PDA

View Full Version : In Comparison?

Reaper
09-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Alex McLeish was appointed in February 1998. So he probably got a few more than the 12 games Butchers had so far. McLeish failed to turn it around quick enough to stop us getting relegated but when he had time to build his team was fantastic. Was there the same clamour and concern about him there seems to be over TB just now?

bigwheel
09-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Yes but McLeish was able to spend 7k per week to players and built the best squad we had had for decades. Butcher will have far more limitations placed on him ....so quite a different challenge.

Reaper
09-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Yes but McLeish was able to spend 7k per week to players and built the best squad we had had for decades. Butcher will have far more limitations placed on him ....so quite a different challenge.

Yeah I agree mate but what my point is before McLeish had a chance to do that he had to go with what he had and that wasnt good enough.

Andy74
09-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Alex McLeish was appointed in February 1998. So he probably got a few more than the 12 games Butchers had so far. McLeish failed to turn it around quick enough to stop us getting relegated but when he had time to build his team was fantastic. Was there the same clamour and concern about him there seems to be over TB just now?

I don't believe a big turnaround is / was needed though so it's not really comparable to turning around a team that were about to be relegated.

We needed to add some pace and urgency but the foundations were solid enough.

I don't think there is long term concern just probably a bit of frustration that the immediate improvement that a number of people though was a given if you took Pats tactics out of things hasn't materialised. And actually we've probably being doing a wee bit worse than before.

Natural given the amount of talk about managerial capabilities that there would be some discussion about how someone else can do with almost the same squad.

bigwheel
09-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Yeah I agree mate but what my point is before McLeish had a chance to do that he had to go with what he had and that wasnt good enough.

Jim Duffy gets rightly castigated for Hibs relegation, Mcleish got off fairly free with that event. Yet, he had a big chunk of the season to go and failed. His record was good (decent?) after that , with a budget any manager since could only dream off.

eastterrace
09-02-2014, 03:59 PM

mcleish brought a few players in , new goalie, big baldie guy from norwich, also justin skinner and barry prenderville and a few more but just failed to keep us up. there was no transfer window back then.

Bobby's Cinema
09-02-2014, 04:17 PM
I think it's a bit daft to level much criticism at Terry.

The one thing for me is that he's got the Thommo one wrong IMO.

He's still introducing new players onto the park each week trying to find a settled an best XI.

It's gauling to say the least that here we are in another season with virtually nothing to play for, but I can't blame Terry for that

SonOfTortolano
09-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Look at Shiels with the Huns...frozen out for ages now he's banging them in.

Maybe it's tactics from Butcher.

Reaper
09-02-2014, 05:26 PM
I don't believe a big turnaround is / was needed though so it's not really comparable to turning around a team that were about to be relegated.

We needed to add some pace and urgency but the foundations were solid enough.

I don't think there is long term concern just probably a bit of frustration that the immediate improvement that a number of people though was a given if you took Pats tactics out of things hasn't materialised. And actually we've probably being doing a wee bit worse than before.

Natural given the amount of talk about managerial capabilities that there would be some discussion about how someone else can do with almost the same squad.

Most sensible post Ive read on the matter. TB needs time. End of.

bigwheel
09-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Look at Shiels with the Huns...frozen out for ages now he's banging them in.

Maybe it's tactics from Butcher.

Shiels was injured, that's the reason he missed loads of games

sleeping giant
09-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Jim Duffy gets rightly castigated for Hibs relegation, Mcleish got off fairly free with that event. Yet, he had a big chunk of the season to go and failed. His record was good (decent?) after that , with a budget any manager since could only dream off.

McLiesh only had 6 games left if I remember correctly.

judas
09-02-2014, 06:24 PM
mcleish brought a few players in , new goalie, big baldie guy from norwich, also justin skinner and barry prenderville and a few more but just failed to keep us up. there was no transfer window back then.

Justin Skinner was one of the more underrated players I saw at Easter road.

oneone73
09-02-2014, 06:26 PM

McLeish was appointed middle of Feb IIRC?

bigwheel
09-02-2014, 06:49 PM

13 games

eastterrace
09-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Justin Skinner was one of the more underrated players I saw at Easter road.

yes i thought skinner was underrated too. the game that we got relegated we were 1-0 up against dundee united and skinner got injured and then we ended up losing 2-1. but going down probably help us as mcleish got to see the players we had were not good enough so enter mixu , frank , russell.