PDA

View Full Version : Archibald in The Hibernian

BroxburnHibee
04-02-2014, 09:20 PM
This weekend apparently.

One of my favourite ever players.

Often wonder how the hell we managed to convince a class player like that to come to Hibs.

Must have paid him a fair wedge :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
04-02-2014, 09:22 PM
This weekend apparently.

Often wonder how the hell we managed to convince a class player like that to come to Hibs.

Which one ;)

offshorehibby
04-02-2014, 09:33 PM
It can only be Steve Archibald, a class player and a joy to watch at Easter Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhzYj0ennXU

Tinribs
04-02-2014, 09:37 PM
It can only be Steve Archibald, a class player and a joy to watch at Easter Road.

Loving the old hording advertising there, Valente McCombie & Hunter, bought my first flat on Easter Road through those guys :)

lEXO
04-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Archie was class. His goal at Swiney is remembered most but his 2 goals against Celtic when we gubbed them were class.

poolman
04-02-2014, 10:49 PM
This weekend apparently.

We've had a load of class players over the years

truehibernian
05-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Loving the old hording advertising there, Valente McCombie & Hunter, bought my first flat on Easter Road through those guys :)

Me too, great wee company :aok: in fact I bought two houses through them and they also oversaw two seperations..........looking back I kept them afloat with my poor choice of women :greengrin

Ronniekirk
05-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Archie was class. His goal at Swiney is remembered most but his 2 goals against Celtic when we gubbed them were class.
Was at both those games and a rare win at Tyne castle but he had a bit of every thing a very intelligent player. .

heretoday
05-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Amazing when you think of all the international class players who came to Hibs over the years. What went wrong?

erin go bragh
05-02-2014, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE=BroxburnHibee;3897598]This weekend apparently.

Must have paid him a fair wedge :greengrin[/
We even beat Liverpool , who tried to highjack us signing him . Was the first and proberly last time we sign a player from Barcalona .
His goal at the pbs and hands aloft celebration as thousands of us went mental was unreal ( beating them 2-1 with 10 men after a first half sending off ) the guy was sheer class .

Ggtth

Jack Hackett
05-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Amazing when you think of all the international class players who came to Hibs over the years. What went wrong?

Bosman mostly

johnbc70
05-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Just how did we manage to sign him, was some deal done that he got % of gate receipts or something? Was his wages subsidised by a third party etc. I was at the PBS for that game with my Dad and remember the whole place going mental, great memory and time spent with my Dad.

Ants
05-02-2014, 06:08 PM

We even beat Liverpool , who tried to highjack us signing him . Was the first and proberly last time we sign a player from Barcalona .
His goal at the pbs and hands aloft celebration as thousands of us went mental was unreal ( beating them 2-1 with 10 men after a first half sending off ) the guy was sheer class .

Ggtth

This picture... pic.twitter.com/YtL15tXg7d

Jonnyboy
05-02-2014, 08:42 PM
We've had a load of class players over the years

True but how many were signed from Barcelona? :greengrin

tamig
05-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Just how did we manage to sign him, was some deal done that he got % of gate receipts or something? Was his wages subsidised by a third party etc. I was at the PBS for that game with my Dad and remember the whole place going mental, great memory and time spent with my Dad.
It was during the Duff and Gray days - so who knows where the money came from? We had the share issue around that time too but I'm sure Archie had already signed by then.

Joe6-2
05-02-2014, 09:23 PM

Ggtth
Newbie to .net, my first post, had to say tho, that goal at PBS is one of
My all time favorite Hibee goals!

gillythehibby
05-02-2014, 09:23 PM

I was lucky enuff to be behind the goals that day. Archie wiz Class. kano loved to shuv it up them :thumbsup:

Baldy Foghorn
05-02-2014, 09:37 PM

Still love picture of him with his arms in air after Tynie goal, the terracing went berserk....

Sure Roughy was in goals for Celtc when Archie bagged a double.....

