PDA

View Full Version : One for our older fans

Jonnyboy
11-02-2014, 08:23 PM
In the period from 24th October 1959 to 26th December 1959 inclusive, Hibs scored a staggering 71 goals and conceded 33. They played 13 games, winning 9, drawing 2 and losing 2. In that period, 3 were friendlies and the rest were league games, 2 of which are worthy of featuring. Prior to that, it’s worth pointing out that although Hibs only finished seventh in the league that season they scored a whopping 106 goals. Unfortunately they conceded 85 and won only 14 out of 34 starts.

24th October 1959

Airdrie 1 Hibs 11

Airdrie’s Broomfield Park didn’t boast the best of playing surfaces and as the sides took to the field for this match it was pouring with rain and so conditions were not ideal for those in the 8,000 crowd hoping for a good game. How wrong they all were! Within five minutes of the start Hibs were ahead through Joe Baker and after Willie Wilson had made a couple of smart saves at the other end, Johnny MacLeod doubled the lead for the visitors, with only ten minutes on the clock. Some teams may have satisfied themselves with settling down and holding that lead but not Hibs. Eight minutes later, Baker headed home meaning that Hibs led 3-0 at the interval.

With the rain still lashing down, it was perhaps appropriate that the floodgates opened in the second half! Four minutes in and Tommy Preston struck before three minutes later, Baker completed his hat trick. That made it 5-0 and it was soon six as Ormond belted home a loose ball from ten yards. Twelve minutes later, Preston got his second before a rare raid on the Hibs defence witnessed Storrie scoring for a bedraggled home outfit. It was now 7-1 but Hibs weren’t finished yet as goals from Preston who struck twice, McClelland and MacLeod made the final score 11-1 to the Hibees.

The Hibs team that day was : - Wilson, Grant, McClelland, Young, Plenderleith, Baxter, MacLeod, Johnstone, Baker, Preston and Ormond.

Back at Easter Road, in the good old days when the reserves played at home when the first team was away, Hibs thumped Airdrie 8-0 with cheering throughout for the goals being watched and the news of eleven more filtering through from Lanarkshire. Amazingly, Airdrie avoided relegation that season, as did the next team to ship double figures to a rampant Hibs.

19th December 1959

Partick Thistle 2 Hibs 10

Let may say right from the off. The Partick Thistle goalkeeper that day was woeful and received a scathing review from the sporting press after the game. At least three of the goals were his fault apparently but it would be unfair to take anything away from a masterful Hibs performance and in keeper Freebairn’s defence, he had ten team mates who hardly helped his cause.

In the opening minute, Ormond raced down the wing, slung over an inviting cross and Tommy Preston rose majestically to head home the opener. Ten minutes later, Baxter fed Baker and it was 2-0 as the centre forward beat the keeper low to his left. An own goal and strikes from Preston and MacLeod had Hibs 5-0 up at the interval and the Jags must have been fretful for how the second half might go.

Six minutes after resumption, MacLeod tapped in at the back post before Smith finally got the Jags off the mark but before an hour of the match had elapsed, MacLeod made it 7-1. Three minutes later Smith scored again to make it 7-2 but Ormond soon secured an eighth with a stunning volley that beat Freebairn all ends up. Further goals from Preston and Baker completed the rout. For once, Joe only bagged two but they took his tally for the season to 29 which, given the season was not quite at the half way mark, was phenomenal.

The Hibs team that day was : - Wren, Grant, McClelland, Young, Plenderleith, Baxter, MacLeod, Johnstone, Baker, Preston and Ormond.

marinello59
12-02-2014, 05:41 AM
I know you don't mention the next game because we lost it but I'm going to. :greengrin
26 the December, 1959. An unchanged line-up at Pittodrie from the previous week's Partick Thistle game, yet despite scoring four goals up there we lost 6-4 in a pulsating match. (Two goals from Bobby Johnstone. one from Tommy Preston and one from Willie Ormond.) Remarkably, there was footage of this entire game on the internet until it was removed for copyright reasons a couple of years back, worth looking for though just in case it has reappeared.
As an aside, my Mum was in hospital that day and by the time the match kicked off my Dad was handing out cigars. :greengrin

Mr White
12-02-2014, 06:01 AM
I know you don't mention the next game because we lost it but I'm going to. :greengrin
26 the December, 1959. An unchanged line-up at Pittodrie from the previous week's Partick Thistle game, yet despite scoring four goals up there we lost 6-4 in a pulsating match. (Two goals from Bobby Johnstone. one from Tommy Preston and one from Willie Ormond.) Remarkably, there was footage of this entire game on the internet until it was removed for copyright reasons a couple of years back, worth looking for though just in case it has reappeared.
As an aside, my Mum was in hospital that day and by the time the match kicked off my Dad was handing out cigars. :greengrin

So you have a very long history of jinxing hibs then? :greengrin

marinello59
12-02-2014, 06:04 AM
So you have a very long history of jinxing hibs then? :greengrin

Basically, yes. :greengrin

greenpaper55
12-02-2014, 07:32 AM
I was still in short trousers when these games were played and only saw a few of them as it depended on getting lifted over the turnstiles by a willing supporter-can you imagine that now ?. I did pay my way in to the ground for the cup tie when Baker scored nine and i remember not being to sure of the score at the end along with many others.