PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Cup games this weekend

The Sea-gull
04-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Looking at the ties at the weekend, with recognition that Raith is a tough game (Ross Co and Ayr coming to ER in recent years and taking us to replays then putting us out springs to mind), the most interesting one is Celtic v Aberdeen.

Celtic - unbeaten and hardly conceding a goal - v the second best team in the country just now. Have heard a few Dons fans say the team may not put as much into this game as they are in a final so psychologically this one loses it's importance. On the other hand this may relax them and work in their favour. Neil Lennon will have Celtic hungry to win the cup and will really want to get it up the Dons after the moronic few in their support abusing him at the weekend.

The winners of this are clear cup favourites but it also means we lose one of the two favourites from the competition. Think I'd like Aberdeen to win through as, if we get through, we'd have more chance of beating them than we would Celtic. Also, I think Aberdeen are the team most likely to be capable of putting Celtic out and if they don't get rid of Celtic then maybe nobody will.

If Aberdeen won through they would find trying to win two cups mentally and physically tough. As we saw after winning the league cup in 07, getting up for a Scottish cup semi soon after was not easy after the high and unfamiliar feeling of winning a trophy. Similarly, if they lose the league cup final it may pray on their mind and affect their Scottish cup run. The flip side is they beat ICT and gain even more confidence or if they lose to ICT gain even more determination to win something.

One thing is for sure, it does seem that whoever wins that game will be the team to beat in the cup. If we beat Raith of course!

Bill Milne
04-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Made more difficult by being allocated, for the umpteenth time this season, Steven McLean as referee. What have we done to deserve this balloon?

NAE NOOKIE
04-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Celtic will beat Aberdeen ... If it was at Pittodrie I would give the sheep a chance, but not at sellic park, especially after the Lennon incident on Saturday. As you say Sea Gull what happened at the Wonga Dome aint gonna help Aberdeens cause any.

If we can get past RR there will be enough smaller teams left in the draw to give us a shot at the semis. Though how in reality anybody is going to stop celtic is beyond me. There were times in the game at ER where we gave them problems and could have scored. In places we were decent and we still got pumped 0 -4. I know Morton beat them in the LC at their place so anything is possible .... but whats the chances of them screwing up twice?

Oh ...... if you are watching TB ..... please, please. please win the cup ..... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeee !!!

Alex Trager
04-02-2014, 11:09 AM
It will be a tough game for the dons. But one I think they could possibly just possibly get a result in. If they come away with the win they will become clear favourites but if we progress it puts us in a good position. I appreciate their superiority as a team at the minute but I would fancy us over them, the same with Dundee United, another decent team left.

I feel there is a confidence around us in a cup game, barring the final, but I genuinely believe we tend to just nudge it in cup games against opposition of a similar level.

If Celtic go through and we also go through, then we may well have a hard time of it

Billy Whizz
04-02-2014, 11:14 AM
I think ours will be a tough game. They have a few ex Jambos in their squad who will be wanting to do well against Hibs. I also remember the home Scottish Cup defeat against Raith in the late 90's when Duff Jimmy was our Manager

04-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Raith Rovers will be a tough tie for us, certainly not to be underestimated. As for Celtic v Aberdeen, I can't see anything other than a celtic win tbh nor can I see anybody else putting them out, they are by far the strongest side.

Hope i'm wrong though, come on the hibees :flag:

GlenrothesHibee
04-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Looking at the ties at the weekend, with recognition that Raith is a tough game (Ross Co and Ayr coming to ER in recent years and taking us to replays then putting us out springs to mind), the most interesting one is Celtic v Aberdeen.

Celtic - unbeaten and hardly conceding a goal - v the second best team in the country just now. Have heard a few Dons fans say the team may not put as much into this game as they are in a final so psychologically this one loses it's importance. On the other hand this may relax them and work in their favour. Neil Lennon will have Celtic hungry to win the cup and will really want to get it up the Dons after the moronic few in their support abusing him at the weekend.

The winners of this are clear cup favourites but it also means we lose one of the two favourites from the competition. Think I'd like Aberdeen to win through as, if we get through, we'd have more chance of beating them than we would Celtic. Also, I think Aberdeen are the team most likely to be capable of putting Celtic out and if they don't get rid of Celtic then maybe nobody will.

If Aberdeen won through they would find trying to win two cups mentally and physically tough. As we saw after winning the league cup in 07, getting up for a Scottish cup semi soon after was not easy after the high and unfamiliar feeling of winning a trophy. Similarly, if they lose the league cup final it may pray on their mind and affect their Scottish cup run. The flip side is they beat ICT and gain even more confidence or if they lose to ICT gain even more determination to win something.

One thing is for sure, it does seem that whoever wins that game will be the team to beat in the cup. If we beat Raith of course!

Aberdeen are murder. The scoreline on Saturday hugely flattered them. Best of a poor bunch at the moment but certainly not anything to be worried about. Remember Hearts have beaten them home and away this season

Hibercelona
04-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Celtic are clinical, but so are Aberdeen. It will either be a high scoring game with both teams going all out. Or it'll be a tight encounter where possibly only 1 goal will settle it.

worcesterhibby
04-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Celtic are clinical, but so are Aberdeen. It will either be a high scoring game with both teams going all out. Or it'll be a tight encounter where possibly only 1 goal will settle it.

Yes indeed, it will certainly either be a home win for Celtic an away win for Aberdeen or a draw..and your right, there may be lots of goals or there may be very few. Have you considered a career in football punditry ? :greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-02-2014, 11:41 AM
I can see Aberdeen sneaking it. Just got a feeling...

