PDA

View Full Version : "Fans must take blame for cup slump"

BOB MARLEYS DUG
12-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Stumbled accross this, thoughts? http://www.theawayend.net/opinion/club-columnists/hibernian/2050-hibs-fans-also-to-blame-for-slump

JohnStephens91
12-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Stumbled accross this, thoughts? http://www.theawayend.net/opinion/club-columnists/hibernian/2050-hibs-fans-also-to-blame-for-slump

I think the guy that wrote it needs to learn to use punctuation properly, there are far too many needless short sentences and long sentences without any commas in that article. If you were reading it out loud you'd never get a chance to take a breath or a pause.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
12-02-2014, 04:42 PM
I think the guy that wrote it needs to learn to use punctuation properly, there are far too many needless short sentences and long sentences without any commas in that article. If you were reading it out loud you'd never get a chance to take a breath or a pause.

:top marks

Pete
12-02-2014, 04:47 PM

Thoughts? A lot of what he says is correct but he needs to cheer up.

That last paragraph simply outed him as a bedwetter extraordinaire.

Have a drink or get laid or something.

jacomo
12-02-2014, 04:49 PM
I've seen much worse articles in the MSM. I find it hard to disagree with.

Anyhow, onwards.

marinello59
12-02-2014, 04:58 PM
I don't recognise this poisonous atmosphere he mentions. There may be sporadic outbursts due to frustration but in the main the team get a decent backing from fans who still continue to turn up in better numbers than results over the past few seasons deserve. The fans have nothing to be blamed for.

monktonharp
12-02-2014, 05:00 PM
cant get the link to work, but if he's blaming fans for a slump, I'd like to draw ma erse across his face.

iwasthere1972
12-02-2014, 05:05 PM
cant get the link to work, but if he's blaming fans for a slump, I'd like to draw ma erse across his face.

Try this Wullie.

http://www.theawayend.net/opinion/club-columnists/hibernian/2050-hibs-fans-also-to-blame-for-slump

Bostonhibby
12-02-2014, 05:15 PM

What a load of **** It will take much better punctuation and grammar than this to persuade me that it's not all Rods' fault. I wish we were a big team then we could blame the whole thing on an SPFL conspiracy.

jeffers
12-02-2014, 05:16 PM
I don't recognise this poisonous atmosphere he mentions. There may be sporadic outbursts due to frustration but in the main the team get a decent backing from fans who still continue to turn up in better numbers than results over the past few seasons deserve. The fans have nothing to be blamed for.

This x 10.

I keep readiing about this but have yet to experience it. Sure there are comments/outbursts I even admit to being guilty of shouting at Liam Craig on Saturday to get his finger out of his erse, but its not as if the whole crowd are as one getting on the players back. I think back to when Joe Tortolano played for us and at one game at Tannadice when name was read out a large proportion of our support booed him. I hate to think how our current collection of sensitive wee lambs would react to something like that.

monktonharp
12-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Try this Wullie.

http://www.theawayend.net/opinion/club-columnists/hibernian/2050-hibs-fans-also-to-blame-for-slumpthanks Rob, good read. he speaks about players I feel the same about, although I expect our club captain to bawl a bit, get players to drive on and up his rate too. the fans, I think are very tolerant under the present circumstances. very few moaners at my end of FF upper if that's an example and the young boys over in the East do try to lift the team, and encourage others to join in. we have had nowt but silly descisions,and downright blatantly wrong shouts from match officials for what seems like years now. this ,possibly helps to enrage our fans,which sometimes comes across as blaming our team.

Ozyhibby
12-02-2014, 05:22 PM
I think Hibs fans are greatest in the world (sorry Celtic) and have been very patient these last 6 years where we have under performed massively based on the amount of money we give the club.
The minute the club start blaming the fans is the day we all should stop going.

Elephant Stone
12-02-2014, 05:37 PM

I wouldn't say it's poisonous but at times I'd say it can be unsettling. The difference in atmosphere when the fans are getting behind the team compared with when they're on the team's back is massive and it must surely affect the players. Managers and commentators talk about smaller teams going to places, keeping it tight and getting the fans on the team's back, it definitely happens and whether or not it affects the team is debatable, I'd say in our case it does. In the first 20 minutes or so against Hear7s in the League Cup the fans were brilliant and the team were feeding off it, Hear7s scored a freak goal, the atmosphere went sour and the team went into their shell, they looked a completely different team.

I don't know the stats but for a few years now our away form has been much better than our home form, I wouldn't say that the fans are blameworthy but as a support we're getting increasingly frustrated and I'd say that it's probably being felt on the pitch in an unhelpful way.

Bobby's Cinema
12-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Exactly this. This persistent blaming of the fans is crazy. Why can people not see it as it is.

We have a lack of patience in certain situations because of the utter gash we have been served up for years. We carry that with us undoubtedly as all fans do.

Record at ER

Pl 70
W17!

2-3 down at home to a lower division team that's not scored in five games, staring at a fourth defeat in a row, looking at another outstanding Scottish cup chance go up in smoke, and we get a bit frustrated with half an hour to go.

There is nothing out of the ordinary about that as a group of supporters? This NEEDS to be dropped

Viva_Palmeiras
12-02-2014, 05:43 PM
That's one way to spike some hits on your blog. Cutting edge breaking boundaries stuff lie elsewhere I guess...

Carheenlea
12-02-2014, 05:47 PM
I sit smack bang in the middle of the East, and likewise don`t recognise this poisonous atmosphere the blogger is claiming.
When standards fall below what people believe to be acceptable, then quite rightly they will let their feelings be known. Like everyone else I`ve heard some over the top abuse dished out by the odd individual, but to take Saturdays game as an example, there was frustration from the stands when things were going wrong, but when we were on the attack the fans were roaring the team on, and in the closing stages there was nothing but encouragement as we were willing in an equaliser. At full time, the boos and jeers from the stands let the team and management know if they didn't already know so that conceding three goals and getting dumped out the Cup by an out of form lower league side fell way below the standards we expect from Hibs.
Poisonous it was not.

One Day Soon
12-02-2014, 05:55 PM

:rotflmao: Classic. Is that a saying?

wookie70
12-02-2014, 05:57 PM
The atmosphere must be worse this year than the last two years when we got to the final beating 3 premier league teams at home in the process. The last time we got knocked out of the Scottish Cup was against Ayr away so not sure I make the connection.

Those moaning about the atmosphere appear to be as negative towards their fellow fans as they are accusing the boo boys of being towards the Team. The last thing we need is fans actively campaigning against other fans in the media. I agree with earlier posts who say there is little evidence of that where I sit in the FF lower.

Incidentally, I don't hear anyone saying there is a problem with Aberdeen's Home form. They have picked up 1 less point at Pittordrie than on their Travels. Those BOO BOYS at Partick Thistle have been even more impressive with the Jags failing to win in the league at home this year. Hibs have the same amount of points at home as away (same as Motherwell) so better than Aberdeen or Thistle. ICT and the Yams home against away records only differ by a couple of points. Perhaps we are going in the right direction though as Celtic have 2 more points away from Darkheid than in front of their own "greatest fans in the world". That is half the league with similar or worse Home against away records.

I have heard loads of anecdotal pish about how it is the fans fault. Can someone who is wanting to blame the fans provide some stats. I don't accept one moaning git sitting a couple of seats away as evidence.

Hibs are equally as bad away from home as we are at ER this season. This my my debut FACT

Makaveli
12-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Didn't click the linkbait.

The only thing more predictable than the Petrie thread after a bad defeat is this "blame the fans" pish.

What other fanbase, apart from maybe Newcastle's, so consistently puts up with such pathetic failure whenever their club is presented with a chance to do something?

And FFS it's not as if the players were getting it tight all day on Saturday! Even at 2-1 down it was all encouragement to get back into the game. It's not until it got to the point where it was obvious they were going to be massively let down yet again that folk started grumbling. And even then, what, a few boos? It was hardly concerted abuse.

Still, bash on. :rolleyes:

portyhibernian
12-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Blaming the fans in any way is a complete cop out IMO, we spend a lot of money and a lot of our free time on attending games, supporting the team and are absolutely entitled to let it be known when we aren't happy with what is being served up.

At the very least on Saturday vs a poor Raith Rovers I expected to see us come out in the second half and take the game to them. Never happened. The players were booed off at FT on Saturday and correctly so. If they as professional players can't handle stick after a dismal performance then we'd be better off rid. After the amount of kicks in the teeth we've had to endure particularly in the last 5 or 6 years I'm surprised as many fans actually still make the effort to be honest, I've thought after many a game in this time that they don't deserve the support they get.

Ronniekirk
12-02-2014, 06:35 PM
The only bit I can relate to is that when fans boo it may add to the pressure some players feel and may not encourage them to perform to there best .However the players who go into their shells and don't handle the pressure are the ones we need to move on ,young players with promise excepted,Butchers Psychology clearly hasn't worked with some of them .This Fragility Label does my head in However we are certainly not to blame .

NadeAteMyLunch!
12-02-2014, 06:44 PM
What a pile of jobbies. It's actually incredible the level of support that is still there considering what we've had to put up with

Hibs7
12-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Absolute fekkin tripe .. Only people to blame for this were those on the pitch and the management team .. Any other opinion is garbage !

Bishop Hibee
12-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Blaming the fans is moronic. 99% of the fans are desperate for Butcher to succeed and back the team. The vast majority of a decent home support stayed to the end on Saturday.

ian cruise
12-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Deleted post.Link wasn't working. Sorry.

weonlywon6-2
12-02-2014, 08:51 PM
fans all over the world are critical of their team when it suits them.They even shoot them in Columbia so we arent too bad to be fair

NAE NOOKIE
12-02-2014, 10:34 PM
The only thing the fans are to blame for is sticking with an underperforming bunch of losers on the park for the last 6 years and a board with the on field ambition of a Sunday league club ......... or if not lack of ambition then a very, very poor effort at taking the club in the right direction.

Fans fault my arse !!!

Fergus52
12-02-2014, 11:16 PM
I think Hibs fans are greatest in the world (sorry Celtic) and have been very patient these last 6 years where we have under performed massively based on the amount of money we give the club.
The minute the club start blaming the fans is the day we all should stop going.

:confused:

Baader
13-02-2014, 12:31 AM
A good article but disagree about fans contributing to our current 'predicament.' I personally think Hibs are fortunate to have the fans stick by them to the extent they have given what has been a miserable number of years now where we have ventured from crisis to crisis, manager to manager in what is a pretty poor standard of league. Attending football regularly is not exactly cheap and given the end product we have been served up, the past few years have seen many more 'lows' than 'highs.' Be interesting to see if anyone (especially the board and the press who are not parting with their hard earned cash to watch us) would dare to claim we are getting value for money?

There has been a general malaise hanging over Hibs for too long. Id level it at a perceived indifference from previous playing staff who have alienated fans not so much through lack of talent (it happens) but by issues of commitment (unacceptable.)

This seemed to reach its nadir with the appointment of Calderwood where we had a man in charge who epitomised the 'could not care less ' attitude surrounding Hibs at the time. His appointment and subsequent behaviour as manager were an absolute disgrace and the contempt and disrespect he showed this club should have seen him swiftly removed from his position. I have never attended ER actively disliking anyone associated with Hibs until this clown opened his rotten mouth (too many sweeties.) Knocking back money to have him crawl away from the club was a staggeringly bad judgement and should have resulted in heads rolling after he was inevitably emptied.

We are working to get back to where we should be and despite my feelings about the board, I think Butcher is a great appointment who will right all the previous wrongs but its still a fair way back.

If the board, players and one particular manager had shown the same level of commitment as the fans we would not be in this mess.

I'm assuming the writer of the article has not watched top flight football in the likes of Italy, Spain, Turkey, Greece or France. If he has then Id be interested to know what he made of the top flight clubs comparable in terms of achievement to ours and the reaction of their fans for slumps that seem tame in comparison to what we've had to put up with in the past few years!

Apologies for the rant - wasn't intended.

GGTTH!!

wookie70
13-02-2014, 07:05 AM
I listened to the Arsenal fans booing their team off tonight after a draw with the champions.

Waxy
13-02-2014, 11:15 AM
We have to lose the white sleeves. Thats where the problem lies.

emerald green
15-02-2014, 11:44 AM
thanks Rob, good read. he speaks about players I feel the same about, although I expect our club captain to bawl a bit, get players to drive on and up his rate too. the fans, I think are very tolerant under the present circumstances. very few moaners at my end of FF upper if that's an example and the young boys over in the East do try to lift the team, and encourage others to join in. we have had nowt but silly descisions,and downright blatantly wrong shouts from match officials for what seems like years now. this ,possibly helps to enrage our fans,which sometimes comes across as blaming our team.

Agreed. Spot on with all comments.:agree::agree: