PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Journalism - The Daily Record Online Edition

NeilOrrSquareBa
17-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Report on our game starts with

"David McCarthy was at Victoria Park..." Then shows a pic with the byline "Sam Stanton is mobbed by his team mates after his stunning free kick..."
In the Pic Laim Craig is shown ruffling Sammy's heid. Now maybe winning was all too much for me but I'm certain Liam Craig was suspended for this game. Did he sneak on when Sammy scored?
Baffled by the ineptitude of the DR. Their job is to report, accuracy is a basic requirement yet we frequently see such levels of ineptitude.
Take their license away!
:confused::grr:

PatHead
17-02-2014, 12:55 PM

"David McCarthy was at Victoria Park..." Then shows a pic with the byline "Sam Stanton is mobbed by his team mates after his stunning free kick..."
In the Pic Laim Craig is shown ruffling Sammy's heid. Now maybe winning was all too much for me but I'm certain Liam Craig was suspended for this game. Did he sneak on when Sammy scored?
Baffled by the ineptitude of the DR. Their job is to report, accuracy is a basic requirement yet we frequently see such levels of ineptitude.
Take their license away!

or just don't read it................

Weststandwanab
17-02-2014, 01:56 PM
or just don't read it................ I second that.

Phil D. Rolls
17-02-2014, 02:13 PM

Take their license away!

Unless they have a picture of a foreign star, that is new to Scottish football, in a kilt, soon, I'm cancelling my subscription.

emerald green
17-02-2014, 02:21 PM

Take their license away!

The Daily Ranger is not interested in any club other than the new Govan outfit. What a rag. :agree:

neilmartinrocks
17-02-2014, 02:57 PM
It's as much a "newspaper" as the Dandy or the Beano.

Winston Ingram
17-02-2014, 04:10 PM

Take their license away!

Baffled? I'd be baffled if they got anything right.

The stories they and 'facts' they were making up during the Ranger liquidation debacle were superb

Saorsa
17-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Best way tae avoid sloppy 'journalism' is tae avoid reading sloppy comics.

IWasThere2016
17-02-2014, 06:21 PM
It's a rag..

Hibercelona
17-02-2014, 06:28 PM
It was a game involving 2 non-OF clubs. What did you expect? Accuracy?

Hibercelona
17-02-2014, 06:30 PM

Complete insult to the Beano and the Dandy. They're both far closer to reality.

Geo_1875
17-02-2014, 06:40 PM
David McCarthy probably was at Victoria Park when Hibs were playing Ross County at Easter Road.

Wheat Hound
17-02-2014, 06:42 PM
What is the Hibee newspaper of choice then? Scotsman, Times, Sun, Herald? Personally I flit between these 4 depending on how much time / brain power I have at the time. Tired, hungover and struggling for time usually means the currant.

killie-hibby
17-02-2014, 07:05 PM

In the 1980's a research paper from Dundee university indicated a higher standard of reading ability was required to read the Beano and Dandy than to read the Daily Record. I would think the difference in reading standards required is even greater nowadays.

Jonnyboy
17-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Seeing the words "Daily Record" and "Journalism" in the same sentence is simply mind boggling :greengrin

SunshineOnLeith
17-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Reading one of the red tops and then complaining about the quality of journalism is like licking the pavement and then complaining it doesn't taste very good.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Is that rag not got a reading age of about 5 years? Being serious. Sure I've heard that before. McCarthy was probably too busy planning more pathetic pieces about the poor Hearts youngsters than worrying about technicalities like, getting the stadium correct and finding a picture from the game that he was supposed to be at

beensaidbefore
18-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Reading one of the red tops and then complaining about the quality of journalism is like licking the pavement and then complaining it doesn't taste very good.

Lol, couln't have put it better myself.

I work in a paper shop, and I have seen me read 'women's' magazines before reading the DR. Utter garbage.

nonshinyfinish
18-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Is that rag not got a reading age of about 5 years? Being serious. Sure I've heard that before. McCarthy was probably too busy planning more pathetic pieces about the poor Hearts youngsters than worrying about technicalities like, getting the stadium correct and finding a picture from the game that he was supposed to be at

I'd imagine these things would be done by a sub-editor rather than the reporter. Still sloppy.

monktonharp
18-02-2014, 10:50 PM
:tee hee:

monktonharp
18-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Lol, couln't have put it better myself.

I work in a paper shop, and I have seen me read 'women's' magazines before reading the DR. Utter garbage.womans own, can be a good read on a wet Tuesday:greengrin

monktonharp
18-02-2014, 10:56 PM
I'd imagine these things would be done by a sub-editor rather than the reporter. Still sloppy. the reporter should be doing a bit of follow up eg: actually reading what he's alleged to have said, and if its incorrect he should be banging on a few doors, saying ..........these tits are making me look rather tittish boss, naw?