PDA

View Full Version : Stanton (merged)

SaulGoodman
15-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Class

California-Hibs
15-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Deserves a thread of his own, the boy has played the last 3 games in a row, scoring 2, creating chances and pulling the strings in the middle of the park, I think he has been outstanding. His Griffiths-style freekick today was a beauty. Hopefully he keeps this kind of form up, has firmly cemented his placed in centre midfield now. Oh, and THAT drag-back turn leaving the two County boys for dead..:not worth

Well done sam!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-02-2014, 05:12 PM
What a player he is going to be, strolled the game today. Get him tied down on a lengthy contract. If I know him like I do he would have very much enjoyed that goal & would love to stay here as long as he can. Over to you Hibs.

Take a bow Sam:agree:

brog
15-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Deserves a thread of his own, the boy has played the last 3 games in a row, scoring 2, creating chances and pulling the strings in the middle of the park, I think he has been outstanding. His Griffiths-style freekick today was a beauty. Hopefully he keeps this kind of form up, has firmly cemented his placed in centre midfield now. Oh, and THAT drag-back turn leaving the two County boys for dead..:not worth

Well done sam!

So good he's got 3 threads!! :hibees

Ronniekirk
15-02-2014, 05:34 PM
What a player he is going to be, strolled the game today. Get him tied down on a lengthy contract. If I know him like I do he would have very much enjoyed that goal & would love to stay here as long as he can. Over to you Hibs.

Take a bow Sam:agree:
He is under contract till end of next season I think so new contract in the summer a certainty you would think He is still young so he needs to look for consistency between now and end of season .The current form is probably not realistic to keep up but I can live with that .Interesting he can rise to occasion without so called experienced players like Craig and Robertson .

PeterboroHibee
15-02-2014, 05:41 PM
He looks like a very special player, and Im delighted hes finally been given his chance in the team. Even at 19 he looks to be technically one of the better players in our squad, which is pleasing that these sort of guys are coming through.

Unseen work
15-02-2014, 05:42 PM
What a difference having a centre mid that can pass

Winston Ingram
15-02-2014, 05:46 PM
What a talent. How he hasn't played more games for us is mystifying. He sticks out like a sore thumb:agree:

inglisavhibs
15-02-2014, 05:49 PM
What a difference having a centre mid that can pass
Plenty can pass, but Sam has the ability to run with ball, beat a man and shoot, something we have not had in midfield. As he gets stronger with game time I have no doubt he will give us some great entertainment in the next few years.

HibsNutter
15-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Fenlon didn't even have him training with the first team...

Unseen work
15-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Plenty can pass, but Sam has the ability to run with ball, beat a man and shoot, something we have not had in midfield. As he gets stronger with game time I have no doubt he will give us some great entertainment in the next few years.

Disagree strongly that plenty can pass

S4uzee
15-02-2014, 06:07 PM

I'm sure he was injured for a bit, and if I do remember Fenlon did say he was the most technically gifted player he's seen

Davy Mac
15-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Fantastic to see a player who can pick up the ball, drive forward and use it with such affect.

Reads the game so well.

Sir David Gray
15-02-2014, 06:13 PM
I wasn't there today but I've seen enough of him over the last few weeks to be really excited by him.

He's possibly the most exciting talent to come through the ranks for about 6 or 7 years.

Really looking forward to seeing him develop.

Cameron1875
15-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Don't care what Pat says, Sammy is definitely related to him somehow! :greengrin

Cracking performance and a few superb passes out wide but just a shame our wingers weren't great at attacking today. Huge prospect.

Tyler Durden
15-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Thought Stanton started great but fell out of the game 2nd half. Superb free kick though and he must be full of confidence.

Thought it was a disciplined performance more than an outstanding game from him. Looks more comfortable in the number 10 role and I'd bring Craig back for Handling midweek to let Stanton play further forward.

Would be nice if our fans could show some patience with Alex Harris too incidentally. Just as promising a talent so let's try to support him back to form and fitness. People giving him abuse today because he wasn't flying into challenges with their LB, unbelievable.

EskbankHibby
15-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Rank according to the guy behind me. This was after a misplaced pass 90 seconds after he bent a cracker of a free kick into the top corner.

Fell out of it a wee bit in the second half.

