PDA

View Full Version : NHC crowd at Perth

maturehibby
25-02-2014, 09:44 PM
1892, according to the BBC - how can St Johnstone survive on crowds of this size - perhaps they should adopt same counters at they do at Tynie.

Scorrie
25-02-2014, 09:47 PM
That's poor. Saints are a decent team to watch as well. Dunno what the answer is for them

Bishop Hibee
25-02-2014, 09:51 PM
1892, according to the BBC - how can St Johnstone survive on crowds of this size - perhaps they should adopt same counters at they do at Tynie.

Poor. Like all other Scottish towns, Perth is full of Newco/Celtc fans and Motherwell will have a small travelling support. Given so much negativity towards Scottish football by Scottish football fans and others it's a wonder anyone turns up. Well done to the 1892 though.

Golden Bear
25-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Poor. Like all other Scottish towns, Perth is full of Newco/Celtc fans and Motherwell will have a small travelling support. Given so much negativity towards Scottish football by Scottish football fans and others it's a wonder anyone turns up. Well done to the 1892 though.

They'll offer the argument that in percentage terms of the population, they get a bigger crowd than a lot of teams.

wookie70
25-02-2014, 10:11 PM
They also offer brilliant family deals so that would eat into revenue too

Ronniekirk
25-02-2014, 11:36 PM
In general some clubs seem to be getting lower crowds this season so that will be a concern for a few chairmen for next season as the product on the park won't be any better as poorer crowds less transfer budget .unless you cheat of course But wait a minute all those teams will be in the lower league next season but probably getting bigger home crowds than most teams in the bottom six of the Top league .

IWasThere2016
26-02-2014, 07:06 AM
That's awful - our game is wrecked (besides that Perth's a dying city. No sure why anyone would want to go there personally).

Hibbyradge
26-02-2014, 07:23 AM
I'm surprised at how low that crowd was.

I was sure the SPFL's plan to increase crowds by scheduling games on the same night as Man United's Champions League game was live on TV would have worked a treat

Viva_Palmeiras
26-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Walkups spent their money on the rugby?

ian cruise
26-02-2014, 07:54 AM
I'm surprised at how low that crowd was.

I was sure the SPFL's plan to increase crowds by scheduling games on the same night as Man United's Champions League game was live on TV would have worked a treat

Maybe they looked at the form earlier in the season and presumed Man Utd would be out of the Champions League by now :wink:

Jim44
26-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Slightly off topic, but I glanced at a pre-match article ( Scotsman, I think) where McColl was saying he was'nt concerned about the race for second place as he would settle for third and a European place. What sort of message was that to send out to his players and fans and also to St Johnstone as well.?

Winston Ingram
26-02-2014, 08:23 AM
They've pretty much always had awful crowds. They were propped up prev by Geoff Brown and they benefited greatly when they ended up with a free state of the art stadium thanks to Asda and a local farmer.

All that gave the illusion that they are a bigger club than they are.

The truth is they are probably about the same size as the likes of Morton or Airdrie

lucky
26-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Why play a game on CL night which is live on TV. Generally Scottish football is dying and is far to expensive. We will be lucky to get 8500 on Friday night. Whilst we have all rejoiced at the demise of Rangers and the yams it is having an effect on the game

DaveF
26-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Why play a game on CL night which is live on TV. Generally Scottish football is dying and is far to expensive. We will be lucky to get 8500 on Friday night. Whilst we have all rejoiced at the demise of Rangers and the yams it is having an effect on the game

So if Rangers were in the SPL and Hearts were flying high, we'd get more than 8500 on Friday :confused:

The games been dying for years. And it was happening when Huns and mini huns were splurging the cash they never had.

jakeshibs
26-02-2014, 09:00 AM

I am happy to see justice given out to the 2 teams mentioned, to not act would of had a greater effect on our league as we must look at sustainability, integrity, honesty and have the courage to act.

attendances across lots of clubs are affected for many various reasons, lets ensure we keep supporting the hibs..

Jones28
26-02-2014, 11:59 AM
St Johnstone in low crowd shocker. I think all this proves is that a couple of decent season have them thinking they are a bigger club than they are.

