PDA

View Full Version : Players you liked but not everyone rated

Paloschi
20-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Positive-ish thread here.

What player or players did you 'like' or 'rate' that struggled to get other fans or the gaffers approval?

Mine are for example;

Benji - Loved him TBH. Always excited me when he was coming off the bench as I had a confidence he would score/create and change the game. He often did. I thought he had a great footballing brain and was a talented finisher. However not everyone took to him as well as others.

Kevin McBride - Our holding #17 was for me, one of the best players under Yogi. Always kept it cool and simple. Wasn't the most gifted but positionally very good. Me and my mate were full of praise for him. I even once said he was our best player (must have been steaming :greengrin). However alot of supporters thought he was garbage :agree:

So.... is there anyone you can think of?

Craig_HFC
20-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Lewis Stevenson. He's getting more plaudits nowadays to be fair but for the past 3 seasons or so he got a lot of abuse from the support.

Colin Nish. He wasn't the best player in the world but he always gave 100% and some of the abuse he got was way over the top imo. His goals to games ratio for Hibs was actually pretty decent, I think.

I agree about McBride btw, he was really good up until Christmas time (possibly until he got sent off against the ex-Huns?).

Ray_
20-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Positive-ish thread here.

What player or players did you 'like' or 'rate' that struggled to get other fans or the gaffers approval?

Mine are for example;

Benji - Loved him TBH. Always excited me when he was coming off the bench as I had a confidence he would score/create and change the game. He often did. I thought he had a great footballing brain and was a talented finisher. However not everyone took to him as well as others.

Kevin McBride - Our holding #17 was for me, one of the best players under Yogi. Always kept it cool and simple. Wasn't the most gifted but positionally very good. Me and my mate were full of praise for him. I even once said he was our best player (must have been steaming :greengrin). However alot of supporters thought he was garbage :agree:

So.... is there anyone you can think of?

Peter Cormack, outstanding and one of the very best who have graced our club, but he took more than his fair share abuse from a section of the support.

craigmounthibby
20-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Liam Miller

lapsedhibee
20-02-2014, 12:36 PM
I've never really felt the hate for Satchel that other .netters have. For the half season that Hurly Burley was in charge of the yams he was a fine player.

What? :dunno: Wrong thread? :dunno:

hfc rd
20-02-2014, 12:36 PM
Ricardo Vaz Te. If we had a half decent manager at that time, that could get the best out of him, I believe he could have became a very good player for us as he was skilful and direct. I felt that their was a player in their somewhere but majority of my mates didn't agree and wanted him binned.

Just_Jimmy
20-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Yannick Zambernardi. TBF I cannot recall if he was liked or not but he was always cool and composed under pressure, could pick a (40 yard) pass and was Hibs class.

Stuart Lovell - massively under rated, always speaks highly of Hibs too. Class act.

Spudster
20-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Lewis & Wotherspoon. Both hugely affected by turmoil at the club, change of managers every season or two. Fans always on their back as they were terrified of doing something wrong on the pitch and being binned by the new manager. Both should have left (much sooner in Wotherspoons case) and their careers would look alot different I'm sure. Can see Harris falling into this category to in about 12 months.

easty
20-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Yannick Zambernardi. TBF I cannot recall if he was liked or not but he was always cool and composed under pressure, could pick a (40 yard) pass and was Hibs class.

Stuart Lovell - massively under rated, always speaks highly of Hibs too. Class act.

I loved Zambernardi, but it's being kind to say he could pick a pass. He looked the part with his long diagonals, but they went to nobody as often as the found a man.

Dashing Bob S
20-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Paul Hartley.

TheFamous1875
20-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Lewis & Wotherspoon. Both hugely affected by turmoil at the club, change of managers every season or two. Fans always on their back as they were terrified of doing something wrong on the pitch and being binned by the new manager. Both should have left (much sooner in Wotherspoons case) and their careers would look alot different I'm sure. Can see Harris falling into this category to in about 12 months.

Wotherspoon goes down as the ultimate casualty of this era, in my book. Lots of potential but completely nurtured the wrong way. Lewis and Paul Hanlon are now showing signs of their quality with a good manager at the helm bringing them on.

I've said it for some time, that the most important signing a club can make is the manager. You can have good players (and we have), but without a good manager at the helm, you'll go nowhere, and that's exactly what happened to us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Peevemor
20-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Joe T & Brian Hamilton

Pretty Boy
20-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Stuart Lovell instantly springs to mind. The perfect example of even a good team 'needing' a boo boy. Remember a game, away to Stranraer I think, where he scored and the guy next to me was screaming 'thanks for that now **** off back to Bondi Beach you convict ****'.