The Voice Of Reason
15-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Wasn't at the game today, but based on the comments - "well done Sam" !

neil7908
15-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Looks a great prospect but we need to be careful - look at what a bad injury has done to Harris. That's not having a go at him but you have to be honest I'm saying he hasn't found his form yet. I have no doubt that with a bit of support and patience he'll come good but it's very hard for a young player to maintain their form, especially in a team like ours that are struggling a bit.

staunchhibby
15-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Well done Sam.peach of goal from free kick:thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
15-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Thought Stanton started great but fell out of the game 2nd half. Superb free kick though and he must be full of confidence.

Thought it was a disciplined performance more than an outstanding game from him. Looks more comfortable in the number 10 role and I'd bring Craig back for Handling midweek to let Stanton play further forward.

Would be nice if our fans could show some patience with Alex Harris too incidentally. Just as promising a talent so let's try to support him back to form and fitness. People giving him abuse today because he wasn't flying into challenges with their LB, unbelievable.

I could not agree more with all 3 points.

Well said.

He's never going to offer us much defensively, but he's got bags of attacking potential. The last thing he needs is idiots in the stands ruining his confidence by giving him abuse.

wookie70
15-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Thought he was fantastic for the first hour but fell out of it a wee bit later on. He looks to have real belief in his own ability and is asking for the ball when he is closely marked. He had me on my feet a few times today as he burst forward and produced the nicest bit of skill I have seen at ER for a while when he mesmerized two Ross CO players with a trick on the halfway line. Keep it up Sammy boy and you have a big future in the game. Really nice to see the young guns coming through and I was also very impressed with Handling today. He, like Sam, seems to have a very good footballing brain and great awareness of how to find space.

JustSimplyHibs
15-02-2014, 07:12 PM

Agreed, I think that dull one he took earlier in the season has made him back off a little... We all know what he is capable of after his goals and attacking play last season. He needs to be encouraged not moaned at!!!

As for Stanton... Another good performance and i like the look of him so far but lets not put too much on his shoulders.

:agree:

matty_f
15-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Stanton had had a couple of cracking games for us now and is a joy to watch. Well played Sam!

GreenCastle
15-02-2014, 07:21 PM
A midfielder that scores goals always helps -2 in 2 now.

Free kick was very good - some excellent runs today also.

Look tired near the end - Taiwo helped at times today and I like him but get a real quality player in the middle alongside him and he could flourish.

Pretty Boy
15-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Boy is a class act.

Going to be a real star.

Weir7
15-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Not true. Butcher pied him to the youths when he got the job

I posted that weeks ago.

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Well done yet again wee man. Outstanding talent. Most excited I've been about one of our youngsters since Scott Brown tbh. That includes Harris last season, and I was pretty excited then as well ha. Not had a midfielder who looks that dangerous for a long time. Nearly scored another cracker in injury time. Would have deserved it

theonlywayisup
15-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Class

Terry thinks so too.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11792/9168639/terry-butcher-praises-youngster-sam-stanton-after-hibernians-win-over-ross-county

Really impressed with Stanton, much as I was impressed with Harris last season. All young players have dips, so lets enjoy the good and support them when things don't always come to plan.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Liam Craig, take note.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Terry thinks so too.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11792/9168639/terry-butcher-praises-youngster-sam-stanton-after-hibernians-win-over-ross-county

Really impressed with Stanton, much as I was impressed with Harris last season. All young players have dips, so lets enjoy the good and support them when things don't always come to plan.

Derek Adams is a roaster.

Tyler Durden
15-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Derek Adams is a roaster.

Think his quote about nervous atmosphere is right though. The crowd panic which doesn't help but I can't see that changing until the team achieve some consistency to instil some faith in us.

A vicious cycle!

johnrebus
15-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Coming back from Newcastle v West Brom last season - a year and a half ago - on the train got talking to a guy from Musselburgh - said he was a scout for the Baggies.

Thought it was bull****, but became obvious after a while that he spoke the truth. Said that he was also a Hibbie, so I asked him who the mostly likely to make it big of the current crop of youngsters.

With no hesitation he replied, 'Sammy Stanton'.

He also said that without Lukaku, Albion would probably fall apart.....,

:cb:

Weir7
15-02-2014, 08:05 PM

I posted that weeks ago.

matty_f
15-02-2014, 08:07 PM

I posted that weeks ago.

Cool.

Unseen work
15-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Stanton just has the calmness and confidence. It's like instant control when he gets it and his passed are fired it accurately. Also great vision and quick feet

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Good to see youngsters in Scotland breaking through into the first team. Gauld, Harris, Stanton, Johnstone etc...

emerald green
15-02-2014, 08:27 PM

If Stanton turns out half as good as his great namesake, what a player Hibs will have. Referees will also have to play their part in protecting footballers like Stanton & Harris from the hammer throwers - see below re Alex Harris. Sadly, Hibs will probably struggle to keep Sam for too long. The lure of the big money will ultimately be too much to resist for both player and club. But get him on as lengthy a contract as soon as possible & if/when he has to go, get megabucks for him. Looks to me Alex Harris is both lacking in confidence & very wary of getting another bad injury. He needs encouragement, not abuse.

Unseen work
15-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Absolute no chance I would drop handling for Craig for the next game, them 2 offered more today and to the team than when Craig was centre mid. Only change would be watmore for harris

dave62
15-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Took his goal brilliantly and that bit of skill in the first half was amazing. Faded a bit in the second half, but he's a real prospect.

Iggy Pope
15-02-2014, 10:09 PM

He did in Vlissingen. I stood right behind Fenlon who was coaching his every move.

Jonnyboy
15-02-2014, 10:14 PM

I posted that weeks ago.

Did you post it twice, weeks ago?

Also what the hell is 'pied to the youths'?

Aldo
15-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Absolute no chance I would drop handling for Craig for the next game, them 2 offered more today and to the team than when Craig was centre mid. Only change would be watmore for harris

This. And I really do hope TB and MM see it this way as well.

jon paul jones
16-02-2014, 09:49 AM
Without getting carried away by what I've seen from Stanton this season, its a well worn cliché to say "Build a team around him". Stanton definitely is showing a lot of his attributes already at a tender age of 19. Good clubs would pair him with an experienced pro who would share a position in the team, pooling the knowledge and grooming him to play there for a very long time.

Give him a 2-3 year extension, Petrie and pronto.

GreenLake
16-02-2014, 12:34 PM
This. And I really do hope TB and MM see it this way as well.

Tend to agree, Craig needs to merit getting back onto the bench, never mind the team or the arm band.

Aldo
16-02-2014, 12:36 PM
Tend to agree, Craig needs to merit getting back onto the bench, never mind the team or the arm band.

Stanton has deserved to be in the starting 11 and if he continues I cannot see how he can be dropped.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-02-2014, 12:52 PM

:agree:

MB62
16-02-2014, 02:32 PM

The difference between Sam and Alex yesterday was immense. Sam wanted the ball, wanted to win tackles, wanted to run at players with the ball and wanted to have a dig at goal, Alex wanted none of the aforementioned. They are both excellent football players but Sam has the heart and desire where Alex looks terrified of picking up another injury. I really feel he needs a spell in the U20's to let him play a bit and regain his confidence and maybe get him back ready for next season. We have Watmore for the rest of this season and if he can stay injury free, it gives Alex a bit of breathing space.
Sam was head and shoulders above every other Hibs player yesterday IMO.

Ronniekirk
16-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Stanton has deserved to be in the starting 11 and if he continues I cannot see how he can be dropped.

he is the form player and also scoring which is more than any of our forwards are although I suppose Hayes was unlucky by all accounts to get his chopped off No way will T B drop Stanton for next game

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 02:46 PM
His dragged back was sick. Never seen him do that the last time we played 5's, that was about a year ago mind :greengrin

GlenrothesHibee
16-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Some slightly OTT comments about Stanton here. Remember the same thing happening with Harris. Thought he played well yesterday nothing exeptional. Watched the Dundee United v Killie game on Alba last night and the quality was night and day compared to the Hibs game. I fear for us against Eremenko next week. What an outstanding player.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Some slightly OTT comments about Stanton here. Remember the same thing happening with Harris. Thought he played well yesterday nothing exeptional. Watched the Dundee United v Killie game on Alba last night and the quality was night and day compared to the Hibs game. I fear for us against Eremenko next week. What an outstanding player.

Why would you fear them? They're pish. We've been them twice this season! :faf:

GlenrothesHibee
16-02-2014, 03:33 PM

We are also pish. Did you see our defence yesterday? Players like Eremenko must be rubbing their hands at the prospect of playing us. I'm not confident against anyone at the moment.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 03:41 PM
We are also pish. Did you see our defence yesterday? Players like Eremenko must be rubbing their hands at the prospect of playing us. I'm not confident against anyone at the moment.

I though our defence was better.

KeithTheHibby
16-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Good to see youngsters in Scotland breaking through into the first team. Gauld, Harris, Stanton, Johnstone etc...

Let not forget the yams have been doing it all season now.:greengrin

down-the-slope
16-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Stanton had had a couple of cracking games for us now and is a joy to watch. Well played Sam!

