PDA

View Full Version : NHC Swansea sack Michael Laudrup

iwasthere1972
04-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Not surprising. Their recent results have been shocking.

iwasthere1972
04-02-2014, 06:49 PM
I expect Fulham will be doing the same shortly especially as their board have just said that the manager has their 100% backing .

frazeHFC
04-02-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm very surprised tbh, he had them playing great football. Sticky patch atm but couldn't see them going down.

Hermit Crab
04-02-2014, 06:50 PM

I'm surprised I thought they'd let him bring in during January and Swansea next game is at home to Cardiff city.

Pretty Boy
04-02-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm very surprised tbh, he had them playing great football. Sticky patch atm but couldn't see them going down.

Tbh I'm not sure they do play great football.

I don't watch them a lot but a mate at work is Welsh and travels down to every home game. He was increasingly frustrated that Laudrup had changed the way they played from fast, attacking football to slow and ponderous with no cutting edge.

Think the great football tag has stuck when it maybe isn't merited.

frazeHFC
04-02-2014, 06:59 PM

I don't watch them a lot but a mate at work is Welsh and travels down to every home game. He was increasingly frustrated that Laudrup had changed the way they played from fast, attacking football to slow and ponderous with no cutting edge.

Yep tbh after I posted it I did think that the last time I probably watched them was October time, lot can change in a few months I suppose. Still think it's an odd decision, managers certainly don't have very good job security these days!

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-02-2014, 07:02 PM
I'm surprised I thought they'd let him bring in during January and Swansea next game is at home to Cardiff city.

1730 ko on Sat, could be a bit tasty!

Future17
04-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Delighted. Had a tenner on him in the sack race!

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-02-2014, 07:24 PM
12 months since he was being linked with Real Madrid. Funny old game

Speedy
04-02-2014, 07:42 PM

I don't think they've been shocking at all.

They've had a very tricky run. 12th in the league, still in Europe, still in the FA cup.

Craig_in_Prague
04-02-2014, 07:47 PM

They've had a very tricky run. 12th in the league, still in Europe, still in the FA cup.

And Michu missing many of the games..

EskbankHibee
04-02-2014, 07:55 PM

It's perhaps not surprising given the culture of sacking managers. However, this is the first time his team has had a dip in form and the board have panicked. He done brilliantly with them last season in the league and won silverware.

It is clear that the Europa League playin on a thurs is not conducive with premier league football. Newcastle couldn't cope last season but improved this year without it. They haven't done as well this season but it's Swansea City, they were playing in league two not long ago! Michael Laudrup is a victim of his own success and I have now lost respect for SCFC for this ridiculous decision

iwasthere1972
04-02-2014, 08:41 PM

Shocking maybe the wrong choice of word. Perhaps I should have said disappointing. Only four points taken from the last six games and although they are 12th in the league that's only two points above the relegation zone.

CorrieHibs
04-02-2014, 08:43 PM
It's getting ridiculous. You have a good season, you get into Europe. You have a small squad and players like michu aren't performing due to injury etc. You go on a bad run due to Europe, injuries and suspension. Instead of sticking by a manager they sack them.

Sacking managers just because of a bad run isn't good for stability! Look at arsenal always stuck by wenger in bad times. Arsenal know he is good at building new teams and know that no other manager can do it due to their restrictions.

Speedy
04-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Shocking maybe the wrong choice of word. Perhaps I should have said disappointing. Only four points taken from the last six games and although they are 12th in the league that's only two points above the relegation zone.

Disappointing probably is a better word but they've played City, Utd and Spurs in the last six.

Fulham is probably the only game I'd say they were favourite s and they won that. Would've predicted a draw at West Ham.

lEXO
04-02-2014, 09:01 PM
By the sounds of things the Swansea board reckoned he had lost interest a bit. To be fair to them they don't have a record for sacking managers over the last few years. They are fan owned an ran I think. I watched a programme on BBC a few months ago about them and really liked their ethos on how they want to play. The manager has to buy into the system they want to play and that runs right through the club. There must be more to it I reckon.

Sir David Gray
04-02-2014, 09:05 PM
The short-sightedness of football boards these days is unbelievable.

As someone else has said already, it was only a few months ago that he was being touted for some really big jobs and now he's deemed surplus to requirements at Swansea.

It's ridiculous really.

Unseen work
04-02-2014, 10:09 PM
His biggest misfortune was how he done so well last season and people expect that all the time

They are Swansea, not really a massive team in te English leagues

Very poor decision IMO

O'Rourke3
04-02-2014, 10:12 PM
It's Stevie Clark all over again. One exceptional season, now taken as "norm" anything else is underperforming and bring someone new in. Shows just how much free money floats about that league as the new guy will come in and in the summer do a DiCanio and spend the GDP of Ireland on 3 players......

