses after our usual summer of disappointment and last day loan signings.

Then get pumped. Fitba's a funny auld gemme eh:aok:

The Falcon
13-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Hibs managers have had plenty of money to spend over the last few years, the problem is what they have spent it on. Each manager has brought in their own set of fairly average players while paying off the existing ones. I want to see hibs spend their budget differently so that we get a few quality players rather than quantity and make up the squad with out own younger players.

As have Aberdeen's. I am sure someone posted they have had the same amount of managers as us over the last 20 years and spent considerably more money.

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2014, 02:13 PM
In a season where there was no huns or diet huns, Aberdeen reached for the stars and have so far been to the moon. We on the other hand made it as far as Portobello.

ronaldo7
13-04-2014, 02:16 PM
In a season where there was no huns or diet huns, Aberdeen reached for the stars and have so far been to the moon. We on the other hand made it as far as Portobello.

They pushed the boat out so to speak and it's reaped it's rewards. Maybe it's our turn next year:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2014, 02:19 PM
They pushed the boat out so to speak and it's reaped it's rewards. Maybe it's our turn next year:greengrin

Gullane perhaps matey?:wink:

emerald green
13-04-2014, 02:25 PM

Champions League? Really? First of all, we need to make sure we stay in the SPFL if we can. Then, we are light years away from even thinking about the Champions League. Look what happened to us against Malmo. Yes, I agree that as a club we have to be ambitious, but that's a step too far at the moment for our club. I don't believe there is that sort of drive and ambition at the top level of the club in any case.

TheFamous1875
13-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Champions League? Really? First of all, we need to make sure we stay in the SPFL if we can. Then, we are light years away from even thinking about the Champions League. Look what happened to us against Malmo. Yes, I agree that as a club we have to be ambitious, but that's a step too far at the moment for our club. I don't believe there is that sort of drive and ambition at the top level of the club in any case.

Is Champions League for second place back because of our new Fifa Ranking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sudds_1
13-04-2014, 02:31 PM

nah.........less sh+t at Gullane...........plenty at Porty :D

emerald green
13-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Is Champions League for second place back because of our new Fifa Ranking?

I'm not sure mate, but if it is we are nowhere near good enough to compete at that level. That's not being negative bye the way. Surely nobody thinks this Hibs squad is remotely capable of competing at that level? If so, they need to wake up and smell the coffee IMHO.

ronaldo7
13-04-2014, 02:53 PM

I sure we could launch from Archerfield after a wee game of gowf wi Petrie. It's a well trodden path to his house ye ken.:aok:

TheFamous1875
13-04-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure mate, but if it is we are nowhere near good enough to compete at that level. That's not being negative bye the way. Surely nobody thinks this Hibs squad is remotely capable of competing at that level? If so, they need to wake up and smell the coffee IMHO.

No team in Scotland apart from Celtic (and not to the level they seem to conceit) can compete at that level. However, JUST to compete would be incredible for teams financially. Every player wants to play Champions League football and we'd see a higher standard of player attracted to Scotland if this was the case.

Hibercelona
13-04-2014, 02:59 PM

Nobody said Hibs could compete at that level. But that shouldn't stop us from at least aiming to gain entry anyway.

You always aim higher than what you think is possible, that way, you'll always give it your all. It should be no different for a football club.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-04-2014, 03:00 PM

Sorry instant success at Aberdeen!? Skovdahl, Miller (A & W), Hegarty, Porterfield, Tangoman. Hardly any more instant than ours an inbetween those instant success stories ar Aberdeen even we won something. Aberdeen are as much of a basket case of a club as us. And remember they had to go to penalties to win their cup. If today had been us the bottle merchant stories would have been written already.

rcarter1
13-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Sorry instant success at Aberdeen!? Skovdahl, Miller (A & W), Hegarty, Porterfield, Tangoman. Hardly any more instant than ours an inbetween those instant success stories ar Aberdeen even we won something. Aberdeen are as much of a basket case of a club as us. And remember they had to go to penalties to win their cup. If today had been us the bottle merchant stories would have been written already.

In the grander scheme of things this is absolutely right. They have been largely honking for many many years. The fact they've done what they've done this season is a huge source of encouragement for me regarding Hibs. If we get it right over summer it could be near 'instant' success.