And is being labelled as the next big thing - Alex has 2 poor games and some are suggesting he is not good enough :rolleyes:

Both have the talent and technical ability to potentially become mainstays of our team and saleable assets in the medium term - but will require good managing of their match time a bit of understanding from from the stands when that does not load too much pressure when they are performing well or abuse when they have dips in form.

(Alex's situation is exacerbated by that broken leg - being a bit tentative in the tackle until he gets the confidence that its going to hold up and not happen again is hardly a crime in the circumstances)

Of course we could just go back to bringing in conveyor belts of average journeymen who might show more consistency - consistently average

Aldo
16-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Let not forget the yams have been doing it all season now.:greengrin

Aah forgot bout that. The best youngster in the country. Silly me. :-)

Del Boy
16-02-2014, 05:47 PM

Watched the game as well, eremenko for killie and Ciftci for utd the two outstanding players on the pitch. Rankin also played well and scored a quite superb goal.

emerald green
16-02-2014, 06:01 PM

I don't fear Killie. My fear is Hibs defence will implode like they did recently against Raith Rovers & St Mirren. Not exactly world beaters. Teams don't need to be all that good to beat us. We do that ourselves far too often. I'm not trying to be negative here. Just saying it as I see it. We are as equally capable of going and beating Killie. You just can never tell with Hibs.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-03-2014, 04:12 PM
I am not one to post 'ITK' stuff but, since I am mates with Sam, I can tell you he was offered a four year deal by the club on absolute pennies but he wants a better deal.

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2014, 04:17 PM
I am not one to post 'ITK' stuff but, since I am mates with Sam, I can tell you he was offered a four year deal by the club on absolute pennies but he wants a better deal.

I hope your mate doesn't mind you discussing his personal business on here :wink:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-03-2014, 04:20 PM
I hope your mate doesn't mind you discussing his personal business on here :wink:

Haha, thought I'd get it on here before someone else does:wink:

davcar
09-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Hope he gets a better deal, was for me the only candidate for motm yesterday, absolute joy watching this kid progress

green day
09-03-2014, 04:35 PM

Define " absolute pennies"

sleeping giant
09-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Not saying how much he was offered on a public thread but if you want any info, drop me a pm:aok:

:hilarious

#FromTheCapital
09-03-2014, 04:41 PM

Heard a similar story about Jason Cummings.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-03-2014, 04:45 PM
:hilarious

Something funny?

WestEndHibee
09-03-2014, 04:47 PM

I think that it means it won't be negative.

Source:higher maths

Viva_Palmeiras
09-03-2014, 04:51 PM

Yes makes no sense whatever... ;)

sleeping giant
09-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Something funny?

Yip. You don't want to tell everyone his private business on a public forum but you will tell folk via a pm.
Personally think that is terrible but crack on.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Yip. You don't want to tell everyone his private business on a public forum but you will tell folk via a pm.
Personally think that is terrible but crack on.

You know what, I actually agree. Apologies.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-03-2014, 05:09 PM

An upgrade from absolute buttons.

matty_f
09-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Their contact offers should be low imho. Stanton and Cummings have a handful of starts between them. In Stanton's case, Hibs have invested in him over a period of years to develop the skills and ability he has. At the moment, all these boys are is potential.
They should look at the next few years on a contract as security to give them the platform to prove over a couple of seasons that they're with bigger, more lucrative contracts.
Hibs don't have the money to chance a big wage on an unproven youth player, for me there is a big case to be made for Hibs sticking to their guns and asking for something back from the players.

Heisenberg
09-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Their contact offers should be low imho. Stanton and Cummings have a handful of starts between them. In Stanton's case, Hibs have invested in him over a period of years to develop the skills and ability he has. At the moment, all these boys are is potential.
They should look at the next few years on a contract as security to give them the platform to prove over a couple of seasons that they're with bigger, more lucrative contracts.
Hibs don't have the money to chance a big wage on an unproven youth player, for me there is a big case to be made for Hibs sticking to their guns and asking for something back from the players.

Totally agree.

Eyrie
09-03-2014, 06:01 PM
The contracts should be incentive based, with automatic increases after a certain number of appearances. The player can earn themselves top money if they continue to improve whilst the club is protected against them having already reached their limit.

WestEndHibee
09-03-2014, 10:47 PM
An upgrade from absolute buttons.

But how much relative to absolute peanuts?

Viva_Palmeiras
09-03-2014, 10:49 PM
But how much relative to absolute peanuts?

Ah - it's been all change since Marathon switched to Snickers and besides - with buttons there's a reduced threat of allergies ;)