Hibercelona
04-02-2014, 10:14 PM
Managers don't get sacked, they get paid off handsomely. :rolleyes:

JoeTortolanoFanClub
04-02-2014, 10:28 PM
I expect Fulham will be doing the same shortly especially as their board have just said that the manager has their 100% backing .

I was at the Fulham v Sheffield United FA Cup replay tonight. In over 40 years of watching football all around the world it was without question the worst professional match I have ever seen live. I would be asking for a refund if I hadn't been given a free ticket.

ScottB
04-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Certainly sounds like he's been sacked for refusing to commit, which is fair enough. There was uncertainty last season but things went well, this season they are struggling, so perhaps that's been a factor.

If he doesn't want to be there it brings the whole club down, as Calderwood did for us.

Hank Schrader
04-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Managers don't get sacked, they get paid off handsomely. :rolleyes:

Yes they do get sacked. :rolleyes:

monktonharp
04-02-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm surprised I thought they'd let him bring in during January and Swansea next game is at home to Cardiff city. c'mon the bluebir.............err, red tops ,or whatever they are thesedays. red bull? any manager in charge of an English premiership team, if they are out of the top 10-12 for more than 5 games, is cannonfodder, these days. money, is what seems to be all it's about, and if they are in the drop zone,......taxi.

Hibercelona
04-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Yes they do get sacked. :rolleyes:

Getting paid to leave, isn't being sacked.

They can word it that way if they want, but it's not a sacking, it's a pay off.

I also don't get the mass sympathy for managers being paid off. How about people who actually get sacked and have no money to live on?

sven nil
04-02-2014, 11:49 PM
The Swansea board sacked him because he paid 200,000 pounds, for a **** youngster who could not get a game for a **** young team!
think his name is Wan :wink:

jacomo
04-02-2014, 11:51 PM

There is some truth in this. However, Laudrup is suffering 2nd season syndrome, opponents are focusing relentlessly on Swansea's weaknesses and michu is injured.

He is partly to blame for a poor run but can't believe they've sacked him.

SanFranHibs
05-02-2014, 05:24 AM
It's perhaps not surprising given the culture of sacking managers. However, this is the first time his team has had a dip in form and the board have panicked. He done brilliantly with them last season in the league and won silverware.

It is clear that the Europa League playin on a thurs is not conducive with premier league football. Newcastle couldn't cope last season but improved this year without it. They haven't done as well this season but it's Swansea City, they were playing in league two not long ago! Michael Laudrup is a victim of his own success and I have now lost respect for SCFC for this ridiculous decision

The first 'bad patch' and he's gone. In a tough league where teams above him spend much more freely and the team directly above them with only 3 more points announced on the same day they have opened talks with their manager about extending their managers contract.

Seems somewhat precipitous but one never knows. Maybe Laudrup is not too unhappy about it. Being sacked in football management is not always a bad career move. Just look at the manager directly above him.

Speedway
05-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Judging by the Chairman's comments, he wasn't convinced Laudrup was committed so he punted him.

IWasThere2016
05-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Judging by the Chairman's comments, he wasn't convinced Laudrup was committed so he punted him.

Laudrup was never there - regular in season holidays and breaks apparenty.

heretoday
05-02-2014, 02:51 PM
I was at the Fulham v Sheffield United FA Cup replay tonight. In over 40 years of watching football all around the world it was without question the worst professional match I have ever seen live. I would be asking for a refund if I hadn't been given a free ticket.

And it was televised and broadcast on two radio channels!

sh00byd00
05-02-2014, 02:57 PM
By the sounds of things the Swansea board reckoned he had lost interest a bit. To be fair to them they don't have a record for sacking managers over the last few years. They are fan owned an ran I think. I watched a programme on BBC a few months ago about them and really liked their ethos on how they want to play. The manager has to buy into the system they want to play and that runs right through the club. There must be more to it I reckon.

Yeah, they were supposedly raging that he ****ed of to Paris for two days and gave his players 2 days off after the defeat to West Ham. Doesn't strike me as good management from Laudrup if this turns out to be true.

Stevie Reid
05-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Quite similar to Danny Lennon with Saints a few months ago - brought them LC success, followed by a big dip in league form. I bet St. Mirren are glad that they stuck with DL, and I am surprised, given the way that club has been run in the last ten years, that Swansea haven't with ML.

Sadly it seems that preserving league status takes precedence over winning honours these days. I'd genuinely love to see a poll of Wigan fans last season, to see if they would swap that FA Cup win for staying in the Premiership.