PDA

View Full Version : Stefan Scougall & Jamie Murphy

Blocks Biloxi
16-02-2014, 11:20 PM
... both had very good games for Sheff Utd. today to put a decent Forest side out.

It's a real shame someone at Hibs saw fit to get rid of Scougall at such a young age, particularly given the success that the similarly-built Ryan Gauld has had up at Tannadice...

Meanwhile the threat of a move to us was obviously the rocket up the backside that Jamie Murphy needed :greengrin

frazeHFC
16-02-2014, 11:52 PM
Never realised Scougall had been at Hibs, seems a decent player!

Sylar
17-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Scougall was head and shoulders the best player in the Livingston team before he left and IMO, the best player in the Championship.

He'll go on to bigger and better things and it's good to hearing he's having an impact already.

Tynie01011973
17-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Never realised Scougall had been at Hibs, seems a decent player!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-u-21-star-stefan-scougall-1376125

Ditched for being 'too small'

:rolleyes:

hfc rd
17-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Scougall was head and shoulders the best player in the Livingston team before he left and IMO, the best player in the Championship.

He'll go on to bigger and better things and it's good to hearing he's having an impact already.

Definitely looks a player.

Mate at work who is a Sheffield United season ticket holder has been raving about him and couldn't believe it when I told him he was released by Hibs at 16 years old for being too small.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Absolutely crazy decision.

bingo70
17-02-2014, 09:17 PM
I dont believe he was ditched just because of his size, if we had messi on our books we wouldnt have binned him and hes obviously small.

I reckon we probably asked him to work on other aspects of his game, such as his strength and he didnt do it well enough so we had to let him go.

Maybe getting released was the kick up the erse he needed or maybe he just needed a couple of years in the lower divisions to toughen up.

I dint believe for a second though the decision was based on his height.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Considering our great reputation for bringing youngsters through in fairly recent times, someone has made a complete and utter Noel Hunt of that decision!!!

hibbysam
17-02-2014, 09:32 PM
I dont believe he was ditched just because of his size, if we had messi on our books we wouldnt have binned him and hes obviously small.

I reckon we probably asked him to work on other aspects of his game, such as his strength and he didnt do it well enough so we had to let him go.

Maybe getting released was the kick up the erse he needed or maybe he just needed a couple of years in the lower divisions to toughen up.

You will be extremely surprised then. John Park was notorious for letting boys go because they weren't tall enough. My brother played in goals for Hibs until he was in his last year at under 19's along with Fletch etc... And when the contract situation came up Ian Westwater decided he should be kept on only for JP to decide he was 2 inches too small. Boys all over the country get told they are too small and that is a massive part of the problem up here... We would rather have big 6ft cloggers than 5' 2" ball players.

Iggy Pope
17-02-2014, 09:42 PM
You will be extremely surprised then. John Park was notorious for letting boys go because they weren't tall enough. My brother played in goals for Hibs until he was in his last year at under 19's along with Fletch etc... And when the contract situation came up Ian Westwater decided he should be kept on only for JP to decide he was 2 inches too small. Boys all over the country get told they are too small and that is a massive part of the problem up here... We would rather have big 6ft cloggers than 5' 2" ball players.

Would that be about the same time as Jamie McCluskey came through?

hibbysam
17-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Would that be about the same time as Jamie McCluskey came through?

It was, but jinky's mouth and dad got him through.

Iggy Pope
17-02-2014, 09:44 PM
It was, but jinky's mouth and dad got him through.

And a good bit of ability, if not much height.

Jonnyboy
17-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Was Danny Swanson not released for the same reason?

hibbysam
17-02-2014, 09:51 PM

He was indeed!

hfc rd
17-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Personally I don't think height should become a factor in making a decision whether a young player gets offered a contract or not. It should really come down to the players attitude, ability and potential, not how tall the player is. This height thing just sounds absolutely stupid!

southsider
18-02-2014, 03:32 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-u-21-star-stefan-scougall-1376125

Ditched for being 'too small'

:rolleyes:
He was very very small at the time but has developed into a fine player.

bighairyfaeleith
18-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Most folks haven't finished growing at 16, so seems strange to judge them based on something that is not definitive.

TowerHibs
18-02-2014, 03:40 PM
He was indeed!

Danny was never full time it Hibs, i dont even recall he was on trial (maybe wrong there though) - complete nonsense. Signed with Berwick Rangers from Leith Athletic

Granted he may not have been chosen due to his build but danny was too small until under 16s, 17's before he went to berwick. Really by this point, Hibs/hearts/most SPL teams stop looking at many players once they hit under 16's or 17's

Never booted out of hibs though

Thecat23
18-02-2014, 03:50 PM

100% was binned because of his height. He was working hard in training and doing weights but Hibs didn't think he could make that step up. A mistake if you ask me but most clubs all over Scotland have this attitude. Just glad some take a chance. We really need to look at our coughing from a very young age through to first team. Some very good players are thrown to the scrap heap because of being to lightweight or to small.

bingo70
18-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Too lightweight is very different to being too small. I obviously dont know the circumstances surrounding this lad but ill remain sceptical that he was binned just because of his height.

We probably thought the rest of his game wasnt good enough to compensate for his lack of strength/height but again thats different to getting binned just because of his height.

Craig_HFC
18-02-2014, 04:03 PM
I played alongside Stefan for a wee while at Inch Colts when I was younger. He is a year or 2 younger than me so he was playing a an age-group or 2 older than he should have been but his ability meant that he could play with the older team. He was really small but he was a great wee player, not surprised in the slightest that he is doing well down there. Don't think it'll be too long before he gets called up for the national side either.

Great to see as well. Got his first goal for Sheffield United in the league against Shrewsbury last week too.

Would have loved to have seen him play for Hibs.

Ronniekirk
18-02-2014, 04:09 PM

But Mickey weir wasn't released because of being to small so his talent must have shone throogh .depending on who is is in charge of the youth am sure there must be players let go by every team that make it else where

sadtom
18-02-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm sure it does happen that lads are released for being too small/lightweight. I also reckon its possible that its a wee bit of a gentler way of clubs saying they don't think you're good enough.
Maybe a bit of a cop out on behalf of the clubs but maybe easier to take if you are a 16/17 year old. Believing that its your lack of physique and not lack of ability that has cost you your chance. :dunno:

Jonnyboy
18-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Danny was never full time it Hibs, i dont even recall he was on trial (maybe wrong there though) - complete nonsense. Signed with Berwick Rangers from Leith Athletic

Granted he may not have been chosen due to his build but danny was too small until under 16s, 17's before he went to berwick. Really by this point, Hibs/hearts/most SPL teams stop looking at many players once they hit under 16's or 17's

Never booted out of hibs though

I never said he was full time! My understanding is that Hibs had him as a kid but let him go.