PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: Stanton Targeting Top Six

RSS Bot
12-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Midfielder Sam speaks to Hibernian TV

More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20140212/stanton-targeting-top-six_2262950_3666238)

monktonharp
12-02-2014, 12:03 PM
big talk comes easy

SaulGoodman
12-02-2014, 12:04 PM
Wonder what the replies on this thread will be.

Ozyhibby
12-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Wonder what the replies on this thread will be.

They will be as predictable as the talk coming out of Easter road.
Once they actually start to perform, people will start to listen again.

Hibercelona
12-02-2014, 12:13 PM
big talk comes easy

How dare he talk out in the media!

Hang him! :grr:

SaulGoodman
12-02-2014, 12:13 PM

You're right, I wish I read: 'Stanton, no chance of top six'

Would that keep yous happy?

JimBHibees
12-02-2014, 12:18 PM

If they werent saying anything you would be moaning about no information. He is only answering no doubt loaded journo questions to get a headline. He doesnt put the headlines out.

Saturdays result was very poor no doubt however we need to move onto the next game. Butcher has been barely in the door and will know himself that Raith and St Mirren wasnt good enough however the majority of games he has managed we have been better IMO.

Gatecrasher
12-02-2014, 12:21 PM
If we give it a proper go and fail thats fair enough but if we get powderpuff football like on Saturday and not come close thats something else entirely. Hopefully we get in the top 6 though, the extra prize money will help.

Ozyhibby
12-02-2014, 12:25 PM

Only improved results will keep me happy. Until then I will continue to be a grumpy b******.

monktonharp
12-02-2014, 12:42 PM

Would that keep yous happy? nope, I would certainly not expect a young player striving to make his way into the first team, to come out with negative points. I would also expect the people making the short film/interview to try and put a positive slant on it to assist in selling our next game. However, I cant resist saying big talk comes easy, given the FACT that some of our more established players are just not performing to a level that I personally expect. not enough endeavour, not enough guile, and a sheer lack of pure guts and determination to roll over lesser teams (in Hibs fans terms).we were slapped in the face last week, with a second half performance against a poorly rated team who had not scored since December.

monktonharp
12-02-2014, 12:45 PM
If we give it a proper go and fail thats fair enough but if we get powderpuff football like on Saturday and not come close thats something else entirely. Hopefully we get in the top 6 though, the extra prize money will help.
that's the worrying thing though. Hibernian fans are almost resigned to: getting in to the top six, is good for a team rebuilding.

BH Hibs
12-02-2014, 01:15 PM

You're wasting your time mate :flag:

Ozyhibby
12-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Think the admins should get a 'fingers in the ears' smilie for these threads.
:-)

SaulGoodman
12-02-2014, 02:40 PM
nope, I would certainly not expect a young player striving to make his way into the first team, to come out with negative points. I would also expect the people making the short film/interview to try and put a positive slant on it to assist in selling our next game. However, I cant resist saying big talk comes easy, given the FACT that some of our more established players are just not performing to a level that I personally expect. not enough endeavour, not enough guile, and a sheer lack of pure guts and determination to roll over lesser teams (in Hibs fans terms).we were slapped in the face last week, with a second half performance against a poorly rated team who had not scored since December.

That's fair enough mate

Gatecrasher
12-02-2014, 05:08 PM
that's the worrying thing though. Hibernian fans are almost resigned to: getting in to the top six, is good for a team rebuilding.

Top 6 is the minimum I expect but it doesn't always work out like that.

greenpaper55
12-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Hibs should ban the players from talking to the press until they start performing at a decent level, sick of seeing players mouthing off before games saying what they will do to their opponents only to end up with egg on their face.

NadeAteMyLunch!
12-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Wee Sam is one of the only players I'm not completely pissed off with right now. He can say what he wants as far as I'm concerned. At least you know he will go out there and try his very best to make it happen. Can't say that for everyone.

Sir David Gray
12-02-2014, 10:00 PM

:agree: This is in no way a dig at Sam Stanton but I'm concerned that we have dropped so far over the past 3 or 4 years that getting into the top six is considered to be some kind of success these days.

We should not be viewing the top six as a target for any Hibs side and especially not when Hearts are on their knees and there's no Sevco to worry about either.

We should be fighting it out with Aberdeen for 2nd place.

NadeAteMyLunch!
12-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Finishing 6th these days is the equivalent of finishing 8th a few years ago. Pish

Jonnyboy
12-02-2014, 10:58 PM
:agree: This is in no way a dig at Sam Stanton but I'm concerned that we have dropped so far over the past 3 or 4 years that getting into the top six is considered to be some kind of success these days.

We should not be viewing the top six as a target for any Hibs side and especially not when Hearts are on their knees and there's no Sevco to worry about either.

We should be fighting it out with Aberdeen for 2nd place.

If finishing bottom six is a failure then by default top six is a success, surely?

Sir David Gray
13-02-2014, 12:12 AM
If finishing bottom six is a failure then by default top six is a success, surely?

Don't see it like that at all.

If someone has trained for four years for the 100m at the Olympics and had hopes of getting a medal, but on the day they had a terrible race and ended up 7th out of 8 athletes, I'm sure they would view that as a failure.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they would have viewed 4th place as a success though.

In terms of size, Hibs are one of the top five clubs in the country. With two of those other clubs, who would make up the rest of the top five, either not in the league at the moment or not a serious threat, then I think that if we finish 6th this year it should be seen as a failure.

Leishy1995
13-02-2014, 02:08 AM

If someone has trained for four years for the 100m at the Olympics and had hopes of getting a medal, but on the day they had a terrible race and ended up 7th out of 8 athletes, I'm sure they would view that as a failure.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they would have viewed 4th place as a success though.

In terms of size, Hibs are one of the top five clubs in the country. With two of those other clubs, who would make up the rest of the top five, either not in the league at the moment or not a serious threat, then I think that if we finish 6th this year it should be seen as a failure.

In the Olympics though, you don't have a budget to work within to achieve success. It's completely different sports so don't compare.

If we finished 6th, it isn't seen as success by our chairman or manager. It's seen as "a stepping stone to where we want to be" and that's how I believe fans see it.

Ozyhibby
13-02-2014, 08:10 AM
We have the 3rd biggest budget in the league.
1st or 2nd is a success.
3rd is acceptable.
4th or below is failure.

WellingtonHibby
13-02-2014, 08:26 AM
1st or 2nd is a success.
3rd is acceptable.
4th or below is failure.

Agreed

Sir David Gray
13-02-2014, 07:20 PM
In the Olympics though, you don't have a budget to work within to achieve success. It's completely different sports so don't compare.

If we finished 6th, it isn't seen as success by our chairman or manager. It's seen as "a stepping stone to where we want to be" and that's how I believe fans see it.

I agree with what you've just said but that's not what Jonnyboy said.

He said that if we view bottom six as a failure then, by default, top six must be a success.

For the reasons I gave in my last post, I don't believe that's the case.

I would agree with what you've said about top six being a stepping stone and compared with the last few years, it would be seen as being steady progress.

In no way, though, should we be happy about finishing 6th in this Scottish Premiership.

SanFranHibs
13-02-2014, 08:48 PM
He first said this when the transfer window was still open . :wink:

We had better start to improve...otherwise success will be challenging for the top 2 in the bottom six, post split. :wink:

:flag:

Jonnyboy
13-02-2014, 09:13 PM

Not disagreeing with you Trig. Merely pointing out that the opposite of failure is success :wink:

Eyrie
13-02-2014, 11:01 PM
1st or 2nd is a success.
3rd is acceptable.
4th or below is failure.

Fair point. From next season, let's have every club submit an audited affordable budget to the SPFL before the first game of the season. That way we can award the league places without the inconvenience of having to attend games and can instead go to the cinema for entertainment.

Alternatively we can accept that our financial advantage over the rest of the SPFL is nowhere near as convincing as that of Septic's, and instead the right manager assembling the right squad and carrying some luck with injuries/suspension/form will do well regardless of which club they are at, whilst the wrong manager with a weak squad and no luck will struggle. That makes for a more competitive and entertaining league, which is for the greater good even if it does mean that there are years (feels like decades) in which Hibs are poor.