PDA

View Full Version : One for the historians

Forza Fred
15-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Currently on hols in Cairns, and a young lady at the breakfast table advises that her Grandad from Newcastle was on Hibs books.

She's from Newcastle so I guess he was too.

Only clue was that if he was still alive he'd be in his nineties

Anyone dig anything up about him

His name was Gillespie

FranckSuzy
15-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Currently on hols in Cairns, and a young lady at the breakfast table advises that her Grandad from Newcastle was on Hibs books.

She's from Newcastle so I guess he was too.

Only clue was that if he was still alive he'd be in his nineties

Anyone dig anything up about him

His name was Gillespie

Hi Fred

Lucky you! :greengrin

Just checked the ihibs site and there's no mention of any player with that name. Perhaps he played during the war and was not a permanent fixture?

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_list_az.php?page=G

Cheers

Susan

hibbybrian
16-02-2014, 03:13 AM
Not much help Fred, but according to the Players Registrations, there were 23 Gillespies registered pre-WWII and 27 registered post-WWII, however there has never been a Gillespie signed and registered by Hibs.

Given the age you mention, as Suzy says, he may have been with Hibs during the WWII years.

I have reports on all but 2 games during that time but there is no mention of a Gillespie playing for Hibs, although there are 14 games where I don't have the full team lists so he may have been with Hibs but was not registered.

There was a centre-forward named Pat Gillespie registered with Hearts for season 1950-51, who signed for them from Kelty Rangers, and seems to have retired from football in 1951.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Is it Cairns or Darwin they say that the Crims hang out after release from jail ;) serious question and not implying anything! Went out with a girl from Ballerat and she told me about this place.