PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

Hibbyradge
15-02-2014, 06:08 PM
That was a fantastic shift from Lewis and I was very pleased that the sponsors gave him man of the match.

:top marks

Bishop Hibee
15-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Agree. He is much better in left midfield than at left back. Well done Lewis!

matty_f
15-02-2014, 06:15 PM
The left side looked much stronger with Mcgivern at left back largely down to the great cover he gets from Lewis.
Lewis was also a great going forward and deservedly got motm, imho.

Bob1875
15-02-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm sure I read on here that he epitomises everything that is wrong with our club? Can't be the same player?

kaimendhibs
15-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Really deserved mom today

Sent from my iphone

Wheat Hound
15-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Him and McGivern are a great combination on the left

Hibbyradge
15-02-2014, 06:29 PM
The left side looked much stronger with Mcgivern at left back largely down to the great cover he gets from Lewis.
Lewis was also a great going forward and deservedly got motm, imho.

He did everything today.

He covers for Hanlon and Nelson when they go forward at corners, he makes lung bursting run after run to give options, he tackles, he supports McGivern, and he provides crosses into the box. His energy is almost boundless.

The through ball to Haynes in the second half was inches from being perfect and is exactly the type of ball we've been missing.

Well done to the Sect 43 team for acknowledging his efforts with his own song. :thumbsup:

Aldo
15-02-2014, 06:30 PM
That was a fantastic shift from Lewis and I was very pleased that the sponsors gave him man of the match. :top marks

Shame or resident MB expert has been sent on gardeners leave as I'm sure he'd have something to say bout this.

Well done Lewis

God Petrie
15-02-2014, 06:31 PM
I am genuinely in love with lewis stevenson. What a boy. What a hibs boy.

maturehibby
15-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Total commitment from Lewis - now to install the same passion in the other 10 players

erin go bragh
15-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Thought Stanton was the best player on the park
by a country mile and should have won the man of the match .

Ggtth

Ricky Bobby
15-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Very decent performance from Lewis today, thoroughly deserved his man of the match. Fantastic fitness level, still making lung bursting runs right to the end of the game.
A few more players could do worse than adopt the same levels of commitment.

Stewboy
15-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Be interesting to see how many miles the lad covers in a match, just keeps going

Thought he had a cracking game today

Winston Ingram
15-02-2014, 06:39 PM
I love him:not worth

wookie70
15-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Played very well today and his energy was amazing. Great round of applause when his MOTM was awarded and shows that hard work and dedication will always win over fans. He may not have the right personality for it but shows every other quality I would like in a Hibs Captain.

Pretty Boy
15-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Our 1st choice left midfielder.

If we had 11 with the work ethic and determination of Lewis we'd be ok. Although that's unfair because there is far more to his game than just working hard.

jon paul jones
15-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Lew - is Ste - ven - son

edwards
15-02-2014, 07:02 PM
A Lewis Stevenson love in on the net shockeroonie, still credit where credit is due he deseved his award today and just pipped Danny Handling for me. Onwards and Upwards.

:tbgwa:

bingo70
15-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Thought he did well today and deserved his motm.

Tyler Durden
15-02-2014, 07:06 PM
He did everything today.

He covers for Hanlon and Nelson when they go forward at corners, he makes lung bursting run after run to give options, he tackles, he supports McGivern, and he provides crosses into the box. His energy is almost boundless.

The through ball to Haynes in the second half was inches from being perfect and is exactly the type of ball we've been missing.

Well done to the Sect 43 team for acknowledging his efforts with his own song. :thumbsup:

Stevenson's pass to Haynes should have been bread and butter and that's where he falls short for a creative position to me.

Harris played the pass of the match to Handling but because he didn't win many 50/50s he apparently isn't worthy of first team football in some peoples eyes. The Scottish footballing mentality.

Biggie
15-02-2014, 07:13 PM
What a player......100% every game.....keep up the good work Lewis...

tamig
15-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Stevenson's pass to Haynes should have been bread and butter and that's where he falls short for a creative position to me.

