PDA

View Full Version : NHC Scotland Squad to Face Poland

Sylar
19-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Goalkeepers: Matt Gilks (Blackpool), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Allan McGregor (Hull City)
Defenders: Phil Bardsley (Sunderland), Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town), Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Andrew Robertson (Dundee United), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)
Midfielders: Charlie Adam (Stoke City), Ikechi Anya (Watford), Barry Bannan (Crystal Palace), Scott Brown (Celtic), Chris Burke (Birmingham City), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), James Forrest (Celtic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic), Robert Snodgrass (Norwich City)
Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Sunderland), Ross McCormack (Leeds United), Steven Naismith (Everton)

Strong looking squad IMO. Good to see Darren Fletcher back in the fray.

archiebald
19-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Fletcher has hardly kicked a ball

Billy McKirdy
19-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Would have given Hanlon a shout this time.

Spike Mandela
19-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Only 3 forwards:confused:

PHEONIXHIBS
19-02-2014, 12:09 PM
No rhodes is dissapointing unless he is injured ?

NadeAteMyLunch!
19-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Only 4 players currently playing in Scotland. Certainly emphasises the migration South!

Paisley Hibby
19-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Goalkeepers: Matt Gilks (Blackpool), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Allan McGregor (Hull City)
Defenders: Phil Bardsley (Sunderland), Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town), Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Andrew Robertson (Dundee United), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)
Midfielders: Charlie Adam (Stoke City), Ikechi Anya (Watford), Barry Bannan (Crystal Palace), Scott Brown (Celtic), Chris Burke (Birmingham City), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), James Forrest (Celtic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic), Robert Snodgrass (Norwich City)
Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Sunderland), Ross McCormack (Leeds United), Steven Naismith (Everton)

Strong looking squad IMO. Good to see Darren Fletcher back in the fray.

With heading "Scotland squad" there was probably no need for the NHC as that kind of goes without saying these days :greengrin

Surprised not to see Griffiths included if only because just being a sellick player is normally enough for a player to get selected :rolleyes:

easty
19-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Hutton is a good player, and he's been good for Scotland of late, but how much longer can we justify calling someone up who is nowhere near getting a first team game of football?

Sylar
19-02-2014, 12:33 PM

Snodgrass can also play as a forward, so 4 in reality.

hfc rd
19-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Think Stevie May should have been called up.

Aaron
19-02-2014, 12:44 PM

That's what I thought when I seen the squad list also. 3 keepers and 3 forwards. :confused:

Brightside
19-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Paul was very close to a call up.

NYHibby
19-02-2014, 12:49 PM
That's what I thought when I seen the squad list also. 3 keepers and 3 forwards. :confused:

One keeper on at a time, one striker on at a time?

green.and.white
19-02-2014, 01:00 PM
No Griffiths? Joining Celtic is a ticket into the Scotland Squad so that's a surprise

Boyle89
19-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Hutton is a good player, and he's been good for Scotland of late, but how much longer can we justify calling someone up who is nowhere near getting a first team game of football?

This! Any other country would be questioning this move. He can't be match fit.

Jones28
19-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Is it standard practice to call up 10 midfielders, 3 goalkeepers and only 3 strikers?

CorrieHibs
19-02-2014, 01:49 PM
No Griffiths? Joining Celtic is a ticket into the Scotland Squad so that's a surprise

Can't make it too obvious....he'll be in the next one!

jdships
19-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Think Stevie May should have been called up.

:agree:
Surely would have been a good match to see what the lad can do at a higher level :rolleyes:
Still there is bound to be a rash of call offs nearer the game :greengrin

Not one player from " Hunbrox" WOW !!!!!!!!!
Again there is plenty time when the call offs start coming in :wink:

Leighonel
19-02-2014, 02:27 PM

I would hope so. Out of the defenders in the squad he could replace greer, he was on the bench against hull on monday.

Aaron
19-02-2014, 02:33 PM
One keeper on at a time, one striker on at a time?

How often do we see goalkeepers get subbed in comparison to strikers getting subbed?
How many strikers can we play with in comparison to goal keepers?
How often do keepers get sent off or pick up bookings in comparison to strikers?
How often do strikers pick up an injury in comparison to goal keepers?

I think you get my point. 3 strikers and 3 goalkeepers to me is a bit bizarre IMHO but I trust GS knows what he is doing.

Billy Whizz
19-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Scotland under 21's play Hungary the same evening.
I wonder if any of our young boys will be in the pool

Nevi_SOL
19-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Scotland under 21's play Hungary the same evening.
I wonder if any of our young boys will be in the pool

I reckon forster and handling and stanton imo is a dead cert

frazeHFC
19-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Aberdeen fans greeting that Langfield, Reynolds and that cheat Pawlett haven't been called up. If any of those 3 were anywhere near our squad i'd be worried.