One of the strangest ways I have witnessed a fan celebrating a goal.

Golden Bear
20-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Ally Mcleod of late seventies/ early eighties vintage.

Ally was an absolutely brilliant player who scored almost 100 goals for the Hibees but for whatever reason he was never universally accepted by the Hibs support. Some thought he was downright lazy, others thought he was just a fat bassa but what he definitely did have was skill in abundance, great vision and a knack of scoring some spectacular goals out of absolutely nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr6qwx6CZlM

Mark79
20-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Matt doherty and edwin de graaf

Only joking both were honking.

BSEJVT
20-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Joe T & Brian Hamilton

Agree with both of those but especially Benji

I think in yesteryear he would have been viewed as a flawed genius

Whereas during his time with us he was viewed by many as a lazy bassa /wage thief

The guy was massively talented but unfortunately didn't IMO have the mental aptitude to support that talent.

GlenrothesHibee
20-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Dean Sheils. Always gave 100% but there were a good few who didn't rate him.

Shelton Martis. Actually thought he was a talented lad. Mainly for scoring own goals right enough but I did thonk he was a good player

Paloschi
20-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Here's another cracker....

OUMAR KONDE.... if I remember correctly he marked Paul Hartley (who had just scored 3 against us) out the game when we beat those barstewards 2-1 at Easter Road. Benji got the winner.

hibIBZ
20-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Derek townsley

TheFamous1875
20-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Benji's another case where you, the fan, is sitting in the stand watching him not get stuck in and being enraged because you knew he could do it! I thought Benji was a good player with bags of potential, but he had the worst attitude possible, hence his career going down the toilet.

Zemmama's the same to an extent. An absolute wizard with the ball. I remember a match in about 2009/10 against Dundee United, where he ran the show and he was colossal with his skill and vision, absolutely thrilling to watch. The next match however, he'd be a shirking coward, not on the ball, and not getting involved at all, etc.

It was so frustrating to watch them at times, as you knew they could do it.

Both of these laddies had so much talent, but they never had that extra bit to take them to the level they were capable of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

--------
20-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Brian Hamilton. Stu Lovell. Lewis.

All midfielders, not spectacular in what they do, but you always need one player like them in the team.

Grafters who let the other players do the fancy stuff knowing that someone has their backs.

frazeHFC
20-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Akpo Sodje. When he joined and was scoring the goals the guys infront of me still moaned at the guy. I liked him a lot when he was with us.

Smartie
20-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Paul Lovering. After the likes of David Elliot and Jamie McQuilken had insulted our number 3 jersey I thought he was the real deal. I can't really remember where it went wrong for him but I remember him playing a decent part in our promotion side. I think he might have lost his place to Tom Smith actually who was another unsung hero.

Am I allowed to say Paul Hartley? Always thought he had quality and I never thought he let us down. Played several postions, mainly wide and sometimes up front but never in his best position. Boy did he come back to haunt us.

Also, I'm delighted to see Sam Stanton emerge of late. I've been impressed with him every time he's featured. Again, mainly used for 10 minutes at a time and played wide but I'd have had him in the side about a year ago, playing as a number 10. We've been crying out for this guy for ages and he's been under our noses all the time.

My_Wife_Camille
20-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Agree with Kevin McBride. Think Konde is a good shout too, the guy barely put a foot wrong but was never going to get into a midfield with the likes of Boozy, Brown, Thomson, Stewart and Shiels doing the business.

Humphrey Rudge is another one. Thought he was generally solid whenever he played apart from one horror show in Dunfermline. He was the victim of a stupid name IMO

Graham Stack

jeffers
20-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Ally Mcleod of late seventies/ early eighties vintage.

Ally was an absolutely brilliant player who scored almost 100 goals for the Hibees but for whatever reason he was never universally accepted by the Hibs support. Some thought he was downright lazy, others thought he was just a fat bassa but what he definitely did have was skill in abundance, great vision and a knack of scoring some spectacular goals out of absolutely nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr6qwx6CZlM

Couldn't agree more, my favourite player of all time.

Jones28
20-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Akpo Sodje. When he joined and was scoring the goals the guys infront of me still moaned at the guy. I liked him a lot when he was with us.

Absolutely, I rated sodje when he was with us.

vanNISHtelroy
20-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Colin Nish. He wasn't the best player in the world but he always gave 100% and some of the abuse he got was way over the top imo. His goals to games ratio for Hibs was actually pretty decent, I think.

