PDA

View Full Version : Next season

GGTTH07
09-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Was speaking to a pal and we were talking about how terrible we've been for a while. So Next season is, IMO, a massive one. With rangers away for probably the last time, it's another great opportunity to look for 2nd or 3rd. We need a lot more ambition. Look at aberdeen, 8th last season and flying this year with a couple great signings (Robson and Flood). I feel butcher is the right guy to lead us meet season and I am confident that when he has a few of his 'own' players in the team, we will see change. Hopefully :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
09-02-2014, 10:39 PM
When manager X gets his "own player" in...

If we get the academy and first team playing in the same mould we should have players that already fit into playing the Hibernian way. Managers should be forced to fit this rather than the other way round.

Then when a manager moves we shouldn't need the wholesale changes - god knows we more than others have..

Jdawg
10-02-2014, 02:54 AM
Apart from the young players, I couldn't care if any of the first team squad are here come next season.

The Sea-gull
10-02-2014, 08:06 AM
Next season is going to be a big one. That is said about every season but yes it rings true again.

We must sign quality players in the summer. Now is the time to finally take a gamble (not a silly gamble but push the boat out a bit) and make sure we get our first choice targets, ideally getting most of them by the end of June and in time for pre-season. This not only gives the squad time to gel and bond but also shows any doubters with regard to season tickets that we are serious about what we want to achieve.

I hate harking back to Aberdeen all the time but they are a perfect example of what we could achieve as they are a similar sized club and were in a similar situation to us. Before this season they were bottom 6 for 4 years (as we will likley be by the end of the season) and had not quite got things right in terms of the managers they had appointed and the players these managers signed. This summer they appointed the right guy who has proved this by signing the right players and got them results. There was a "buzz" about their support before a ball was even kicked just on the strength of the signings made and this has been built on throughout the season.

I think we now have the right manager and I really hope our board backs him by doing all they can and more to help him get his top targets. I know this is not a popular view with some on here but I honestly don't think our board has always gone that little bit extra to help our managers.

What do we need? Bizarrely enough I don't actually think we need that much. I'm getting to the stage where I could take or leave Ben Williams to be honest but if he goes we obviously need a GK and if he stays then fine. I'd say we need a quality right back, a quality centre half to play with Hanlon, a real quality midfielder who will get his foot on the ball, move it on and get the most out of the likes of Craig and Robertson freeing them up to bomb about the pitch. We also must sign a pacy attacking player and I mean really pacy and a goal scorer.

That's 5 or 6 players of quality. By getting rid of a few and showing a wee bit of ambition to get better guys in, it is achievable but we need the board to show this level of ambition. Getting a few new players in may bring out the best in the some of guys we already have. Look at the likes of Hayes and Pawlett at Aberdeen, they are much improved this year by playing in a better team. In Hanlon, Robertson, Craig, Stanton, Harris and Collins we have players who have the potential to be good byt perhaps they need the right character of player in with them to show them the way.

Waxy
10-02-2014, 08:14 AM
Next season i demand a trophy.

Onion
10-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Was speaking to a pal and we were talking about how terrible we've been for a while. So Next season is, IMO, a massive one. With rangers away for probably the last time, it's another great opportunity to look for 2nd or 3rd. We need a lot more ambition. Look at aberdeen, 8th last season and flying this year with a couple great signings (Robson and Flood). I feel butcher is the right guy to lead us meet season and I am confident that when he has a few of his 'own' players in the team, we will see change. Hopefully :wink:

Aberdeen should be applauded for what they've done. Their Board has shown bravery, ambition and imagination by bringing in a good young manager and backing him with serious money while the Huns and Yams are out of the picture. They've build a strong squad of good players and given themselves a great chance of winning the CIS and Scottish Cup double. I hope they do it. They will easily establish themselves a the 2nd/3rd force in Scotland for the next few years.

Hibs have missed the boat and still on a downward spiral thanks to the ineptitude and lack of vision, conviction and ambition of this Hibs Board. One or two token signings will not change that.

GreenArmyyy!
10-02-2014, 08:48 AM
I am just bored to be honest, completely fed up.

