PDA

View Full Version : Collins!...what is he good for ?

Moon unit
08-02-2014, 07:51 PM
Say it again?... Running around like a headless chicken..does this constitute good forward play?
i have yet to see this guy have a decent game,apart from the odd fem minutes...please stick someone else up front!

Carheenlea
08-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Not for latching onto aimless punts from Nelson`s boot, that`s for sure. Could be a decent striker in a decent team playing football though.

hibee_girl
08-02-2014, 07:54 PM
I actually like Collins, there is a good player in there. However, he said in his very first interview that he's not a target man yet since the first minute we've played him that's exactly what we've tried to do to him, every ball to him is a high one. He also cannot play up front on his own, he had a good partnership going with Heffernan, I don't understand why we didn't play them both up front today.

SouthamptonHibs
08-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Say it again?... Running around like a headless chicken..does this constitute good forward play?
i have yet to see this guy have a decent game,apart from the odd fem minutes...please stick someone else up front!

I think he is brutal but my dad thinks he's good!
I've been consistent all season, gutted that he has turned out to be useless

Jonnyboy
08-02-2014, 07:56 PM
It's interesting that every time an aimless punt is played in the direction of Collins it's his fault as opposed to the guy that punted the ball at him. He's very poor in the air. We can all see that. Why can't his team mates?

tamig
08-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Collins didn't have one of his better days today - along with most of his team mates. The service to him is shocking though.

ian omand
08-02-2014, 08:04 PM
You tell me what he was supposed to do with the ball hammered at him between midriff and head height with nobody running in behind him?
Then tel replaces like for like brings on a complete bloody stranger when the real problems lay elsewhere
But nae worries Malpas is the best coach in scotland!

SaulGoodman
08-02-2014, 08:08 PM
Collins! What is he good for?

Absolutely nothing

Like the song, before someone goes mental

Bobby's Cinema
08-02-2014, 08:11 PM
He cannot judge the flight of the football and offers us a 5/10 each week.

08-02-2014, 08:13 PM
I have to say, although there have been the odd moments of good in there, i've failed to be over impressed by him tbh.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-02-2014, 08:13 PM
He is no world beater but lets face it, the guy doesn't get proper service to score goals.

ian omand
08-02-2014, 08:15 PM

Absolutely nothing

Don't blame the management though because it had nothing to do with them.

Fergus52
08-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Funny how on the player of the season so far many posters were mentioning him and now there's a thread slating him

Nevi_SOL
08-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Inthink he gets mixed up with positions, there is coming deep for the ball but you have to get yourself in good positions for to take a chance

Cropley10
08-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Woeful. Got totally bullied by a Second tier team.

ian omand
08-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Woeful. Got totally bullied by a Second tier team.

But his replacement really kicked ass.

DaveF
08-02-2014, 08:26 PM
He's not a target man and he's not a striker. 1st touch is a tackle.

If he's at ER next season then I'll be amazed as he is simply not good enough.

DH1875
08-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Funny how on the player of the season so far many posters were mentioning him and now there's a thread slating him

:tee hee::tee hee::tee hee:. I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw this thread.

Thecat23
08-02-2014, 08:35 PM
I think he is brutal but my dad thinks he's good!
I've been consistent all season, gutted that he has turned out to be useless

He hasn't though. He's worked his arse off in most game. Do you go??

merritthibees
08-02-2014, 08:38 PM
He's not a striker that's going to get is 15-20 goals a season... He's their as a hold up player IMO! And I think he is brilliant at it! As said before, long punts are no good... But if his team mates put it into his feet he can hold it up brilliantly! I know others will disagree because we just got knocked out and a lot have their back up but lets not just write him off! GGTTH

Northernhibee
08-02-2014, 08:39 PM
He's a really good player and we're stronger for having him in our team.

sleeping giant
08-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Probably in the minority here but I like him.

Cropley10
08-02-2014, 08:54 PM
He's a really good player and we're stronger for having him in our team.

Is he? Aye.

Cropley10
08-02-2014, 08:57 PM
But his replacement really kicked ass.

Haynes won two headers. Collins cannot head a ball. Haynes held it up twice and laid it off. Collins didn't manage this once.

He did the square root of nothing during his 60 mins on the pitch.

SouthamptonHibs
08-02-2014, 08:57 PM
He hasn't though. He's worked his arse off in most game. Do you go??

Season ticket holder mate. Mixture of going and watching on tv, tip he tries hard and top he runs around slot,
Problem, not fast, not a target man, not a pitcher not a creator! But in a way a footballer but none of the above. Workhorse yes

Northernhibee
08-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Is he? Aye.

Good point well made. :rolleyes:

Northernhibee
08-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Haynes won two headers. Collins cannot head a ball. Haynes held it up twice and laid it off. Collins didn't manage this once.

Scored two with his head last game.

