PDA

View Full Version : The 2nd Raith Rovers goal & the referee in general.

sbell1875
08-02-2014, 04:48 PM
From my position in the East I clearly saw the linesman flag for offside when the ball went in. Then the ref gives the goal.

If the linesman isn't there to spot offsides then what is the point in him even being there? I don't think I have ever seen a referee (who isn't even in a position to call it offside) overrule the linesman for a decision which is ultimately the responsibility of the linesman!

I'm still incandescent with rage nearly 3 hours after the incident occurred.

Don't get me wrong we were woeful today but yet again the referee thought the spotlight was only on him. Some utterly bizarre decisions culminating in the failure to book the Raith player for a deliberate handball. An offence which 2 weeks ago was a straight yellow card.

Biggie
08-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Said much the same to my son.......can't remember the last time a ref over ruled a Lino......same with the handball....ridiculous

TowerHibs
08-02-2014, 05:22 PM
not sure but need to see it again but the lino flagged as he thought there had been a flick on from a Raith player when infact i think it was one of our players who flicked it

like i say, need to see it again but think ref actually got it right.

Made some mistakes though

hibee_girl
08-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Offside or not we need to defend balls into the box much better than that

Nevi_SOL
08-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Referee performances are now putting me of going to easter road sometimes you have to look at it and you think is there a point

HibeeSince85
08-02-2014, 05:57 PM
When Watmore went over in the box late in the 2nd half. Was it a penalty?

Ref was shocking today. The offside. Failing to ever allow advantage. Poor from him.

IFONLY
08-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Referee performances are now putting me of going to easter road sometimes you have to look at it and you think is there a point
That and the performance from the team

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Laughable decision. Defo looked a pen for Watmore but not seen it again. If these things even themselves out over a season then we'll need to get this season extended by 12 months. ****ing shambles

leggeto
08-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Terrible refereeing performance again we are just not getting the 50/50 decisions,and a special mention to cardle the smug little shi@te goading us after booting away time wasting which should have been another yellow,wanted to throttle him after that

lumbo_hfc
08-02-2014, 06:04 PM
not sure but need to see it again but the lino flagged as he thought there had been a flick on from a Raith player when infact i think it was one of our players who flicked it

like i say, need to see it again but think ref actually got it right.

Made some mistakes though

Thats the way i seen it aswell, the ref seemed to think it was Liam Craig and not there player who headed it on, therefore not offside but ou would have at least expected the ref to speak to the lino

The ref had a shocker for both teams, the handball and no yellow was a shocker but never changed the game really and how raith never got a penalty when there player won the header then got cleaned out from either craig or forster, i will never know. The boy apparently has a broken cheekbone.

Onion
08-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Thats the way i seen it aswell, the ref seemed to think it was Liam Craig and not there player who headed it on, therefore not offside but ou would have at least expected the ref to speak to the lino

The ref had a shocker for both teams, the handball and no yellow was a shocker but never changed the game really and how raith never got a penalty when there player won the header then got cleaned out from either craig or forster, i will never know. The boy apparently has a broken cheekbone.

The Raith player headed it first and it just deflected off Craigs head to the boy who scored. As such, the boy should have been given offside.

lumbo_hfc
08-02-2014, 06:18 PM
The Raith player headed it first and it just deflected off Craigs head to the boy who scored. As such, the boy should have been given offside.
At first thats what i thought happened meaning it was offside, would like to see it again as i was away down the other side in the west! But the ref must have thought it had only came off craig, so a mistake from him!

Moon unit
08-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Laughable decision. Defo looked a pen for Watmore but not seen it again. If these things even themselves out over a season then we'll need to get this season extended by 12 months. ****ing shambles
Just outside the box mate!..from my seat

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Nah MU, I'm not meaning the first half one mate. That was just outside. I'm talking about the one with 5 mins left when it looked like he got taken down from behind. Looked a stonewaller from where I was sat

Sylar
08-02-2014, 06:51 PM
From my position in the East I clearly saw the linesman flag for offside when the ball went in. Then the ref gives the goal.