Flanny boy
10-02-2014, 08:53 AM
You and me both friend

OsloHibs
10-02-2014, 09:02 AM

Me too. The past few weeks watching Hibs have been truly woeful. The goals we've let get passed us have been shocking. We made Raith Rovers look like Barcelona. This is my complete lowest point in the past few years.

Heisenberg
10-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Me too. The past few weeks watching Hibs have been truly woeful. The goals we've let get passed us have been shocking. We made Raith Rovers look like Barcelona. This is my complete lowest point in the past few years.

Did you miss 5-1 and 0-7 like? As well as losing twice against the worst hearts side ever.

SlickShoes
10-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Did you miss 5-1 and 0-7 like? As well as losing twice against the worst hearts side ever.

I think the game on Saturday performance wise was on par with those games, I didn't feel as bad after it though, but football wise it was as bad or worse.

At least I don't have to suffer another final this year, 3 losses in a row would be too much.

I can understand the fed up folk here, here we are again rebuilding for the 6th or 7th time since we won the cup in 2007, next year is a big year AGAIN, i think rather than thinking next year is big year most folk are mentally prepared for a 7th year of "more of the same".

Looking at our form in general suggests that playing as ***** as we are now is the norm, the years we actually play well are the anomalies.

MB62
10-02-2014, 10:06 AM

We could still be playing against them and their wee cousins from west Embra next season yet. :boo hoo:

SouthamptonHibs
10-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Maybe Petrie has done the math and worked out we'll make more money down in the Championship next season!
2 home derbies plus 2 home games v the Rangers, we are likely so win more games at home than loose = more punters plus every game will be 3pm on a Saturday so fans can't moan about ko times.

Pete
10-02-2014, 08:05 PM
I can't wait for next season.

A motivated team full of Butchers players.

Bring it on! :aok:

eastterrace
10-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Maybe Petrie has done the math and worked out we'll make more money down in the Championship next season!
2 home derbies plus 2 home games v the Rangers, we are likely so win more games at home than loose = more punters plus every game will be 3pm on a Saturday so fans can't moan about ko times.

hey thats clever our gates would go up and it would be more competitive , yes bring on the play offs cant wait.

Soldiersteve
10-02-2014, 09:28 PM
I think the game on Saturday performance wise was on par with those games, I didn't feel as bad after it though, but football wise it was as bad or worse.

At least I don't have to suffer another final this year, 3 losses in a row would be too much.

I can understand the fed up folk here, here we are again rebuilding for the 6th or 7th time since we won the cup in 2007, next year is a big year AGAIN, i think rather than thinking next year is big year most folk are mentally prepared for a 7th year of "more of the same".

Looking at our form in general suggests that playing as ***** as we are now is the norm, the years we actually play well are the anomalies.

Disappointed, dismayed, depressed with these dire performances.
Will I ever be enthused again.....?

Saturdays Hero
10-02-2014, 10:00 PM
hey thats clever our gates would go up and it would be more competitive , yes bring on the play offs cant wait.

Tbh it was grimm being in that position but the last time we were in the play off's they were 2 cracking games,ER sold out with Airdrie only getting the bottom tier of the away end 1-0 after the 1st leg at home,I'm sure Airdrie scored 1st in the return leg,it was a cracking couple of games.

Diclonius
10-02-2014, 11:44 PM
The board will spin it as the usual "transitional season" i.e. "we ain't spending anything, so don't expect anything."

flash
11-02-2014, 12:22 PM
The board will spin it as the usual "transitional season" i.e. "we ain't spending anything, so don't expect anything."

I have never heard anyone from the board say that.

The problem isn't that we haven't spent money it's the fact that it hasn't been spent wisely.

The Sea-gull
11-02-2014, 12:26 PM

The problem isn't that we haven't spent money it's the fact that it hasn't been spent wisely.

At times yes and this has meant at other times we have been unable to spend what is required. Unwise spending is what has seen us go through the rubbish of the last few years, not a lack of spending, just a lack of sensible spending. The wrong people (boards) have appointed the wrong people (managers) who have spend the money on the wrong people (players).

