PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen

GlenrothesHibee
04-02-2014, 10:49 AM
I don't know if its because of the media driven sheep love in but i don't get this Aberdeen hype. This is the same team Hearts have beaten home and away this season, the same team Yogi's ICT comfortably beat at Pittodrie a few weeks ago, the same team that needed a wonder strike to beat a poor Hibs team. Yes they have strengthened with Rooney but they are Abereen for goodness sake.

Hibercelona
04-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Aberdeen are deadly on their day. You only need to present them with one chance and they'll take it.

Obviously they're not going to have the level of consistency that Celtic do and they will drop points here and there.

But on their day, they always find a way.

StevieC
04-02-2014, 10:59 AM
IMO Aberdeen have played the best football in the SPFL this season.

Because of the quality of players/teams in the SPFL then it will always be a struggle to be consistent, and poor results will be expected from time to time.

It wasn't that long ago (well maybe it was) that we were the darlings of the media with a team that was playing some attractive football, but we also lacked consistency with our results.

Gatecrasher
04-02-2014, 11:03 AM
They are the 2nd best team in Scotland at the moment and they are playing good football as well.

PeterboroHibee
04-02-2014, 11:18 AM
I personally dont think Aberdeen play good football.

Excluding Celtic they definitely have the best squad though, and possibly have the strongest first 11 (although Id say that Dundee United when everyone is fit and on form have a far more attacking and attractive team), which is why they are in second. Realistically, given the money they are spending, they are basically where they should be (even though that isnt necessarily always the case..).

If anyone deserves praise imo its Motherwell - they have a tiny squad and lost a lot of key players in the summer, and yet are only a point behind Aberdeen with a game in hand.

B.H.F.C
04-02-2014, 11:19 AM
I don't know if its because of the media driven sheep love in but i don't get this Aberdeen hype. This is the same team Hearts have beaten home and away this season, the same team Yogi's ICT comfortably beat at Pittodrie a few weeks ago, the same team that needed a wonder strike to beat a poor Hibs team. Yes they have strengthened with Rooney but they are Abereen for goodness sake.

They are 2nd in the league and in a cup final. So although they are Aberdeen and I don't like them, I'd love to be in their position.

GlenrothesHibee
04-02-2014, 11:30 AM
They're 2nd having played a game more than Motherwell and 2 games more than ICT. Dont get me wrong they must be doing something right but the times ive seen them this season they have been average at best. Then again i dont watch them every week. The fact they are in their first final for 14 years (i think) has probably generated the excitement but i think its way over the top.

Stevie Reid
04-02-2014, 11:41 AM
They're 2nd having played a game more than Motherwell and 2 games more than ICT. Dont get me wrong they must be doing something right but the times ive seen them this season they have been average at best. Then again i dont watch them every week. The fact they are in their first final for 14 years (i think) has probably generated the excitement but i think its way over the top.

Did you see them at ER when they beat us 2-0? They played us off the park that day. Aberdeen and ICT have been the best two teams I've seen at ER this season.

The Sea-gull
04-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Aberdeen play fast, flowing, effective and incisive football. Not every week but they are capable of scoring goals and while it may not be Barcelona-esq in style it can be fast, exciting and if you support them, good to watch I am sure.

No they are not as good as the media or their fans make them out to be but then teams on runs like this rarely are. Our 04 - 07 team was good but not as good as we or the media made out. They probably are the second best team in Scotland and are having a great season after 4 years in the bottom 6. It hasn't happened completely over night though. Don't forget Craig Brown brought in Reynolds, Anderson, Hayes and McGinn. They already had Consindine and have had a couple young players, eg Ryan Jack, Joe Shaugnasy and notably Pawlett, come of age.

McInnes has added missing pieces to what was already a decent group and turned them into a consistent team. Flood and Robson have been good signings, the boy Hector they had first part of the season looked good and I personally think the Adam Rooney signing was what they were missing and is possibly the final piece for them.

If we can emulate that kind of transformation over the next year or so then I think we'd be chuffed. They are proof that it is possible.

greenlex
04-02-2014, 12:10 PM
They have goals scorers in their team. Even more than Celtic.

The Voice Of Reason
04-02-2014, 12:20 PM
They have goals scorers in their team. Even more than Celtic.

They also have pace in their team - McGinn, Pawlett, Hayes, Flood etc.

Golden Bear
04-02-2014, 12:23 PM
They are the 2nd best team in Scotland at the moment and they are playing good football as well.

:agree:

Undoubtedly.

McInnes has made some shrewd signings and they've blended well with their home grown youngsters.

NeilOrrSquareBa
04-02-2014, 12:29 PM
I agree with OP.
Last night sitting waiting for my daughter to come out of her swimming lesson I listened to Radio BBC Sportswhatever... Derek McInnes was one of the guests. After sucking up to him in terms of:
§ Great performance in LCSF
§ Great breath of fresh air to the SPL with their (Abordeen) exhilarating brand of football
§ Nice to see them back where they should be
Blah Blah Blah…
Then, THEN! Graham (level headed, inquisitive journo, prepared to take a swipe at the prevailing cabal) Spiers intervened with the question,
“Now Derek…Graham Spiers here. I just wondered if, given the remarkable transformation in form (of Aberdeen) this season, do you thing Aberdeen could push Celtic for the title next season?!!”

It was put in such a sycophantic way I could not mistake it for a cheeky wee question to test the metal of a cocky soccer manager. He was being serious I tell ‘eee!!

Now I know we are serial underachievers and we’ve suffered a lot due to poor squad selections year after year, playing at the wrong end of the table more often than not but please! Aberdeen?!!

I would suggest that they will get sucked back into the morass that is mid-table mediocrity that serves for soccer entertainment if you’re a football fan outside the OF. Their form will dip their players will retire/get hurt move on and repalcements will struggle to uphold the revolution that is the Dandy Dons.

However back to the point. There’s the media favourites and then there’s Hibs, who have not one supporter amongst the numpties that make up Sportsounds’ cognoscenti. I mean did anyone hear Preston’s fans focused rant on Sunday? BBC sort it out FFS!!

I just wish Hibs would have a season where it all fell into place and when we were putting the mid table to the sword and take the euro qualification spot (after the Champs) on cruise control and oh yes! Win the Scottish Cup so I can go tyo my grave in peace rather than pieces!!! What woudl Sportsound do then?

Rant over.
I thank you.

Golden Bear
04-02-2014, 12:35 PM
I agree with OP.
Last night sitting waiting for my daughter to come out of her swimming lesson I listened to Radio BBC Sportswhatever... Derek McInnes was one of the guests. After sucking up to him in terms of:
§ Great performance in LCSF
§ Great breath of fresh air to the SPL with their (Abordeen) exhilarating brand of football
§ Nice to see them back where they should be
Blah Blah Blah…
Then, THEN! Graham (level headed, inquisitive journo, prepared to take a swipe at the prevailing cabal) Spiers intervened with the question,
“Now Derek…Graham Spiers here. I just wondered if, given the remarkable transformation in form (of Aberdeen) this season, do you thing Aberdeen could push Celtic for the title next season?!!”

It was put in such a sycophantic way I could not mistake it for a cheeky wee question to test the metal of a cocky soccer manager. He was being serious I tell ‘eee!!

Now I know we are serial underachievers and we’ve suffered a lot due to poor squad selections year after year, playing at the wrong end of the table more often than not but please! Aberdeen?!!

I would suggest that they will get sucked back into the morass that is mid-table mediocrity that serves for soccer entertainment if you’re a football fan outside the OF. Their form will dip their players will retire/get hurt move on and repalcements will struggle to uphold the revolution that is the Dandy Dons.

However back to the point. There’s the media favourites and then there’s Hibs, who have not one supporter amongst the numpties that make up Sportsounds’ cognoscenti. I mean did anyone hear Preston’s fans focused rant on Sunday? BBC sort it out FFS!!

I just wish Hibs would have a season where it all fell into place and when we were putting the mid table to the sword and take the euro qualification spot (after the Champs) on cruise control and oh yes! Win the Scottish Cup so I can go tyo my grave in peace rather than pieces!!! What woudl Sportsound do then?

Rant over.
I thank you.

Craig Paterson is one of our own I'd say.

NeilOrrSquareBa
04-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Craig Paterson is one of our own I'd say.

Yes but he's not one of the Sportsounds’ cognoscenti.
Mainly used as match summarisier and not used in the studio debates very often! Maybe becasuse he's a Hibby!

EskbankHibee
04-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Aberdeen are deadly on their day. You only need to present them with one chance and they'll take it.

Obviously they're not going to have the level of consistency that Celtic do and they will drop points here and there.

But on their day, they always find a way.

This has got to be a wind up? Surely?!

givescotlandfreedom
04-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Yes but he's not one of the Sportsounds’ cognoscenti.
Mainly used as match summarisier and not used in the studio debates very often! Maybe becasuse he's a Hibby!
I have to agree and think whilst Aberdeen are doing well Inverness and Motherwell have impressed me more with their limited resources. Aberdeen have signed players we'd all like to have at this level and it remains to be seen whether they can really afford to.
Pat Nevin of course is one of us though rarely heard on radio Scotland which is a shame because it'd show up the Prestons and Youngs for the tubes that they are.

shagpile
04-02-2014, 04:56 PM
This has got to be a wind up? Surely?!

With one point from two league games[ICT & 'Well] I think it has to be.

bigwheel
04-02-2014, 05:25 PM
I think McInnes has created the strongest Aberdeen team for over a decade...good blend of youth and experience, loads of pace in their side, all over the park....and in Willo Flood - one of the most underrated players in the league...

They are a good side..