PDA

View Full Version : First of the financially-doped teams to mug us in a final

number9dream
19-02-2014, 09:56 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26033387

That was a bloody good Livi side (which they couldn't afford) - Fernandez, McNamee, Rubio, McAllister, big Marvin etc.

I had a seat right next to the trophy presentation area that day and made the mistake of thinking I was in the perfect spot for the post-match celebrations...:boo hoo:

SaulGoodman
19-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Beat Celtic in the quarters, beat Rangers in the Semi. Beat by Livingston in the final, **** sake Hibs

Keith_M
19-02-2014, 10:29 AM
TBF, Hibs were the ones that mucked it up. We were awful that day and ruined the day out of the biggest Hibs support I've ever seen

Hibercelona
19-02-2014, 10:33 AM
We do other teams a favour by knocking out the tough competition...

cleanyman
19-02-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm sure we started that dumpling Reid.

Livingston were a strong side to be fair, still a very disappointing day for me.

Killiehibbie
19-02-2014, 10:49 AM
TBF, Hibs were the ones that mucked it up. We were awful that day and ruined the day out of the biggest Hibs support I've ever seen
Quite a few making our way out of their end just before the final whistle.

Cameron1875
19-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Worst day I've experienced supporting Hibs.

Argylehibby
19-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Beat Celtic in the quarters, beat Rangers in the Semi. Beat by Livingston in the final, **** sake Hibs

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe no team has beaten both halves of the old firm on route to a final and won the trophy. Either League cup or Scottish cup.

NOLA
19-02-2014, 11:14 AM
they had a really experienced team that day and we were truly awful, the 1 cup final i still remember but wish i couldnt :boo hoo:

poolman
19-02-2014, 11:17 AM
IIRC Scotty Broon missed a great chance when it was still 0-0

Viva_Palmeiras
19-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Anyone that saw the faces as the team came off the bus would have sensed what was about to come. Weight of expectation too much on youngish shoulders. Set these boys up for later life tho.

KeithTheHibby
19-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Davie Hay totally won the battle of the tactics against Williamson by a country mile.

Never have I seen a season end so abruptly after that defeat.

ALF TUPPER
19-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Remember reading a quote recently from Davie Hay about how his Coaches were able to watch Hibs training before the Final and noted set pieces, tactics etc...
Seems so many people were wandering about unchallenged it was easy in those days to mix. They knew it - so Davie Hay sent his guys in to spy and we let them.
No wonder we lost. Another final disaster. As a previous contributor said - it was all our making.

Biggie
19-02-2014, 11:45 AM
twas my 'kin birthday that day and I was really looking forward to a great day all round......sent home to think again...wasnt a great birthday meal I can tell you...bloody hibs.

Tricla
19-02-2014, 11:56 AM

Were you not at the 5-1 game?

flash
19-02-2014, 12:10 PM

Not sure it even makes my Top 10.

God Petrie
19-02-2014, 12:18 PM

I didn't mind 5-1 to be honest. Hearts were obviously financially doping. The 4-0 semi final was worse for me as we could have destroyed them if we hadn't been decimated by injuries.

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-02-2014, 12:29 PM

This..

And it scunnered me so much I didn't go back, a ludicrous result and so typical of us.

Kato
19-02-2014, 12:45 PM
We beat Celtic and Rangers against the odds with a very young team. Livi's side that season was packed with experience and skill (which they couldn't afford) so I went to Hampden thinking we'd be very lucky to buck the odds again and beat them - especially as we'd struggled against them that season.

Disappointed we didn't win but in truth I didn't expect us to.

Boyle89
19-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Anyone that saw the faces as the team came off the bus would have sensed what was about to come. Weight of expectation too much on youngish shoulders. Set these boys up for later life tho.
Would say the exact same for the 2012 final. When the bus went past they all looked like they were bricking it. We were cheering and waving but they looked as if they were about to break down and cry with nerves.

Judas Iscariot
19-02-2014, 01:21 PM

Contrary to yam belief, that was nowhere near my worst supporting Hibs day

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-02-2014, 01:29 PM

Was it 40k hibs?

lord bunberry
19-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Remember reading a quote recently from Davie Hay about how his Coaches were able to watch Hibs training before the Final and noted set pieces, tactics etc...
Seems so many people were wandering about unchallenged it was easy in those days to mix. They knew it - so Davie Hay sent his guys in to spy and we let them.
No wonder we lost. Another final disaster. As a previous contributor said - it was all our making.
It was quite hard to stop people spying on us when we were training back then as we trained on public parks.

