PDA

View Full Version : Oldest football derby.

SanFranHibs
15-02-2014, 10:28 AM
We all know this......but had a friendly disagreemnt with someone here in Paris. I confess a few years ago I had looked it up to confirm what I thought that Sheffield United are not the original Sheffield team.

Also, when does a football derby cease to be a 'meaningful' derby. i.e. If 2 teams don't play each other for 20 years or so can it still be considered an exisitng derby. Does one year in different leagues constitute a break, assuming no cup tie.

Just a thought as I sit here bored waiting for 3pm.

From Wikipedia.

1875 - Hibernian F.C. - Association football - Edinburgh - Scotland - Scottish Premier League

The Edinburgh derby match between Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian is the oldest regularly played derby match in the world.

Just something for me to maybe reconsider my deep desire for their demise.

No, to hell with them......

:flag:

LancashireHibby
15-02-2014, 10:40 AM
I had it in my head that Sheffield v Hallam was the most regularly played though obviously at a lower level. Would think there are quite a few candidates from the Football League founder members as well.

SanFranHibs
15-02-2014, 10:52 AM
I had it in my head that Sheffield v Hallam was the most regularly played though obviously at a lower level. Would think there are quite a few candidates from the Football League founder members as well.

Except and I tihnk they mean in a fully professional capacity as we would have 2 butchers shops in South Yorkshire claiming they played since the War of The Roses :wink:

And Hibs and Hearts just about manage to play professionally although one of them do treat their players like amateurs and forget to pay them.

:flag:

Simmyalva
15-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Had a look at derbies in UK a few years back and found Nottingham Forrest (1865) and Notts County (1862) were two of the oldest teams still playing in the senior football leagues. However their first competitive derby was not played until 1878, three years after ours and was the only one I could find that was even close, apart from teams which are no longer playing senior football, Sheffield etc