I don't think I have ever seen the home end at Mcdirmid Park anything like full, going back 10-15 years.

***** crowds at clubs like Inverness and Motherwell who are doing really well is much more conclusive proof that the appetite for the game in Scotland is dying off.

Lendo
26-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Around 18,000 at the Aberdeen game last night, which is pretty good considering the CL fitbaw on the tele last night.

Bronson
26-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Perth isn't a vastly populated area but that is an abysmal support.

St Johnstone have been punching above their weight for years though, clubs in the first division like Dundee and Falkirk are much bigger.

Pretty Boy
26-02-2014, 02:39 PM
The biggest problem isn't folk supporting Sevco or Celtc. It's the number of people who only follow English football now because 'Scottish football is pish'.

In my work there are about 8 of us who follow football, drink together, play darts etc. All Scottish (5 from Edinburgh, 1 Invergordon, 1 Kirkaldy, 1 Glasgow). We have 1 Hibs supporter (me), 3 Liverpool fans, an Arsenal fan, a Newcastle fan, a Man Utd fan and a Man City fan who used to support Chelsea (I didn't think they really existed).

How people can get so passionate about teams they have no connection with is beyond me.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-02-2014, 04:44 PM
We are probably forgetting that St Johnstone actually live within their means. They have hardly any infrastructure to support. Those artificial pitches at the side of the main entrance, earn them a good return as well.
I would rather applaud the staff behind that club for getting a team as good as that onto the park will little or no resources, than make any comment about how well they are received in the community.

Moulin Yarns
26-02-2014, 05:07 PM
That's awful - our game is wrecked (besides that Perth's a dying city. No sure why anyone would want to go there personally).

At least it's not Monifeith. I work beside quite a few Saints fans. 1 doesn't go due to costs but lives a mile from the ground. Another didn't even know they were playing. But they are Saints fans.

flash
26-02-2014, 05:43 PM
The relentless negativity doesn't help either. This forum is almost completely lacking in anything positive these days.

If I was thinking about going on Friday 5 minutes on here would dissuade me completely.

sadtom
26-02-2014, 05:51 PM
There will be a number of reasons, most of them already mentioned, The only 1 i could add to the list is - it doesn't help when you rip the heart out a club and move to a soulless, breeze block shell on the outskirts of town.

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-02-2014, 05:51 PM
They never have had good crowds since about the 70s have they, far too many buses heading for darkheid or ipox of course, typical of these days now really.

Terrible attendance by the way, almost shocking.

weonlywon6-2
26-02-2014, 05:52 PM
So if Rangers were in the SPL and Hearts were flying high, we'd get more than 8500 on Friday :confused:

The games been dying for years. And it was happening when Huns and mini huns were splurging the cash they never had.

who knows if it would affect our crowd but scottish football is heading in the wrong direction.
celtic barely get more than 30,000 at home games now,thats about 25,000 down on what they were getting when rangers were around.
what rangers and hearts have done is very wrong but the bottom line,in my opinion is that we need is certainly rangers back in the top flight again.
dont care about hearts but financially the league will be better of with them both in it.
its a difficult one to take but it is reality i feel.

this is purely looking at it from a money point of view

flash
26-02-2014, 05:59 PM
who knows if it would affect our crowd but scottish football is heading in the wrong direction.
celtic barely get more than 30,000 at home games now,thats about 25,000 down on what they were getting when rangers were around.
what rangers and hearts have done is very wrong but the bottom line,in my opinion is that we need is certainly rangers back in the top flight again.
dont care about hearts but financially the league will be better of with them both in it.

They had to be punished but there's no getting away from the fact that the rest of us have been punished too.

Sir David Gray
26-02-2014, 06:12 PM

Sometimes money isn't everything.

Teams who go to the lengths that Hearts and Rangers (RIP) have in order to cheat their way to success have to be punished, even if it's not the best thing from a financial point of view.

Hibercelona
26-02-2014, 06:15 PM
St Johnstone in low crowd shocker. I think all this proves is that a couple of decent season have them thinking they are a bigger club than they are.

Think thats a bit harsh to be fair. St Johnstone don't come across as a club who think they're massive (unlike Hearts).

They do however punch above their weight and would have every right to gloat about it in front of us.