Hibby70
He's actually good in the air when he's facing goal and he gets decent service. Problem is he never got any today. Harris was woeful today and made Collins look bad as well as the others that were lumping the ball up front. Not one of Collins' best games I agree but let's not make him the scapegoat others were much worse.

Cameron1875
He would run riot at a team like Motherwell. Pacy wingers and plenty service is what he thrives on, a bit like how Sutton was murder at Hearts and is now banging them in even though he's mince.

Biggie
08-02-2014, 09:01 PM
£200k ?!!.....wtf, whoever offloaded him to us for that deserves a medal.....useless in the air, touch like an elephant......as soon as Haynes came on we could play the ball up and it was getting held up for us to go again......defo one to get rid off in the summer

Jonnyboy
08-02-2014, 09:03 PM
I see the 200k Hibs.net fact has reared its head again :wink:

Northernhibee
£200k ?!!.....wtf, whoever offloaded him to us for that deserves a medal.....useless in the air, touch like an elephant......as soon as Haynes came on we could play the ball up and it was getting held up for us to go again......defo one to get rid off in the summer

Except he didn't cost near £200k.

sleeping giant

Scored two with his head last game.

:greengrin

weonlywon6-2
08-02-2014, 09:05 PM
He is no world beater but lets face it, the guy doesn't get proper service to score goals.

this is the issue.decent player in there but we just created very little today.

The Sea-gull
08-02-2014, 09:07 PM
I don't mind Collins, he's ok but if we are paying 200k or whatever it was for a striker he has to be game ready week in week out. Collins isn't. What frustrates me is if it wasn't for Fenlon's lazy and incompetent scouting we probably could have got a better player for less money. I sure they are out there and suspect Terry will find us someone better in the summer.

Still feel Collins could be better if he had a couple of decent pacey creative players either side of him and won't give up on him yet. I got savaged on here for questioning Collins very early on though - I never said he was poor but I did say given we paid a fee for him I had my doubts. These doubts still remain 6 months later. Doubt any of those who gave me grief for questioning Collins will acknowledge some of my points were valid any time soon though.

LaMotta
08-02-2014, 09:07 PM

Him being mentioned for best player of the season is an absolute joke. He had been dreadful from the start. Terrible touch and doesnt link up well. Crap at shooting crap at heading.

His only redeeming feature is that he works hard its the only reason i can think of that must be why people like him. I keep seeing people saying theres a good player in there somewhere.....heard it all before with alan o brien and de graaf. Hes shown nothing to suggest hes got what it takes to be a success here.

IberianHibernian
08-02-2014, 09:08 PM
£200k ?!!.....wtf, whoever offloaded him to us for that deserves a medal.....useless in the air, touch like an elephant......as soon as Haynes came on we could play the ball up and it was getting held up for us to go again......defo one to get rid off in the summerAnd pay off his contract and sign who ? Remember the three new players will be hoping to do well enough to get deals in England next year .

Northernhibee
08-02-2014, 09:11 PM
JAMES COLLINS DID NOT COST £200k. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO IT.

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest. Might need to make a "We couldn't get Sparky for £150k" one as well :greengrin

The Sea-gull
08-02-2014, 09:15 PM

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest. Might need to make a "We couldn't get Sparky for £150k" one as well :greengrin

Not saying he did cost 200k or that we could have got Sparky for 150k as I have no idea what is true and what is not but how do people know that these .net facts are not true?

Why was the Collins fee quoted as 200k in the media when he signed and it has been since when he is mentioned? If he didn't cost that much then all Hibs have to do is tell the media guys to stop quoting the 200k stuff.

Northernhibee
08-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Not saying he did cost 200k or that we could have got Sparky for 150k as I have no idea what is true and what is not but how do people know that these .net facts are not true?

Why was the Collins fee quoted as 200k in the media when he signed and it has been since when he is mentioned? If he didn't cost that much then all Hibs have to do is tell the media guys to stop quoting the 200k stuff.

Because Petrie has himself said he cost nothing near £200k?

Stax
08-02-2014, 09:17 PM

Absolutely nothing

Say it again

Biggie
08-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Except he didn't cost near £200k.

Ok fair enough....I'll re-phrase it....if we paid anything for him we were done......he's rank and nowhere near good enough for hibs....unless the bottom six is our benchmark

ian omand
08-02-2014, 09:31 PM
[QUOTE=Biggie;3901863]£200k ?!!.....wtf, whoever offloaded him to us for that deserves a medal.....useless in the air, touch like an elephant......as soon as Haynes came on we could play the ball up and it was getting held up for us to go again......defo one to get rid off in the summer[/QUOTECollins is not the reason we were gubbed today. Look toward the management ,we were second to everything they were like Barcelona in their awareness and positiveness compared to us, the fear is ofcourse that whilst the management has changed nothing else has.