Harris played the pass of the match to Handling but because he didn't win many 50/50s he apparently isn't worthy of first team football in some peoples eyes. The Scottish footballing mentality.
I've mentioned Harris's reluctance to put in a challenge on another thread. I don't think anyone is suggesting or expecting him to be a ball winner. However, it was clear to me today that he is still protecting himself and on a few occasions in the second half we were lucky to get away with not losing an equaliser from moves that stemmed from Harris not competing for the ball.

bigwheel
15-02-2014, 09:06 PM

Harris is an undoubted talent, he was poor today though...looks like he has lost his confidence....one nice pass isn't enough to stay in the team....Stevenson provided much more to the team today

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2014, 09:13 PM

Harris was poor today, looked low on confidence and not worthy of a starting place, one great pass can't disguise the fact, nothing to do with Scottish footballing mentality. Hopefully he will continue to grow as a player and live up to his early expectation. Stevenson was immense and deserved his MOTM award.

whiskas
15-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Lewis was a machine today. Up and down that left touchline all day today and still looked like he couldvit for another 90 mins at full time. That through-ball to Haynes was only off by millimeters too

Iggy Pope
15-02-2014, 09:29 PM

Alex needs game time in the U-20s and I am certain he would be happier after a couple of weeks there rather than the flak he is getting now based on perceived shortcomings or unrealistically high expectations.

He never won any 50/50s and one pass wont change the mentality of anyone.

kaimendhibs
15-02-2014, 10:03 PM
I've mentioned Harris's reluctance to put in a challenge on another thread. I don't think anyone is suggesting or expecting him to be a ball winner. However, it was clear to me today that he is still protecting himself and on a few occasions in the second half we were lucky to get away with not losing an equaliser from moves that stemmed from Harris not competing for the ball.

Said same today, seems reluctant to tackle just now

Sent from my iphone

Shrekko
15-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Noticed that the MOM announcement was greeted with a lot of warmth from the fans and no wonder. I wish folk would stop implying he's some kind of boo boys target -he's one of the most popular players we have and has been for most of his time at Hibs.

It would be criminal if he was moved away from that left midfield spot now, especially if it's to cover another position. Let him stay there until his form dictates otherwise. He's been excellent in that role.

Emerald
15-02-2014, 10:24 PM
He did everything today.

Agrre with this 100%. :thumbsup:

Got to say good on the guys for the song BUt it must be the worst ever song for a player.. sorry, I'm getting the guitar out now and will try to do better.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-02-2014, 11:05 PM
He was everywhere. Take a bow Lewy!

alan1875
15-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Lewis was brilliant today and thoroughly deserved his MOTM.

Thought Taiwo was excellent today too and was a close second. Made so many tackles and was fighting till the end. Obviously got his goal too. We'll done to both!!

chrisski33
15-02-2014, 11:51 PM
Lol nxt week folk will be saying hes *****

eggbamyasi
16-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Thought he was excellent today . Just didnt stop all game , he has great awareness to cover other players when out of position and get up and down wing really well , to defend or attack. Really good game and deserved man of the match . Some of the comments last few weeks about him have been ridiculous just glad to see its a minority of numptys due to the appreciation to got in stadium today ::-D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Tyler Durden
16-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Harris was poor today, looked low on confidence and not worthy of a starting place, one great pass can't disguise the fact, nothing to do with Scottish footballing mentality. Hopefully he will continue to grow as a player and live up to his early expectation. Stevenson was immense and deserved his MOTM award.

My point re Scottish mentality is that Lewis gets praise for working hard and getting stuck in. Nobody can deny his commitment but what are we actually measuring a midfielder performance by?

1. Ability to create chances, provide assists.
2. Passing and generally keeping the ball.
3. Tracking back and defending.

Only on point 3 was/is Stevenson excellent. His passing, crossing and dribbling were average so I personally think it's totally OTT for people to suggest he was excellent yesterday or was a 9/10.

Again, I like Lewis but he's getting praise for commitment which should be a given. As we've had so many wasters on the books last few years Lewis looks good in comparison. Remains a great squad player in my view but he'll never give enough going forward to be a long term option on the wing.