Hibercelona
04-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Yes indeed, it will certainly either be a home win for Celtic an away win for Aberdeen or a draw..and your right, there may be lots of goals or there may be very few. Have you considered a career in football punditry ? :greengrin

Aye, very good! :take that :greengrin

I just meant, I could see this being either a 1-0 or a 4-3. Nothing inbetween. :wink:

Aldo
04-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Made more difficult by being allocated, for the umpteenth time this season, Steven McLean as referee. What have we done to deserve this balloon?

Nowt wrong with Maclean IMHO. Happy that is him.

LioNeilMessi
04-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Nowt wrong with Maclean IMHO. Happy that is him.

No, every referee is a Jambo until proves himself otherwise :greengrin

Hibercelona
04-02-2014, 11:56 AM
No, every referee is a Jambo until proves himself otherwise :greengrin

Ah, so it's not just members that need the .net stamp of approval, it's referees now as well. :greengrin

The Sea-gull
04-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Aberdeen are murder. The scoreline on Saturday hugely flattered them. Best of a poor bunch at the moment but certainly not anything to be worried about. Remember Hearts have beaten them home and away this season

Is that how we measure how rubbish a team is? How often hearts have beat them this year. We must be hyper-pash then. I prefer to look at the league table and the cup results. By Feb they are a decent representative of who is good and who is not in any given season.

jgl07
04-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Speaking of Hearts, who are they playing at the weekend?:wink:

weonlywon6-2
04-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Speaking of Hearts, who are they playing at the weekend?:wink:

playing with themselves i believe

jon paul jones
04-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Rangers v Dunfermline
Celtic V Aberdeen
Hibernian V Raith Rovers
Albion V Stenhousemuir
Alloa V Dumbarton
Forfar V St Johnstone
Stranraer V Inverness CT
Dundee UTD v St Mirren

Fixtures this weekend. Winners of ties in bold. Don't ask what the score will be as I don't have a Scooby Doo!!

Home tie against Ian Murrays Dumbarton in Quarter finals please

Pete
05-02-2014, 05:00 AM
It's probably going to be Celtic, Sevco, ICT, United, st Johnstone, Dumbarton and a diddy team in the hat for the next round.

The diddy team, the sons or Sevco would do at home and I'll take anybody away.

Not keen on facing Celtic but we'll probably have to beat them at some point so why not in the quarters?

Ronniekirk
05-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Celtic will beat Aberdeen ... If it was at Pittodrie I would give the sheep a chance, but not at sellic park, especially after the Lennon incident on Saturday. As you say Sea Gull what happened at the Wonga Dome aint gonna help Aberdeens cause any.

If we can get past RR there will be enough smaller teams left in the draw to give us a shot at the semis. Though how in reality anybody is going to stop celtic is beyond me. There were times in the game at ER where we gave them problems and could have scored. In places we were decent and we still got pumped 0 -4. I know Morton beat them in the LC at their place so anything is possible .... but whats the chances of them screwing up twice?

Oh ...... if you are watching TB ..... please, please. please win the cup ..... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeee !!!

Celtics home form as not been great in the sense they aren't regularly turning teams over by three or four goals the way they used to. Ie the one nil victory against st mirren at weekend being prime example.However this match will have some needle to it and should be good one to watch .I would think Lennon will be desperate for the double again this year to cement his managerial reputation
Especially if he wants move to England.
Aberdeen must be confident as they don't concede a lot of goals and have added more firepower in Rooney.could be a close one We have done well in recent years in the cup against Aberdeen so it's maybe there turn this season.But I have seen some horrendous cup games with us and Celtic so think I will settle for us having a good run in the cup this year but to reach three finals in a row is maybe beyond us ,maybe depends what new players bring to table and how quickly they integrate into team.But to get to a third cup final given problems we have had would be a remarkable feat and would be nice to make a little history

erin go bragh
05-02-2014, 12:18 PM
A fellow Hibby at my training last night was saying we have only beat Raith once in the sc out of 8 games ! Is this true .
Can mind the game in 98 when they beat us 2-1 at ER .
If true we need to start by getting that record to 8-2 .
Would take Celtic in the final again but with a honest ref .

Ggtth

frazeHFC
05-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Rangers v Dunfermline
Celtic V Aberdeen
Hibernian V Raith Rovers
Albion V Stenhousemuir
Alloa V Dumbarton
Forfar V St Johnstone
Stranraer V Inverness CT
Dundee UTD v St Mirren

Think it will be ^, same as you but Dundee Utd and Celtic going through, ideally them to go out though!

Waxy
05-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Since winning the Cup Against Celtic at parkhead way back when, Hibs have only beaten Celtic once in the cup.4-3 at Easter road in 1986.
Waxys wednesday fact.

Billy Whizz
05-02-2014, 12:44 PM
A fellow Hibby at my training last night was saying we have only beat Raith once in the sc out of 8 games ! Is this true .
Can mind the game in 98 when they beat us 2-1 at ER .
If true we need to start by getting that record to 8-2 .
Would take Celtic in the final again but with a honest ref .

Ggtth

Is that our record?

Diclonius
05-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Since winning the Cup Against Celtic at parkhead way back when, Hibs have only beaten Celtic once in the cup.4-3 at Easter road in 1986.
Waxys wednesday fact.

That is horrendous. Surely that isn't true?

Pete
05-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Looks like we'll be beating Raith then Celtic to win it then.

Records like that mean nothing chaps, especially now Dr. Butcher is in charge. :-)