Stax
08-02-2014, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=Biggie;3901863]£200k ?!!.....wtf, whoever offloaded him to us for that deserves a medal.....useless in the air, touch like an elephant......as soon as Haynes came on we could play the ball up and it was getting held up for us to go again......defo one to get rid off in the summer[/QUOTECollins is not the reason we were gubbed today. Look toward the management ,we were second to everything they were like Barcelona in their awareness and positiveness compared to us, the fear is ofcourse that whilst the management has changed nothing else has.
They were like Barcelona ?.... They deserved their win but away and have a lie down.

S4uzee
08-02-2014, 09:41 PM
He's awful, very rarely wins a ball in the air but according to many on here he will come good and be awesome when he gets service!

He got a knock down from a free kick in the first half, took an awful touch when he could easily have got a shot but I suppose he doesn't get service eh

The Sea-gull
08-02-2014, 09:45 PM

Yeah, I know Rod had said it was not a 200k transfer and while I'm not saying Rod would lie, could it be that it was not 200k up front but will be eventually.

Anyway, I don't really care and I always refer to JC as costing 200k or whatever it was. Whatever he cost, I'm looking for more from our main striker than we are getting from JC.

JollyGreenGiant
08-02-2014, 09:48 PM
He's awful, very rarely wins a ball in the air but according to many on here he will come good and be awesome when he gets service!

He got a knock down from a free kick in the first half, took an awful touch when he could easily have got a shot but I suppose he doesn't get service eh

HARSH! Lets not forget he is scoring goals in a poor Hibs team. Should never have been taken off, gives 100% and with better service he will come good! :agree:

Moon unit
08-02-2014, 09:52 PM
HARSH! Lets not forget he is scoring goals in a poor Hibs team. Should never have been taken off, gives 100% and with better service he will come good! :agree:

Sorry,but felt TB had no option but to take him off and try a differant striking option!
i would love to see this guy do really well,but he really needs to start making a bigger impact!

JollyGreenGiant
08-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Sorry,but felt TB had no option but to take him off and try a differant striking option!
i would love to see this guy do really well,but he really needs to start making a bigger impact!

And who did TB replace him with Haynes. Who had never played with the team, and no disrespect to him, but had no impact what so ever!

Thecat23
08-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Season ticket holder mate. Mixture of going and watching on tv, tip he tries hard and top he runs around slot,
Problem, not fast, not a target man, not a pitcher not a creator! But in a way a footballer but none of the above. Workhorse yes

I think with a proper striker he'll do well.

WeeRussell
08-02-2014, 10:11 PM
I've maintained from day one that Collins is not good enough. Seeing as someone has started a thread I will share my thoughts (not generally one for coming on and slating our players)

Admittedly I could be slightly biased as even if he was a decent player.. he's not my type of striker. However I do believe I am correct when I say he's not good enough in the air, strong enough as a hold-up player or indeed prolific enough to get away with being so immobile and lacking in technical ability. I don't think I've seen him catch a ball sweetly and take a decent pop on goal since he came to us. I don't recall him ever beating a man and he never seems to bully defenders (even the poor wee Hearts laddies he doesn't seem to give a hard time when we play against them.) So, as harshly put the OP's thread title may have been.. I think the point is valid.

Thankfully I never went to the game today so this isn't a knee-jerk reaction from what I seen. It's been my opinion since the first game he played.. I really hope he turns round and starts "banging in the goals" like he was at Swindon but I will be very surprised if this player is our main striker next season.

Moon unit
08-02-2014, 10:12 PM
And who did TB replace him with Haynes. Who had never played with the team, and no disrespect to him, but had no impact what so ever!

It's all about opinions!...I actually felt Haynes offered a threat when he came on!
not saying I'm right,again would love to see Collins start banging them in and prove to everyone he is worth a start.Maybe it's just a confidence thing?

Gus
08-02-2014, 10:14 PM
There are alot of p1sh threads on .net and this is defo up there with the best.

So many managers/coaches on here. Collins is a good player, suited to hoof ball as a lone striker......no.

Young, new league, different environment, ***** team mates are all factors.

Give the lad a break ffs. TB got his tactics wrong today...FACT.

JollyGreenGiant
08-02-2014, 10:22 PM
There are alot of p1sh threads on .net and this is defo up there with the best.

So many managers/coaches on here. Collins is a good player, suited to hoof ball as a lone striker......no.

Young, new league, different environment, ***** team mates are all factors.

Give the lad a break ffs. TB got his tactics wrong today...FACT.

Hope that's you being ironic :wink:

Pray4Marc
08-02-2014, 10:25 PM
I actually like Collins, there is a good player in there. However, he said in his very first interview that he's not a target man yet since the first minute we've played him that's exactly what we've tried to do to him, every ball to him is a high one. He also cannot play up front on his own, he had a good partnership going with Heffernan, I don't understand why we didn't play them both up front today.