Makaveli
16-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Stevenson, Taiwo and Stanton were all excellent in their respective roles IMO. Good selection dilemmas in the coming weeks.

As a side note, 6 of yesterday's starting 11 came through at Hibs. Stanton and Harris (both 19), Forster and Handling (both 20), Hanlon (24), and Stevenson (26).

jon paul jones
16-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Agrre with this 100%. :thumbsup:

Got to say good on the guys for the song BUt it must be the worst ever song for a player.. sorry, I'm getting the guitar out now and will try to do better.

Mmmmm, I think we can trump that with the 12 days of Stevenson Xmas special. (December only)

Seriously though, if you have suggestions pass them on along the chain. I know there are a lot of talented people out there so get writing and we'll get singing

Alex Trager
16-02-2014, 08:55 AM
For me Taiwo was MOTM yesterday. He was brilliant in the midfield.

I like Stevenson but one bugbear of mines is when he has plenty space in front of him and he receives the ball but drops his pace to like fifty percent and it's like he almost refuses to move forward and at times waits til McGivern moves forward to support him. He can beat players but doesn't try enough. Unfortunately.

B.H.F.C
16-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Solid shift and is a decent left midfielder. Can't believe anybody ever thought it was a good idea to play him at right back. Based on end product I thought there were better players on the pitch though.

Winston Ingram
16-02-2014, 09:53 AM
My point re Scottish mentality is that Lewis gets praise for working hard and getting stuck in. Nobody can deny his commitment but what are we actually measuring a midfielder performance by?

Only on point 3 was/is Stevenson excellent. His passing, crossing and dribbling were average so I personally think it's totally OTT for people to suggest he was excellent yesterday or was a 9/10.

Again, I like Lewis but he's getting praise for commitment which should be a given. As we've had so many wasters on the books last few years Lewis looks good in comparison. Remains a great squad player in my view but he'll never give enough going forward to be a long term option on the wing.

Sorry that's just nonsense. Admittedly he's not Eden Hazard but he can certainly beat a man and put in quality crosses as he did yesterday and has all season. As for passing and generally keeping the ball.The guy rarely wastes a pass and i wouldn't be surprised if he was to have the highest passing average completion in the team.

Bobby's Cinema
16-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Thought he had a great game. Was involved in almost everything second half :aok:

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2014, 10:12 AM

Did you miss his lung bursting runs, break up of attacks and then a willingness to burst forward and take the game to them, his excellent coverage of dropping into spaces left by team mates. Not to mention his overall energy and willingness to be the out ball. You mention praise for commitment that should be a given, yet he displays it in every game when others don't.

NAE NOOKIE
16-02-2014, 10:32 AM
He gave everything yesterday as always and had a very good game. But for a player who gets into so many positions where damage can be caused he creates very little. I have a lot of time for Lewis, his attitude is second to none .... but I cant help thinking that if we had a player in that position who was more creative it would be better for the team.

I have a feeling that Lewis gets so much of the ball because other teams dont see him as a danger for the very reason another poster pointed out ... he doesnt have the pace or skill to make use of the amount of ball he gets in the final third and because of that theres no reason to man mark him ...... I cant think of a player who is on the ball in a game more than LS .... but as I said, perhaps thats as much to do with other teams attitude to him as with his fantastic workrate.

As for the Alex Harris debate .... his injury was obviously a bad one and it may take time for him to get his confidence back ... I for one have every confidence that he will come good.

Tyler Durden
16-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Sorry that's just nonsense. Admittedly he's not Eden Hazard but he can certainly beat a man and put in quality crosses as he did yesterday and has all season. As for passing and generally keeping the ball.The guy rarely wastes a pass and i wouldn't be surprised if he was to have the highest passing average completion in the team.

I'm not denying he can beat a man or cross a ball. He doesn't excel in those areas though, not yesterday and not consistently. He has very few assists or goals in 200 games.

He excels in having a great attitude and making the best of his ability which is more destructive than creative. Tackling, harrying, not creativity. That doesn't warrant 9/10 reviews for a wide midfielder.

