PDA

View Full Version : NHC Newcastle games - trains and TV schedule - advice please!?

Pat 0-7
07-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Looking for a bit of advice, I'm aiming to take my yougest son down to the Newcastle v Swansea game on 19th April for his birthday, been looking at train costs, but not sure to book yet as I'm not sure if the game might be moved for Sky or BT, cant see if live games have been announced yet for mid-April. No obvious 'big' games on that weekend (maybe Everton v Man U.).

Anyone know if the live games have been announced or where I can find out?

And anyone got any tips for cheap train tickets?

Cheers.

:aok:

Aldo
07-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Looking for a bit of advice, I'm aiming to take my yougest son down to the Newcastle v Swansea game on 19th April for his birthday, been looking at train costs, but not sure to book yet as I'm not sure if the game might be moved for Sky or BT, cant see if live games have been announced yet for mid-April. No obvious 'big' games on that weekend (maybe Everton v Man U.). Anyone know if the live games have been announced or where I can find out? And anyone got any tips for cheap train tickets? Cheers. :aok:

Phone them up and ask. You should also get onto the east coast train lines website and sign up for cheap deal updates. You can usually buy up to 12 weeks in advance.

Have a look now cos it's good value.

You should also have no probs getting tickets.

Hope this helps

jgl07
07-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Looking for a bit of advice, I'm aiming to take my yougest son down to the Newcastle v Swansea game on 19th April for his birthday, been looking at train costs, but not sure to book yet as I'm not sure if the game might be moved for Sky or BT, cant see if live games have been announced yet for mid-April. No obvious 'big' games on that weekend (maybe Everton v Man U.).

Anyone know if the live games have been announced or where I can find out?

And anyone got any tips for cheap train tickets?

Cheers.

The TV schedules have yet to come out for April so do not book anything until that happens. The schedules for March are out so it should not be too long.

Pat 0-7
07-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Phone them up and ask. You should also get onto the east coast train lines website and sign up for cheap deal updates. You can usually buy up to 12 weeks in advance.

Have a look now cos it's good value.

You should also have no probs getting tickets.

Hope this helps

Cheers, I'll try the East Coast website but don't want to book until I confirm the kick-off time.

Pat 0-7
07-02-2014, 11:04 AM
The TV schedules have yet to come out for April so do not book anything until that happens. The schedules for March are out so it should not be too long.

Thanks.
Found the current fixtures (on Sky and BT Sports sites :doh:) so I'll keep an eye on them, up to 31st March just now.

johnrebus
07-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Cheers, I'll try the East Coast website but don't want to book until I confirm the kick-off time.

Don't limit yourself to East Coast.

Virgin and Transpennine also run trains from Edinburgh to Newcastle - sometimes much cheaper.

:greengrin

StevieC
07-02-2014, 12:04 PM

Virgin and Transpennine also run trains from Edinburgh to Newcastle - sometimes much cheaper.

Virgin lost the franchise, which is a shame because they used to do an excellent discount for the Scottish Mags Supporters Club.
It's pretty much East Coast or Cross Country for trains and I rarely find East Coast beaten on price, especially with their group discount.
I travel to almost every home game and its a pain with TV games (and clashes with FA Cup) because you miss out on the best deals. I am usually between £17-£23 for a return ticket.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-02-2014, 12:14 PM

:greengrin

Not so sure about TPE, did you mean Cross Country instead?

johnrebus
07-02-2014, 12:31 PM
TP Have an Edinburgh to Manchester Airport service - I came back on it last week after Sunderland debacle.

I thought Cross Country was Virgin, but I could be wrong.

I much prefer East Coast, but usually find it a 50/50 between them and the other two. Reckon I'll have to miss the Tottenham game, waited too long and its full price for the 9.55pm back to Auld Reekie...........