If the linesman isn't there to spot offsides then what is the point in him even being there? I don't think I have ever seen a referee (who isn't even in a position to call it offside) overrule the linesman for a decision which is ultimately the responsibility of the linesman!

Don't get me wrong we were woeful today but yet again the referee thought the spotlight was only on him. Some utterly bizarre decisions culminating in the failure to book the Raith player for a deliberate handball. An offence which 2 weeks ago was a straight yellow card.

I've seen it a couple of times before when the ref notices a touch/deflection that takes the ball through, so even if a player is in an offside position, the ref can overrule the linesman.

I'm not saying that was the case for today (as I haven't seen it) but it is possible and has happened before.

Nevi_SOL
08-02-2014, 07:10 PM
That and the performance from the team

Exactly buddy

Jonnyboy
08-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Nah MU, I'm not meaning the first half one mate. That was just outside. I'm talking about the one with 5 mins left when it looked like he got taken down from behind. Looked a stonewaller from where I was sat

Defender got the ball so no penalty. Ref was dire but we were worse

KingFranck
08-02-2014, 07:20 PM
OP is spot on Nelson booked for hand ball v Celtic which he couldn't help Raith player punches the ball on purpose no card unbelievable really

speedy_gonzales
08-02-2014, 07:22 PM
I remember a similar incident at ER v's Celtic(i think, been in pub most of the day) Celtic scored and the linesman flagged offside, turned out the ball in to the box was played by a Hibs player(I think Brebner), referee awarded the goal and the linesman was sconned on the napper by a pie from the east!

theonlywayisup
08-02-2014, 07:34 PM
The ref was poor, but not the reason we lost.

The penalty claim, from my view in the FFL, the Raith player got the ball. Watmore, made nothing of it, shaking hands with the Raith player, in effect saying well done for the tackle!

The Raith second goal, I thought the first touch, after the free-kick was played into our box, was by our player playing it towards our goal - therefore not offside.

That was my take on it. I could be wrong for both, but the ref only has one view of it and I thought he got both right.

Green Man
08-02-2014, 08:46 PM
I remember a similar incident at ER v's Celtic(i think, been in pub most of the day) Celtic scored and the linesman flagged offside, turned out the ball in to the box was played by a Hibs player(I think Brebner), referee awarded the goal and the linesman was sconned on the napper by a pie from the east!

I remember that well, McCurry was the referee and I was going mental at him. On seeing it on telly I realised he'd made a very good decision.

tamig
08-02-2014, 09:01 PM

They are mic'd up so he probably did talk to him.

Pete
08-02-2014, 09:04 PM
When Watmore went over in the box late in the 2nd half. Was it a penalty?

Ref was shocking today. The offside. Failing to ever allow advantage. Poor from him.

No it wasn't.

They dealt with us today. It was easy.

Boyle89
08-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Need to see the 2nd goal again but I don't think he even went over to talk to the lino. Ref was horrendous. Collins got mugged then two seconds later does the same an gets a foul given against him. For the player punching the ball away, is that not two yellows?!! One for deliberate handball and another for knocking the ball away? Also cardle is a little rat. Ref just didn't want any hassle. Can't blame him for being pish though.

JohnStephens91
09-02-2014, 02:41 AM

It was the same game that Moravcik scored a screamer in and we got beat 4-1, Paul Fenwick scored with a late header for us. A fan also jumped over to the trackside and gave the linesman abuse, I think he got a banning order for it too.

Hibs Class
09-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Terrible refereeing performance again we are just not getting the 50/50 decisions,and a special mention to cardle the smug little shi@te goading us after booting away time wasting which should have been another yellow,wanted to throttle him after that

I was a bit surprised at cardle. Could understand grainger acting the prick at the recent St M game given his history, but not aware of any reason why cardle should feel any particular hostility towards us?

hibs0666
09-02-2014, 08:19 AM

The ref was spot on as it was clear that Craig had touched the ball back.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

greenginger
09-02-2014, 08:41 AM
I see referee Steven Mclean also refereed Raith Rovers last tie against Dundee.

I know it should'nt make any difference, but with all the refs. available why have the same guy refereeing the same team in consecutive rounds. :confused:

Alfred E Newman
09-02-2014, 09:38 AM
The ref was spot on as it was clear that Craig had touched the ball back.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Just watched the highlights and the Raith player out jumped Craig to head the ball on. Off side.

NGP
09-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Just watched the highlights and the Raith player out jumped Craig to head the ball on. Off side.

Raith player won the ball (as they did all game). Offside.

gackohibs
09-02-2014, 10:33 AM

You know what annoyed me more than the refs decision to ignore the linesmans offside call? NOT ONE Hibs player reacted to the fact that the flag went up.

IMO if they all put their hands up and pointed to the lino, they would have put pressure on the ref to call it correctly. They didnt, and we'll have to live with that.

Credit to Raith as they obviously wanted it more. Seems that the confidence and fight and desire that Terry initially brought has faded. And fast.
Cant wait till the season is over.

hibbysam
09-02-2014, 10:00 PM
You know what annoyed me more than the refs decision to ignore the linesmans offside call? NOT ONE Hibs player reacted to the fact that the flag went up.

IMO if they all put their hands up and pointed to the lino, they would have put pressure on the ref to call it correctly. They didnt, and we'll have to live with that.

Credit to Raith as they obviously wanted it more. Seems that the confidence and fight and desire that Terry initially brought has faded. And fast.

The hibs players actually got ready to take the free kick as they knew it was offside... It wasn't until the ref got to half way and decided he wasn't gonna speak to his linesman that the hibs players realised he was going to give the goal!

The ref couldn't be sure it never touched there boys head as even after many replays I'm sure I can see the touch off there head! Would it have changed the game? No as we equalised before half time... Should it be let go though because of this? No! The Lino is there for a reason and should be used not completely ignored by an arrogant prick in the middle!!

givescotlandfreedom
09-02-2014, 10:06 PM

True if it was Celtc the while team would've been going bananas and it seems to help them.

Gus Fring
09-02-2014, 10:35 PM

James Collins was screaming at the ref and pointing towards the linesman as soon as he realised he had given a goal and not offside.

MB62
10-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Thought it was offside at the game, having seen it plenty times on T.V. in super slow mo, it was DEFINITELY OFFSIDE.
The Raith player flicks it first, it scuffs Craig's head but regardless of this, the goalscorer is in an offside position from when the free kick was taken.
Never in my life have I see a ref over rule his assistant at an offside without consulting him first, in fact, it's normally the other way round, the linseman normally gets the decision over the ref in these situations.

Nae excuses though, we deserved nowt from that game and Butcher has to take his share of the blame too.

Jones28
10-02-2014, 08:03 AM
100% offside IMO, surprised at pat Nevin on sportscene saying it wasn't

hibee_girl
10-02-2014, 08:26 AM
James Collins was screaming at the ref and pointing towards the linesman as soon as he realised he had given a goal and not offside.

:agree: a few of them were questioning the ref, Stevenson was questioning him about it still when the next ball went out of play

ahibby
10-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Definitely offside, no question.

GreenArmyyy!
10-02-2014, 10:53 AM
I was a bit surprised at cardle. Could understand grainger acting the prick at the recent St M game given his history, but not aware of any reason why cardle should feel any particular hostility towards us?

Wanted to rip that wee p****s head off!

Geo_1875
10-02-2014, 02:07 PM
If you watch the Sportscene highlights the linesman looks as baffled as the Hibs players as he walks back to halfway.

JimBHibees
10-02-2014, 02:11 PM
If you watch the Sportscene highlights the linesman looks as baffled as the Hibs players as he walks back to halfway.

Probably delighted as he is a yam.

Boyle89
10-02-2014, 02:26 PM

He should have called the ref over an told him that he was 100% sure it was offside. How can the ref make that call when he's not looking along the line?!

snooky
10-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Nh
I remember that well, McCurry was the referee and I was going mental at him. On seeing it on telly I realised he'd made a very good decision.

Good decision? That would have been a first for that cheating wee toad.
One of the worst for giving the OF everything.