Why we played 1 upfront against Raith Rovers beggars belief. Service to Collins was non existent today. Much better player when he has someone playing next to him.

Gus
08-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Hope that's you being ironic :wink:

probably more moronic after 6 hours in the Hibs club.

Just not into the player bashing, let alone a new player (which he is)

JollyGreenGiant
08-02-2014, 10:54 PM
probably more moronic after 6 hours in the Hibs club.

Just not into the player bashing, let alone a new player (which he is)

Moronic or ironic, either way I agree, think Collins gets an undeserved hard time! Best I have seen him play was against DUtd where he and Heff linked up really well. But upfront on his own and he looks ineffective!

Stevie Reid
08-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Given how we played today, his ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play (which he undoubtedly has) was going to be crucial - sadly he was very poor.

Still think he has a future though. Tends to snatch at some good chances but has had several great headed efforts on the few occasions that he has had good service.

leggeto
08-02-2014, 11:21 PM
A good work rate is all he has in his locker,he has the touch of a rapist,he can't hold up the ball,he can't win headers,not good enough for me id send him out on loan imo of coarse

truehibernian
08-02-2014, 11:27 PM

I'm sorry to tell you, yes he will cost that, very soon too.

Better news is we are looking at bringing in Josh Meekings from InvernessI'm told (today).

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-02-2014, 11:36 PM
I'm sorry to tell you, yes he will cost that, very soon too.

Better news is we are looking at bringing in Josh Meekings from InvernessI'm told (today).

Please say we are after Shinnie aswell!

truehibernian
08-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Please say we are after Shinnie aswell!

Nope (but I'd love him mate) - Vincent and Meekings are two of Tel's targets for summer I was told today. And we'll get them apparently.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Nope (but I'd love him mate) - Vincent and Meekings are two of Tel's targets for summer I was told today. And we'll get them apparently.

:top marks

bookert
08-02-2014, 11:42 PM

He had two headers which went to hibs players and a layoff which went to a hibs player and a shot which the keeper saved at his near post. What did Collins do?

JollyGreenGiant
08-02-2014, 11:50 PM
He had two headers which went to hibs players and a layoff which went to a hibs player and a shot which the keeper saved at his near post. What did Collins do?

Wow, what a performance! 2 headed passes and a weak shot at goal :confused:

Stevie Reid
08-02-2014, 11:53 PM

Come on. He hardly had a touch (not his fault) but looked decent when he did.

northern-hibee
08-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Worst hibs striker for many a long year. Should have been punted after the hearts cup fiasco. Utter garbage

silverhibee
08-02-2014, 11:58 PM

Do you have a link to that quote or when did Petrie say this.

B.H.F.C
09-02-2014, 12:00 AM

That is more than we got from JC today. And more than we have had in a few games. Need more of a goal threat from our first pick striker.

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-02-2014, 12:01 AM
Yams have scored more league goals. No helping, Him and heffernan are a poor front two.

JollyGreenGiant
09-02-2014, 12:05 AM
Worst hibs striker for many a long year. Should have been punted after the hearts cup fiasco. Utter garbage

C'mon, worst Hibs striker for many a long year :confused:

Bet you weren't saying that when he spun and shot into the top corner against the Jambos!

overdrive
09-02-2014, 12:07 AM
He's extremely poor. Scarily Haynes and Heffernan are far worse!

bookert
09-02-2014, 12:08 AM

I ask again what did Collins do

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-02-2014, 12:10 AM

Disagree.

JollyGreenGiant
09-02-2014, 12:14 AM
I ask again what did Collins do

Was unlucky not to score in the first half when keeper made a point blank save. I will concede he did not have his best game today, but think that was more to do with the fact he was on his own up front and got no support from our poor midfield (apart from Stanton).

bookert
09-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Was unlucky not to score in the first half when keeper made a point blank save. I will concede he did not have his best game today, but think that was more to do with the fact he was on his own up front and got no support from our poor midfield (apart from Stanton).
Admit I forgot that. I think the bigger concern is that the way we play under butcher and Malpas means we need a front man with a good touch and adept at holding the ball up and laying it off. Don't think that's Collins or anyone else we currently have. Craig brewster anyone.

Heisenberg
09-02-2014, 12:24 AM
I said a few weeks back that I thought he was pish and his performance against Raith has only backed that up even more. Mistimed every header he challenged for and he failed to control every other ball that was played to him. He is utterly terrible and has turned out to be a massive waste of our resources. Cheers Paddy Fenlon.

JollyGreenGiant
09-02-2014, 12:28 AM
Admit I forgot that. I think the bigger concern is that the way we play under butcher and Malpas means we need a front man with a good touch and adept at holding the ball up and laying it off. Don't think that's Collins or anyone else we currently have. Craig brewster anyone.

IMO Collins and Heffernan link up well when they start together, but unfortunately this had not been possible for much of the season.