Aldo
05-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Still love picture of him with his arms in air after Tynie goal, the terracing went berserk.... Sure Roughy was in goals for Celtc when Archie bagged a double.....

He was indeed. Think we won that game 3-1 his first was a cracker iirc after a diagonal pass and he hit it first time into Bottom corner. Think his 2nd was a header from a corner after he came off the line.

Roughies was indeed Smellic keeper.

Iggy Pope
05-02-2014, 09:44 PM
It was during the Duff and Gray days - so who knows where the money came from? We had the share issue around that time too but I'm sure Archie had already signed by then.

He had. He featured in the TV advert for the share issue with John Collins and the well known hibby (or non Hibby)? comedian gadgie of the time, the name of whom escapes me. Gary somebody?

What a day that was at Tynie. 10men for about three days it seemed after big Gordon snapped Crabbe, (a legend in the making that never seemed to finish a game against us far less score).
Kano had leapt the height of the asbestos to put us 1 up before Stevie's marvellous strike late on and in a pish-soaked 'Gorgie Road' end we went mental.
The sparrys then got their scrambled consolation, before an hour of injury time let big ee-aw in at the back post to contrive a miss from somewhere inside the Hibs net.
The big haired pansy Hun **** that he was.

Tartan club on the way home.
Ale.
Carnage.

Baldy Foghorn
05-02-2014, 09:46 PM
He was indeed. Think we won that game 3-1 his first was a cracker iirc after a diagonal pass and he hit it first time into Bottom corner. Think his 2nd was a header from a corner after he came off the line.

Roughies was indeed Smellic keeper.

Did we go in at break 3-0 up Aldo? My memory is shot :greengrin

Shrekko
05-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Great player undoubtedly.

Amazing how folk have forgotten how disrespectful he was to the club though and the fact he was trying to leave after 5/6 months.

Iggy Pope
05-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Great player undoubtedly.

Amazing how folk have forgotten how disrespectful he was to the club though and the fact he was trying to leave after 5/6 months.

Amazing.

Aldo
05-02-2014, 09:50 PM

We sure did. Sure it was 3 before HT. Archie's Header put McStay on his arse. Look what I've found. Sure it was that arse Walker that scored for them

Baldy Foghorn
05-02-2014, 09:53 PM
We sure did. Sure it was 3 before HT. Archie's Header put McStay on his arse. Look what I've found. Sure it was that arse Walker that scored for them

Good find.....:aok:

Baldy Foghorn
05-02-2014, 09:54 PM
He had. He featured in the TV advert for the share issue with John Collins and the well known hibby (or non Hibby)? comedian gadgie of the time, the name of whom escapes me. Gary somebody?

What a day that was at Tynie. 10men for about three days it seemed after big Gordon snapped Crabbe, (a legend in the making that never seemed to finish a game against us far less score).
Kano had leapt the height of the asbestos to put us 1 up before Stevie's marvellous strike late on and in a pish-soaked 'Gorgie Road' end we went mental.
The sparrys then got their scrambled consolation, before an hour of injury time let big ee-aw in at the back post to contrive a miss from somewhere inside the Hibs net.
The big haired pansy Hun **** that he was.

Tartan club on the way home.
Ale.
Carnage.

Was it Gary Dennis HH?

Aldo
05-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Good find.....:aok:

Atmosphere that day was brilliant. East was bouncing big time .

Baldy Foghorn
05-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Atmosphere that day was brilliant. East was bouncing big time .

Sure that was the day I shouted "I love you Eddie", to Eddie May, and he winked at me......Agh them were the days :greengrin

Aldo
05-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Sure that was the day I shouted "I love you Eddie", to Eddie May, and he winked at me......Agh them were the days :greengrin

I went home and away that season (and many before and after) on the IEC bus with our very on DD. Baith 'young innocent Laddies'.