Playing well but never International level.

TheFamous1875
19-02-2014, 04:36 PM

How'd you know that? Has it been in the press?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hfc rd
19-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Aberdeen fans greeting that Langfield, Reynolds and that cheat Pawlett haven't been called up. If any of those 3 were anywhere near our squad i'd be worried.

I'd take Reynolds at Hibs but certainly not Langfield and Pawlett.

lumbo_hfc
19-02-2014, 07:37 PM

Playing well but never International level. i would have reynolds in before a few of they centre halfs that have been picked!!

I'd take Reynolds at Hibs but certainly not Langfield and Pawlett. reynolds would be our first choice centre back, pawlett would walk into our first team no problem and theres not much between langfield and williams as both are prone to the odd mistake

R'Albin
19-02-2014, 07:45 PM

Aberdeen fans have a tendency to greet when their players aren't in the Scotland squad, even when they're pish. However I agree that Reynolds is probably worth a call-up. Pawlett's a good player, but which midfielder in that side would they take out for him? And Langfield getting a call-up is laughable, he's nowhere near the quality of the other three keepers.

Matty_Jack04
19-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Aberdeen fans have a tendency to greet when their players aren't in the Scotland squad, even when they're pish. However I agree that Reynolds is probably worth a call-up. Pawlett's a good player, but which midfielder in that side would they take out for him? And Langfield getting a call-up is laughable, he's nowhere near the quality of the other three keepers.

I understand what your saying but I'm always of the thought that with friendlies we should be looking to see what else we have/give younger players the opportunity to be part of the squad e.g we know what we're getting with snodgrass, his club are struggling give him a rest and call up either Pawlett or McKay-Steven, same can be said with Darren fletcher we can surely let him get back in the swing of club football and get him back in the fold closer to the qualifiers kicking off, I think players that are doing well should be rewarded with a call up it'll give them a boost their clubs a boost and slightly raise the profile of the league to have young players making the full squad and hopefully holding there own

Ryan69
19-02-2014, 08:40 PM

Is he not still on loan at Mallorca?

Bristolhibby
19-02-2014, 08:44 PM
I understand what your saying but I'm always of the thought that with friendlies we should be looking to see what else we have/give younger players the opportunity to be part of the squad e.g we know what we're getting with snodgrass, his club are struggling give him a rest and call up either Pawlett or McKay-Steven, same can be said with Darren fletcher we can surely let him get back in the swing of club football and get him back in the fold closer to the qualifiers kicking off, I think players that are doing well should be rewarded with a call up it'll give them a boost their clubs a boost and slightly raise the profile of the league to have young players making the full squad and hopefully holding there own

Word round the campfire is that the May game will be the experimental/newbie team.

J

R'Albin
19-02-2014, 08:48 PM

Yeah I do sort of agree with that, and I'm perhaps being a little hypocritical as that was my argument with Griffiths when Kenny Miller was getting in the starting 11 over him. I think Fletcher is the only one I think could be taken out for Pawlett, and maybe if I took my rose-tinted Fletcher spectacles off (the same ones that, at times, dismiss everything Aberdeen as ***** :greengrin) and I'd chuck him in there.

If Fletch is intending to still planning be around the Scotland squad by next Euros then I think this is an good decision, as getting him involved in football and in the squad again can only be a good thing. He was one of the best defensive midfielders in the world at one point, and if he can find a form anywhere near that again for 2016 he could be a major asset.

Speedy
20-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Marshall
Hutton Martin Hanley Bardsley
Anya Brown Fletcher Morrison
Naismith Fletcher

Sir David Gray
20-02-2014, 12:31 AM
Is he not still on loan at Mallorca?

Nope, left them at the end of last season.

He's back at Aston Villa now and hasn't played a single game for them in almost two years.

bigwheel
20-02-2014, 09:26 AM
I'd take Reynolds at Hibs but certainly not Langfield and Pawlett.

Pawlett has been immense this season...turning in to a real talent

He would be a first pick in our side just now

Billy Whizz
20-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Marshall
Hutton Martin Hanley Bardsley
Anya Brown Fletcher Morrison
Naismith Fletcher

Still weak in central defense. Berra still in the squad!!!!!

brian6-2
20-02-2014, 09:50 AM
Still weak in central defense. Berra still in the squad!!!!!

have you watched scotland recently? hanley and martin have been excellent at centre half.

Billy Whizz
20-02-2014, 10:37 AM
have you watched scotland recently? hanley and martin have been excellent at centre half.

Yes, and i'm a SSC member who goes to the games. Maybe in the short term, but don't think their top notch. Think its an area that we've been weak in for a number of years