Dashing Bob S
19-02-2014, 01:52 PM
I didn't mind 5-1 to be honest. Hearts were obviously financially doping. The 4-0 semi final was worse for me as we could have destroyed them if we hadn't been decimated by injuries.

Can't say I didn't mind 5-1 but agree that Livvy and 0-4 were more surprisingly hurtful. I felt in 0-4, from the debacle about Murrayfield discussed as a venue, the injury situ used as an excuse, the poor support and the Zibi disaster, we strangely capitulated as a club to Hearts at that event.

5-1 you felt that Hearts were digging their own graves, and whatever happened bleak consequences were about to follow for them.

CraigHibee
19-02-2014, 01:58 PM
it was a sore one to take, i think the vast majority of us were expecting us to lift the cup that day

danhibees1875
19-02-2014, 02:16 PM

We had a far inferior squad and Livingstone had the upper hand on us all season (bar one game I believe).

I think people forget that when they look back on that day.

And yes, livi cheated to get to where they were.

SteveHFC
19-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Anyone remember the pre-match party on the .net buses ;-)

lyonhibs
19-02-2014, 02:30 PM

:agree::agree:

In terms of hurt and disappointment, this is still the big one for me. Unbelievable. Walked back into central Glasgow with a mate, not 1 word was spoken.

After the 5-1, I was hurting, but not on the same scale.

flash
19-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Enjoying the pretence that 5-1 wasn't the worst ever and I understand why people are doing this.

But it was.

givescotlandfreedom
19-02-2014, 03:33 PM
The final against Hearts was a sore one but now the dust has settled and it's become clear they relied on cheating (even against Auchinleck Talbot and St Johnstone) the whole achievement of theirs feels very tainted. I could get loads of credit cards and bank loans and buy a Porsche and brag to everyone about it but when I can't realistically make the payments for it and have to live in a Box with a shiny new car outside but still brag about it I'll still look like a tit and would fool nobody.

Craig_in_Prague
19-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Was a horrible day, hadnt long moved here and it cost more than a months wages at the time for travel and match day etc.... It was not a shock we lost but thought our huge support may have turned it in our favour..oh how wrong was I :(

ALF TUPPER
19-02-2014, 05:02 PM
It was quite hard to stop people spying on us when we were training back then as we trained on public parks.

Final training session at ER. Sorry, should have made that clearer.

The Hibee Harp
19-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Enjoying the pretence that 5-1 wasn't the worst ever and I understand why people are doing this.

But it was.

I would disagree, Flash. I never thought we would win on 2012. Hearts had a far stronger side and had already knocked out favourites Celtic while we had limped along and only ended relegation fears two weeks before the big game.

Against Livi, rightly or wrongly, a huge chunk of the Hibs support expected to win. The shock and disappointment from 2004 was harder to take than 2012 for me.

mjhibby
19-02-2014, 05:15 PM
We beat Celtic and Rangers against the odds with a very young team. Livi's side that season was packed with experience and skill (which they couldn't afford) so I went to Hampden thinking we'd be very lucky to buck the odds again and beat them - especially as we'd struggled against them that season.

Disappointed we didn't win but in truth I didn't expect us to.

Iirc we had loads of injuries that day and had Caldwell in midfield in the first half. Didn't we eventually finish above them in the league that season once they lost players they couldn't afford.if they could make a rule that any team that go into admin loses any trophy they won that season it might go some way to stop this nonsense. Still annoys me to this day that we were beaten by a team that couldn't afford the wages they were paying.

snooky
19-02-2014, 05:34 PM
The Livi final was an odd affair and here's how I remember it.
There was a great atmosphere right up to the kick off.
As soon as the game started there was a feeling of doom spread around 3/4 of the stadium.
It was as if we knew we were going to be beaten.
IIRC, Livi had beaten us twice in the league so it wasn't as if we should have expected to win.
The Dobster came on near the end and injected a wee bit of life into what was a tame performance by the rest of the players.
Too little too late.
Heard there was a good film on that day. Pity we all missed it.

eastterrace
19-02-2014, 05:46 PM
yes i felt worse on that day than the 5-1 game also felt terrible after the 4-0 semi against them as that edjit zibbi destroyed us that day never forgive him for that day.

Moon unit
19-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Time to move on!!!.....we know what cheating Bar stewards they are but Sh*t happened,don't give them ammunition,.....take it ..and look forward to pumping them before there journey into the Abyss!!!

Kato
19-02-2014, 06:00 PM
. It was not a shock we lost but thought our huge support may have turned it in our favour..oh how wrong was I :(

If Brown's header had gone in the place would have went mental and there would have been a good chance Livi would have wilted. Very large Hibs crowd that day, perhaps the biggest I've been in. Seriously, out of 46,000 how many Livi fans were there?

calamitus
19-02-2014, 06:13 PM
The final against Hearts was a sore one but now the dust has settled and it's become clear they relied on cheating (even against Auchinleck Talbot and St Johnstone) the whole achievement of theirs feels very tainted. I could get loads of credit cards and bank loans and buy a Porsche and brag to everyone about it but when I can't realistically make the payments for it and have to live in a Box with a shiny new car outside but still brag about it I'll still look like a tit and would fool nobody.

I think you'll find the Porsche was repossessed pretty sharpish. So maybe it would just be a framed photo of a Porsche sitting on top of their box? :-D

gav71
19-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Would you not say we had a bigger support in the final in 91?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kato
19-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Would you not say we had a bigger support in the final in 91?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5000 more people at the 2004 final than in 1991. Way more Dunfermline fans than Livi fans at the respective away ends. (Many Hibs fans in the away ends at both games as well.)

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-02-2014, 07:21 PM
5000 more people at the 2004 final than in 1991. Way more Dunfermline fans than Livi fans at the respective away ends. (Many Hibs fans in the away ends at both games as well.)

How many hibbies at the Livi game?

clerriehibs
19-02-2014, 07:28 PM

Also (apparently) loads of Hibs fans locked out of '91 ... so not technically 'there' I suppose. But I'm with you, reckon there were way more Hibs fans in 2004.

Judas Iscariot
19-02-2014, 07:36 PM

But it was.

Not for me

Nowhere near it

emerald green
19-02-2014, 07:43 PM
I think most Hibs fans thought we would beat Livi in that final because we weren't playing either Celtic or Rangers. The result was typical Hibs and a terrible sickener. It brought back memories of my dad telling me about seeing Hibs going into the League Cup final of 1950/51 as red hot favourites against Motherwell and losing 3 nil. Hibs were champions that same season.

Ringothedog
19-02-2014, 07:48 PM

But it was.

I can tell you it was no way the worst ever for me. My worst ever was the 3rd game in the 1979 trilogy. I have never felt so bad after a game and it still hurts to this day. That was our best ever chance to win that trophy.:boo hoo:

nonshinyfinish
19-02-2014, 07:51 PM
How many hibbies at the Livi game?

About 37,000 tickets sold for our end IIRC.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-02-2014, 08:01 PM
About 37,000 tickets sold for our end IIRC.

Phenomenal support that! Glad I wasn't there to whitness the game though (the result).

The Sea-gull
19-02-2014, 08:18 PM
40k of hibs fans there. The trouble is, when you get a crowd like that a fair few of them ken next to nowt about football so probably had never heard of Livi thus assumed they were crap and we would win. Those of us who followed that team knew that Livi had largely been above us for the best part of two years, had beaten us twice that season and we had a talented but young and inconsistent group of players compared to their more experienced core.

Sir David Gray
20-02-2014, 12:23 AM

But it was.

:agree: The Livingston game was almost 10 years ago and my memory of that game isn't great but the 2012 Scottish Cup final was one of the worst days of my life.

It took me around a week to even begin to get over it.

Obviously, looking at the bigger picture, that day has hurt them much more than it's hurt us but that was the day from hell as far as I'm concerned.

gorgie greens
20-02-2014, 06:18 AM

as much as it was the usual kick in the teeth when everyone and there dog were at the game,the final against the yam cheats as the worst for me,only good thing was i had checked out of my hotel in George st and got as far down the M6 as i could before the mutants started gathering

Stonewall
20-02-2014, 07:29 AM
I can tell you it was no way the worst ever for me. My worst ever was the 3rd game in the 1979 trilogy. I have never felt so bad after a game and it still hurts to this day. That was our best ever chance to win that trophy.:boo hoo:

Denied by the worst refereeing decision I have ever seen in the first game.

clerriehibs
20-02-2014, 07:46 AM
:agree: The Livingston game was almost 10 years ago and my memory of that game isn't great but the 2012 Scottish Cup final was one of the worst days of my life.

It took me around a week to even begin to get over it.

Obviously, looking at the bigger picture, that day has hurt them much more than it's hurt us but that was the day from hell as far as I'm concerned.

Not for me. I was over the 2012 result before I was back on the bus. It's in the records as 5-1 loss, but losing to a team of cheats, aided and abetted by a cheating ref doesn't feature on my moral compass ... I, and many on my bus, was laughing about the ridiculousness of it along the M8.

Worse? Losing games where we should win, but don't; eg the Dunfermline semi. That still bugs me big time. Ross County at ER in the scottish cup a few years ago. Raith Rovers the other week.

bigwheel
20-02-2014, 08:22 AM
I can honestly say I felt much lower and was more affected by this Livi defeat than any other final defeats... it was such a magnificent support that day....

greenpaper55
20-02-2014, 08:28 AM
Look what has happened to Livi since though, i wonder if the same scenario will befall the yams and they will be in the wilderness for years ?.

Speedy
20-02-2014, 08:54 AM

But it was.

I disagree. They were a far better team and I expected to lose.

5-1 was a bit of a humping but we were still in it until that numpty gave a penalty that was so clearly outside the box that I could see it the back of the east stand. We crumbled after that.

We will never know what might have been if it wasn't a penalty (almost certainly would've lost) but for those reasons I really wasn't that bothered.

Kato
20-02-2014, 09:06 AM

Yup. Cheated that day too.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-02-2014, 09:12 AM

But it was.

I distinctly remember writing off the game at the point with the non-penalty and sending off. It killed it as a contest and a believe we were in it til then.

Even the yams were silent on it at first.

What transpired after the event IMO exacerbated things beyond what they were - the players attitude, Pats admission he effectively underestimated it, the Yams' Hibee baiting going into overdrive.

Keith_M
20-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Quite a few making our way out of their end just before the final whistle.

You as well? I was in a group of four Hibbies in the Livi end next to the segregation area. That part quite quickly filled up with other Hibs fans that had bought seats in other parts of the West Stand. The Polis knew who we were but said it was OK, as long as we all kept our mouths shut.

superfurryhibby
20-02-2014, 11:03 AM

But it was.

Sadly, have to agree with you. Nothing comes close in terms of the pain of that day. Something of my love for Hibs died in me that day. I've kept going back and always will, but never will I invest so much emotionally (well until we actually win the ****ing thing).

The Livi final was a mixture of heightened expectation, massive crowd and the sense that they were'nt as good as us. The league positions should have maybe tempered our sense of entitlement a little. I was gutted, but there has been much, much worse since

Gatecrasher
20-02-2014, 11:33 AM
it was a sore one to take, i think the vast majority of us were expecting us to lift the cup that day

I don't get why people thought it was a sure thing, sure it was a good chance to win a trophey, however I'm sure we hadn't beat Livingston that season prior to the Final.

Biggie
20-02-2014, 11:47 AM

agree, Colin Campbell was a kick away from immortality......Peter Mccloy just pulling the legs away from him is something I think about quite a bit when it comes around to Scottish cup time......could have blown that hoodoo once and for all...35 years ago !!

Dashing Bob S
20-02-2014, 12:47 PM
I don't get why people thought it was a sure thing, sure it was a good chance to win a trophey, however I'm sure we hadn't beat Livingston that season prior to the Final.

Agreed. I expected to lose, but expected a fighting performance. We never turned up.

superfurryhibby
20-02-2014, 01:09 PM
agree, Colin Campbell was a kick away from immortality......Peter Mccloy just pulling the legs away from him is something I think about quite a bit when it comes around to Scottish cup time......could have blown that hoodoo once and for all...35 years ago !!

Years later I played directly against Colin and conceded a very soft penalty. After the game I mentioned this to him and said that It didnae quite make up for Hampden in 79. Colin knew exactly what I was referring to and had a wee smile at it. Travesty of a decision (both of them)!

Killiehibbie
20-02-2014, 02:25 PM
You as well? I was in a group of four Hibbies in the Livi end next to the segregation area. That part quite quickly filled up with other Hibs fans that had bought seats in other parts of the West Stand. The Polis knew who we were but said it was OK, as long as we all kept our mouths shut.I was right behind the goals half way up and my row was nearly all Hibbies.

emerald green
20-02-2014, 06:37 PM

Hibs were screwed over by another bent referee in that cup final too. A clear cut penalty not given. If it had been at the other end, it would have been given. Was it Bobby Davidson?