KingFranck
07-02-2014, 12:35 PM
If you are going to make this a regular journey get a friends and family railcard mate. I did it when I took the wee man to the Gadget show and that £30 card paid for itself with that one trip to Birmingham. Then used it for 2 x Newcastle trips well worth it :thumbsup:

j'adore hibs
07-02-2014, 01:06 PM
i go down with my lad every now and again and effectively its a 100 bar day out, return train tix booked 3 months in advance, match tix , few beers pre-match in stadium and a chinese buffet after.

we're off to the villa game this month

Brooster
07-02-2014, 01:09 PM
I regularly go down to watch Newcastle or Sunderland with my two sons if Hibs are not playing. I never pay more than £6.50 single or £12 return from Edinburgh or Dunbar or £3.50 single or £6 return for my sons. I've been 4 times in the last 2 months, its a good day out. Thats with East Coast by the way and it's direct.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-02-2014, 01:17 PM
TP Have an Edinburgh to Manchester Airport service - I came back on it last week after Sunderland debacle.

Fair enough, never heard of that one before.

Pat 0-7
07-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Cheers for all the help guys!! :aok:

Pat 0-7
07-02-2014, 01:39 PM
If you are going to make this a regular journey get a friends and family railcard mate. I did it when I took the wee man to the Gadget show and that £30 card paid for itself with that one trip to Birmingham. Then used it for 2 x Newcastle trips well worth it :thumbsup:

Thanks, might do that - there's £10 off just now if you buy one online:

http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/

Pat 0-7
07-02-2014, 02:53 PM
I regularly go down to watch Newcastle or Sunderland with my two sons if Hibs are not playing. I never pay more than £6.50 single or £12 return from Edinburgh or Dunbar or £3.50 single or £6 return for my sons. I've been 4 times in the last 2 months, its a good day out. Thats with East Coast by the way and it's direct.

I've been to Sunderland a couple of times, driving down and using the free Park & Ride sevice (which is excellent). Middle son likes Arsenal and we were down for Ozils first game, got some good close-up photos of them warming up..........he has to sit on his hands when Arsenal score right enough.......:wink:

StevieC
07-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Reckon I'll have to miss the Tottenham game, waited too long and its full price for the 9.55pm back to Auld Reekie...........

I never realised that there was now a 9.55pm train .. last one used to be 9.30pm. I usually drive to midweek games.

StevieC
07-02-2014, 03:55 PM
I regularly go down to watch Newcastle or Sunderland with my two sons if Hibs are not playing. I never pay more than £6.50 single or £12 return from Edinburgh or Dunbar

Is that with a family railcard?
The best I can get is £15 return from Waverley (that's with a group discount) but it's normally around £17/£20 if booked a couple of months in advance.

Brooster
07-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Is that with a family railcard?
The best I can get is £15 return from Waverley (that's with a group discount) but it's normally around £17/£20 if booked a couple of months in advance.

No mate . Thats the full price. Got the 9 o'clock from Edinburgh two weeks ago for the Sunderland v Kidderminster game at that price.

StevieC
07-02-2014, 04:22 PM
No mate . Thats the full price. Got the 9 o'clock from Edinburgh two weeks ago for the Sunderland v Kidderminster game at that price.

I've seen the really cheap ones at 0800-0900 right enough, bit too early for us though. We'd spend twice that on food and bevy in the extra 3 hours we had to kill. :greengrin
Just checked the Crystal Palace game on 22nd March and its currently £17 return .. so I'd better get the finger out and get it booked before it starts going up.

When Virgin had the franchise they were excellent. We could make a group booking of up to 30 (usually about 15 travelled) for £10-£12 return. And if a game was moved they we pretty good at changing the booking for us. We tried contacting Cross Country and East Coast for something similar but they weren't interested.

johnrebus
07-02-2014, 04:44 PM
I never realised that there was now a 9.55pm train .. last one used to be 9.30pm. I usually drive to midweek games.

It's ok for a 7.45 kick off, but when its 8pm - it's a case of missing the last few minutes then flying down Pink Lane.

At least it's all doonhill.....,

:rolleyes: