PDA

View Full Version : Which 5 ingredients could you not live without?

lyonhibs
11-02-2014, 08:05 AM
I was thinking this as I cooked dinner last night - a mean lentil and veg soup - but - if they were to disappear off the face of the earth/you developed an allergy randomly - which 5 food ingredients (so not beer!) would you be absolutely rooked without?

Not entire meals (e.g. fish and chips would could as 2 - fish and potatoes) just the ingredients. Interesting to see what makes up a large part of folks diet.

Living in Switzerland where most meat costs approximately the same as a small country's GDP, I don't even know if meat would make it into my top 5.

1) Tomatoes
2) Onions
3) Garlic
4) Oranges
5) Pasta/bread

then would come 6) Meat then things like pulses, beans and other veggies.

Scouse Hibee
11-02-2014, 08:44 AM
1. Milk
2. Onions
3. Chilli's
4. Tomatoes
5. Meat

Hibrandenburg
11-02-2014, 08:58 AM
1.Spuds
2.Butter
3.Onions
4.Meat
5.Salt

Sylar
11-02-2014, 09:29 AM
In no particular order:

Fish
Mangoes
Yoghurt
Chocolate
Apples

derekHFC
11-02-2014, 09:37 AM
1. Chicken
2. Potatoes
3. Oranges
4. Butter
5. Tomatoes

bandylegs_jLeighton
11-02-2014, 10:07 AM
1. Beef
2. Lamb
3. Pork
4. Onion
5. Rice

Clearly I could not live without meat.

Pretty Boy
11-02-2014, 10:19 AM
1.Chicken
2.Venison
3.Garlic
4.Lemons
5.Good salt.

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Lamb
Beef
Pork
Chicken
Spuds.

lyonhibs
11-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Lamb
Beef
Pork
Chicken
Spuds.

Not a vegetarian then?

sleeping giant
11-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Beef
Pork
Milk
Eggs
Rizzla

Westie1875
11-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Chicken, Tuna, tomatoes, pasta, chocolate

HH81
11-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Milk spuds Ice cream fish and meat.

Geo_1875
11-02-2014, 05:46 PM
In no particular order:

Fish
Mangoes
Yoghurt
Chocolate
Apples

Are you a wummin?

1. Chillies -hotter the better
2. Chicken
3. Rice
4. Onions
5. Naan bread

hibsbollah
11-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Garlic
Onions
Tomatoes
Olive oil
Black pepper

Northernhibee
11-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Chilli
Garlic
Lemon
Tomato
Pasta

Baba O'riley
11-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Chocolate
Chicken
Chorizo
Rice
Onions

matty_f
11-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Chicken
Beef
Cheese
Eggs
Bread

Pete
12-02-2014, 01:41 AM
I rarely cook nowadays due to time constraints, so general foodstuffs will have to make up my list.

Bread
Potatoes
Meat, usually processed
Fruit
Vegetables

It would have been very different about a year ago as I was following something called a Paleolithic diet (after reading about it on this site). Back then I lived on about five things:

Fresh meat and fish
Vegetables (all of them, but minimal potatoes)
Fruit (some kinds)
Eggs
Nuts

After a few months of that I had lost a lot of weight and was lean, mean and felt full of energy even though I wasn't taking in any traditional carbs. It was hard to keep up personally as I have a family who insisted on "normal" food and it's as if two different meals were being prepared at the same time.

I'm still determined to try and phase as much processed stuff out of my family's diet though. A diet like that makes you realise how much unnecessary rubbish we all consume on a daily basis. I would go back to it in a heartbeat if I could.

Alex Trager
13-02-2014, 03:05 PM
I rarely cook nowadays due to time constraints, so general foodstuffs will have to make up my list.

Bread
Potatoes
Meat, usually processed
Fruit
Vegetables

It would have been very different about a year ago as I was following something called a Paleolithic diet (after reading about it on this site). Back then I lived on about five things:

Fresh meat and fish
Vegetables (all of them, but minimal potatoes)
Fruit (some kinds)
Eggs
Nuts

After a few months of that I had lost a lot of weight and was lean, mean and felt full of energy even though I wasn't taking in any traditional carbs. It was hard to keep up personally as I have a family who insisted on "normal" food and it's as if two different meals were being prepared at the same time.

I'm still determined to try and phase as much processed stuff out of my family's diet though. A diet like that makes you realise how much unnecessary rubbish we all consume on a daily basis. I would go back to it in a heartbeat if I could.

Are there any links to this diet available?

My five would be in no particular order.

Fish. Garlic. Seasoning. Turkey. Onion, on the basis it is a fundamental in most cooking

Sylar
13-02-2014, 08:35 PM

My five would be in no particular order.

Fish. Garlic. Seasoning. Turkey. Onion, on the basis it is a fundamental in most cooking

http://thepaleodiet.com/

Pete
14-02-2014, 03:07 AM

Don't meant to hijack the thread but the FAQs in TSSF's link explain the principle.
It doesn't have to be as complicated as it's made out though. Eggs for breakfast and maybe some fruit, later meals you stuff yourself full of vegetables, compliment it with some good meat and have some nuts to snack.

You basically bin grains and dairy stuff but there's no harm in a few lapses a week. Hardcore sites have some pretty strict boundaries but you have to be realistic and a few forbidden items make no difference.

Beer out. Cider and wine in.:greengrin