Was the same at Rugby Park as well....rated the guy pretty highly.

But he was replacing good players at both clubs, Boyd and Naisy at Killie

jdships
20-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Benny Brazil was my favourite " non favourite"

JustSimplyHibs
20-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Brian Hamilton - always broke up play and played a simple ball.

Paul Hartley - Don't know why but i liked him when he played for Hibs.

Alan Sneddon - was young when he was about but always remember the grumbles whenever he had the ball. I thought he was a no bad player.

Joe T - Liked him too but always had his moaners.

Neil Orr - thought he was a good player but still got some stick.

John Rankin - again like Neil Orr.

Stuart Lovell - we more solid defensively when he played

George McCluskey - liked him but always had his moaners.

RIP Bestie
20-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Alan Sneddon. Took some stick week after week from the Hibs fans but was a solid defender and great servant. I was delighted to see him get a testimonial and a very good turnout. Well deserved IMO.

Paul Kane I had many many disagreements in the East defending Kano every week. I think that a lot of fans realised how good a player he was once he had left and was top man at both Aberdeen and St Johnstone.

Brian Hamilton. very good player who was appreciated by his teammates. Again a lot of fans realised this after he left.

John Connelly. A very very good player who came to us late in his career. Would have liked to have seen him in his prime with us.

Ralph Callaghan ​Another who used to take a lot of stick. Could be lazy but what a player

lord bunberry
20-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Clayton Donaldson was underrated imo, he has kept on scoring since he left.

Paloschi
20-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Absolutely, I rated sodje when he was with us.

Me too. I thought he was a very good short term option. I also liked Mickeal Antoine-Courier and Clayton Donaldson.

Paloschi
20-02-2014, 02:14 PM
John Rankin anyone? :agree: Always gave 100% although ability wise he was not the best. I think he is showing why he was underrated at Dundee Utd - perhaps better with others with more technical skill around him

I remember the days when fans were complaining about Whittiker not being able to defend and Steven Fletcher being a headless chicken!

Some interesting ones coming up in Liam Miller, Humphry Rudge and Paul Hartley too....

hibsmad
20-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Yannik Zambernardi and Lyndon 6-2 Andrews are two favourites of mine.

nonshinyfinish
20-02-2014, 06:06 PM

These two definitely. The first year my Dad and I got season tickets there was a guy behind us who gave Lovell constant abuse. I remember Archie scoring a peach against St Johnstone, and about 20 folk turned round to give this moron pelters.

M11BMO
20-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Vaz Te. Always said there was a player in there...

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Derek Collins was a better player than most gave him credit for.

hibeesjoe
20-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Paul Lovering. After the likes of David Elliot and Jamie McQuilken had insulted our number 3 jersey I thought he was the real deal. I can't really remember where it went wrong for him but I remember him playing a decent part in our promotion side. I think he might have lost his place to Tom Smith actually who was another unsung hero.

Am I allowed to say Paul Hartley? Always thought he had quality and I never thought he let us down. Played several postions, mainly wide and sometimes up front but never in his best position. Boy did he come back to haunt us.

Also, I'm delighted to see Sam Stanton emerge of late. I've been impressed with him every time he's featured. Again, mainly used for 10 minutes at a time and played wide but I'd have had him in the side about a year ago, playing as a number 10. We've been crying out for this guy for ages and he's been under our noses all the time.

Another Lovering fan here. Cant really remember what happened to him though. Liked the way he always ran over too the east with a big clap before kick off

Beefster
20-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Davie Farrell.

Fergus52
20-02-2014, 06:25 PM
I remember thinking Noubissie was allright, although I was quite young.

emerald green
20-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Matt doherty and edwin de graaf

Only joking both were honking.

I will never forgive Doherty for the way he performed in that cup final, and for his attitude and general demeanour. Not fit to wear the jersey. A total disgrace.:grr:

SteveHFC
20-02-2014, 07:12 PM
I will never forgive Doherty for the way he performed in that cup final, and for his attitude and general demeanour. Not fit to wear the jersey. A total disgrace.:grr:

:agree:

Stax
20-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Eduardo Hurtado. Definitely a player in there....problem was he looked like he'd eaten the player :greengrin

andy1875
20-02-2014, 07:16 PM
I always rated Paul Tosh, in fact, I thought he was so good I got Tosh 7 on the back on my strip. Nowt to do with the fact I only had about £3 pocket money that week. :greengrin

My mate got Boco 3, great times :greengrin

clerriehibs
20-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Graham Mitchell ... can't remember if he took a lot of stick, but definitely underrated.

SteveHFC
20-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Clayton Donaldson

RN Hibee
20-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Ricardo Vaz Te, we didn't see much of him but with a pre-season under his belt and a bit more time at the club I reckon he could've been a fan favourite. Obviously he had other ideas regarding his career path, although I will also admit to thinking that Edwin de Graaf was going to be a good player for us when we first signed him.

The Green Goblin
20-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Probably the only one here, but I never understood how Humphrey Rudge didn't get more games. Thought he was pretty good on the rare occasions he played. He wasn't a genius or anything but as a defender, I thought he did the job simply but effectively.

hibee_girl
20-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Stuart Lovell - I wrote to him when he left us cos I was so gutted, he wrote back and I still have the letter :greengrin

John Rankin - always thought he got a rough ride from some fans

Eoin Doyle - said from the first game that he played that he was an intelligent player, wish he had stayed

Lewis Stevenson - I just love him!

RyeSloan
20-02-2014, 07:38 PM
I always rated Paul Tosh, in fact, I thought he was so good I got Tosh 7 on the back on my strip. Nowt to do with the fact I only had about £3 pocket money that week. :greengrin My mate got Boco 3, great times :greengrin

Paul Tosh is probably up there in my list of the absolute worst players I have seen at ER!

Rankin for me...Duracell man that would have fitted in great next to a ball player or two.

Bronson
20-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Victor Palsson

eggbamyasi
20-02-2014, 07:50 PM
I liked justin skinner though he never got praise he deserved wasn't world class or anything lol but though he did really good job for us . Also about same time derek collins again though he gave all for club when he played . Agree with paul lovering was exciting when he bombed forward but his defensive skills werent too hot .also agree paul tosh was horiffically bad almost as bad as lee power who was almost as bad as chris miller lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

yekimevol
20-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Benji - I always thought he was a great player, still remember going nuts when Hughes would play Nish over him. Always wanted to see him play just behind the striker e.g. Stanton / Handlings position in Butchers side.

Rankin - Great work ethic, always felt that managers judged him differently over other players i.e. Mcbride would play over him or thornhill, Soares. Actually like seeing him play as the holding mid at united putting out fires everywhere.

Dean Sheils - Remember Collins not playing him and then the Hat-Trick against ICT in Mixu's debut game. Great talent, would love to see him back.

Ian Murray (Second Time) - One of the only players that you could never question the passion or desire. Still beileve that Him, Ivan and spoony could have stopped that final; Or made it more of a contest.

Ivan Sproule (Second Time) - I always felt that Ivan's issue on his return was defending. He spent so much time in his own half that he never got the chance to take on his own half, Look at his time at county played as a winger less defending made a impact.

PS someone tell me we couldn't use these players now ?

Craig_in_Prague
20-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Stevie Crawford

Northernhibee
20-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Martin Scott. Not the most technically gifted but could break up play, always put in a shift and had a wicked shot on him.

snooky
20-02-2014, 08:13 PM
I loved Zambernardi, but it's being kind to say he could pick a pass. He looked the part with his long diagonals, but they went to nobody as often as the found a man.

4-4?

500miles
20-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Francis Dickoh seemed to be getting to grips with the physical, fast paced nature of the Scottish game before we let him go. Was disappointed we let him go, and even more miffed when he was replaced with Sean O'Hanlon.

IainA
20-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Eoin Doyle
Gareth Evens

both always gave 100% and both demonstrated real talent

:thumbsup:

Smartie
20-02-2014, 08:19 PM
I always rated Paul Tosh, in fact, I thought he was so good I got Tosh 7 on the back on my strip. Nowt to do with the fact I only had about £3 pocket money that week. :greengrin

My mate got Boco 3, great times :greengrin

IIRC Tosh actually had a decent debut. I think he came on as a sub and scored a cracking volley. He was truly pitiful though and is my least favourite Hibs player of all time. I remember him shirking a tackle when we were horsed 4-0 at McDiarmid Park and I nearly had a heart attack howling abuse at him.

I quite liked Boco at the time although history seems to have cast him out as a dud.

Justin Skinner was a very decent player for us and again was exactly what we needed to bolster the midfield at that time. Scored an absolute screamer at Airdrie. His Hibs career also petered out a bit and I don't quite remember what happened to him. Possibly lost his place in the side to a Monsieur Sauzee.

The_Exile
20-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Jarko Wiss, I admired his unseen work.

The_Horde
20-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Gary smith
Stephen Glass

eggbamyasi
20-02-2014, 08:31 PM
IIRC Tosh actually had a decent debut. I think he came on as a sub and scored a cracking volley. He was truly pitiful though and is my least favourite Hibs player of all time. I remember him shirking a tackle when we were horsed 4-0 at McDiarmid Park and I nearly had a heart attack howling abuse at him.

I quite liked Boco at the time although history seems to have cast him out as a dud.

Justin Skinner was a very decent player for us and again was exactly what we needed to bolster the midfield at that time. Scored an absolute screamer at Airdrie. His Hibs career also petered out a bit and I don't quite remember what happened to him. Possibly lost his place in the side to a Monsieur Sauzee.

We got mattais jack I think and we moved him to def mid skinner became back up cause jack was playing well . At that time dont know if anyone else remembers , we bought jack as a centre back where he was a wee bit shoddy and he had a horiffic german mullet . He shaved his head and we moved him to def midfield and he became absolute quality . I always was sure it was the shaving of the head that made him that much better lol scared opposition into submission hehe

eastterrace
20-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Me too. I thought he was a very good short term option. I also liked Mickeal Antoine-Courier and Clayton Donaldson.

pish both of them imo, donaldson had one good game against killie and the other guy was so slow.

Cabbage East
20-02-2014, 08:49 PM
;3912292']Gary smith
Stephen Glass

Smith was class for us and was highly rated by the fans.

Hibby Gav
20-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Michael O'Neil and Kevin McAllister
both of these guys got me interested as soon as they got the ball

LaMotta
20-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Enoch Showunmi never got enough credit for his performances in a Hibernian jersey.

GoldenEagle
20-02-2014, 09:22 PM

I think both were rated at ER?

GoldenEagle
20-02-2014, 09:28 PM
It's late and can't remember his first name but the left back who played under McLeish and was Paul Hartley's best mate.. Was it Marc Smith ?
Had to jack it in through injury but for me he was destined for greater things than Hibs (if there is such a thing)

LaMotta
20-02-2014, 09:29 PM
It's late and can't remember his first name but the left back who played under McLeish and was Paul Hartley's best mate.. Was it Marc Smith ?
Had to jack it in but for me he was destined for greater things than Hibs (if there is such a thing)

Tom Smith? - Played full back on either side, I liked him too.

GoldenEagle
20-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Tom Smith? - Played full back on either side, I liked him too.

That's the very man.

Paloschi
20-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Victor Palsson is certainly another for me

Antonio Murray - not sure many didn't like him

I liked Stevie Crawford when I was a kid but seemingly he was ganting?

Davy Mac
20-02-2014, 09:50 PM
David Zitelli - Great player, brilliant left foot, very talented always happy when he played

Alex McGhee - From a late 70's, banged in goals at every reserve game but didn't quite make the first team from what I can remember

Joe McBride - Again, magic left foot and remember scoring 2 at *********** in a 2-2 draw during the early/mid 80's

Ulrik Laursen - Tremendous, very lucky to have him when we did, really hacked off when he left like Murphy

erin go bragh
20-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Hartley ,Lavety , Zambernadi ,Dela Cruz

Ggtth

LaMotta
20-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Colin Harris.

nonshinyfinish
20-02-2014, 10:19 PM
David Zitelli - Great player, brilliant left foot, very talented always happy when he played

Ulrik Laursen - Tremendous, very lucky to have him when we did, really hacked off when he left like Murphy

Don't think these two could be classed as underrated.

eggbamyasi
20-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Had to jack it in through injury but for me he was destined for greater things than Hibs (if there is such a thing)

Agree , he was good two footer fast too , shame injury took him out early

eggbamyasi
20-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Victor Palsson is certainly another for me

Antonio Murray - not sure many didn't like him

I liked Stevie Crawford when I was a kid but seemingly he was ganting?

Always wanted us too sign crawford , we got him too late imo . We missed out on him first time round He went down south was playing really well cant remember which team but when he came too us had lost it :-(

J-C
20-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Victor Palsson, started off looking really classy but for some reason never really kicked on, saying that not many kicked on under Calderwood. :confused: currently playing for NEC in Holland.

Billychaotic182
20-02-2014, 10:28 PM
I always thought Morais looked good but I think I was the only one

stu in nottingham
20-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Barry Lavety - didn't make much of his talent.

Willie Miller - I liked for his...erm 'character'!

Mango Man
21-02-2014, 12:03 AM
Isaah Osbourne, at times he looked a real player, heart didn't seem to be in it though.

California-Hibs
21-02-2014, 01:55 AM
Liam Miller - vastly underrated IMO. Was brilliant many times in centre midfield for us. Rarely missed a pass and scored a few important ones too. A player that had played Premier League and Champions League football for Man United, he was a major signing for us! Gutted when we got rid of him!

spike220
21-02-2014, 03:20 AM
Deegan - stopped other teams taking the p!$$. At a time when we badly needed it. He really added steel to the team imho.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
21-02-2014, 04:59 AM
Deegan (was decent before he brokw his jaw)
Victor Palsson.
Vaz Te.
Clayton Donaldson.
Isaiah Osbourne.
Eoin Doyle.
John Rankin.

Probably a few more.

hibsbollah
21-02-2014, 05:58 AM
Benji is the obvious one. I think some people paid more attention to his body language (shrug, sigh, Im carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders) than what he was actually doing on the pitch, which was usually very good. 18 goals in that season, and without his partnership with Fletcher I doubt we'd have lifted our first trophy in 15 years. But some preferred Nish :dunno:

Gatecrasher
21-02-2014, 06:06 AM
John Rankin was the first name I thought of when I saw the thread title, then Lewis Stevenson.

edinburghhibee
21-02-2014, 06:13 AM
Lyndon Andrews was the player I thought of and only have memories of him playing two games and both were against hearts. One of them was certainly tynie and he was smashing players left right and centre. First time I'd seen a hibs player give them it back.

marinello59
21-02-2014, 06:18 AM
Colin Nish. A striker who did score goals.

Robinho08
21-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Roland Edge.

Waxy
21-02-2014, 06:44 AM
Steve Archibald. My god did alot o guys give him pelters for trudging back to an onside position.

R'Albin
21-02-2014, 07:00 AM
Graham Stack - If it weren't for his injuries he would have been a really good keeper for us IMO. Rarely came out for crosses, but an excellent shot stopper and we always seemed to play better at the back when he was in. As soon as he came back from injury we went on a 6 match winning run under Calderwood.

Mon Dieu4
21-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Tony Rougier, i know he blew hot and cold, more cold than hot if Im honest but i loved the guy

Bobby's Cinema
21-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Roland Edge.
I remember him as being in the bang average DVZ mould. But then I would only have been 12

The_Horde
21-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Nick Colgan

Jones28
21-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Jay Shields was a tremendous wee player. Possibly the best tackler I've seen for us. Totally fearless and I mind him having Dada Prso in his back pocket playing a Right back.

Why did he leave?

I also remember Darren McCormack having a really good debut against Celtic, fell to ***** after it.

Gatecrasher
21-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Tony Rougier, i know he blew hot and cold, more cold than hot if Im honest but i loved the guy

People didn't like Rougier?

He was one of my favourite players to watch when I was younger, I remember one time he skinned a player so well the guy fell on his arse.

Mon Dieu4
21-02-2014, 10:12 AM
People didn't like Rougier?

He was one of my favourite players to watch when I was younger, I remember one time he skinned a player so well the guy fell on his arse.

I think most folk liked him but lots thought he flattered to deceive

hibsbollah
21-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Id add Steven Thicot to the list, looked class when he arrived but never really got to grips with the physical side of the game IMO.

lyonhibs
21-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Rankin and Antoine curier are big ones for me. Benji did my nut in.

Also Craig James, loan under Bobby W. They're were a fair few games where crosses from him onto Mixu's napper were a reliable source of goals

Wailing_Banshee
21-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Benny Brazil seriously under-rated, always remember his hat-trick against Celtic - not sure who was more surprised by it him or the entire crowd.

Steve Archibald was mentioned earlier but I don't think that he wasn't rated, but he was totally frustrating at times. He seemed to play as though the rest of the team were as good as him and he made moves and passes that just ended up making everyone look foolish, he couldn't seem to adjust to playing with a team of diddies.

DH1875
21-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Nish
Sodje.
Rankin.
Zambernardi.
Chris Killen.
Gary Caldwell.

Denes Rosa and Yantorno where two cracking players who I'd have loved to have made it at ER.

blaikie
21-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Thierry Gathuessi
Zarabi
Rosa

Not Everyone's cup of tea. But all had potential to be real assets to club.

hibeesjoe
21-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Really liked Deegan, proper no nonsense. Can't understand why a broken jaw would affect your day job but he was never the same afterwards

Glory Lurker
21-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Gareth Evans. Don't think Miller got the best out of him.

Stuart Lovell. I couldn't believe the abuse he got sometimes. I don't know much about football, really, but clearly a whole load more than some.

Justin Skinner. He was a key part in us getting back up.

I though Fabrice Henry was alright, but it didn't work out.

Stephen Dobbie. Too many folk got uptight about his weight. One of the truest, hardest shots I've ever seen.

Simkin911
21-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Frédéric Arpinon

sleeping giant
21-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Paul Wright. Quality striker.

Allant1981
21-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Always wanted us too sign crawford , we got him too late imo . We missed out on him first time round He went down south was playing really well cant remember which team but when he came too us had lost it :-(

Wouldnt say he had lost it considering we were only his 3rd club, and he scored a few goals for us

Iggy Pope
21-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Genius

SteveHFC
21-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Victor Palsson, started off looking really classy but for some reason never really kicked on, saying that not many kicked on under Calderwood. :confused: currently playing for NEC in Holland.

I wished we kept Palsson instead of signing Soares :boo hoo:

Hiber-nation
21-02-2014, 08:54 PM
Genius

I remember some erse in the old North Stand starting up a "Brazil must go" chant and almost getting lynched.

Hiber-nation
21-02-2014, 08:55 PM

Stuart Lovell. I couldn't believe the abuse he got sometimes. I don't know much about football, really, but clearly a whole load more than some.

Stephen Dobbie. Too many folk got uptight about his weight. One of the truest, hardest shots I've ever seen.

Agree with all except Henry, can't really remember him doing anything.

Graeme Mitchell used to get regular abuse from a few erseholes near us but I can hardly remember him having a bad game.

Iggy Pope
21-02-2014, 09:03 PM

Alex McGhee - From a late 70's, banged in goals at every reserve game but didn't quite make the first team from what I can remember

Joe McBride - Again, magic left foot and remember scoring 2 at *********** in a 2-2 draw during the early/mid 80's

Don't remember Alex McGhee getting any sort of run outside the reserves, but if any of the other 5 above are not rated, then I doubt we ever rated anyone!

Paloschi
21-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Liam Craig.

Top scorer yet some don't rate him.

He has suffered without Robertson. That's all. He should be back in the team for Stevenson or Harris tomorrow

QMU-1875
21-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Mickael Antoine-Courier was a decent player that people seemed to dislike due to the journey man tag. I remember the few games before he left he started banging in a couple of goals, scored a screamer against someone at easter road as well.

shetlandhibee
22-02-2014, 02:09 AM
Rankin
Sheilds (even though most people though he was really good, he didnt get played as much as he should have and shouldnt have been sold)

PerfectlyFranck
22-02-2014, 03:33 AM
Steven Thicot - Wrongly played at right-back and not given a proper chance at centre-back or a single chance in his natural position as a defensive-mid.
I thought he was class. Though it is hardly saying much, I thought he was the best passer by some distance.

He was a good tackler but couldn't keep up with the pace of the game, I think a consistent run in a decent position would have helped or playing him in defensive-midfield.

easty
22-02-2014, 07:55 AM
Steven Thicot - Wrongly played

I would have left it at that..

WellingtonHibby
22-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Hkt

Keith_M
22-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Makalamby.

Honestly, this is not a joke. If we'd just played him in every game except against Hearts, he would still be here.

Oh and John Rankin. I used to feel sorry for him with the level of abuse he got. I think he was a steady but unspectacular player low on confidence. No wonder, his every touch was booed by our I-pay-my-money-so-I'm-entitled-to-criticise fans

snooky
22-02-2014, 09:55 AM

Agree with these 3.

We missed Airchie big-time when he left. Alas, he came back to haunt us in the Livi SLC final.

Henry looked the part at first but somehow faded away. Don't know if it was because he was cold-shouldered on the park but he kinda vanished as the game(s) went on.

I loved the Dobster. He scored two cracking goals in a pre-season friendly against Sunderland. If only he'd stayed and shed a few pounds ......

judas
22-02-2014, 10:02 AM

Lovell - agree

Justin Skinner - composed and excellent passer.

bigwheel
22-02-2014, 10:06 AM

These were Hbs heroes at the time...can't imagine they weren't the favourites of most

Simkin911
22-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Andy Watson - I remember him scoring a wonderful goal at Tannadice. Cut in from left hand side and curled a right footer into the top corner! John Collins also scored that day if my memory serves me correct.

heretoday
22-02-2014, 11:26 AM
I liked Tony Rougier. Sorry if already mentioned. He was unpredictable.

paul_hfc3
22-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Lewis Stevenson

Vaz Te

Anderson (Goal Keeper)

hibby6270
22-02-2014, 01:36 PM
John Rankin - more reliable than he was given credit for.

Tony Rougier - always predictably unpredictable

judas
22-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Andy Watson - I remember him scoring a wonderful goal at Tannadice. Cut in from left hand side and curled a right footer into the top corner! John Collins also scored that day if my memory serves me correct.

Andy Watson was unfairly targeted from the 1st minute of his career at hibs. Movement was great and always available for a pass.

Mark79
22-02-2014, 07:35 PM
My father in law really rated jimmy scott.

Northernhibee
22-02-2014, 07:52 PM
My father in law really rated jimmy scott.

Being honest I think he was good too. Surprised how poorly he's regarded with some, I'd not have let him go personally.

GreenOnions
23-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Gary Caldwell - I always laughed when I read on here week after week all how so many thought Caldwell was rubbish. I wonder if any of those posters have maybe amended their opinion of him after seeing some of the defences we've had since he left. First pick and sometimes captain for Hibs, Celtic and Scotland under Tony Mowbray, Gordon Strachan, Alex McLeish, Walter Smith and others. Also a regular in the English Premier League and Championship. I wonder why all these excellent managers and coaches rated him so highly when Hibs fans seemed to wish him gone. The treatment he received from a significant number of Hibs fans was an embarassment. F*&%'s sake - many Hibees habitually used the epithet "Calamity" before they wrote his name - and that was when he played FOR us :bitchy:

edwards
23-02-2014, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=GreenOnions;3914240]Gary Caldwell - I always laughed when I read on here week after week all how so many thought Caldwell was rubbish. I wonder if any of those posters have maybe amended their opinion of him after seeing some of the defences we've had since he left. First pick and sometimes captain for Hibs, Celtic and Scotland under Tony Mowbray, Gordon Strachan, Alex McLeish, Walter Smith and others. Also a regular in the English Premier League and Championship. I wonder why all these excellent managers and coaches rated him so highly when Hibs fans seemed to wish him gone. The treatment he received from a significant number of Hibs fans was an embarassment. F*&

Sorry but i was one of they people although I thought Caldwell was a fair player he lost us Celtic and Scotland goals and you could always depend on him to have a mare from time to time. Hibs supporters weren't the only one's who wanted him gone, once you got past him there was no recovery. :agree:

edwards
23-02-2014, 11:37 AM
As I am a tad older I will go for Cilla [ Jim Black ] who was paert of one of the best Hibs defences I have seen Brownlee, Blackley, Black, Schaedler. :wink:

heidtheba
23-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Brian Hamilton - McGinlay replaced him and was better...but I felt we lost shape that season (94/95 IIRC)
David Farrell - always gave his all
Danny Lennon - first time I saw him against Aberdeen at home I thought he was amazing (!)
Paul Lovering - Loved his attitude
Paul Hartley - Thought he was brilliant - gutted we let him go...

Other football players?

Me - I like me a lot. Everyone else thinks I play football like a small one legged penguin. Ah well.

Jonnyboy
23-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Gary Caldwell - I always laughed when I read on here week after week all how so many thought Caldwell was rubbish. I wonder if any of those posters have maybe amended their opinion of him after seeing some of the defences we've had since he left. First pick and sometimes captain for Hibs, Celtic and Scotland under Tony Mowbray, Gordon Strachan, Alex McLeish, Walter Smith and others. Also a regular in the English Premier League and Championship. I wonder why all these excellent managers and coaches rated him so highly when Hibs fans seemed to wish him gone. The treatment he received from a significant number of Hibs fans was an embarassment. F*&%'s sake - many Hibees habitually used the epithet "Calamity" before they wrote his name - and that was when he played FOR us :bitchy:

In the interests of accuracy it was actually Captain Calamity :greengrin

I liked Caldwell though

Here's one from the past = Hugh Hamill

Mikey09
24-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Paul holsgrove?? Was that his name?? I thought he was decent.... And wee Chris Jackson, loved him!!!

PerfectlyFranck
24-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Steven Thicot - Wrongly played.

I would have left it at that..

Top quality stuff… :rotflmao:

Walter
24-02-2014, 01:49 PM
I really liked Peter Guggi and never understood how he hardly played and then vanished

sauzee=legend
24-02-2014, 02:50 PM
1 player who I think was a 7/8 out of 10 every week with sir sauzee next to him - Paul Fenwick.

Robinho08
24-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Joe Keenan

Scouse Hibee
24-02-2014, 06:27 PM
Steven Tweed

nribs
24-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Justin Skinner

Rivers Cuomo
24-02-2014, 10:31 PM
I really liked Peter Guggi and never understood how he hardly played and then vanished

Snap - people go on about some sort of scandal?