DaveF
26-02-2014, 06:32 PM
The relentless negativity doesn't help either. This forum is almost completely lacking in anything positive these days.

If I was thinking about going on Friday 5 minutes on here would dissuade me completely.

Good of you to post something positive then :greengrin

flash
26-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Good of you to post something positive then :greengrin

Well aye but you get my drift.

weonlywon6-2
26-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Sometimes money isn't everything.

Teams who go to the lengths that Hearts and Rangers (RIP) have in order to cheat their way to success have to be punished, even if it's not the best thing from a financial point of view.

in football,money is everything.It divides the man city's from the brechin city's

Mr White
26-02-2014, 07:16 PM
in football,money is everything.It divides the man city's from the brechin city's

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere about a hedge fund but i'm bushed if I can find it.

weonlywon6-2
26-02-2014, 07:39 PM
I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere about a hedge fund but i'm bushed if I can find it.

Maybe its a Privet joke :greengrin

TheFamous1875
26-02-2014, 08:08 PM
All teams (including Hibs) should really push for local advertising campaigns for their clubs, enticing young football fans to come to games through primary school and community initiatives, etc. Imagine if all these towns all over Scotland had their token old firm fans supporting their local team instead - football in this country would be immensely better off.

In regards to Hibs; my whole life I've been gobsmacked when meeting Edinburgh people who choose to support the Old Firm. There's two big (one bigger than the other apparently) football clubs in this city that would be even bigger if people didn't have such a "cop out" attitude. And it seems to be getting worse with most people opting to support teams they'll only ever see on TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

green&left
26-02-2014, 08:50 PM

When do you play it then? There was European football Tuesday, Wednesday (Champs League) likewise Europa League on the Thursday, probably that 'MNF' pish aswell, there's major fitba on pretty much everyday of the week.

Also don't see how having a strong huns/wee huns would improve the crowd at a St Johnstone v Motherwell match on a Wednesday night.

Celtic havn't regularly gotten 55k since the Martin O'Neil days. Even when they were competing with the huns it was probaly 38-40k. When the huns were walking away with it i've been to Parkhead when its been more empty than it is now.

The biggest problem is the few OF fans travelling to Glasgow, the biggest problem is these twitter facebook 'jeff and the boys kris kamara' love-in Sky Sports c***s who dont bother with Scottish fitba 'cos "its *****" yet havn't been to a game in their puff. Not much you can do about that i'm afraid, sign of the times.

flash
27-02-2014, 07:18 AM
The biggest problem is the few OF fans travelling to Glasgow, the biggest problem is these twitter facebook 'jeff and the boys kris kamara' love-in Sky Sports c***s who dont bother with Scottish fitba 'cos "its *****" yet havn't been to a game in their puff. Not much you can do about that i'm afraid, sign of the times.

Spot on. Anyone who would rather watch a screeching moron watching a match than actually attend one themselves is not a football supporter.

StevieC
27-02-2014, 08:21 AM
besides that Perth's a dying city. No sure why anyone would want to go there personally.

Really? That's news to me.

Lets try and put this into perspective .. Perth has a population of one tenth of Edinburgh, its not a "footballing" city by any shape or means.
Despite that they get a crowd that that is probably on par with what we'd get, based on per head of population of a city (shared with 2 teams). Despite the low local potential of fan base they have spent a fair bit of their recent history in the top league, had a few jaunts in Europe and even reached a cup final.
Slate the crowd all you want but that's not a bad record for a "wee" team.

Moulin Yarns
27-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Really? That's news to me.

Lets try and put this into perspective .. Perth has a population of one tenth of Edinburgh, its not a "footballing" city by any shape or means.
Despite that they get a crowd that that is probably on par with what we'd get, based on per head of population of a city (shared with 2 teams). Despite the low local potential of fan base they have spent a fair bit of their recent history in the top league, had a few jaunts in Europe and even reached a cup final.
Slate the crowd all you want but that's not a bad record for a "wee" team.

At least it's not Monifeith.

I prefer my answer!! :wink:

also, if Perth is a dying city...

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/perth-kinross/group-reveal-ambitious-bid-to-lure-tate-offshoot-to-perth-city-hall-1.243106