Tyler Durden
16-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Did you miss his lung bursting runs, break up of attacks and then a willingness to burst forward and take the game to them, his excellent coverage of dropping into spaces left by team mates. Not to mention his overall energy and willingness to be the out ball. You mention praise for commitment that should be a given, yet he displays it in every game when others don't.

Take the game to them, willingness to be an out ball..... is that not standard for a wide player? As I'd already said, his tracking back and covering was excellent. What he did with the ball was average.

On the final sentence that's my point. Because we have been subjected to players not giving their all, people go OTT in praising Lewis for what is basic professionalism.

TheFamous1875
16-02-2014, 10:49 AM
We all seem to have a concern over what a wide midfielder is and what it isnae. I see Lewis as a good wide midfielder, who if we persevere with him in this position, he may very well come up with the creative goods to compliment his already colossal work rate, passing and tracking back. The more he grows into the role, the more I can see him making defence splitting passes like he did against Killie. It's like he's a central holding midfielder with the engine of a winger, which is nothing to be scoffed at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tamig
16-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Take the game to them, willingness to be an out ball..... is that not standard for a wide player? As I'd already said, his tracking back and covering was excellent. What he did with the ball was average.

On the final sentence that's my point. Because we have been subjected to players not giving their all, people go OTT in praising Lewis for what is basic professionalism.
I get the impression you're one of a few on here who are very much in the "decent squad player" camp so far as LS is concerned. Lewis has been our best player in the wide left position this season. I think we've seen - recent games a prime example - that the team lacks something when he's shunted to left-back or wherever to cover injuries. That wide left position is Lewis's to lose now in my opinion. There is nobody better there at the club currently in that role. All imo of course.

Tyler Durden
16-02-2014, 11:00 AM
I get the impression you're one of a few on here who are very much in the "decent squad player" camp so far as LS is concerned. Lewis has been our best player in the wide left position this season. I think we've seen - recent games a prime example - that the team lacks something when he's shunted to left-back or wherever to cover injuries. That wide left position is Lewis's to lose now in my opinion. There is nobody better there at the club currently in that role. All imo of course.

I agree with majority of that. Team has been at its best with McGivern and Stevenson down the left. Lewis is in possession and I'd keep him there next week. I'm simply saying he was not excellent yesterday! Nobody was.

Longer term I'd see Harris in that wide left role. Or Craig although TB obviously doesn't see him as a wide man.

tamig
16-02-2014, 11:06 AM
I agree with majority of that. Team has been at its best with McGivern and Stevenson down the left. Lewis is in possession and I'd keep him there next week. I'm simply saying he was not excellent yesterday! Nobody was.

Longer term I'd see Harris in that wide left role. Or Craig although TB obviously doesn't see him as a wide man.
To be honest, I wouldn't bring Craig back in at the moment. He's been poor for weeks. Alex Harris looks like he still has a fair bit to go before he can be considered for a regular start. I like him a lot but he looks severely lacking in confidence or belief just now and if he was moved from right to left I think you'd see us getting ripped down our left side rather than the right - which is what teams have exploited the past few games.

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2014, 11:26 AM

Scoring goals is supposed to be standard for a striker but I bet you'd be rejoicing if one of our strikers scored 10 in his next ten games.:greengrin

Tyler Durden
16-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Scoring goals is supposed to be standard for a striker but I bet you'd be rejoicing if one of our strikers scored 10 in his next ten games.:greengrin

Certainly more chance of that with Haynes than Collins:wink:

jdships
16-02-2014, 11:45 AM

Appreciate this is PURELY your opinion which you are entitled to but I must wholehartedly disagree .
No matter what job/business you work in there are "Leaders and Followers" just as there are players with flair and players who , on the football field, simply do the job they were asked to do.
LS over all the years he has been at ER has done the job he has been asked to do ( many times being played out of position ) without a single mention of a complaint and IMHO is a MODEL PROFESSIONAL which many of his peers would do well to copy :aok:.

Every successful team has flair players and " workers" who never get a headline that's how the game is !!

Another Stevenson in the 1960's who was a stalwart in Shankly's first great team never got the recognition he deserved either

A key member of Bill Shankly's first great Liverpool side, 'Stevo' joined the Reds from Rangers in 1963 and quickly established himself as an elegant left half in a formidable team. With Scotland hardly setting the world alight during this time an international call seemingly beckoned but, for reasons only the selectors at the time will know, it never came.

Stantons Angel
16-02-2014, 04:43 PM

I suppose there has to be one?

Can you not let Lewis have a post celebrating his man of the match without your negativity.

Lewis WAS excellent yesterday and very few of the others where, so let him have the plaudits without negativity creeping in. I realise this is only your opinion and you are right in saying its what is normally expected of a midfielder.

Can you not apply that to so many of the other team members as well then? Most of them didnt put in a shift bespoke to the position they were playing for most of the game.

Lewis gets a lot of stick on here, but the warmth of the agreement when the man of the match was announced would make him proud.

Well done Lewis!

EastCalderHibby
16-02-2014, 04:46 PM
That was a fantastic shift from Lewis and I was very pleased that the sponsors gave him man of the match.

:top marks

That's why he has his own song :agree:

Wheat Hound
16-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Can't think of any other Hibs player in the last 20 or so years more deserving of a testimonial. I would definitely attend and hope / believe many others would too. Am I right in saying he made his first team debut in 2005 so he would be due from next year?

Winston Ingram
16-02-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm not denying he can beat a man or cross a ball. He doesn't excel in those areas though, not yesterday and not consistently. He has very few assists or goals in 200 games.

He excels in having a great attitude and making the best of his ability which is more destructive than creative. Tackling, harrying, not creativity. That doesn't warrant 9/10 reviews for a wide midfielder.

He doesn't have many assists which is probably down to the fact he's played holding midfield, right back, left back or left out completely.

There's far more to Lewis than attitude and effort and couldn't disagree more with creativity part. He has a great cross on him. He has a cracking technique when he crosses. I can't remember him ever mi****ting one. He uses the ball intelligently and rarely wastes a pass and as i said earlier also, he's probably likely to have the top or one of the top passing averages in the team.

Hibs7
16-02-2014, 06:29 PM
His best position and needless to say when he is back there we win the game... When he was playing fullback we lost all 4 .. TB KEEP him at left midfield .. It makes sense !!

kaimendhibs
16-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Can't think of any other Hibs player in the last 20 or so years more deserving of a testimonial. I would definitely attend and hope / believe many others would too. Am I right in saying he made his first team debut in 2005 so he would be due from next year?
Said this yesterday, very deserving of a testimonial and big crowd

Sent from my iphone

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Said this yesterday, very deserving of a testimonial and big crowd

Sent from my iphone

I would attend as long as all the cash raised went to charity which I think is pretty much the norm these days anyway.

Makaveli
16-02-2014, 06:58 PM

"Asked if he considered that he would be eligible for a testimonial in 2015 if he was to see out his new deal, modest Stevenson replied: “I can’t see me having a testimonial, even if I played 30 years. I’m not the type of person to get a testimonial... It’s nothing that’s really appealed to me. Maybe when I’m 35, not 25, I’ll start thinking about testimonials.""

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/lewis-stevenson-signs-new-two-year-contract-at-hibs-1-2838351 (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/lewis-stevenson-signs-new-two-year-contract-at-hibs-1-2838351)

RN Hibee
16-02-2014, 07:04 PM
With Lewis' work rate, Taiwo looking back to his best and the creativity of Watmore and Stanton our midfield is looking good for the rest of the season. Can see Lewis playing the rest of his career out at the club and being remembered as a bit of a legend, would be made even better if he could be part of the team that wont THAT cup eventually.

Mikey09
17-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Lol nxt week folk will be saying hes *****

Beat me to it.... If the TEAM drops there standards next week or the week after the Lewis lynch mob will be in full swing on this forum......he will be everything that's wrong with hibs again. Well you know what?? Lewis in my opinion is a great wee player who always gives everything in a hibs jersey and sets a great example to younger fans and players on and off the park. But don't let that stop anyone tearing him apart when the team plays poor..... :thumbsup: