PDA

View Full Version : Nelson

Cameron1875
15-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Absolute liability and got progressively worse the longer the season has gone imo. Shame cause Forster, Hanlon and Mcgivern were good today but he just doesn't inspire any confidence in that defence!

Thoughts?

HibeeLR
15-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Hate it when he lumps it up the park. Pointless.

Hiber-nation
15-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Absolute liability and got progressively worse the longer the season has gone imo. Shame cause Forster, Hanlon and Mcgivern were good today but he just doesn't inspire any confidence in that defence!

Thoughts?

I've lost count of the number of times he's been culpable for goals we've conceded but he played well enough today.

tamig
15-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Biggest problem for me with Nelson in last two games is that he's been dragged out to cover for Forster at right back. Thought he did ok today. He's a no-nonsense centre half - not a right back or a playmaker.

Tricla
15-02-2014, 06:34 PM

Thoughts?

I think we won so there's nowt to moan about.

The Sea-gull
15-02-2014, 06:40 PM
I think we won so there's nowt to moan about.

Of course not. We are suddenly in a great state now all because we won today.

Hibbyradge
15-02-2014, 06:41 PM

Thoughts?

I think that's utter nonsense.

Hibs were under pressure from an aerial bombardment for most of the second half and County had a team full of giants.

Nelson battled for every ball and won most of them.

Harris is as much use as a man short defensively and as tamig has pointed out, Nelson was forced to come across and cover for Forster. He doesn't look too comfortable when that happens, but he learned from his mistake last week and did well.

His passing isn't good, but Terry Butcher clearly thinks he inspires confidence as he gave him the captain's armband in Craig's absence today.

hibbymark
15-02-2014, 06:43 PM
He`s not perfect but for me Nelson and Hanlon are our best centre pairing by a mile. Nelson does what it says on the tin,a no nonsense centre half who is outstanding in the air and gives us a genuine threat at set pieces as well . As good as anyone we`ve had there for ages.

monktonharp
15-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Biggest problem for me with Nelson in last two games is that he's been dragged out to cover for Forster at right back. Thought he did ok today. He's a no-nonsense centre half - not a right back or a playmaker.think he played 10 times better than Forster! the whole right side was wrong today imho. I thought Forster was on the verge of giving away the points! Nelson couldnae hit a coo's erse wi a banjo, though.

Tricla
15-02-2014, 06:44 PM

Folks have forgotten how to enjoy a win these days.

Who cares who played how?

We won FFS.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-02-2014, 06:44 PM
I'm not gis biggest fan thats for sure, but he done well today. Just has to stop the aimless punts.

inglisavhibs
15-02-2014, 06:45 PM

Thoughts?

Rubbish, we defend corners and crosses better than we have for a while. Granted he's not the most mobile but he does the physical bit really well.

Gatecrasher
15-02-2014, 06:46 PM
I thought he done well today :confused:

SaulGoodman
15-02-2014, 06:47 PM

Just like how we're murder every time we get beat? :zzzzz!:

Bishop Hibee
15-02-2014, 06:47 PM
It'll be Forster and Hanlon at CH once we get a right back in the summer. Nelson will be decent cover for possible injuries and suspensions.

wookie70
15-02-2014, 06:48 PM

Thoughts?
I thought the weak link in defense today was Forster but to be fair he got no help from Harris. Nelson is a decent defender when he is against a striker who is facing his own goal but struggles when they are running at him which happened a few times today. Hanlon saved Nelson a few times today.

From what I have seen this year this is our best back four. McGivern and Stevenson look good on the left and interchange well when needed. Hanlon is the best CH we have had in years and generally Nelson is decent although I agree he has been shakier of late. I like Forster but he looks all at sea when he is faced with tricky wingers and teams are starting to play balls in between him and our centre halves as he is slow on the turn and not too quick thereafter. It would be interesting to see how Jordan would play if he had someone as energetic and game wise as Stevenson in front of him.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-02-2014, 06:50 PM
It'll be Forster and Hanlon at CH once we get a right back in the summer. Nelson will be decent cover for possible injuries and suspensions.

Unless we sign a CB in the summer:wink:

tamig
15-02-2014, 07:00 PM
I thought the weak link in defense today was Forster but to be fair he got no help from Harris. Nelson is a decent defender when he is against a striker who is facing his own goal but struggles when they are running at him which happened a few times today. Hanlon saved Nelson a few times today.

From what I have seen this year this is our best back four. McGivern and Stevenson look good on the left and interchange well when needed. Hanlon is the best CH we have had in years and generally Nelson is decent although I agree he has been shakier of late. I like Forster but he looks all at sea when he is faced with tricky wingers and teams are starting to play balls in between him and our centre halves as he is slow on the turn and not too quick thereafter. It would be interesting to see how Jordan would play if he had someone as energetic and game wise as Stevenson in front of him.

We may find out soon enough re last bit as I think Harris is far from ready to start games yet. There were more than a few occasions today when it looked like Harris held back in challenges which could have ended up costing us. Lots on here have been going on about Harris and Watmore being our wide players - dismissing Lewis as per usual. Watmore and Lewis should be our regular wide men in my view and Harris needs nursed back - through the under 20s if need be.

The Sea-gull
15-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Just like how we're murder every time we get beat? :zzzzz!:

Na, we've been murder for ages. Don't need a defeat to confirm that.

RIP
15-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Good defender but lumps every pass straight to an opposition defender setting up another wave of attack

Bishop Hibee
15-02-2014, 07:05 PM

If Butcher can find better then great but we'll need a keeper, right back, wide player, central midfielder and two forwards before we sign new centre halves in my opinion.

Hibbyradge
15-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Good defender but lumps every pass straight to an opposition defender setting up another wave of attack

As did Stanton, Forster and Hanlon.

MWHIBBIES
15-02-2014, 07:12 PM
It'll be Forster and Hanlon at CH once we get a right back in the summer. Nelson will be decent cover for possible injuries and suspensions.Forster and Hanlon has been much worse than Nelson and Hanlon this season, remember the ICT game at home?

Ricky Bobby
15-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Thought he was ok today, as a few on here have already said his distribution needs to improve.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2014, 07:47 PM

Thoughts?

You don't like Nelson and couldn't have watched him today.

gaz1875
15-02-2014, 07:48 PM
His distribution is poor especially at the start of a game for some reason. One thing for sure any other partnership at the back would loose more goals. He wins his fair share of headers and covers well. Also pointed out at the match he wins more headers in the opponents box at corners/free kicks than any other Hibs player I can remember!!

For me one of the first picks.

Smiggy 7-0
15-02-2014, 07:54 PM
His distribution is poor especially at the start of a game for some reason. One thing for sure any other partnership at the back would loose more goals. He wins his fair share of headers and covers well. Also pointed out at the match he wins more headers in the opponents box at corners/free kicks than any othe Hibs player I can remember!!

For me one of the first picks. Just needs to cut out the aimless punts, he just needs to give it to someone who can pick a pass.

Billy Whizz
15-02-2014, 07:59 PM

I think we need a centre back in the summer to partner Hanlon

ancient hibee
15-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Nelson is a limited player but the best part of his game is stopping the opposition scoring and he's pretty fair at that.Forster wasn't too sound today but it's not his natural position.Harris has obviously lost confidence but still set up a good goal chance for Handling.Ross County are an awkward team to play against so I thought we did ok.

theonlywayisup
15-02-2014, 08:04 PM

Thoughts?

I bet you are the type of 'supporter' who latches on to a negative and can't see any positive in the player.

Nelson makes the odd mistake, but generally does much more good than wrong.

I am happy that Nelson is at Hibs.

SMAXXA
15-02-2014, 08:16 PM
easy target, Forster has been hopeless for weeks yet he's devoid of criticism because he's young and came through the ranks.

Winston Ingram
15-02-2014, 08:24 PM
I really don't rate the guy.

His distribution is probably up there with worst I've ever seen from a Hibs CB.

On top of that for an experienced CB he makes some really amateur errors. There was a header today from a throw which he was unchallenged and looped to the edge of his own box.

Judas Iscariot
15-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Poor mans McPake

Ricky Bobby
15-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Poor mans McPake

You cant seriously be saying you would rather have McPake in before Nelson. Nelson is a far more steadying influence on Hanlon than McPake.

dave62
15-02-2014, 08:35 PM
easy target, Forster has been hopeless for weeks yet he's devoid of criticism because he's young and came through the ranks.

Not true. Plenty people picked up on Forster's poor performance against Raith.

I'm not a Nelson fan, but for what it's worth I thought played okay today.

Albanian Hibs
15-02-2014, 08:38 PM

Thoughts?