Craig Brewster - the man we binned because he was not good enough :rolleyes:

bookert
09-02-2014, 12:34 AM
IMO Collins and Heffernan link up well when they start together, but unfortunately this had not been possible for much of the season.

Craig Brewster - the man we binned because he was not good enough :rolleyes:
I am not having a go at Collins, he does his best I am sure, I don't think the way we now play suits him. Mind you that might be generous to him

RIP Bestie
09-02-2014, 01:04 AM
This

wookie70
09-02-2014, 01:07 AM

The keeper couldn't have got out the way if he tried. Collins hit it straight at him with around half an empty goal to aim at. It did come quickly at him and it wasn't as easy as it may looked but I would err on the side of poor finish rather than unlucky.

He really doesn't look like a guy who is going to score 15-20 a year regardless of the system we are playing to me. One thing for sure is he cannot play as a battering ram type striker knocking the ball on from hoofs up the park. He is extremely poor in the air with his back to goal. In the last two games Stanton and Zoubit have won more flick ons that he has. I do think he needs to be trained in timing his leap and paying more attention to the ball than the man marking him.

Saturdays Hero
09-02-2014, 02:14 AM
He's mince...then I reckon we'd make Ibrahimovic look sh%+e,the football we play if u can call it that is dross :( ,can't remember the last time I was at a Hibs game & enjoyed the football.

DH1875
09-02-2014, 10:19 AM
OK, so did he or didn't he actually cost £200k?

Beefster
09-02-2014, 10:24 AM
It's interesting that every time an aimless punt is played in the direction of Collins it's his fault as opposed to the guy that punted the ball at him. He's very poor in the air. We can all see that. Why can't his team mates?

He might even have a chance if 75% of the balls hoofed at him were within 15 feet of him.

I've been saying for ages that our defenders are big contributors to why we don't score enough goals. Yesterday was just further evidence.

number 27
09-02-2014, 11:18 AM
I am intrigued by this idea that Collins needs different service. What kind of service would work for him? He never wins a headed challenge, you cant play it to feet because of his awful first touch, you cant play it behind the defence or into channels because he isn't quick enough and when we do get wide he doesnt make intelligent runs or take up dangerous positions.

I think the only way to play with Collins as striker is to ignore him and hope he doesn't get in the road.

Onion
09-02-2014, 12:24 PM
I am intrigued by this idea that Collins needs different service. What kind of service would work for him? He never wins a headed challenge, you cant play it to feet because of his awful first touch, you cant play it behind the defence or into channels because he isn't quick enough and when we do get wide he doesnt make intelligent runs or take up dangerous positions.

I think the only way to play with Collins as striker is to ignore him and hope he doesn't get in the road.

Collins has been with us long enough now to make this a decent question. For all the games he's played, there's very little evidence that service is the only thing that is holding him back from being a top SPFL striker.

Borderhibbie76
09-02-2014, 12:36 PM
Some writing off Haynes after a 15 min sub appearance...Ffs

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm_cabbaged
09-02-2014, 01:47 PM
200k striker v part-time centre half. Douglas Hill had him in is pocket. He also fulfilled a boyhood dream of scoring at ER, more than the striker did yesterday , pity it wasnae in a hibs shirt though.

Andy74
09-02-2014, 01:48 PM

Crossing the ball into the box for him from decent angles or getting to bye line and cutting it back. Looking at his goals for Swindon they were all good penalty box finishes but he had good quality deliveries getting to him.

At the moment we are just getting ball in quickly, not really thinking too much about getting into the right positions to make better deliveries.

He won quite a lot of headers yesterday that were being flicked on but with one up front and hitting him very early who is going to get them?

Heisenberg
09-02-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm struggling to remember him winning any headers when up against an opposition player. He almost always ended up missing the ball entirely giving the defender an easy clearance. I think its safe to say he's not been worth the money so far.

Smiggy 7-0
09-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Woeful. Got totally bullied by a Second tier team.He wasn't alone, we were bullied all over the park.

Smiggy 7-0
09-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Some writing off Haynes after a 15 min sub appearance...Ffs

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TapatalkI wouldn't, think this guy has plenty to offer, certainly more than the rest of the team with the exception of Stanton and Watmore.

cameronw-hfc
09-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Crossing the ball into the box for him from decent angles or getting to bye line and cutting it back. Looking at his goals for Swindon they were all good penalty box finishes but he had good quality deliveries getting to him.

At the moment we are just getting ball in quickly, not really thinking too much about getting into the right positions to make better deliveries.

He won quite a lot of headers yesterday that were being flicked on but with one up front and hitting him very early who is going to get them?