We got to SF of the Holy Grail that season and Smellic did us 3-1. Another gid day oot (apart from result)

O and an Eddie May 'man crush'

Shrekko
05-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Amazing.

Good one.

Russell Hunter was the comedian IIRC.

Iggy Pope
05-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Good one.

Russell Hunter was the comedian IIRC.

I think you recall incorrectly. Much fatter. Sat in the dugout with the boys. Not Russell.

Iggy Pope
05-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Was it Gary Dennis HH?

Could be.

tamig
05-02-2014, 10:17 PM
I went home and away that season (and many before and after) on the IEC bus with our very on DD. Baith 'young innocent Laddies'.

We got to SF of the Holy Grail that season and Smellic did us 3-1. Another gid day oot (apart from result)

O and an Eddie May 'man crush'

That semi was the day after Hillsborough. Archie scored our goal but "booked for being ugly" ran the show for them that day.

Aldo
05-02-2014, 10:27 PM
That semi was the day after Hillsborough. Archie scored our goal but "booked for being ugly" ran the show for them that day.

McCarthy scored a header for them as well.

LaMotta
05-02-2014, 11:45 PM

First Goal here with links to the other ones if you view on Youtube, (not the best quality videos though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQE2i-vpBC0

erin go bragh
06-02-2014, 10:12 AM

Remember the whole east singing happy birthday to celtic at halt time ( 1988 , their centenary year ) and we were gubbing them 3-0 .
Quality .

Ggtth

Speedway
06-02-2014, 10:30 AM
This was the 'Blue Peter' game where John Leslie did his coverage and Denis Law showed up to take the half time penalties with Ulrika's adversary in nets.

Forgot McCreery played for them, lots of Archibald, Potter getting booted by Evans and the involvement towards the end of a 'high ranking police officer'

What derbies used to be about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREuu2LwMCE#t=602

happiehibbie
06-02-2014, 10:34 AM
I had the pleasure of speaking to Stevie in Barcalona last April still a fit looking guy. Although sitting having breakfast and blurting out STEVE ARCHIBALD !! did not impress my wife tho

Speedway
06-02-2014, 10:49 AM
I had the pleasure of speaking to Stevie in Barcalona last April still a fit looking guy. Although sitting having breakfast and blurting out STEVE ARCHIBALD !! did not impress my wife tho

Good goalscorer, do you think he could still do a job for us?

Hibernia&Alba
06-02-2014, 06:08 PM
I remember him signing and how excited I was as a kid. Happy days.

Jonnyboy
06-02-2014, 08:24 PM
First Goal here with links to the other ones if you view on Youtube, (not the best quality videos though)

Some folk on here would call that hoofball :wink:

Bishop Hibee
06-02-2014, 08:40 PM

I've got the highlights on VHS along with a few other classics. Would Armchair Theatre at Abbeyhill convert such material to DVD or would they not do copyright material?

Aldo
06-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Some folk on here would call that hoofball :wink:

Indeed. But it was the quality of the Hoofball that impresses. ;-)

Jonnyboy
06-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Indeed. But it was the quality of the Hoofball that impresses. ;-)

:greengrin

trev the hat
06-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Who could forget Archie's gold roller he drove to away games. Quality memories of that goal at PBS in the rain & the 45 min demolition of the smellies in their birthday year.
On a side note I recall being in the Loch in after & seeing the horrific scenes on the news of some nutter throwing grenades at a burial during the troubles across the water, sure it was same day or something similar.

HibbySpurs
06-02-2014, 09:46 PM
This weekend apparently.

Got his autograph in his first ever training session at the old royal high playing fields.... He was cream crackered and dont think he was best pleased at some 11 year old asking for his signature but ge signed happily nonetheless. Legend :D

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

ShadesLongThrow
06-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Remember Raymond Sparkes telling me a story that someone asked Archie for a photo. Archie told him it would cost him and the guy refused. Archie replied "no mun, no fun' and walked away. Suppose he had to pay for the Roller somehow!