PDA

View Full Version : Eoin Doyle

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-02-2014, 11:51 PM
Seems to be scoring a lot in the last few games. Seems to be doing really well at Chesterfield. Good on him! Liked him when he was here.

Itsnoteasy
16-02-2014, 12:08 AM
4 goals in the last 4 games.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 12:09 AM
4 goals in the last 4 games.

Pretty decent.

.Sean.
16-02-2014, 05:09 AM
Very intelligent player. Liked him a lot. Great reader of the game.

Hibercelona
16-02-2014, 06:51 AM
Thought it was a mistake letting him go. He came at a very poor time.

He's an intellegent player who will do well with the right players around him.

Weststandwanab
16-02-2014, 06:57 AM

He's an intellegent player who will do well with the right players around him. I would agree with all of that.

patch1875
16-02-2014, 07:09 AM

He he was offered a deal but Hibs couldn't match their wages.

AlbertK86
16-02-2014, 07:09 AM
Thought it was a mistake letting him go. He came at a very poor time. He's an intellegent player who will do well with the right players around him.we didn't let him go. He refused a knew contract and wanted to leave

Hibercelona
16-02-2014, 07:14 AM

I'm not sure if it was a case of them simply offering better wages. Chesterfield certainly shouldn't be outmatching us in this regard.

I think it was possibly to do with Paul Cook becoming manager of the club, as Doyle had worked with him in the past.

The Sea-gull
16-02-2014, 07:20 AM
Doyle was offered an extension to his contract and hibs were not willing to offer a wage rise that is why he left. He seemed to show a bit here and there but went through long spells where he did nothing. An ok player at spl level and remember saying that I wasn't bothered either way if he stayed or went. Would we be any better off if he had stayed this season instead of us signing Collins or Heffernan? I don't think so as he would have suffered the same lack of service. Goes without saying I would rather have had Doyle than vine though!

Paperboy
16-02-2014, 07:22 AM
Always liked him for the part he played in the semi against Falkirk.

good luck to him

Boyle89
16-02-2014, 08:03 AM
I'd almost forgotten about him. Scored some really nice goals. Sheep away was a good strike. I thank him for his equaliser, never again will I celebrate a goal with such pure relief.

jeffers
16-02-2014, 08:06 AM
I was told Chesterfield offered him double what we did. Source was a mate who was friends with Pat Fenlon.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-02-2014, 08:09 AM
He wanted to go and following that theme we should let this go.

easty
16-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Good luck to him, but I don't miss him. If he goes on to have a couple of good seasons down south he'll no doubt go down as "one that we shouldn't have let get away" when really he was just a player who played well in a handful of games but was largely anonymous in most.

Geo_1875
16-02-2014, 08:42 AM
He was a good player who suffered because every ball had to go to Griffiths. I he'd got regular game time as our main striker he'd have improved over time. However, as the rest of the team were poor we'd probably have got relegated.

marinello59
16-02-2014, 08:48 AM

How much money did we waste on Vine, bought in panic for the Malmo game? If we take his signing on fee, wages and release fee in to account maybe offering Doyle a bit more would have been cheaper.

hibee_girl
16-02-2014, 09:14 AM

:agree: said this all along

Hibbyradge
16-02-2014, 09:39 AM
This thread is classic Hibs.net. Nostalgia sure ain't what it used to be!

An ex-Hibs striker scores a few goals in the bottom league in England (8 in 34) and we're all waxing lyrical about his near mystic abilities and condemning those short sighted fools who let him slip out of our grasp.

As I remember him, he was ordinary in the extreme, and only managed to score about 8 league goals in 2 years for us.

Bring him home, Tel, bring him home. Sob. :cb

Bostonhibby
16-02-2014, 09:42 AM

An ex-Hibs striker scores a few goals in the bottom league in England (8 in 34) and we're all waxing lyrical about his near mystic abilities and condemning those short sighted fools who let him slip out of our grasp.

As I remember him, he was ordinary in the extreme, and only managed to score about 8 league goals in 2 years for us.

:agree: A forward line of him, Donaldson and the Showumni brothers would see us shooting up the table, bring them all home. :wink:

Geo_1875
16-02-2014, 09:49 AM

I don't read it like that at all. Can't see anybody saying bring him back. Anyone who thinks he was "ordinary in the extreme" should stick to shopping with the missus on a Saturday.

Bobby's Cinema
16-02-2014, 09:50 AM

:hilarious tend to agree with this

marinello59
16-02-2014, 09:54 AM

There's a difference between saying we shouldn't have let him go and saying bring him back. Actually is anybody saying bring him back?

Hibbyradge
16-02-2014, 09:59 AM
There's a difference between saying we shouldn't have let him go and saying bring him back. Actually is anybody saying bring him back?

Is anyone saying that anyone's saying bring him back? :wink:

Hibbyradge
16-02-2014, 10:01 AM
I don't read it like that at all. Can't see anybody saying bring him back.

I didn't say there was.

Anyone who thinks he was "ordinary in the extreme" should stick to shopping with the missus on a Saturday.

Result!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :not worth

Thanks too to Eoin Doyle for being ordinary in the extreme and for conning so many Hibs fans into thinking he wasn't. :not worth

Big_Franck
16-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Looks like he might have found his level. Wish him all the best at Chesterfield as he always seemed to give 100% for us. Think we did the right thing in not pushing the boat out to keep him though as he was very average and his first touch was minging a lot of the time.

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Wasn't good enough, glad he's doing well.

marinello59
16-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Is anyone saying that anyone's saying bring him back? :wink:

The swear filter has wiped out my witty retort to that. :greengrin

leggeto
16-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Think he has maybe found his level at the moment,good luck to him

hfc rd
16-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Think he's found his level and best of luck to him.

iwasthere1972
16-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Seems to be scoring a lot in the last few games. Seems to be doing really well at Chesterfield. Good on him! Liked him when he was here.

Saw his goal on the highlights last night. Doing well and top of their league. Liked him when he was with us and I'm not so sure that we should have let him go.

Good luck to him. :aok:

Northernhibee
16-02-2014, 11:41 AM
His goal vs Falkirk was one of my favourite ever Hibs goals.

Geo_1875
16-02-2014, 07:09 PM
I didn't say there was.

Result!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :not worth

Thanks too to Eoin Doyle for being ordinary in the extreme and for conning so many Hibs fans into thinking he wasn't. :not worth

You did in your own juvenile way. Type, read, post is the best way of not proving yourself to be a tool.

Hibbyradge
16-02-2014, 08:40 PM
You did in your own juvenile way.

Nope. 100% wrong.

Type, read, post is the best way of not proving yourself to be a tool.

Indeed, although in your case, I'd add the word "think".

IWasThere2016
16-02-2014, 08:49 PM
I liked Doyle. He was only on £600 a week when we first signed him ..

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 08:59 PM

Now on double that.

Hibbyradge
16-02-2014, 09:03 PM

You must have hated Leigh Griffiths...:wink:

spike220
18-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Good luck to the Ginger Messi, onwards and upwards.

Loved his SC semi goal though!

matty_f
18-02-2014, 07:16 AM
Bring him back!

KeithTheHibby
18-02-2014, 08:32 AM

And Collins, Heffernan and Vine look what exactly?

Given last year was his first full season in the SPL he managed double figures. Given the fact that Fenlon knew Griffiths was leaving should he have allowed ED to leave? Personally I thought he was worth a new improved contract.

easty
18-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Personally I thought he was worth a new improved contract.

Well I'm glad it wasn't up to you then.

Hibercelona
18-02-2014, 08:39 AM

Nope. Good thing Fenlon was in charge at the time....

Hibbyradge
18-02-2014, 08:44 AM
And Collins, Heffernan and Vine look what exactly?

Given last year was his first full season in the SPL he managed double figures. Given the fact that Fenlon knew Griffiths was leaving should he have allowed ED to leave? Personally I thought he was worth a new improved contract.

I certainly preferred him to Vine. I just didn't think Doyle offered us much at all, but then again, I like Lewis Stevenson and there are plenty who don't so it's all about opinions.

I don't think Fenlon "allowed" Doyle to leave, however. I think a new contract was offered, but wasn't accepted.

Hibercelona
18-02-2014, 09:44 AM
I certainly preferred him to Vine. I just didn't think Doyle offered us much at all, but then again, I like Lewis Stevenson and there are plenty who don't so it's all about opinions.

I don't think Fenlon "allowed" Doyle to leave, however. I think a new contract was offered, but wasn't accepted.

We offered him £600 a week. We were bascially telling him to go.

Saying that we didn't allow him to go, doesn't really wash.

Hibbyradge
18-02-2014, 09:58 AM
We offered him £600 a week. We were bascially telling him to go.

Saying that we didn't allow him to go, doesn't really wash.

How do you know this?

In any case, according to others, he was already on £600 pw, so the new contract was the same and was about exactly what he was worth, imo.

Hiber-nation
18-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Very average striker who's found his level but it's typical of so many on here to wax lyrical about average ex-players.

KeithTheHibby
18-02-2014, 11:56 AM

We are of course so much better off for the strikers brought in to replace him eh...:rolleyes:

easty
18-02-2014, 02:09 PM
We are of course so much better off for the strikers brought in to replace him eh...:rolleyes:

Collins and Heffernan are better than Doyle is/was.

blackpoolhibs
18-02-2014, 02:15 PM

I could score in the Hibs team if i played up front with Leigh Griffiths :greengrin. I'd say he was an average player who gave us some great moments, but they were few and far between.

Not the best and not the worst, but surely we as a club want better than Doyle at the club, irrespective of who we replaced him with?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Hopefully scores tonight and helps Chesterfield win for my coupon!

TheFamous1875
18-02-2014, 02:29 PM
I liked Doyle. His best game for us was on the right wing against Celtic at Christmas time last year. His lack of finishing and his first touch were what made me deem him not good enough for Hibs. I couldn't make it at the weekend, but this Haynes sounds like the best we've had since Doyle and Sparky.

Still irks me that we couldn't get Leigh, imagine building a team around him with Butcher and Malpas at the helm!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fergus52
18-02-2014, 03:22 PM
No-one in this thread has claimed he was a world beater in anyway, shape or form.

Posters have been discussing an old player who's doing well and reminiscing about some good performances.

If that bothers you so much then don't read the thread.

easty
18-02-2014, 03:28 PM
No-one in this thread has claimed he was a world beater in anyway, shape or form.

Posters have been discussing an old player who's doing well and reminiscing about some good performances.

So....if I didn't think he was very good then I shouldn't be involved in the discussion?

brog
18-02-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm just amazed how many posters on this board know the intimate details of Hibs' players' remuneration!!

jacomo
18-02-2014, 03:42 PM
How much money did we waste on Vine, bought in panic for the Malmo game? If we take his signing on fee, wages and release fee in to account maybe offering Doyle a bit more would have been cheaper.

:agree:

Plus Doyle and 2nd season Leigh could have been lethal together!

The Harp
18-02-2014, 03:48 PM

Agree with that. I always thought he was a whole hearted player for Hibs. Maybe not as gifted as we would've liked but couldn't accuse him of not trying.
He did a decent job for us at the time (for a fairly small remuneration if the figure quoted is accurate) and moved on. Looks like some of us have a problem with that.:dunno:

Hibbyradge
18-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Agree with that. I always thought he was a whole hearted player for Hibs. Maybe not as gifted as we would've liked but couldn't accuse him of not trying.
He did a decent job for us at the time (for a fairly small remuneration if the figure quoted is accurate) and moved on. Looks like some of us have a problem with that.:dunno:

I've had another look at this thread and it doesn't strike me that anyone has a problem with him moving on unless you mean those who think we should have tried harder to keep him. :confused:

Ronniekirk
18-02-2014, 04:02 PM
:agree:

Plus Doyle and 2nd season Leigh could have been lethal together!

We didn't have the patience to wait and see the real Green Messi How many goals has he scored so far this season ?:confused:

Fergus52
18-02-2014, 04:54 PM
So....if I didn't think he was very good then I shouldn't be involved in the discussion?

that was not implied at all.

I was referencing the petty comments about there being an ex player thread.

johnrebus
18-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Not missed IMHO.

Before his current scoring run he hadn't netted for months.....