PDA

View Full Version : Will we make top 6 ?

GreenCastle
15-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Yes or no ?

Today we had to win and have now created a small gap between us and Killie -

Hibs remaining fixtures -

February -

Away - Killie - 1pt
Home - Dundee Utd

March -

Away - Thistle
Away - St Johnstone
Home - Motherwell
Away - Yams

April -

Home - Aberdeen

Plus ICT Away I think - can anyone confirm?

St Johnstone remaining games -

Feb -

Away - Celtic - 0 points
Home - ICT - 0 points
Home - Motherwell - 3 points

March -

Away - Aberdeen
Away - Raith (Cup)
Away - Dundee Utd
Home - Ross County
Home - Hibs
Away - St Mirren
Home - Thistle

April -

Away - Killie

We shouldn't be struggling to be in the top 6 - simply not good enough at our club - but we are there and I believe that we need to get into the top 6 for money and I can't see any positives being 7th in bottom 6.

St Johnstone have a pretty busy March - and we also play each other in the middle of next month - which could determine our fate.

I think it will go down to the wire - improve on today and 6th is about right. 6th or 7th though we need some quality in summer if we have any chance to close the gap on Aberdeen who seem to be so much more consistent than us.

neilmartinrocks
15-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Ask again tomorrow afternoon :)

The Sea-gull
15-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Who knows. Could be tight either way. Start of the season I felt we'd be either top end of the bottom 6 or bottom end of the top 6. Looks like that'll be about right. In the grand scheme of things, if we can get top 6 it gives us something to build on. Allows us to claw back a wee bit of pride as a club and would have to be regarded as a more than reasonable start by Butcher. More importantly the increased prize money will really help the summer rebuild.

stoneyburn hibs
15-02-2014, 05:57 PM
No, its not right but im relieved that we are just about free of the relegation play off spot and that will do for me this term.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-02-2014, 05:59 PM
I don't think we will. Think we will just miss out, just.

Stax
15-02-2014, 06:08 PM
I think we're positioned quite nicely. Can't see st Johnstone picking up any points tomorrow leaving us a point behind them. They've got goals in them especially from May but just need them to have a dip in form like we've just had. Plenty opportunities for points from our upcoming fixtures, we just need to take them.

Nevi_SOL
15-02-2014, 06:24 PM
I can maybe see inverness dropping out

GreenCastle
15-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Looking at the league right now it's really 6 mini leagues

1 - Celtic - Top

2 - Aberdeen v Motherwell - battle for 2nd

3 - Dundee Utd v ICT - battle for 4th

4 - St J v Hibs - who gets into the top 6

5 - Killie v St Mirren v Ross County v Thistle - who avoids 2nd bottom / play off

6 - Yams :na na: - relagated

wookie70
15-02-2014, 07:49 PM
I think we will miss out by a couple of points or so. The prize money difference isn't huge(assuming we are 7th) and I presume we would get a home derby in the bottom six and play Celtic away in the top half. It would be nice to get in the top half but I would possibly just prefer the chance of waving Ta Ta to the Jambos with a good hiding at ER

dave62
15-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Think we'll just miss out, though if we can go on a wee run it's possible and I'd rather have our fixtures than theirs.

Ronniekirk
15-02-2014, 07:58 PM
I think we're positioned quite nicely. Can't see st Johnstone picking up any points tomorrow leaving us a point behind them. They've got goals in them especially from May but just need them to have a dip in form like we've just had. Plenty opportunities for points from our upcoming fixtures, we just need to take them.

Agree and Butcher wants top six .Would be more confident if we had a striker scoring every other week .For St Johnstone Stevie May is under pressure to score and if he goes through a lean spell that would certainly help us

Dashing Bob S
15-02-2014, 09:16 PM
No way will Hibs be bottom six, we'll end up 5 or 6th, and whichever one it is, it'll be the lowest position we'll be in the League again for YEARS AND YEARS.

hfc rd
16-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Going to go right down to the wire.

Hibercelona
16-02-2014, 06:55 AM
I don't think we will. We're struggling against the teams above us in the table. I can see us finishing in 7th. (Possibly ending the season on higher points than 6th place)

Onion
16-02-2014, 08:12 AM
Can't beat top 6 teams and poor home record will cement our bottom 6 place.

semaj64
16-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Hopefully we win against St J to make sure, do not fancy having to beat Aberdeen last game before the split again, in saying that would make it a great game and atmosphere!

emerald green
16-02-2014, 05:28 PM
I don't think we will. Think we will just miss out, just.

Agreed, it will be very close. Hope I'm wrong though.

Hibbyradge
16-02-2014, 05:48 PM
It looks unlikely to me, but hopefully we'll still be in with a shout on March 22nd.

We'll take a decent sized crowd to Perth if we are.

Ronniekirk
16-02-2014, 06:13 PM
[QUO TE=Hibbyradge;3909446]It looks unlikely to me, but hopefully we'll still be in with a shout on March 22nd.

We'll take a decent sized crowd to Perth if we are.[/QUOTE]

I think this weeks results on top of our win give us a fighting chance but we need to get back to settled back four which we now have barring injury , we have options in midfield where Stanton and Tiawo have worked there way into pole position .We have options up front but think we don't have the answer yet as no one is scoring regularly enough to guarantee we can get sixth .We need St. Johnstone to hit a form slump ,so we can get our noses in front again . Think they still have a game in hand against us so we need to now go on another run of not getting beat for four or five games .The Killie game will be a good test as we beat them comfortably at Easter Rd recently so we know we can beat them

SkintHibby
17-02-2014, 04:25 AM
We are too rubbish to make top 6.

MWHIBBIES
17-02-2014, 05:55 AM
We are too rubbish to make top 6.We really aren't considering St Johnstone and Yogis ICT are in it.

GreenCastle
25-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Played same number of games and 3 points behind - St Johnstone have better goal difference also so really 4 points at least needed to overtake them.

Still possible - March will be the real test for who wants to make it.

AL-Qaholik
25-02-2014, 08:37 PM
I really wish people would stop pretending that "Top 6" is some sort of an achievement...

Scottie
25-02-2014, 08:42 PM
I really wish people would stop pretending that "Top 6" is some sort of an achievement...

Spot on it's embarrassing :agree:

eastterrace
25-02-2014, 08:42 PM

it is when you have a hefty bet on it, so maybe you dont care but sure as hell i do.

ekhibee
25-02-2014, 08:43 PM
IMO there's too much deadwood in our team to finish in the top 6, and in any case St Johnstone and Inverness both won tonight. Not Butcher's fault, but this team just simply aren't good enough, with the exception of Stanton and the loan deals. Just my opinion though.

Jonnyboy
25-02-2014, 08:44 PM

This won't be a popular view I'm sure but if finishing bottom six is the disaster many proclaim it will be then surely top six is some kind of achievement?

BTW before ~I get shot down in flames I agree we should be doing a lot better than we are

Elephant Stone
25-02-2014, 08:46 PM
it is when you have a hefty bet on it, so maybe you dont care but sure as hell i do.

Me too, still 7 games to play, not over by a long shot!

GreenCastle
25-02-2014, 08:53 PM

Who said it's an achievement ?

Also it's better than bottom 6 = less money and revenue from visiting fans.

We should be challenging for 2nd in this mickey mouse league with a poor yams team and no sevco.

eastterrace
25-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Who said it's an achievement ?

Also it's better than bottom 6 = less money and revenue from visiting fans.

We should be challenging for 2nd in this mickey mouse league with a poor yams team and no sevco.

agree with you, how cans teams on crowds of 3 or 4 thousand on a good day be well ahead of us, its piss poor management from our lot.butcher got to get it right or we will be getting 3 or 4 thousand on a good day.

Hibernianinc
25-02-2014, 09:02 PM
I think we're just too inconsistent to get the results required in the remaining games. Tonight was a bad result for us.

However, get a win at the PBS and beat st j and we'd be right in the mix.

Hammering an already relegated herts at ER would be consolation for another season of under achievement.

B.H.F.C
25-02-2014, 09:12 PM
St Jonstone have Sheep and Utd away in there next two games so I'd think they'll drop points somewhere. We have to capitalise if they do although we have some hard games coming up ourselves.

Getting in to the top 6 isn't any great achievement but you get some extra cash and we are going to need every penny we can get come the summer. We are already losing derby income next year and season tickets will likely be down. It would also show Butcher has us moving in the right direction which may encourage a few extra renewals so I think it's important.

Hibby70
25-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Not too bothered if we end up bottom 6. Derby at Easter Road and we'll involved in games with teams fighting over the playoff spots so it will remain more exciting than normal

half.time.draw.
25-02-2014, 09:24 PM
No chance. The team is too inconsistent.
This season is experience for the big push in next season.

Cameron1875
25-02-2014, 09:52 PM
It will be very tight but it doesn't really make a difference. We'd probs make more money from playing Hearts at Easter Road again anyway

GreenCastle
25-02-2014, 09:56 PM
It will be very tight but it doesn't really make a difference. We'd probs make more money from playing Hearts at Easter Road again anyway

I think we may make more money from visiting supports from Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Celtic or possibly Motherwell - not from St J or ICT.

Bottom 6 - yams may bring a few...(they will be relegated by then so may boycott) but others probably not many as nothing to play for!

Sir David Gray
25-02-2014, 10:04 PM

Sorry but I just don't agree with that at all.

We would probably make more money next season in the Championship with playing Hearts and Sevco twice each at Easter Road next year than we would in the Premiership, with only one guaranteed category A game guaranteed next year.

I certainly wouldn't want to be relegated though.

Why would the Hearts fans turn up at Easter Road for that game anyway, when they'll almost certainly be relegated by then?

No danger they would come close to selling their end.

Ronniekirk
25-02-2014, 10:07 PM
I think we're just too inconsistent to get the results required in the remaining games. Tonight was a bad result for us.

However, get a win at the PBS and beat st j and we'd be right in the mix.

Hammering an already relegated herts at ER would be consolation for another season of under achievement.

Your last paragraph would be appealing if we could make it happen but in three attempts so far we haven't demolished them so far and the games against us will be the only motivation they have left .The difference in income between 6 th and seventh isn't huge and we will end up in ome of those positions ,don't see us slipping back the way now .

But T B has gone on record as saying he wants top six so the danger I if we don't make it could be he loses some credibility and that might affect players choices if it comes to choosing us over one of the more established top six teams .Another good result for Inverness so some of thier players that might have fancied jumping ship might just do what Vincent did and sign contract extension .

Fergus52
25-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Nope, what a silly thread.

We're a dead cert for the relegation play-off place, remember?

Boyle89
25-02-2014, 11:16 PM
With that rather surprising result, the task of making top 6 is getting harder. I fear if we don't take all 3 points on friday then we will have too much to do.

The Sea-gull
26-02-2014, 05:39 AM
With that rather surprising result, the task of making top 6 is getting harder. I fear if we don't take all 3 points on friday then we will have too much to do.

If we get beat on Friday there is no need for panic as St Johnstone have Aberdeen at Pittodrie on Saturday so they will probably get beat too. As long as we can keep the gap at three points going into last couple of games we have a chance though granted each week the gap remains at least 3 points, the less and less chance we have.

#FromTheCapital
26-02-2014, 08:03 AM
I think we may make more money from visiting supports from Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Celtic or possibly Motherwell - not from St J or ICT.

Bottom 6 - yams may bring a few...(they will be relegated by then so may boycott) but others probably not many as nothing to play for!

Disagree. Every team in this league bar Hearts, Celtic and to a lesser extent Aberdeen bring small crowds to Easter Road. If we get top 6, we'd be due to play Celtic at Parkhead, not sure about the sheep. A derby against hearts at Easter Road would draw in a few more hibs fans as well as a packed away end. We'd make more gate money from a bottom 6 finish although we'd be down on prize money.

PeeJay
26-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Voted yes, mainly because I hope we do - not really sure we can/will.

A finish outside the top 6 yet again is totally unacceptable for a club claiming to be a major player in Scotland ...

Jones28
26-02-2014, 08:12 AM
The trouble is that St Johnstone can pull a great result out the bag, we have really struggled against the teams above us this season.

We will finish up 7th

bigwheel
26-02-2014, 08:29 AM
we are the second lowest scorers in the league, that's what will hurt us this year....I can't see anything change on that score between now and the end of the season..So bottom 6 is my prediction.