PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fenlon in the Irish Independent. (SHC)

Prawn Sandwich
07-02-2014, 07:44 PM
In today's Independent about Pat Fenlon wanting another crack at Management in England or Scotland.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/i-just-want-to-give-it-another-crack-29987544.html

dp00
07-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Good Luck to the guy...

Left us in a better state than he found us

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Hibercelona
07-02-2014, 08:00 PM
I'm sure he'll take plenty from his time with us and will become an even better manager because of it.

Good luck to him.

Scottie
07-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Always liked the guy. Thought he tried his best but came up a little short at times.

Good luck to you Pat wherever you end up.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-02-2014, 08:08 PM
Good luck Pat:aok:

Gus Fring
07-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Took us to 2 finals and had the sense to leave when he felt his time was up which is considerably better than the man he replaced.

Good luck Pat, hope you find success somewhere else.

Craig_in_Prague
07-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the humiliations, lack of football, barely a win at home, slow turgid fitbaw.... and now I finally feel back interested in the hibees again, going to ER next week!

Mark79
07-02-2014, 08:26 PM
He will be lucky.

AltheHibby
07-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Nice guy, I hope things go well for him.

Waxy
07-02-2014, 08:31 PM
There's a crock a gold at the end o the rainbow.

Scouse Hibee
07-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Left us better off? Tough one this..................got to two cup finals but couldn't get the team to turn up for either, played some of the worst football I've watched at times, jeez good job he started with ****** and managed to leave us with just pish.

All the best though Pat thanks for some of the memories.

greenpaper55
07-02-2014, 08:37 PM
I heard from a good source that pat was home in Ireland nearly every week and often for three and sometimes four days, also that some players were ruling the roost so to speak. Make of it what you will but i trust the person who told me. Having said that i have no hard feelings about the man, he tried his best but it was not good enough.

Chibs
07-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Genuine nice guy.
football manager nope.

Scouse Hibee
07-02-2014, 08:40 PM
I heard from a good source that pat was home in Ireland nearly every week and often for three and sometimes four days, also that some players were ruling the roost so to speak. Make of it what you will but i trust the person who told me. Having said that i have no hard feelings about the man, he tried his best but it was not good enough.

Sorry I don't believe that at all.

green.and.white
07-02-2014, 08:45 PM

So the manager was present at training once a week? Bull....

Gus Fring
07-02-2014, 09:05 PM
So the manager was present at training once a week? Bull....

I've heard that said about Calderwood but never Pat. I don't know why he'd go back to Ireland when he lived in Morningside?

Nevi_SOL
07-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Good luck to him just never worked out the way all parties would have wanted

Holmesdale Hibs
07-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Helped us transition from being utterly brutal to a below average SPL team. So some progress but without Griffiths he'd have pretty much been treading water.

That being said, I think he genuinely did the best he could for our club and managed to leave with some dignity, neither of which could be said for his predecessor. Always came across as a decent guy that was fully committed to Hibs. So I wish him all the best.

Kato
07-02-2014, 09:09 PM
a good source

Bloke in pub?

SMAXXA
07-02-2014, 09:15 PM

You heard wrong then and possibly your thinking about calderwood. Pat hardly ever went back his missus would come over every few weeks, only natural he had his wee bit on the side other wkends :wink:

Really like pat and wish him well, glad we went our separate ways when we did but thank him for doing his best.

green.and.white
07-02-2014, 09:17 PM
I've heard that said about Calderwood but never Pat. I don't know why he'd go back to Ireland when he lived in Morningside?

I still cannot believe that clown Calderwood was once our manager, he angers me. If he was home so often he should never have been given the job!

eastterrace
07-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the humiliations, lack of football, barely a win at home, slow turgid fitbaw.... and now I finally feel back interested in the hibees again, going to ER next week!

spot on mate, he was maybe a good guy but he was driving people away. now i look forward to going to the games , he should have been booted after the malmo game.

lucky
07-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Two cup finals and a trip to Malmo are the positives. The negatives were the results in the two cup finals and Malmo game along with the boring dire defensive crap football. But did meet in Malmo and he was a nice guy

hibby rae
07-02-2014, 09:39 PM
spot on mate, he was maybe a good guy but he was driving people away. now i look forward to going to the games , he should have been booted after the malmo game.

Pretty sure average attendances were higher under Pat than they were under Calderwood. And you have to take into account we weren't getting a visit from the Huns either.

bighairyfaeleith
07-02-2014, 09:40 PM
While I agree that he never really made his mark on hibs and the football was indeed pish, and we suffered two really bad results, he still saved us from relegation, started rebuilding the team and got us to two cup finals. Happy to see him leave in the end but still wish him all the best.

Nae need to kick a man when he's down. Leave that to the **** across the city.

DH1875
07-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Good Luck to the guy...

Left us in a better state than he found us

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Really :confused:. That's up for debate.

Eyrie
07-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Only if you think that Calderwood was doing a good job.

Cabbage East
07-02-2014, 10:30 PM
That club has a history, a way of a life, a culture. It was absolutely brilliant to be responsible for so many people's emotions.

Pat understood. And for that, I'll always like the guy.

Good luck.

cat1875
07-02-2014, 10:35 PM
short memories absolutely PISH ! enough said

Sir David Gray
07-02-2014, 10:39 PM
I wish him nothing but the very best with whatever he chooses to do in his life.

He treated our club with dignity and respect at all times and put the club before himself by stepping down when he did.

I have no bad feelings towards him at all.

chrisski33
07-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Hope he gets a chance at another club soon. Didnt work out for him at hibs but good luck pat

Capt Mainwaring
07-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Good luck and best wishes to the fella. Saved us from relegation after the disaster of the previous manager and had the balls to walk away when he felt his time was up

The Modfather
07-02-2014, 10:50 PM
While I agree that he never really made his mark on hibs and the football was indeed pish, and we suffered two really bad results, he still saved us from relegation, started rebuilding the team and got us to two cup finals. Happy to see him leave in the end but still wish him all the best.

Nae need to kick a man when he's down. Leave that to the **** across the city.

How much of us not being relegated that season was down to Pat, and how much was down to a woeful Dunfermline team somehow being worse than us?

I'd have been delighted if you told me we would stay up when Fenlon came in, but given we were 9th and in a scrap with at least 4 other teams I'd not have been enthrawled with the fact we were only safe with a game to spare

No need to put the boot into him, but neither will I rewrite history now he's gone. A brutal time being a Hibee under him, but wish him all the best anyway.

GlenrothesHibee
07-02-2014, 10:52 PM
So much time and respect for Pat Fenlon. Always had Hibs at heart. wish him well.

Up The Bracket
07-02-2014, 11:10 PM

Fenlon's team in his first game:

Stack

Hart
O'Hanlon
Stephens
Hanlon

Sproule
Osbourne
Stevenson
Wotherspoon

Griffiths
O'Connor

Team now (minus Butcher's signings of course):

Williams

Forster
Hanlon
Nelson
McGivern

Harris
Craig
Robertson
Stevenson

Collins
Heffernan

How can anyone possibly say we never improved?

Forza Fred
07-02-2014, 11:21 PM
I wish him nothing but the very best with whatever he chooses to do in his life.

He treated our club with dignity and respect at all times and put the club before himself by stepping down when he did.

I have no bad feelings towards him at all.

:top marks

leither17
07-02-2014, 11:25 PM

Stack

Hart
O'Hanlon
Stephens
Hanlon

Sproule
Osbourne
Stevenson
Wotherspoon

Griffiths
O'Connor

Williams

Forster
Hanlon
Nelson
McGivern

Harris
Craig
Robertson
Stevenson

Collins
Heffernan

That defence in the first team will give me nightmares tonight

lord bunberry
07-02-2014, 11:29 PM
I wish him all the best but which ever way you look at his time here he was a failure as a manager. I thought at the end of last season we were in a good position to kick on and be a force this season, there was a definite feel good factor around the club after our performances in the last 5 league games then being in the cup final again, but he signed the wrong players and the malmo result was the beginning of the end. The way his teams played this season especially showed that he was out of his depth which was a shame as he was a likeable guy who inherited an utter shambles from IMO the worst hibs manager ever.

Jones28
07-02-2014, 11:31 PM

Utter garbage.

To think that either fenlon - a decent and honest man - or Petrie would let that happen is madness.

Bostonhibby
07-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Bloke in pub?

Diggers?

Pedantic_Hibee
07-02-2014, 11:49 PM
The lad tried his very, very best. For that alone, I'll always wish him well in the future.

EskbankHibee
08-02-2014, 12:35 AM
Nice guy and certainly not the worst manager I've seen at ER. All the best Pat

muzzhfc
08-02-2014, 12:40 AM
I agree when people say that he left us in a stronger position than when he left us. His signings weren't all bad, unfortunately he tended to play them out of position. He always spoke passionately about us, and you can still see he cares about the club.

Good man, poor manager

macd123
08-02-2014, 02:12 AM

Stack

Hart
O'Hanlon
Stephens
Hanlon

Sproule
Osbourne
Stevenson
Wotherspoon

Griffiths
O'Connor

Williams

Forster
Hanlon
Nelson
McGivern

Harris
Craig
Robertson
Stevenson

Collins
Heffernan

Spot on. Pat stopped the decline at this club. He did it by signing reasonable players, getting rid of the bad pros and raising fitness levels.

He was the first manager to sign players of the required standard since john park left. Just look at the rubbish signed by jc, mixu, yogi and calderwood. Those four were responsible for a lot of problems at this club.

Pat s problem was never bringing in a really good first team coach. He focused on making us hard to beat and never developed the attacking side. The amount of times on the counter when players would check their run and pass the ball backwards... He never had that malpas figure to give him the tactical help he clearly needed.

He obviously suffered from the cup final results which led to the malmo game which we werent ready for. We played five 19 year olds against malmo ffs. It was never really going to be possible to redeem himself after that.

But i m grateful to pat and wish things had worked out better.

MWHIBBIES
08-02-2014, 02:17 AM
Really :confused:. That's up for debate.No it isn't, there is no comparing our current squad to what Calderwood left.

hibbydog
08-02-2014, 06:41 AM
Wasn't really up to it as manager in the end, but a good honest man and I really respect the guy.

Wish him nothing but the best.

Northernhibee
08-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Wasn't really up to it as manager in the end, but a good honest man and I really respect the guy.

Wish him nothing but the best.

This.

Good bloke who took us as far as he could and on a personal level embraced the values of our club.

Andy74
08-02-2014, 10:46 AM
How much of us not being relegated that season was down to Pat, and how much was down to a woeful Dunfermline team somehow being worse than us?

I'd have been delighted if you told me we would stay up when Fenlon came in, but given we were 9th and in a scrap with at least 4 other teams I'd not have been enthrawled with the fact we were only safe with a game to spare

No need to put the boot into him, but neither will I rewrite history now he's gone. A brutal time being a Hibee under him, but wish him all the best anyway.

That is rewriting a bit!

When he arrived we were level with Dunfermline. We'd just lost at home to them too. The teams around us had games in hand and we had a divided changing room full of players who didn't give a toss.

So yeah, we were genuinely in danger if going down.

OsloHibs
08-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks for posting this. Was wondering what he was upto, but read the Lennon interview about him speaking to Pat over Leigh so knew he was still around. Good Luck Pat. I still have the league table from last season when we were top of the league (for about a day!) as my twitter cover.. Cant bear to change it!!!

erskine-hibby
08-02-2014, 11:21 AM
I suppose he got us leigh, but without him we would probably have been relegated.

Heisenberg
08-02-2014, 11:24 AM
He gave us 0-7 and 5-1. He was out of his depth and he eventually realised it. No doubting he was better than Calderwood but I'm not going to praise him massively for trying his best.

Gustavo Fring
08-02-2014, 11:47 AM
was never a big fenlon fan , but i do believe he did his very best for the club - it just wasnt good enough unfortunatly

i wish him all the best for the future

SaulGoodman
08-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Come back, Pat. All is forgiven apparently.