PDA

View Full Version : Kit Clashes

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Is it just me or is there now more of an acceptance of teams being allowed to play in similar coloured kits to the opposition than there was years ago! There have been several examples recently including Man City v Chelsea yesterday light blue v dark blue, even watching Everton and Swansea line up in the tunnel beforehand the commentator commented on a potential clash between the kits if you ignore the yellow on the shoulders.

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Said the same yest watching City v Chelsea. Saying that, despite them both wearing blue, there wasn't an issue. Sure it didn't happen last season however? More of a clash in the game today

BH Hibs
16-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Is it just me or is there now more of an acceptance of teams being allowed to play in similar coloured kits to the opposition than there was years ago! There have been several examples recently including Man City v Chelsea yesterday light blue v dark blue, even watching Everton and Swansea line up in the tunnel beforehand the commentator commented on a potential clash between the kits if you ignore the yellow on the shoulders.

But the yellow is there preventing the colour clash. Commentators don't half talk some ***** at times. :greengrin

hibby6270
16-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Think the question should be more like why does a team have to wear their Away kit when their Home kit would in no way clash with the team actually playing at home. The game you mention today is a perfect example . Swansea play in white. Why then do they get allowed to change to predominantly blue kit when playing against a team whose kit is - well - predominantly blue. I'm totally lost on my wee B&W portable just now :wink:

Most recent game I can recall when we had "strip silliness" was the cup game against Killie last season. We played in yellow and Killie played in red and white stripes. FFS. Would have thought our green/white and their blue/white stripes would not have clashed:confused:

Now I'll start the marketing / money in the coffers argument. All b*ll*cks IMHO.

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2014, 02:04 PM
But the yellow is there preventing the colour clash. Commentators don't half talk some ***** at times. :greengrin

Yeah different club badges and sponsors names too!:wink:

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Think the question should be more like why does a team have to wear their Away kit when their Home kit would in no way clash with the team actually playing at home. The game you mention today is a perfect example . Swansea play in white. Why then do they get allowed to change to predominantly blue kit when playing against a team whose kit is - well - predominantly blue. I'm totally lost on my wee B&W portable just now :wink:

Most recent game I can recall when we had "strip silliness" was the cup game against Killie last season. We played in yellow and Killie played in red and white stripes. FFS. Would have thought our green/white and their blue/white stripes would not have clashed:confused:

Now I'll start the marketing / money in the coffers argument. All b*ll*cks IMHO.

Surely Chelsea should have worn their away kit yesterday too.

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-02-2014, 02:07 PM
We wore that awful yellow strip three times at Killie last season. Still not sure why

hibby6270
16-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Surely Chelsea should have worn their away kit yesterday too.

You're probably right. Wouldn't have changed the result though :wink:
Any shade of blue doesn't show up well on a B&W telly.:greengrin

I'm still of the opinion that if there us no clash both teams should play in their normal strips.

Another bug bear of mine is when a referee doesn't change their colours to avoid a clash with some strips. Most blatant I've seen this season is against Hearts. They have that all maroon strip this season yet refs have insisted in playing in their all black kit. Can be confusing. Worst I've seen that is Celtic playing in their black away kit and yes the ref plays in his all black kit as well. What's that all about?

Gus Fring
16-02-2014, 03:05 PM

I don't see why, if everyone has Home and Away kits, that they where home kits at home and away kits when playing away. Colour clash? Then use the 3rd strip.

It all boils down to money though. The sponsors and kit manufacturers usually have a minimum outings clause in their contract so that they sell as many strips as possible. Wearing Home at Home and Away when Away would solve the majority of the problems. Or is that too much like common sense for football?

heretoday
16-02-2014, 03:05 PM
The Man City v Chelsea game was no bother but the Everton/Swansea shirts are daft. Swansea should be playing in white! It's a reverse of the whole raison d'etre of change strips.

Keith_M
16-02-2014, 03:50 PM
I thought I'd be the first one to mention that Hibs and Celtc played each other for decades without either changing their strip for the occassion. Should still be the same.

Hibernia Na Eir
16-02-2014, 05:43 PM
If you are colourblind it makes no difference.

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2014, 05:48 PM
If you are colourblind it makes no difference.

Depends on the colours, red and green the biggest problems.