PDA

View Full Version : Linfield linked to Fenlon

Don Giovanni
16-02-2014, 10:34 PM
His merits (or otherwise) have been done to death on here but it seems Pat's stock remains high over the Irish Sea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26217066

NAE NOOKIE
17-02-2014, 02:07 AM
The very best of luck to him. Perhaps we should give him a contract to manage the club for the Scottish cup only ... not finals though lol.

Joking aside good luck Pat .... Hibs were just a step too far perhaps.

Leishy1995
17-02-2014, 02:56 AM
Saved Hibs from relegation
2 consecutive cup finals
Improved league position
European football
And as a man manager is credited with Leigh Griffiths' career.

This is what my linfield supporting mate is excited about, that and he's considered to be "going home" if he goes there.

Disclaimer* I wanted Fenlon out.

Gatecrasher
17-02-2014, 06:08 AM
Good luck to him, it didn't quite work out for him here but hope he gets back on track in Ireland.

The Sea-gull
17-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Best of luck to him. Nothing against the man as he always came across well, just wasn't up to managing hibs and should never have been afforded the chance in the first place based on his cv. This sort of job is the level he is at.

edinburghhibee
17-02-2014, 07:42 AM
Good luck pat

HIBERNIAN-0762
17-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Heinous bigoted club, almost worse than the huns if that's possible, good luck Pat.

Jonny1875
17-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Heinous bigoted club, almost worse than the huns if that's possible, good luck Pat.

100%, hope he destroys them.

Groathillgrump
17-02-2014, 10:20 AM
He played for them and was popular there so maybe it's a good match.

I remember reading an article about his time there and the Linfield fans nicknamed him Pat Fenian. :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2014, 10:39 AM
100%, hope he destroys them.

There's a good chance that could happen, but that would be fine because he's a nice bloke. :rolleyes:

AndyM_1875
17-02-2014, 11:09 AM

Linfield have signed loads of Catholic players over the years
Their fans have displayed some atrocious behaviour though and still leave a lot to be desired.

However bring it into context, what Linfield and all the clubs in Northern Ireland went through during the Troubles is a different world from the lip service & half baked agenda nonsense served up by the Old Firm's plastic prods/rebels.

If Pat goes to Linfield then best of luck to him. He was a very popular player there and I'm sure he'll do well.

HKhibby
17-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Best of luck to him. Nothing against the man as he always came across well, just wasn't up to managing hibs and should never have been afforded the chance in the first place based on his cv. This sort of job is the level he is at.

Exactly....but you know what i said this on this website when he was appointed hibs manager.....as usual shouted down by people on here that said i didnt know what i was talking about!...who was right?.....2 seasons waisted!, which is just one of the reasons i do not comme on here much now!

McSwanky
17-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Exactly....but you know what i said this on this website when he was appointed hibs manager.....as usual shouted down by people on here that said i didnt know what i was talking about!...who was right?.....2 seasons waisted!, which is just one of the reasons i do not comme on here much now!

Even a stopped clock..... :duck:

P.S. Good luck to Fenlon. Always seemed a genuinely good guy.

Dashing Bob S
17-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Linfield have signed loads of Catholic players over the years
Their fans have displayed some atrocious behaviour though and still leave a lot to be desired.

However bring it into context, what Linfield and all the clubs in Northern Ireland went through during the Troubles is a different world from the lip service & half baked agenda nonsense served up by the Old Firm's plastic prods/rebels.

If Pat goes to Linfield then best of luck to him. He was a very popular player there and I'm sure he'll do well.

I agree with this. Was at a Linfield v Shamrock Rovers Setanta Cup game some years back. I was expecting a mini OF hate fest and it was one of the best atmospheres I've been at for a football game. The fans just ripped the piss out off each other but with a real sense of fun.

The maggots of the OF are filled with drama queens desperate to play out supremacist/paranoid fantasies, like daft children playing war games, in order to give their insignificant loser lives some buzz. They, and Scottish football, could learn from NI in how it has tried hard to combat sectarianism.

CropleyWasGod
17-02-2014, 12:31 PM
I agree with this. Was at a Linfield v Shamrock Rovers Setanta Cup game some years back. I was expecting a mini OF hate fest and it was one of the best atmospheres I've been at for a football game. The fans just ripped the piss out off each other but with a real sense of fun.

The maggots of the OF are filled with drama queens desperate to play out supremacist/paranoid fantasies, like daft children playing war games, in order to give their insignificant loser lives some buzz. They, and Scottish football, could learn from NI in how it has tried hard to combat sectarianism.

:agree: When Ian Paisley and Gerry Adams can sit down and work together, we still have a long way to go.

BS44
17-02-2014, 12:50 PM
He played for them and was popular there so maybe it's a good match.

I remember reading an article about his time there and the Linfield fans nicknamed him Pat Fenian. :rolleyes:

He got the Linfield fans on his side, they stopped calling him Pat Fenian and instead called him Billy Fenlon

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Good luck Pat, Hibs just a step too far perhaps. I hope you get your managerial career back on track in Ireland.

Pretty Boy
17-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Linfield is probably the biggest job in either of the Irish leagues so would be a decent level for him to go back in at.

He tried his best at Hibs, it ultimately wasn't good enough. I wish him no ill and hope he gets a decent job soon.

Hibernia&Alba
17-02-2014, 04:12 PM

The two clubs are the best of friends of course. Linfield have a deeply unpleasant fanbase. Don't do it, Pat.

JohnStephens91
17-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Linfield is probably the biggest job in either of the Irish leagues so would be a decent level for him to go back in at.

He tried his best at Hibs, it ultimately wasn't good enough. I wish him no ill and hope he gets a decent job soon.

I would say that Shamrock Rovers are the biggest job across both Irish leagues, a sizable budget but chronic underachievers. Pat has been linked with that job when it becomes available - or that was the rumour anyway. Hopefully he gets a job which he excels at as he deserves it and hopefully he can learn from the mistakes during his time here. He is a genuinely lovely guy and made the effort to come over for David Paul's funeral.

AndyM_1875
17-02-2014, 06:25 PM
I would say that Shamrock Rovers are the biggest job across both Irish leagues, a sizable budget but chronic underachievers. Pat has been linked with that job when it becomes available - or that was the rumour anyway. Hopefully he gets a job which he excels at as he deserves it and hopefully he can learn from the mistakes during his time here. He is a genuinely lovely guy and made the effort to come over for David Paul's funeral.

Shamrock Rovers or Linfield are both big jobs in Irish football (you'd have to talk to a regular wtcher of Irish/NI football to get an insight as to what one is top) but Pat would do well at either.
He's a very decent man as you say and I for one wish him the very best of luck.

Jonnyboy
17-02-2014, 08:15 PM

A fact for which we are all truly grateful

Eyrie
17-02-2014, 09:42 PM
I wish him well if he gets the job. Whilst his time here wasn't successful, he always treated our club with respect and conducted himself with dignity.

Stantons Angel
17-02-2014, 10:48 PM
He got the Linfield fans on his side, they stopped calling him Pat Fenian and instead called him Billy Fenlon

I was over last year to watch Linfield play Portadown in a League match as i have too young Irish football players as friends.
One plays for Linfield and the other for Portadown. (So i have to sit on the fence with this one.)

I attended the game with the Linfield player's father, who himself is a well known former Irish league player. He must have been telling some friends that i was over to watch the game from Scotland and that i was a Hibs supporter.

Shortly before the game started i was approached by an elderly gentleman and asked how "Billy" was getting on at Hibs?
Billy who is Billy i asked, Billy Fenlon he replies.

He must have seen the puzzled look on my face and explained that Linfield were traditionally a Protestant area team in the Belfast area and when Pat Fenlon signed for them, they just couldn't face calling him Pat/Patrick so they christened him "Billy".

He became a real favorite with the fans and they still talk of him with so much love and pride.

My feelings on the present manager, i cant put into words on here but i hope that Pat gets the job, if he is in the running. He might change a few things at the club for the better. He will be reunited with Ivan for one thing.

If i say its like walking into a smaller Ibrox, then i think you will know what i mean?

All the best Pat and if you become the manager i hope you do well.