PDA

View Full Version : Is Nelson any better than McPake?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Thoughts? I don't think he is. When McPake is fully fit and injury free, he is better IMO.

Bleeds green
08-02-2014, 05:17 PM
No

skipster7
08-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Yes poor today but does the simple things well, makes Hanlon a better player knowing hes not going to spend larcge chunks of the match on his erchie

Pray4Marc
08-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Nelson has been solid for us since his arrival. The defeat today was not of his doing.

silverhibee
08-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Pish player who only knows one thing, HOOF.

Beefster
08-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Nelson's woeful. I like players who can pass to teammates.

tamig
08-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Yes. Would have him over McPake any day.

Ozyhibby
08-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Yes but he is woeful.

GreenCastle
08-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Both very limited footballers...we need a new CH to partner Hanlon.

Del Boy
08-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Better than McPake. But needs replaced in summer.

Cropley10
08-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Yes. McPake is terrible. Nelson had a bad day but didn't get sent off.

Pretty Boy
08-02-2014, 06:13 PM
His defending is normally decent, his distribution is normally woeful.

If his defending lets him down, as it has the last couple of games then he looks pretty poor.

The constant hoofs really **** me off.

Brooster
08-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Embarrassing involvement at the first goal.

Weir7
08-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Nelson has been solid for us since his arrival. The defeat today was not of his doing.

Look at the goals we've lost this season. He's a pub player. Disgrace he got a 2 year deal.

sbell1875
08-02-2014, 06:21 PM
His defending is normally decent, his distribution is normally woeful.

If his defending lets him down, as it has the last couple of games then he looks pretty poor.

The constant hoofs really **** me off.

It's easy to blame Nelson for the hoofs but should the midfield not be taking some of the blame for not coming short for the ball?

Nelson does what he has to do. He wins headers and clears when he needs to. Hanlon is the better technical player of the 2 so the passing gets left to him on most occasions.

Until the recent collapse in defending Nelson & Hanlon looked really solid.

hibbysam
08-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Totally sold himself on the touch line for the first goal... Two goals lost to balls into the box as well from wide/set pieces so centre half has to take some accountability for that as well!

Onion
08-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Bad, bad game today. Hanlon & Forster were also abysmal and basically gifted the game to Raith.

PeterboroHibee
08-02-2014, 06:53 PM
I personally think Nelson is quite a poor defender. His reading of the game is alright, and he tends to do well in physical/aerial battles, but hes an absolute nightmare for booting the ball and against really tricky players I think he is found out.

Nevi_SOL
08-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Both as bad as each other IMHO

Greenblood70
08-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Pish player who only knows one thing, HOOF.

This, reminds me of a junior level player when they're coming to the end of their playing days. In his defence he never shirks anything and is brave as they come, he just doesn't have the ability or mobility required to improve us IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sleeping giant
08-02-2014, 07:01 PM
I look forward to seeing a fully fit McPake back captaining the side.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-02-2014, 07:04 PM
I look forward to seeing a fully fit McPake back captaining the side.

This.

neil7908
08-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Both as bad as each other IMHO

Totally agree, haven't seen anything since he signed for us to suggest he has what it takes to improve the side. His distribution is truly appalling.

Both him and McPake give 100% but just aren't up to the job if we want to be a side that gets into Europe and wins trophies regularly.

lumbo_hfc
08-02-2014, 07:11 PM
At fault for the first goal and the other 2 goals from crosses in the box, i beg to differ!

It's easy to blame Nelson for the hoofs but should the midfield not be taking some of the blame for not coming short for then?
No, thats butchers fault!!

Judas Iscariot
08-02-2014, 07:14 PM
No, McPake is a far better player

Said from his 1st game that Nelson was hopeless..

I stand by that assessment

McKenzie
08-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Yes but that's not saying much. Would still like to see Forster and Hanlon as the centre half pairing with Boateng right and McGiven left. All of them can pick a pass an work from the back

silverhibee
08-02-2014, 07:51 PM
It's easy to blame Nelson for the hoofs but should the midfield not be taking some of the blame for not coming short for the ball?

Nelson does what he has to do. He wins headers and clears when he needs to. Hanlon is the better technical player of the 2 so the passing gets left to him on most occasions.

Until the recent collapse in defending Nelson & Hanlon looked really solid.

A we example, Nelson got the ball of the goalie in the 2nd half, he had plenty time to pick a pass, the obvious choice was to play it out to Foster who was in acres of space, but nope, hoofed up the park and it went through to there goalie, easy stuff for Raith to defend, his only thought is to dump the ball up the park at every opportunity, poor player who i hope is replaced in the summer.

dave62
08-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Nelson's an old fashioned stopper. He can make tackles, head and kick the ball the way he's facing and put the opposing forwards on their backsides, but ask any more than that and you're going to be disappointed.

He has had some decent games for us, but to answer the OP's question, I'd rather have McPake,

RIP Bestie
08-02-2014, 11:50 PM
Simple answer for me, yes he is but that's not to say he is good enough.
Nelson is a one dimensional old fashioned centre half who knows his limitations. He will clear his lines without any level of subtlety. McPake on the other hand thinks he's a good player and he never will be.

Stevie Reid
08-02-2014, 11:57 PM
I like Nelson, though he can look very poor at times. I thought McGivern was a weak link at the back, and do think he's too easily beaten on the deck, but the defence that looked so solid a few weeks ago fell apart after Hanlon and RM were injured.

Love Lewis but he's not had a good few weeks at LB, where he has traditionally done well. Him and Ryan had a good understanding going forward too.

Shame that back four was broken up - our last good defensive performance was at Pittodrie.

Heisenberg
09-02-2014, 12:27 AM
He has been very poor recently. Along with Forster. Our defence and keeper have gone from totally solid to a complete shambles in a matter of weeks.

MrRobot
09-02-2014, 11:28 AM
I want McPake back in the team.

J-C
09-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Is Nelson better than McPake? answer NO, both are not anywhere near good enough for us. Our defence has been the main problem at this club for 5 years now and a total new one is required, 2 fb's, 2 cb's and at least 3 back for cover.

Blackhall Hibby
09-02-2014, 12:05 PM
The whole defence was poor yesterday, not just Nelson. Given he scored and hit the bar, he at least offers a robust challenge from dead ball positions in the opposition box. IMO the worst defender yesterday was Forster, continually poor distribution, lack of pace and out of position regularly. Look at the first goal, Nelson got skinned on the touchline covering for Forster, and when Cardle burst into the box, Forster is clearly seen just jogging back! I thought he was poor at CH against Celtic too. Given our lack of cover at fullback is clear for all to see with Forster and Stevenson filling in, why didn't TB do something about that during the window instead of adding two up top?

ManBearPig
09-02-2014, 12:08 PM
the defence has been poor recently but was doing really well when fully fit back four of nelson hanlon mcgivern and forster. remove one of the elements and seems to fall apart!

ManBearPig
09-02-2014, 12:08 PM
The whole defence was poor yesterday, not just Nelson. Given he scored and hit the bar, he at least offers a robust challenge from dead ball positions in the opposition box. IMO the worst defender yesterday was Forster, continually poor distribution, lack of pace and out of position regularly. Look at the first goal, Nelson got skinned on the touchline covering for Forster, and when Cardle burst into the box, Forster is clearly seen just jogging back! I thought he was poor at CH against Celtic too. Given our lack of cover at fullback is clear for all to see with Forster and Stevenson filling in, why didn't TB do something about that during the window instead of adding two up top?

agreed.

ManBearPig
09-02-2014, 12:09 PM
I like Nelson, though he can look very poor at times. I thought McGivern was a weak link at the back, and do think he's too easily beaten on the deck, but the defence that looked so solid a few weeks ago fell apart after Hanlon and RM were injured.

Love Lewis but he's not had a good few weeks at LB, where he has traditionally done well. Him and Ryan had a good understanding going forward too.

Shame that back four was broken up - our last good defensive performance was at Pittodrie.

amd sorry I habe just basically repeated your comment but agree completely

Hiber-nation
09-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Nelson is absolute murder, lost count of the number of goals he's been culpable for this season. 2 more yesterday. Surely Boateng will be brought in on Saturday.

seven nowt
09-02-2014, 08:09 PM
I hate seeing all this McPake abuse. I am still sticking by him. I hope he still has a part to play at the club.

Carheenlea
09-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Nelson's an old fashioned stopper. He can make tackles, head and kick the ball the way he's facing and put the opposing forwards on their backsides, but ask any more than that and you're going to be disappointed.

I agree with this.

I felt that when Jordon Forster was introduced to the side partnering Paul Hanlon at the back end of last season, we played some of our best football for some time. Unlike James McPake, who he replaced, he played with his head up, stepping forward and looking to pass the ball into midfield, and was reluctant to just hoof it as far as he could in whatever direction he was facing. Nelson has some decent attributes, but distribution is not one of them.

stewpot
09-02-2014, 08:28 PM
No, McPake is a far better player

Said from his 1st game that Nelson was hopeless..

I stand by that assessment
Agree with this

he never is and never will be a player....... Very first game he was murder and hasn't improved

B.H.F.C
09-02-2014, 09:03 PM
I think his distribution is a major issue for us. Nearly every time he has the ball he just gives it back to the opposition resulting in us being under unnecessary pressure. He's aggressive and can head a ball but you could say that about a lot of poor central defenders. To improve as a team we absolutely need better.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-02-2014, 09:11 PM
I hate seeing all this McPake abuse. I am still sticking by him. I hope he still has a part to play at the club.

Me too.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-02-2014, 09:33 PM
This center half we are talking about that dominates the back line, doesn't let attackers past him, wins everything in the air and is confident enough on the ball to bring it out of defence and pick a pass is very unlikely to play for Hibs. This is Nelson not Puyol. This like buying a Fiat and then mumping cos it's no a Ferrari.

RIP Bestie
09-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Therein lies the problem. Replace mediocrity with even more mediocrity.

Audio Visual
09-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Season is effectively over, time to use the rest of the campaign productively. Arguments over McPake v Nelson are pointless; both have done their best for Hibs. However, if the cup defeat has any merit whatsoever, it is surely only that TB & MM can start preparing immediately for next season. Yes, there will be plenty new faces in the summer but from now till then, let's use the time productively to establish who of the current crop are worth a second/third/fourth chance (delete as appropriate).

For me, it is time to put faith in cultivating the Forster and Hanlon partnership and letting it blossom. These two should be our central defence for the foreseeable future and only big money offers should split them. Keep Stanton in the middle and get Thomson back in when fit to see if his undoubted footballing skills and experience can indeed fit into the 'Butcher Model' - better that than letting him go and regretting it for the next few years. Let the rest of them (KT included) fight tooth and nail to prove that they merit their place next season and beyond and then be thoroughly unsentimental when it comes to letting them go if they don't shape up. The rest is up to Marsella, Malpas, Butcher and indeed Petrie to try and re-shape the team in the summer to take us where we should be. Aberdeen have shown that years of underachieving can be relatively easily overcome with the right manager, some astute signings and the right mentality.

Over to you Tel...

RIP Bestie
09-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Season is effectively over, time to use the rest of the campaign productively. Arguments over McPake v Nelson are pointless; both have done their best for Hibs. However, if the cup defeat has any merit whatsoever, it is surely only that TB & MM can start preparing immediately for next season. Yes, there will be plenty new faces in the summer but from now till then, let's use the time productively to establish who of the current crop are worth a second/third/fourth chance (delete as appropriate).

For me, it is time to put faith in cultivating the Forster and Hanlon partnership and letting it blossom. These two should be our central defence for the foreseeable future and only big money offers should split them. Keep Stanton in the middle and get Thomson back in when fit to see if his undoubted footballing skills and experience can indeed fit into the 'Butcher Model' - better that than letting him go and regretting it for the next few years. Let the rest of them (KT included) fight tooth and nail to prove that they merit their place next season and beyond and then be thoroughly unsentimental when it comes to letting them go if they don't shape up. The rest is up to Marsella, Malpas, Butcher and indeed Petrie to try and re-shape the team in the summer to take us where we should be. Aberdeen have shown that years of underachieving can be relatively easily overcome with the right manager, some astute signings and the right mentality.

Over to you Tel...
Let's not be too hasty here. We are only 6 points off the play-off place.

The Sea-gull
10-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Is Nelson better than McPake? More consistent probably and though a bit of a plodder he is ok at SPL level most of the time. Longer term we need someone better to play with Hanlon though.

I'm not convinced McPake was ever that good, he just had the right character at a time when we needed it but he didn't carry it through for long. I know injury has a lot ot do with this.

Stephen McManus would have been better than either of them and he was our top target last summer. Guess what. We missed out on him (to the mighty Motherwell at that) and guess what, he is an integral part of a team having a good season. I was dissappointed that we didn't get him and said as much at the time only to shot down on by the experts on here saying he wasn't all that and that we'd get better. Hasn't quite worked out like that though.

JimBHibees
10-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Thoughts? I don't think he is. When McPake is fully fit and injury free, he is better IMO.

How long would we have to wait to find out. Nelson is a more solid defender generally IMO however was poor on Saturday though the midfield shape didnt help our poor defence also

JimBHibees
10-02-2014, 12:02 PM

Agree with that. Ironic thing was Lewis was playing out of his skin in midfield however went back in the St Mirren game and has looked poor since.

Defensively we were poor on Saturday however the midfield of two young wingers plus Craig who looked slow as in the middle and Taiwo who I personally thought should have stayed on as he was the only one that won a tackle in the middle didnt help at all. Was Robertson on the bacn as we definitely could have done with his energy about the park with maybe Craig to left mid and Harris off.

Winston Ingram
10-02-2014, 12:28 PM
I'm not really a fan of Nelson. Decent back up but should be behind Forster and McPake when it comes to partnering Hanlon.

I really rated McPake prior to his back injury. Since that kicked in however he was awful and as things stand he's really going to have to go some to get a new deal

silverhibee
10-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Let's not be too hasty here. We are only 6 points off the play-off place.

St Johnstone have a game in hand, if they were to win it it would mean we are 7 points of top six and only six points away from a play-off at the bottom of the table, next two games, we have to win both so we don't get dragged down there, or if folk think there is knee jerk reaction to going out the cup on Saturday what will be like in a fight at the bottom in a couple of weeks time.