New poster here guys :duck:

I actually think, given pacey wingers that will drive into the box and cut it back, or get decent crosses in, Collins will get goals. He doesn't win a lot of headers from hoof balls up to him, as he said himself he isn't a target man, but he does win a lot of headers from crosses into the box when it's a decent delivery, and he usually gets them on target. He's forced 3 or 4 great saves from keepers from crosses in that he has got on the end of. I think give him until the end of the season, with 2 fast wingers (Harris and Watmore), and he will have changed peoples minds.

southsider
09-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Collins is right up there with the likes of Aly Scott, Martin Henderson and The Tank in the list of worse CF in a Hibs jersey. Cannot jump or hold the game up or beat a player. He is a bad junior. He should be binned....now.

Beefster
09-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Collins is right up there with the likes of Aly Scott, Martin Henderson and The Tank in the list of worse CF in a Hibs jersey. Cannot jump or hold the game up or beat a player. He is a bad junior. He should be binned....now.

Sometimes the team makes me disillusioned with Hibs. More often it's folk on here.

Jonnyboy
09-02-2014, 10:13 PM

Wow, you must have some football brain on you to decide that after a 30 minute appearance as a sub

snooky
09-02-2014, 11:40 PM
I'm struggling to remember him winning any headers when up against an opposition player . He almost always ended up missing the ball entirely giving the defender an easy clearance. I think its safe to say he's not been worth the money so far.

Agree. He did score with two headers the other week but they were unchallenged headers.
Granted he looks a busy lad but, he is weak in the air and anytime he does get a piece of the ball it's a skiff on to empty space.
Doesn't have much of a first touch from what I've seen and doesn't seem to beat anybody or make any clear scoring chances.
I really want him to do well - we all do - but, how long is the "player in there" going to take to come out? :I'm waiti
I'm afraid, there can't be much slack left in the rope of patience.

On the bright side, Duncan make our garden grow. Gaun yersel wee man.:thumbsup:

FranckSuzy
10-02-2014, 12:37 AM
C'mon, worst Hibs striker for many a long year :confused:

Bet you weren't saying that when he spun and shot into the top corner against the Jambos!

:agree: Exactly!

EVENTUALLY
10-02-2014, 09:00 AM

Don't forget Joe Ward.

Onion
10-02-2014, 09:18 AM
How much patience did ICT fans have with Billy McKay? He only scored 3 goals in 22 appearances in his first season for Inverness. Collins already has 6 in 20. It's his first season in Scottish football and it can take a while to adapt to this league. If we're still saying the same at this time next season, then fair enough, but I think he deserves some time.

Those poor ICT fans :cb. How did those 3 men and a dug cope ?

The majority of Hibs fans are simply fed up "showing patience" with our highly paid players such as Collins waiting for decent service and adapting to Scottish football, losing out on key targets and our managers (yet again) building their own teams. We've had 7 horrendous years of this.

No one expects miracles. All we want are some signs of steady, sustainable improvement without the usual kick on the teeth every few weeks. But sadly, that seems to be beyond them.

PHEONIXHIBS
10-02-2014, 10:29 AM
I think anyone who watches hibs regularly can see that collins is not great in the air and is often bullied by centre halfs. so that being the case should the question not be why are we continuously humping the ball from back to front to a man who clearly prefers the ball into feet ? how many times on saturday and most weeks have we seen aimless balls from williams and co. and for the record im in the camp that thinks collins will turn out a decent striker if given decent service as i honestly dont think anyone could critisise his fitness and willingness to chase down lost causes

Devine
10-02-2014, 12:39 PM
I keep seeing on this thread that hes not very good in the air...well that is certainly true but what is more glaringly obvious is his lack of ability to trap a ball, his first touch is woeful. For 200k in this day & age I expect a hell of a lot more the guy works hard granted but apart from that he is useless. Our strikers do deserve better service but they should still be able to hold the ball up and fight their corner against first division centre halfs not resemble a traffic cone!

Biggie
10-02-2014, 12:48 PM
awe jesus Devine, you've done it now !....better get your tin helmet on.

It seems we didn't pay £200k for this laddie...now if we had, we could agree with your comments, but since we didn't, it seems its ok to be pish....

PHEONIXHIBS
10-02-2014, 01:16 PM
I keep seeing on this thread that hes not very good in the air...well that is certainly true but what is more glaringly obvious is his lack of ability to trap a ball, his first touch is woeful. For 200k in this day & age I expect a hell of a lot more the guy works hard granted but apart from that he is useless. Our strikers do deserve better service but they should still be able to hold the ball up and fight their corner against first division centre halfs not resemble a traffic cone!

I agree with alot of your post, however i for one didnt expect a prolific goal scorer when we signed him, purely based on wiki stats (dangerous i know). but based on those stats he isnt far behid his goals to game ratio with swindon or shrewsbury. the fact that we paid a fee for him correctly makes expectations higher but without proper service that wont happen we seem to want to play this hoof ball at the moment and it isnt/wont work with the players we have. i actually think on saturday we started out properly with watmore bombing down the line cutting in and fireing the ball across the goal 2 players took bookings trying to stop him. then we reverted back to humping the ball long.. far too many underperformers at the moment collins included

StevieC
10-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Probably in the minority here but I like him.

You're not alone in that minority though.
He hasn't had much luck, and isn't adjusting well to the current style of play, but I think that he shows a very good ability to read a game and will do well.
The big question for me is not whether or not he is good enough, as I think he is, but whether his abilities are suited to the style of play that TB will want us to play.

leggeto
10-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Is Keith Wright still fit get him signed up

Unseen work
10-02-2014, 02:18 PM
He's a tough one, to me he's not great positionally, he very rarely seems to he in the right place for a midfielder to be able to pick him out infront of goal.

Wether he has stopped as he wasn't getting service from before is a different story but now with the likes of Stanton, watmore and Harris he will get chances. Up to him to take it

For example the chance Craig shot right to Collins foot and the keeper saved it from a yard, I understand it was a reaction shot but you need to score those.

Fwiw I think he looked at his most dangerous when Danny handling started the couple of games at the start under butcher and they were linking up well

Ronniekirk
10-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Collins didn't have one of his better days today - along with most of his team mates. The service to him is shocking though.

Apart from work rate and headers in box I am not his biggest fan and remain to be convinced he was worth the money spent A lot of people said we just need to get the right service to him and assumed that's what Watmore Hayes Harris and Zoubir were supposed to do provide more service .was not there on Saturday so don't know if they did or not .if they didn't then suggests T B s preparation for game with players hasn't worked or these players can't deliver the service needed but we need to work out what it is that is needed and get it sorted .

Hermit Crab
10-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Apart from work rate and headers in box I am not his biggest fan and remain to be convinced he was worth the money spent A lot of people said we just need to get the right service to him and assumed that's what Watmore Hayes Harris and Zoubir were supposed to do provide more service .was not there on Saturday so don't know if they did or not .if they didn't then suggests T B s preparation for game with players hasn't worked or these players can't deliver the service needed but we need to work out what it is that is needed and get it sorted .

How much did we spend on him?

I'm_cabbaged
10-02-2014, 09:42 PM
I've lost count the amount of times he should've been left one on one but he's too slow.

Ronniekirk
10-02-2014, 10:44 PM
How much did we spend on him?

We spent the most on him ,Nae idea what it was but there was talk of it being around £100',000 but whatever it was I don't see us getting any money for him unless he improves in new set up next season .

LaMotta
10-02-2014, 11:13 PM
I've lost count the amount of times he should've been left one on one but he's too slow.

and even if he did get to the one on one scenario I wouldn't bet much on him scoring.

craigmounthibby
10-02-2014, 11:51 PM
The shift the guy is asked to put in every week is horrendous. He, like most others, had a shocker on Saturday, but he's proven himself to be the hardest working player in the team since Butcher arrived. Whether he can score enough goals will depend on whether he gets decent service - 2 wingers on Saturday, but very few crosses into the box. The guy is also also only 22/23, so will hopefully get better, but he desperately needs someone up front to play alongside him to help him out - a Craig Brewster type player.

jakeshibs
11-02-2014, 10:48 AM
How much patience did ICT fans have with Billy McKay? He only scored 3 goals in 22 appearances in his first season for Inverness. Collins already has 6 in 20. It's his first season in Scottish football and it can take a while to adapt to this league. If we're still saying the same at this time next season, then fair enough, but I think he deserves some time.

well said,

Hibiza
11-02-2014, 11:33 AM
£200k ?!!.....wtf, whoever offloaded him to us for that deserves a medal.....useless in the air, touch like an elephant......as soon as Haynes came on we could play the ball up and it was getting held up for us to go again......defo one to get rid off in the summer Yup agent of the year award.

MrRobot
13-02-2014, 09:35 AM

Haynes? The guy who's just signed and we've yet to really see?

Mental.

The Sea-gull
13-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Wow, you must have some football brain on you to decide that after a 30 minute appearance as a sub

I know, give the guy a chance. I don't think Hayes will cut it though. That's not a judgement it's a prediction just based that on a hunch I have and nothing else. I won't be decrying him as mince unless after a few games he doesn't appear to offer much.

Pretty poor to make judgement on a player until they have had a decent chance to prove themselves though I would say I have seen plenty people rave and get excited about how good a new signing will be before he has even kicked a ball for us, often when it is a reserve player or lower league player from england or a foreign player nobody has ever heard of.

That is almost as bad as saying someone is pi$h before they have seen them. Gets skirted over on this board as there are too many people that start crying at the sign of a comment that is anything other than happy clapper positive about all things Hibs. Realistic and honest views get confused too often with negativity on here.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
13-02-2014, 02:28 PM
I think Collins work rate is superb, but I do think Heffernan is the best finisher at the club.

LancsHibs
13-02-2014, 02:37 PM
I think Collins work rate is superb, but I do think Heffernan is the best finisher at the club.

Apart from on Saturday:-(

Dinkydoo
13-02-2014, 05:41 PM
I like Collins but he's not a lone striker or a target man, so we need to stop trying to play him that way. He is a good finisher but when the chances are only falling to him he has a tendency to snatch at them. When we're playing with two up front and the midfield is working there is less pressure on Collins to score every chance that falls to him and arguably, as a result, he puts in a much improved performance.

PS: Can we please change the thread title. I can't watch Rush Hour every time I come on .Net! :greengrin

jeffers
13-02-2014, 05:43 PM
I like Collins but he's not a lone striker or a target man, so we need to stop trying to play him that way. He is a good finisher but when the chances are only falling to him he has a tendency to snatch at them. When we're playing with two up front and the midfield is working there is less pressure on Collins to score every chance that falls to him and arguably, as a result, he puts in a much improved performance.

PS: Can we please change the thread title. I can't watch Rush Hour every time I come on .Net! :greengrin

I genuinely have no idea how you can come to that conclusion.

Centre Hawf
14-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Miles better than Heffernan who in my opinion isn't up to much.

Scouse Hibee
14-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Bought as a striker and has failed miserably mainly due to the fact that we do not play to his strengths.

B.H.F.C
14-02-2014, 08:46 PM

Heff is proven goal scorer in the league. Been very stop start for him this year though.

Don't think Collins will start tomorrow.

Ronniekirk
15-02-2014, 12:06 AM
Bought as a striker and has failed miserably mainly due to the fact that we do not play to his strengths.

Apart from glancing headers in the box and work rate I have no idea what his strengths are

jon paul jones
15-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Apart from glancing headers in the box and work rate I have no idea what his strengths are

Spot on Ronnie. His one strength is guiding headers in. Why Hibs don't play to this strength at free kicks/corners I don't know? But that's Hibs......since ive been watching since 1982

Ronniekirk
15-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Spot on Ronnie. His one strength is guiding headers in. Why Hibs don't play to this strength at free kicks/corners I don't know? But that's Hibs......since ive been watching since 1982
You don't play harmonica in a blues band by any chance. .? He has brought in wingers so assume if Collins plays then we need to see if they can provide that sort of delivery For him

emerald green
15-02-2014, 12:08 PM
It's too easy to pick on one player. It's a team game, and we win or lose as a team. Having said that, he's never worth £200k surely? His first touch is poor IMO. I'll always be grateful to him for his goal at ER against the yams though.

Beefster
15-02-2014, 12:42 PM
It's too easy to pick on one player. It's a team game, and we win or lose as a team. Having said that, he's never worth £200k surely? His first touch is poor IMO. I'll always be grateful to him for his goal at ER against the yams though.

Why would you pick £200k at random? He's not worth £14,546,195 either.

emerald green
15-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Why would you pick £200k at random? He's not worth £14,546,195 either.

Can't argue with that! I quoted £200k cos that's what has been widely reported in various media. I should know by now not to listen to that by now I suppose. :wink:

erin go bragh
15-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Thought i had logged onto keekback ! Ffs
Negative single fish like this will really help eh ?
Leave that crap for the bed wetters in keekback .
Cmon the Hbs , lets get back to winning ways today .

Ggtth

Makaveli
15-02-2014, 12:58 PM
He's had an impossible task recently, what with the shan service and total isolation.

I'm sure the goals will come soon when our general play improves.

Bobby's Cinema
15-02-2014, 01:28 PM
crazy opinion really. Collins has been given every chance and produced far too little. At first it looked like a case of he's not getting the service, but now it looks like he is just lacking quality.

spike220
15-02-2014, 01:32 PM
crazy opinion really. Collins has been given every chance and produced far too little. At first it looked like a case of he's not getting the service, but now it looks like he is just lacking quality.

Sparky took a while to get going!

Bobby's Cinema
15-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Sparky took a while to get going!
I'm not sure he did. Collins has it all to prove between now and the end of the season. I'm not sure he warrants a start every week at the minute

sleeping giant
15-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Couldnt disagree more. The Heff will score bucket loads for us.

sleeping giant
15-02-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure he did. Collins has it all to prove between now and the end of the season. I'm not sure he warrants a start every week at the minute
Did it not take LG 9 games before he scored for us ?

Elephant Stone
15-02-2014, 01:44 PM

He did, only scored 8 goals in his first full season. Collins already has 6 and you'd expect him to finish with more than 8.

Bobby's Cinema
15-02-2014, 01:45 PM
It's daft to try and equate the two. But the more time goes by, the easier it is to write Collins off. He needs to start showing more.

He does not start today incidentally.

Elephant Stone
15-02-2014, 01:45 PM

Yup, scored 2 in his first 12.