PDA

View Full Version : Sir Tom Finney

Tinribs
14-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Sad to see Tom Finney has passed, a proper one club man. He may have played for the auld enemy, but was a gent and football person, R.I.P.

snooky
14-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Utmost respect for one of the game's greats.
RIP Sir Tom Finney

Moon unit
15-02-2014, 01:05 AM
Utmost respect for one of the game's greats.
RIP Sir Tom Finney

True Gent and a real Legend!

CalgaryHibs
15-02-2014, 03:02 AM
Yes I true gent indeed I personally never saw him play but me ded talked highly of him

LancashireHibby
15-02-2014, 04:13 AM
The last of his generation and very highly thought of by all who met him. He was an absolute gent in what was a very hard time for BWFC and Bolton in general when Nat Lofthouse passed away, and I'm sure it will hit PNE and Preston just as hard.

RIP the Plumber.

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-02-2014, 07:54 AM
100% respect for the man, a total legend and nothing like the prima donnas that wear the England shirt these days, a true great.

AltheHibby
15-02-2014, 09:12 AM
A true gentleman and a fantastic player. RIP

JimBHibees
15-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Sounds like an amazing player and a man. One club man who turned down lucrative offers to leave his beloved Preston.

Can remember seeing an interview clip with Shankly a few years back who had played with Tom at Preston. He was asked after a game about how well Tony Currie of Sheffield United had played and how he compared with Finney. Shankly seemed confused and pondered "Currie and Finney eh". I suppose you could compare them right enough he said however you also have to realise Tom is now 65 years old. :greengrin

RIP Tom.

Carheenlea
15-02-2014, 09:57 AM
A friend of Lawrie Reilly for 60 odd years. Two greats of the game lost in a short space of time. Sir Tom has said that Lawrie was without doubt one of the greatest players Scotland has produced.
Players from the days when top flight football truly was great sport.

southsider
15-02-2014, 09:58 AM
My dad saw him play and said he was the second best player he ever saw. Joe, of course, was the best. RIP Tom.

davidw
15-02-2014, 11:50 AM
My dad saw him play and said he was the second best player he ever saw. Joe, of course, was the best. RIP Tom.

Tortolano?

jdships
15-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Remember Lawrie R telling a few of us that Sir Tom Finney was the finest " gentleman footballer " he had ever met.

Interesting to note he has the same initials as our Sir Tom !!!!!!

RIP Tom Finney

--------
15-02-2014, 06:26 PM
A friend of Lawrie Reilly for 60 odd years. Two greats of the game lost in a short space of time. Sir Tom has said that Lawrie was without doubt one of the greatest players Scotland has produced.
Players from the days when top flight football truly was great sport.

They played against one another many times in internationals, and I'm sure had the highest respect for one another.

My father saw TF a few times and reckoned he was better than Stan Matthews and should have played more often for England.

Always came over as the complete gentleman in interviews.

3pm
15-02-2014, 06:27 PM
I see Preston got 20,000 today - double their normal gate. :aok:

ancient hibee
15-02-2014, 08:04 PM
He could play on either wing or centre forward.Unless I am getting completely senile I'm pretty sure he played for PNE against Edinburgh Select at Easter Road(playing centre forward)-sometimes it's hard to remember something from 60 years ago:greengrin

Sir David Gray
15-02-2014, 08:28 PM
I see Preston got 20,000 today - double their normal gate. :aok:

Not quite, but still 4,000 more than their season average.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26094628

kaimendhibs
16-02-2014, 12:42 AM
RIP Sir Tom, a true legend

Sent from my iphone

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 12:58 AM
RIP Sir Tom.

Hibernia&Alba
16-02-2014, 02:47 AM
100% respect for the man, a total legend and nothing like the prima donnas that wear the England shirt these days, a true great.

Indeed. Whilst today's England players are earning their £100,000 per week, they'd do well to remember that a player as great as Finney worked as a plumber whilst an international in order to make ends meet. I've seen him interviewed over the years, and his humility shone through. How many modern days players, many with a fraction of the talent, can claim the trait of humility? Legendary player. R.I.P.

ancient hibee
16-02-2014, 01:59 PM
To be fair his plumbing business was one of the biggest in the area-undoubtedly due to his popularity.

tamig
16-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Sounds like an amazing player and a man. One club man who turned down lucrative offers to leave his beloved Preston.

Can remember seeing an interview clip with Shankly a few years back who had played with Tom at Preston. He was asked after a game about how well Tony Currie of Sheffield United had played and how he compared with Finney. Shankly seemed confused and pondered "Currie and Finney eh". I suppose you could compare them right enough he said however you also have to realise Tom is now 65 years old. :greengrin

RIP Tom.

Heard an old interview with him on 5 Live yesterday. I think the main reason he remained a one club man was down to the archaic rules around clubs holding all the cards and being able to retain player registrations.
He said that Palermo - who were aiming for the top of Italian football at the time - came in for him. He was on £14 a week at Preston. The Italians were offering a signing on fee of £10k and a weekly wage of £120. The conversation with the PNE chairman lasted 30 secs. "If you don't play here then you don't play anywhere."
STF wasn't overly upset but admitted that he often wondered what might have been later in life.