PDA

View Full Version : Square pegs and round holes

thebakerboy
08-02-2014, 07:07 PM
I feel that TB has fallen into the same trap as several managers at ER over the past few years. We have no full backs in the first team squad whatsoever and we are struggling defensively in midfield and to score goals. I watch a lot of football from England Germany France and Spain and notice how many clubs now play with 3 centre backs and a holding midfield player in front who can pass but maybe not run around a lot. We have five CB's in Hanlon , Nelson , Foster , McGivern and now Boetang and we have KT who could play (shall we call it the Pirlo) position in front of the back 3. In front of that I would have Robertson and Stevenson in the midfield , both able to play box to box and my widemen would be Whatmore and Haynes with Collins and Heffernan up front in a two. At the present time I think Craig needs a break because he hasn't played since he became captain and I don't think Harris is quite ready to play full games just yet. Now to me that is playing round pegs in round holes. I know it's a bit radical playing players where they naturally seem to fit but that is how I see it.

Northernhibee
08-02-2014, 07:44 PM
I feel that TB has fallen into the same trap as several managers at ER over the past few years. We have no full backs in the first team squad whatsoever and we are struggling defensively in midfield and to score goals. I watch a lot of football from England Germany France and Spain and notice how many clubs now play with 3 centre backs and a holding midfield player in front who can pass but maybe not run around a lot. We have five CB's in Hanlon , Nelson , Foster , McGivern and now Boetang and we have KT who could play (shall we call it the Pirlo) position in front of the back 3. In front of that I would have Robertson and Stevenson in the midfield , both able to play box to box and my widemen would be Whatmore and Haynes with Collins and Heffernan up front in a two. At the present time I think Craig needs a break because he hasn't played since he became captain and I don't think Harris is quite ready to play full games just yet. Now to me that is playing round pegs in round holes. I know it's a bit radical playing players where they naturally seem to fit but that is how I see it.

Butcher out, some random in :rolleyes:

thebakerboy
08-02-2014, 08:10 PM
No I think Terry will sort it , it is more of a problem that we have no FULL BACKS so I think playing square pegs in round holes is th problem.

wookie70
08-02-2014, 10:26 PM
I actually agree with both those points of view. TB has a way he likes to play but he may have to sacrifice that because we don't have the square pegs. He may need to find a system that suits the players he has.

The one he played today didn't work. The biggest surprise from today was how much time Raith had on the ball. We were doing well in the first few weeks under TB because we were playing so high up the pitch and not giving the opposition any time to play. We put very little pressure on Raith when they had the ball today and that hasn't got too much to do with the system and more to do with workrate and attitude.

JollyGreenGiant
08-02-2014, 10:46 PM
I actually agree with both those points of view. TB has a way he likes to play but he may have to sacrifice that because we don't have the square pegs. He may need to find a system that suits the players he has.

The one he played today didn't work. The biggest surprise from today was how much time Raith had on the ball. We were doing well in the first few weeks under TB because we were playing so high up the pitch and not giving the opposition any time to play. We put very little pressure on Raith when they had the ball today and that hasn't got too much to do with the system and more to do with workrate and attitude.

That's what has annoyed me over the last couple of weeks. The players seemed to have stopped trying to impress the manager and slipped back into old habits!