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2014, 12:27 PM

Yes we have spent money, its just been spent on dross. I'd agree with that, its also been spent by managers the board appointed, both wrong decisions it appears.

Who would i have appointed will be the next question, not been and never will be my job, but then i'm not accountable for these errors, although nobody seems accountable at easter road except the guy who gets punted every 18 months or so.

The_Horde
11-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Hibs would spend money, get in our first choice big name targets and then get pumped in our first two home games (which would probably see sell outs) and scare those fans off for good.

It's what we do, build you up and knock you clean on yer erchie.

Mikey
11-02-2014, 12:32 PM

Making stuff up really doesn't help matters.

Onion
11-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Yes we have spent money, its just been spent on dross. I'd agree with that, its also been spent by managers the board appointed, both wrong decisions it appears.

Who would i have appointed will be the next question, not been and never will be my job, but then i'm not accountable for these errors, although nobody seems accountable at easter road except the guy who gets punted every 18 months or so.

100% agree with that.

Reaper
11-02-2014, 12:36 PM

At times yes and this has meant at other times we have been unable to spend what is required. Unwise spending is what has seen us go through the rubbish of the last few years, not a lack of spending, just a lack of sensible spending. The wrong people (boards) have appointed the wrong people (managers) who have spend the money on the wrong people (players).

This

yeezus.
12-02-2014, 07:44 PM

It's hard to follow Aberdeen - despite the fact that they are having a good season they are still miles behind Celtic. That being said to win at Celtic park and possibly win the double would be a massive boost for them.

Let's hope we bring in a few more new faces in the summer and can challenge the Sheep for 2nd / 3rd place.

Sir David Gray
12-02-2014, 08:53 PM

:agree: Relegation could just be the break we've been waiting for.

Can't wait! :thumbsup:

RIP Bestie
12-02-2014, 10:39 PM

Agree with this. The problem is that we are never in a position to sign one or two quality players because the budget is being diluted to allow the manager to bring in "his own players". When I say diluted, what I mean is that instead of using the budget to bring in one or two of quality we bring in 7', 8 or 9 of no better standard than we have at present. It will be the same this summer as we have the inevitable clear out and Butcher brings in the players to play his system. The turnover of playing staff over the past seven or eight years and half dozen managers is frightening with very few being memorable for the right reasons.

lord bunberry
13-02-2014, 11:47 AM
I think butcher has already stated that he wants a much smaller squad, quality over quantity.

Onion
13-02-2014, 01:37 PM
I think butcher has already stated that he wants a much smaller squad, quality over quantity.

No bad thing. we need to make Hibs and Easter Road a place where players aspire to get to. All the utter dross we've signed over last few years has devalued the Hibernian brand.

Wonder if the Yams will get bigger home crowds than us next season ?

marinello59
13-02-2014, 02:16 PM
No bad thing. we need to make Hibs and Easter Road a place where players aspire to get to. All the utter dross we've signed over last few years has devalued the Hibernian brand.

Wonder if the Yams will get bigger home crowds than us next season ?
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!! Hibernian brand, Match Day Experience, Product on the Park..........................a pox on it all.
Sorry.......carry on.:greengrin

Eyrie
13-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!! Hibernian brand, Match Day Experience, Product on the Park..........................a pox on it all.
Sorry.......carry on.:greengrin

As long as the club doesn't refer to us as "customers". Gets my goat when HM Revenue & Customs use that term for taxpayers, as if we have any choice about them taking our money.

renato
13-02-2014, 07:38 PM

Great post, as is the one from Flash - exactly why we're in this mess, yet again. Especially frustrating as the club has in effect accepted mediocrity and wasted a wonderful chance to "do an Aberdeen" and capitalise on the absence of sevco and a crippled yam.

2nd last year and in the mix for cup(s) and 2nd this year and we would have been back on the upward spiral again, both financially and with success on the park. What a wasted opportunity. Again.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
13-02-2014, 11:42 PM
I am really excited and looking foward to next season. Butcher will put his stamp on the team by signing players of his own. Hopefully Marsella can unearth a few gems for us like he has done before. I have had a season ticket for the last few years and we have been served up utter gash. I think next season will be much different and change for the better.:agree: