PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the next youngster from the under 20's to make the breakthrough?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Thoughs?

BroxburnHibee
16-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Not seen a lot of them but was very impressed by Euan Smith in the derby the other night.

truehibernian
16-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Some haven't been told as yet if their contracts are being renewed - for me, definitely Andy Black and Baptie.

Attacking wise I like the look of young Max Todd but he's a bit to go yet - soft spot for young Dean Horribine too, very industrious and a proper footballer. Mulhall's injury was a huge set back, be good to see how he recovers.

But Andy Black for me has to be a preseason favourite to play right back in the first team. His height might only be the slight drawback, but if TB is good to play Maybury then Black is not much smaller. Great prospect, as is Ryan Baptie on the left side.

Billy Whizz
16-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Thoughs?

Most of the under 20's are quite young, so maybe another year before the breakthrough. Have really high hopes for Jason Cummings to make a serious breakthrough next season. Two really good young fullbacks as well
The young Irish boy Mulhall is a really good player, but got a bad injury

Billy Whizz
16-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Some haven't been told as yet if their contracts are being renewed - for me, definitely Andy Black and Baptie.

Attacking wise I like the look of young Max Todd but he's a bit to go yet - soft spot for young Dean Horribine too, very industrious and a proper footballer. Mulhall's injury was a huge set back, be good to see how he recovers.

But Andy Black for me has to be a preseason favourite to play right back in the first team. His height might only be the slight drawback, but if TB is good to play Maybury then Black is not much smaller. Great prospect, as is Ryan Baptie on the left side.

I feel sorry for Horribine. Why has he never had a chance?
I met Gareth Evans the other day and he said tht he fully expected Horribine to be a Hibs 1st team player by now

Centre Hawf
16-02-2014, 09:24 PM
I think, I'd like to see Black get a shot in pre-season like someone said, Mullhall is the other one but his injury might set him back a little bit.

Billy Whizz
16-02-2014, 09:26 PM
I think, I'd like to see Black get a shot in pre-season like someone said, Mullhall is the other one but his injury might set him back a little bit.

Spoke to Cody at the under 20's derby on Tuesday. He's making good progress and will be 100% fit for the new season

truehibernian
16-02-2014, 09:28 PM
I feel sorry for Horribine. Why has he never had a chance?
I met Gareth Evans the other day and he said tht he fully expected Horribine to be a Hibs 1st team player by now

I believe a few have been told they are not staying - Dean hasn't been informed as yet, I'm hopeful he gets the nod for another year at least. Very tidy and accomplished and has a good dig. For me he made the 19's tick whenever he played and the game ran through him.

Billy Whizz
16-02-2014, 09:31 PM
I believe a few have been told they are not staying - Dean hasn't been informed as yet, I'm hopeful he gets the nod for another year at least. Very tidy and accomplished and has a good dig. For me he made the 19's tick whenever he played and the game ran through him.

He's 21 now, and I think only 1 first team appearance to his name I think

truehibernian
16-02-2014, 09:37 PM

Admittedly it was a nothing game but I thought he did well at Rubgy Park that night and didn't look out of place - him and Harris won us the game last 20 minutes with their drive. Like I say I've a little soft spot for him, good wee player.

Kaff
16-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Admittedly it was a nothing game but I thought he did well at Rubgy Park that night and didn't look out of place - him and Harris won us the game last 20 minutes with their drive. Like I say I've a little soft spot for him, good wee player.

I don't have any real knowledge of the youths but at least TB will give them a game. I'll happily support a team like Saturdays with 6 home grown boys starting, gives you belief that the whole club is working.
Players like Haynes (who made a good impact imo) are all well and good but a whole squad of them can be very disheartening for everyone in the club

Pat 0-7
16-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Not seen a lot of them but was very impressed by Euan Smith in the derby the other night.

Same here :agree:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 10:34 PM

What position is he?

Greencore
17-02-2014, 03:59 AM
Would like to see more of david gold next season

Greencore
17-02-2014, 03:59 AM
What position is he?

Centre forward

DAVE1875
17-02-2014, 06:44 AM
Sorry but here's something that's been bugging me for a few seasons

Andy Black plays right back yet FM always have him as a right winger.... Is this just FM not giving to f***s about Scottish football or is Andy Black one of these players who can play in all positions up the right side but we prefer to play him at right back?

Brightside
17-02-2014, 07:37 AM
I was surprised to see David Gold away on loan again. But hopefully he'll do enough to get into the first team squad when he gets back. A technically gifted midfielder but perhaps too similar to Stanton? Black, Smith, Baptie all look to be potential first team players.

BUT the fans have got to give these young players time to develop even when they get in the first team. Handling was getting dogs abuse on here just 3 weeks after being singled out for praise by Terry. Form will go up and down with these boys so we need to stay off their backs. The same thing is happening with Harris at the moment, and be sure that Sammy Stanton will have the same issues.

Ronniekirk
17-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Once they have reached 21 and not featured Mutch an assessment has to be made about thier potential going forward If not made it by then sometimes the view is taken better to let them go and bring in another younger player with potential Given the whole sale changes he hopes to make over the summer players like Handling will probably get another one year deal as he has first team experience but if not getting a game in first team players like him then need game time in under 20 s and we can't keep everyone Also Terry will have different views on players with an eye to can they fit into the system he wants to play.Given we are fighting for sixth place he may not want to blood any more young players before the split as Watmore is clearly in his plans as must Hayes after Saturday ..

Ronniekirk
17-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Spoke to Cody at the under 20's derby on Tuesday. He's making good progress and will be 100% fit for the new season
Cummings will be ahead of him but he was banging the goals in before injury so if he can get back to that sort of form he will be on the radar is he not even younger than Cummings ?i Thoght Cummings might have gone out on loan as he needs to be back scoring goals to build up that confidence again .Has anyone been looking to see if Caldwell has been scoring on loan as if not then think he won't get another deal

BroxburnHibee
17-02-2014, 09:09 AM
What position is he?

Centre midfield

jdships
17-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Once they have reached 21 and not featured Mutch an assessment has to be made about thier potential going forward If not made it by then sometimes the view is taken better to let them go and bring in another younger player with potential Given the whole sale changes he hopes to make over the summer players like Handling will probably get another one year deal as he has first team experience but if not getting a game in first team players like him then need game time in under 20 s and we can't keep everyone Also Terry will have different views on players with an eye to can they fit into the system he wants to play.Given we are fighting for sixth place he may not want to blood any more young players before the split as Watmore is clearly in his plans as must Hayes after Saturday ..

Good post IMHO !!
The sentence underlined has been the situation for many many years and dozens of lads of that age who hoped for a top flight career have ended up in part time football .
As I have posted before boys for what ever reason , often develop quickly and positively up to 19/20 and then find it difficult to take that extra step to potential " greatness"
Alex Miller often told me if he got five boys of around 16 making it with a club past 21 he was more than happy !
:flag:

Billy Whizz
17-02-2014, 09:45 AM

He came on this season at Rugby Park in a 2-1 win

truehibernian
17-02-2014, 10:55 AM

Andy Black plays right back yet FM always have him as a right winger.... Is this just FM not giving to f***s about Scottish football or is Andy Black one of these players who can play in all positions up the right side but we prefer to play him at right back?

Andy isn't a right winger but you'd easily confuse yourself he is as he's up and down the right flank that much he gets dizzy - the boy has some energy levels and is very quick.

Thing I like about him most is he may be small in stature but he's got huge courage and he never shirks a tackle - good in the air too surprisingly, some spring on him.

For me he'll push into contention maybe end of this season, definitely next.

truehibernian
17-02-2014, 10:57 AM
He came on this season at Rugby Park in a 2-1 win

I was referring to our 3-1 win when Doyler and Robbo scored. Dean and Alex came on that night at 1-1 if I recall correctly.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Black & Baptie.

TheFamous1875
17-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Are people just saying this Black laddie because of our RB situation, or has he actually got great potential? Just asking as I don't think he's even made the bench yet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

oconnors_strip
17-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Are people just saying this Black laddie because of our RB situation, or has he actually got great potential? Just asking as I don't think he's even made the bench yet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Black has great potential! He is a typical full back, likes getting up the wing and attacking the defence and crossing the ball in to the box. Always gets the fans excited when on the ball. He has pace and great awareness, the only thing that he lacks in is height. But he is still young so has time to grow a couple of inches.

Hopefully will be involved in first team at end of season, even just in first team squad to gain experience

Dashing Bob S
17-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Good post IMHO !!
The sentence underlined has been the situation for many many years and dozens of lads of that age who hoped for a top flight career have ended up in part time football .
As I have posted before boys for what ever reason , often develop quickly and positively up to 19/20 and then find it difficult to take that extra step to potential " greatness"
Alex Miller often told me if he got five boys of around 16 making it with a club past 21 he was more than happy !
:flag:

If somebody gets to twenty one without making a substantial breakthrough, the odds are that they won't make it at that level. The kindest thing that can be done is to let them go and find a level they can perform at. Then they at least can get in regular competitive football, with at least the prospect of getting a second chance if they perform regularly at a lower level.

I'm delighted that Butcher seems more positive at giving younger talents game time than his predecessors.

Speedy
17-02-2014, 05:42 PM

I thought there was a FM researcher on here.

On a similar note I managed to get Deek updated to right footed with very good left foot on Fifa12. A guy on the Sunderland forum mentioned he did research for them and Deek having a crap right foot pissed me off that much I asked him to change it.

hfc rd
17-02-2014, 06:27 PM
I was surprised to see David Gold away on loan again. But hopefully he'll do enough to get into the first team squad when he gets back. A technically gifted midfielder but perhaps too similar to Stanton? Black, Smith, Baptie all look to be potential first team players.

BUT the fans have got to give these young players time to develop even when they get in the first team. Handling was getting dogs abuse on here just 3 weeks after being singled out for praise by Terry. Form will go up and down with these boys so we need to stay off their backs. The same thing is happening with Harris at the moment, and be sure that Sammy Stanton will have the same issues.

Totally agree. The young players need time.

CapitalGreen
17-02-2014, 10:57 PM
What's the latest with Brad Donaldson?

Was on the bench a lot last season and it was a toss up between him and Forster to start at Tynie at the end of last season.

oconnors_strip
17-02-2014, 11:12 PM
What's the latest with Brad Donaldson?

Was on the bench a lot last season and it was a toss up between him and Forster to start at Tynie at the end of last season.

Got injured whilst on loan at Arbroath. Should be fit soon and back playing under 20s or a short loan spell somewhere

SMAXXA
17-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Centre midfield

Hes a centre forward who's played mostly right midfield this season but played in the centre in the derby