I think Forster is the weak link at the moment IMO

SMAXXA
15-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Not true. Plenty people picked up on Forster's poor performance against Raith.

I'm not a Nelson fan, but for what it's worth I thought played okay today.

I wasn't I about raith I was up at UTD and a few other games in between and he's been been poor, that is true.

Beefster
15-02-2014, 08:48 PM

Stanton didn't but I'll give you Forster and Hanlon today. The major difference between them and Nelson is that Nelson does it every single week. I'd wager that he loses possession in excess of 75% of the time that he tries to pass the ball more than 10 yards. Okay defender but the worst passer of a ball that I've seen as a first pick at Hibs in a while.

Crab apple
15-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Biggest problem for me with Nelson in last two games is that he's been dragged out to cover for Forster at right back. Thought he did ok today. He's a no-nonsense centre half - not a right back or a playmaker.

That's the way I see it too. We are definitely weaker down the right side with the Harris and Forster combination. County exploited this in the second half as Raith did last week. I thought Nelson did okay today, unlike last week.

RyeSloan
15-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Nelson is fine defending high balls and when he is facing the play in then CH position.

But when he has to cover and has players running at him he gets passed far too often by standing too square. Happened in the derby and today at least twice. Also his distribution is not even worth the name really.

Limited player that has limited use (I.e the rest of this season)....I like his desire and aggression though and he never seems to let his head go down so far from the worst CH we've seen. But think we have to be honest and say we should be looking for someone a bit more effective if we want to improve.

dave62
15-02-2014, 09:11 PM
I wasn't I about raith I was up at UTD and a few other games in between and he's been been poor, that is true.

I agree he has been poor, but I disagree with you that people give him a free ride. In any event I'd like to see him back at centre half sooner or later.

Judas Iscariot
15-02-2014, 09:22 PM
You cant seriously be saying you would rather have McPake in before Nelson. Nelson is a far more steadying influence on Hanlon than McPake.

Shake & bake big boabster, I'm being 100% serious

A fully fit McPake is a far better player & a inspirational influence on Hanlon & the rest of the squad

Hibbyradge
15-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Stanton didn't but I'll give you Forster and Hanlon today. The major difference between them and Nelson is that Nelson does it every single week. I'd wager that he loses possession in excess of 75% of the time that he tries to pass the ball more than 10 yards. Okay defender but the worst passer of a ball that I've seen as a first pick at Hibs in a while.

Not much point arguing about this as we're never going to see the whole game again, but I assure you, Sam Stanton was as guilty as the rest of thumping the ball aimlessly upfield in vain attempts to clear it.

However, you're right that Nelson's distribution is consistently poor.

Tricla
15-02-2014, 09:33 PM

A fully fit McPake is a far better player & a inspirational influence on Hanlon & the rest of the squad

Aye right. Mcpake, hanlon and the while squad were **** hot before mcpake got injured.

Nelson was part of a defence that was unbeaten in 9 before hanlon and mcgivern got injured and I'm ok with him there.

Hibbyradge
15-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Aye right. Mcpake, hanlon and the while squad were **** hot before mcpake got injured.

Nelson was part of a defence that was unbeaten in 9 before hanlon and mcgivern got injured and I'm ok with him there.

McPake was in the Malmo 7 - 0 team.

Nelson came in after that game and the defence steadied significantly.

Ricky Bobby
15-02-2014, 09:37 PM

It just shows how differently everyone sees things, i would see it as a step backwards to play Mcpake before any of our other centre backs.

Jonnyboy
15-02-2014, 09:37 PM

You jest, surely?

Ricky Bobby
15-02-2014, 09:40 PM

Agree.

I think Mcpake panicked the whole defence by diving in at every opportunity during the Malmo game before injuring himself and going off.

Hibbyradge
15-02-2014, 09:42 PM
You jest, surely?

No, I'm not joking. I wouldn't have said it if I hadn't witnessed it.

There were several occasions when the ball came to Sam standing around our 18 yard line, when he just turned and thumped the ball blindly up the park.

I remember the comment being made that Stanton is going to be a good 'un, but he's young and still lacks composure.

Jonnyboy
15-02-2014, 09:44 PM
No, I'm not joking. I wouldn't have said it if I hadn't witnessed it.

There were several occasions when the ball came to Sam standing around our 18 yard line, when he just turned and thumped the ball blindly up the park.

I remember the comment being made that Stanton is going to be a good 'un, but he's young and still lacks composure.

He did in the latter stages because they were pushing forward looking for an equaliser. Your original post could have been construed as him having done it the whole game which is why I asked the question? :wink:

leggeto
15-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Hate it when he lumps it up the park. Pointless.

seems to be a bad habit with our defenders,if your not under pressure you don't have to hoof it,at least there was no individual errors today that has cost us in the past

Hibbyradge
15-02-2014, 09:50 PM
He did in the latter stages because they were pushing forward looking for an equaliser. Your original post could have been construed as him having done it the whole game which is why I asked the question? :wink:

I definitely remember him doing so before and after the break.

The "lacks composure" quote was made in the first half.

Anyway, my initial point wasn't intended as an attack on SS. I was deflecting critisism from another player.

These MB communications aren't half complicated! :greengrin

tamig
15-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Agree.

I think Mcpake panicked the whole defence by diving in at every opportunity during the Malmo game before injuring himself and going off.

And don't forget his outlandish diving header 6 inches off the deck that led to tattoo man's winner in the League Cup. Nelson and Hanlon are without doubt our best central defensive pairing at the moment.

MeldrumHibby
15-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Perhaps if he had someone in position to pass to he wouldn't feel the need to hoof it up the pitch. Just saying like.:hmmm:

Judas Iscariot
15-02-2014, 09:53 PM

McPake was nowhere near fit, never mind fully fit then

Ricky Bobby
15-02-2014, 09:55 PM
And don't forget his outlandish diving header 6 inches off the deck that led to tattoo man's winner in the League Cup. Nelson and Hanlon are without doubt our best central defensive pairing at the moment.

Hanlon has looked far more composed playing alongside Nelson than he ever did with Mcpake.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2014, 09:57 PM
I've lost count of the number of times I've heard it said " We need a no nonsense centre half who takes no prisoners and clears his lines" in Nelson we have just that, he is what he is and pretty good at it.

wookie70
15-02-2014, 10:13 PM
I like having a no-nonsense CH who clears his lines and the 60 yard blooters don't concern me too much when he is under pressure. He should play it short when he is not under pressure though and today he schlaffed a good few clearances and also dangerously spun one towards his own goal. He needs to work on his left foot in my opinion as he struggles with blooters using his weaker foot. We do have a decent record when today's back four are fielded defenses usually get better when they play together and get used to each other.

Hibbyradge
15-02-2014, 10:18 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11792/9168639/terry-butcher-praises-youngster-sam-stanton-after-hibernians-win-over-ross-county

TBs views on Nelson too.

tamig
15-02-2014, 10:24 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11792/9168639/terry-butcher-praises-youngster-sam-stanton-after-hibernians-win-over-ross-county

TBs views on Nelson too.
Very good to read that.

Thecat23
15-02-2014, 10:33 PM
I like Nelson, but his pointless punting up the park is tiresome. I still prefer him to McPake and think Hanlon plays better alongside Nelson. As some pointed out Forster has been poor for me. He's caught out of position a lot but with more games under his belt he'll learn from his mistakes.

Ricky Bobby
15-02-2014, 10:36 PM

TBs views on Nelson too.

Perhaps Terry will let Nelson keep the captains armband, as Craigs' form has been poor to say the least since he was given the captaincy.

RIP Bestie
15-02-2014, 10:38 PM
think he played 10 times better than Forster! the whole right side was wrong today imho. I thought Forster was on the verge of giving away the points! Nelson couldnae hit a coo's erse wi a banjo, though.
Forster is not a right back. We are going to end up blowing the laddie's confidence and ruining his potential if we continue playing him there. If he's not ready to start games as a centre half, put him on the bench and give him part games or send him out on loan. Let him develop. Fed up seeing us ruin young players by playing them out of position.

Ricky Bobby
15-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Forster is not a right back. We are going to end up blowing the laddie's confidence and ruining his potential if we continue playing him there. If he's not ready to start games as a centre half, put him on the bench and give him part games or send him out on loan. Let him develop. Fed up seeing us ruin young players by playing them out of position.

You are right, Forster is not a right back and is suffering because he is being played out of position, unfortunately we are short in that department. A priority for Butcher in the next transfer window.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-02-2014, 10:48 PM

:top marks

Hermit Crab
15-02-2014, 10:54 PM
His distribution is pish. Tackles and headers well.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Only one way to settle it. Someone set up a "Nelson or McPake" poll.

RIP Bestie
15-02-2014, 11:01 PM
You are right, Forster is not a right back and is suffering because he is being played out of position, unfortunately we are short in that department. A priority for Butcher in the next transfer window.
I thought that Boateng was brought in for that. I would also prefer to play Maybury there than destroy a promising young player. Look at the plaudits Forster was getting at the tail end of last season playing in his best position. You just need to look at this thread to see that it is becoming obvious he will never be a right back.

RIP Bestie
15-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Neither are good enough. Nelson is in possession just now and he will do until we can bring in better. Other options are McGivern or Forster.
Bringing McPake back in would be taking a massive step backwards. He is a bombscare IMO.

Itsnoteasy
16-02-2014, 01:25 AM

:top marks

Itsnoteasy
16-02-2014, 01:26 AM

Neither

Nomeancity
16-02-2014, 01:39 AM

Nelson with Hanlon were solid at first. Expecting the same once Hanlon is back up to speed. Ok Nelson hoofs it up the park, but we are not Barcelona. I'd much prefer a centre half who commands the area which I think he was not bad at with Hanlon.

lucky
16-02-2014, 06:10 AM
Nelson is a old fashioned CH. Plays well when teams are direct. Forster is struggling at RB, especially in the last few games, so Nelson is having to cover for him but is not the most mobile. Forster is getting vital 1st team experience and it's not unusual for young CHs to played at FB whilst developing. He will only get better for the experience. Forster is struggling because Harris has been completely off the boil since he came back. He is nursing himself back but shirking tackles and lack of bottle is putting Forster under pressure as he is facing 2v1s a lot. This leads to Nelson being dragged out of position. So whilst our defence is getting the blame it's actually further up the park where the problems are.

JimBHibees
16-02-2014, 08:10 AM

Agree totally he is a decent defender and no doubt his distribution could be better however would rather he punt the ball than lose it at the edge of our box. The hysterical girly squeals when his passes didn't go where they should have was more embarressing.

JimBHibees
16-02-2014, 08:12 AM

Disagree totally he is doing ok at full back but is young and still learning. Better than what other options we have.

Beefster
16-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Agree totally he is a decent defender and no doubt his distribution could be better however would rather he punt the ball than lose it at the edge of our box. The hysterical girly squeals when his passes didn't go where they should have was more embarressing.

That would be a valid argument if the only two options were 'hoof it aimlessly back to the opposition' or 'lose it at the edge of the box'. He could try passing it to a team-mate.

Winston Ingram
16-02-2014, 10:59 AM

I would. Maybe not the injured McPake of the last year but the uninjured one from his first season absolutely

Winston Ingram
16-02-2014, 11:10 AM

Struggling to see the relevance of that point. McPake went off injured at 1-0. :confused:

Hibbyradge
16-02-2014, 12:15 PM
That would be a valid argument if the only two options were 'hoof it aimlessly back to the opposition' or 'lose it at the edge of the box'. He could try passing it to a team-mate.

The thing for me is that County threw everything they could at our defence, but we restricted them to one or 2 half chances.

That suggests they're doing something right at the back.

Beefster
16-02-2014, 01:11 PM
The thing for me is that County threw everything they could at our defence, but we restricted them to one or 2 half chances.

That suggests they're doing something right at the back.

Bear in mind that we were playing Ross County but my main issue with Nelson isn't his defending really (although I think he's a bottom six defender). It's the knowledge that, as soon as he has the ball at his feet and looks up, we're going to lose possession most of the time. I think we had a similar debate about him a month or two back when I said that the distribution out of defence is a big part of the reason why we are amongst the lowest scorers in the league.

At the moment, we need improvement. That's evidently not going to happen without changing some of the team. Nelson's just one of the ones that I think will need to be replaced.

Diclonius
16-02-2014, 01:19 PM

Thoughts?

Did we lose yesterday or something?

DC_Hibs
16-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Nelson will be a first pick for the rest of the season.
First and foremost Butcher will pick what he believes to be the most solid defence and him and Hanlon in the centre are certs unless of injury or suspensions. His distribution is of secondary importance albeit it is an important part of the game.

He won't be there next season though.

Disagree and debate all you want but Hanlon and Nelson will be there for the majority of the next X number of games until the end of the season.

emerald green
16-02-2014, 03:27 PM
His distribution is pish. Tackles and headers well.

Agree with this, but I would also add that I've seen milk turn quicker. Always gives 100% though. Not nearly the worst centre back I've seen at ER. Remember "stinker" Murdoch?

The Sea-gull
16-02-2014, 03:31 PM
McPake should be binned. Keep Nelson and Forster for the squad and sign a new, experienced, first XI spl quality centre half to play alongside Hanlon.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 03:36 PM
McPake should be binned. Keep Nelson and Forster for the squad and sign a new, experienced, first XI spl quality centre half to play alongside Hanlon.

Dillon, McManus, Meekings or Gunning would do me.

Hibbyradge
16-02-2014, 03:42 PM
I think we had a similar debate about him a month or two back when I said that the distribution out of defence is a big part of the reason why we are amongst the lowest scorers in the league.

I remember when you said that. I don't think I replied at the time, but I did think it was an interesting point. You could well be right.

My point is that our defence was too easily bullied before Nelson arrived. Thankfully, he now gives us real dig and presence at the back, and at set pieces, but he is limited.

It's actually hard to understand how a football player can pass so badly, so consistently!

Unseen work
16-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Dillon, McManus, Meekings or Gunning would do me.

Sean Dillon? Really?

Unseen work
16-02-2014, 04:09 PM
I remember when you said that. I don't think I replied at the time, but I did think it was an interesting point. You could well be right.

My point is that our defence was too easily bullied before Nelson arrived. Thankfully, he now gives us real dig and presence at the back, and at set pieces, but he is limited.

It's actually hard to understand how a football player can pass so badly, so consistently!
Thing is no one is asking for him to do a difficult pass, a simple pass to right back or get a centre mid to drop deep and give it to them

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Sean Dillon? Really?

He said an experienced SPL CB?

Ricky Bobby
16-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Tin hat on here, What about Jim Goodwin.

:duck:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Tin hat on here, What about Jim Goodwin.

:duck:

Nah he's a thug and rejected us when Fenlon wanted him.

Saorsa
16-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Nah he's a thug and rejected us when Fenlon wanted him.A lucky escape.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 04:43 PM
A lucky escape.

Oh aye:agree:

Unseen work
16-02-2014, 04:44 PM
He said an experienced SPL CB?

He said quality centre back ;) to me Dillons not a centre half and not what we need, does he ever get a game for Dundee United at centre half? Always thought of him more as a right back?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 04:48 PM
He said quality centre back ;) to me Dillons not a centre half and not what we need, does he ever get a game for Dundee United at centre half? Always thought of him more as a right back?

A "first XI quality Centre half" :wink: dont know bud.

Ronniekirk
16-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Bear in mind that we were playing Ross County but my main issue with Nelson isn't his defending really (although I think he's a bottom six defender). It's the knowledge that, as soon as he has the ball at his feet and looks up, we're going to lose possession most of the time. I think we had a similar debate about him a month or two back when I said that the distribution out of defence is a big part of the reason why we are amongst the lowest scorers in the league.

At the moment, we need improvement. That's evidently not going to happen without changing some of the team. Nelson's just one of the ones that I think will need to be replaced.

Butcher has already gone on record saying that's not the way he wants the game played and he hasn't instructed the players to do this .Nelson is a no nonsense defender but finding a Hibs player with a long ball forward is never going to be part of his game ,so on that basis I would expect Butcher to have that position and right back as two areas he needs to prioritise in the summer. also agree Foster looked better last season in the middle .He has given him a new contract so assume he will stick with him this season at right back unless the new guy can displace him .Be interesting where he starts next season .

Ronniekirk
16-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Nah he's a thug and rejected us when Fenlon wanted him.

Defo no for us needs subbed every other week to avoid getting sent off

Aldo
16-02-2014, 05:13 PM
I would like to think TB and the gang have certain players in mind. Had anyone heard of Meekjngs or Warren or Mackay before they signed for ICT.

Hopefully Butchers reputation in the game wi persuade some players who may not of come North to do so.

EastCalderHibby
16-02-2014, 05:23 PM
think he played 10 times better than forster! The whole right side was wrong today imho. I thought forster was on the verge of giving away the points! Nelson couldnae hit a coo's erse wi a banjo, though.

100% correct

QMU-1875
16-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Think Nelson is a great no nonsense centre half. Does a job for us.

EastCalderHibby
16-02-2014, 05:28 PM

iF 100% FIT would have to be mc pake for me

Hibbyradge
16-02-2014, 05:38 PM
When has McPake done to deserve such adulation?

I can't ever remember him playing brilliantly for Hibs. :confused:

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2014, 05:41 PM
McPake is a poor man's Nelson.

EastCalderHibby
16-02-2014, 05:43 PM

I can't ever remember him playing brilliantly for Hibs. :confused:

You did'nt go to games verry often when he 1st signed then

Ricky Bobby
16-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Nelson over Mcpake every day of the week for me

Ricky Bobby
16-02-2014, 05:48 PM

When Mcpake first came to Hibs we needed somebody to put their body on the line and win last gasp challenges, we have moved on and are now looking for a decent defender who can keep the young lads composed. Hanlon was like a headless chicken playing alongside Mcpake, it's no coincidence that he has looked a better player with Nelson.

Hibbyradge
16-02-2014, 06:01 PM

:faf:

Which games do you remember him being outstanding in?

EastCalderHibby
16-02-2014, 06:29 PM

Which games do you remember him being outstanding in?

I did not say he was outstandin. but he was one of our best players that season
and based on that seasons play i rated him better than nelson.

Hibbyradge
16-02-2014, 06:44 PM
I did not say he was outstandin

Ok. You're entitled to your opinion (even if it's wrong :greengrin ).

However, you slagged me off for saying that I didn't remember him playing all that brilliantly.

He made a difference to a powder puff defence when he arrived, but he was nothing special.

In my (correct) opinion. :wink:

GreenOnions
16-02-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm sorry but there's no way Nelson is good enough for the level Hibs should be aiming at. He is good at defending and attacking set plays and that is certainly something we have needed. However, there are more negatives than plusses for me. I think Nelson has been either wholly or partly responsible for more goals against than any other player this season. It started in the games against Motherwell and Dundee United at home and has continued since then.

I also agree with an earlier poster that his deficiencies affect the team's approach as a whole and not just his own performance. His chronic lack of pace cause the defence to sit a lot deeper than I would like - thus creating a lot more space in midfield when the opposition have the ball - tho exact opposite of what we would want. His poor distribution will clearly result in lost impetus going forward and needlessly surrendering possession simply generates more pressure on our defence.

I accept that Forster is not perfect at right back. However, that's because a) he's still a young lad and b) he's a central defender. The question I just can't answer is why on earth Forster wasn't first choice beside Hanlon at the start of this season. I know he was suspended for the first league game but IMO he should have been straight back in at centre half after that.

I thought he and Hanlon were excellent together late last season and looked to me like our best central defensive pairing. He will certainly lack Nelson's experience but he is strong and has much more pace and better distribution.

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm sorry but there's no way Nelson is good enough for the level Hibs should be aiming at. He is good at defending and attacking set plays and that is certainly something we have needed. However, there are more negatives than plusses for me. I think Nelson has been either wholly or partly responsible for more goals against than any other player this season. It started in the games against Motherwell and Dundee United at home and has continued since then.

I also agree with an earlier poster that his deficiencies affect the team's approach as a whole and not just his own performance. His chronic lack of pace cause the defence to sit a lot deeper than I would like - thus creating a lot more space in midfield when the opposition have the ball - tho exact opposite of what we would want. His poor distribution will clearly result in lost impetus going forward and needlessly surrendering possession simply generates more pressure on our defence.

I accept that Forster is not perfect at right back. However, that's because a) he's still a young lad and b) he's a central defender. The question I just can't answer is why on earth Forster wasn't first choice beside Hanlon at the start of this season. I know he was suspended for the first league game but IMO he should have been straight back in at centre half after that.

I thought he and Hanlon were excellent together late last season and looked to me like our best central defensive pairing. He will certainly lack Nelson's experience but he is strong and has much more pace and better distribution.

Never mind the level we should be aiming at! What about the level we are currently at and struggling at that. Nelson is more than good enough for this Hibs team, lets worry about another team at a higher level when we are in a position to progress which looks unlikely this side of another transfer window.

EastCalderHibby
16-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Ok. You're entitled to your opinion (even if it's wrong :greengrin ).

However, you slagged me off for saying that I didn't remember him playing all that brilliantly.

He made a difference to a powder puff defence when he arrived, but he was nothing special.

In my (correct) opinion. :wink:

:not worth

Dashing Bob S
16-02-2014, 07:51 PM
Nelson's a rugged no nonsense centre half coming towards the end of his playing days. Nobody is claiming that he's a long term solution, but he's doing a decent job for us. I think Hanlon and Forster have visibly benefited from playing alongside him.

I'm all for aspiration, but we need to put the Barca complex on hold for a bit and realise that progress in always incremental. I'm more than happy for the management team to deem who is suitable and who superfluous to our short and long term needs.

Holmesdale Hibs
16-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Nelson over Mcpake every day of the week for me

Depends what McPake is on offer. McPake from his first season would win every time, but McPake at the moment isn't fit so Nelson wins through default.

I think Nelson is alright. No nonsense defender and have no problems at all with him starting. He can't pass but that's not his job. Does enough to keep his place in the team IMO.

RIP Bestie
16-02-2014, 11:46 PM
I did and I agree with Hibbyradge

RIP Bestie
16-02-2014, 11:51 PM
When Mcpake first came to Hibs we needed somebody to put their body on the line and win last gasp challenges, we have moved on and are now looking for a decent defender who can keep the young lads composed. Hanlon was like a headless chicken playing alongside Mcpake, it's no coincidence that he has looked a better player with Nelson.
100% this. McPake should not get near our first team again

I'm_cabbaged
17-02-2014, 06:10 AM
Unfortunately saying that he's better than mcpake doesn't make him a good player.

MWHIBBIES
17-02-2014, 06:31 AM
I like Nelson, but his pointless punting up the park is tiresome. I still prefer him to McPake and think Hanlon plays better alongside Nelson. As some pointed out Forster has been poor for me. He's caught out of position a lot but with more games under his belt he'll learn from his mistakes.Surely if Butcher was telling him to pass it out he would be?

MWHIBBIES
17-02-2014, 06:36 AM

I can't ever remember him playing brilliantly for Hibs. :confused:He was top class at the end of the 2011/2012 season, don't lie.

Brightside
17-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Butcher has already gone on record saying that's not the way he wants the game played and he hasn't instructed the players to do this .Nelson is a no nonsense defender but finding a Hibs player with a long ball forward is never going to be part of his game ,so on that basis I would expect Butcher to have that position and right back as two areas he needs to prioritise in the summer. also agree Foster looked better last season in the middle .He has given him a new contract so assume he will stick with him this season at right back unless the new guy can displace him .Be interesting where he starts next season .

I wish he'd tell our Goalie this also. Sick of seeing everying ball punted up to nowhere. Forster is a CB, he see's himself as a CB and he knows he is only filling in at RB for now. I'd expect Forster and Hanlon to be the partnership long term.

Hibbyradge
17-02-2014, 09:42 AM
don't lie.

Why would I lie?

He wasn't top class. He was simply better than most of a defence which included Stephens, Francombe, O'Hanlon and Hart.

matty_f
17-02-2014, 10:34 AM
He was top class at the end of the 2011/2012 season, don't lie.

Got to agree with this. Sitting here not quite sure if I just imagined the McPake that arrived on loan at Hibs and was brilliant for us. He dragged is through games at that point and was the significant factor in us staying up. Folk were going on about man-crushes at the time, and the clamour to have him sign permanently was massive.

To sit reading that he was never brilliant for us is just confusing.

J-C
17-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Nelson is no nonsense but rank rotten when it comes to distribution, I think you'll see Forster there next season with a new RB coming in.

Hibbyradge
17-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Got to agree with this. Sitting here not quite sure if I just imagined the McPake that arrived on loan at Hibs and was brilliant for us. He dragged is through games at that point and was the significant factor in us staying up. Folk were going on about man-crushes at the time, and the clamour to have him sign permanently was massive.

To sit reading that he was never brilliant for us is just confusing.

Perceptions, eh?

I think Hibs only won once at Easter Road after he arrived on loan (I was on a flight when we beat Dunfermline) so although I could see he had added some steel to the defence, he never struck me other than an improvement. I didn't go to any away games.

If you saw more of him than me and were impressed, fair enough. I can only base my judgement on what I saw.

I'd like to think he'll recover from his injury. If he does, and we keep him, maybe he'll recover the form that made him such a hot prospect early on in his career.

Sadly, I doubt he'll play for us again.