PDA

View Full Version : The return of the Festival Cup?

Hibee_Dave
03-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Reember a few years ago the 'Festival Cup' briefly existed and may even have been sponsored by the Bank of Scotland?

Well, with the imminent relegation of our near neighbours it seems like an ideal chance to get this competition going again as, if it were to happen again, a non-season derby game might actually draw people in?

I seem to remember the chat before being that the competition could be aimed at Edinburgh's sister cities but perhaps with the arrivals at Edinburgh airport of both Qatar and US Airways, one of these companies may want to raise their profile in the city and sponsor the event which could leave the door open for Barca to join if Qatar (their shirt sponsors) came on board or the possibility of a few MLS teams coming over if US Airways sponsored the event. Maybe do a round robin league format guaranteeing a derby and some warm-up games against fairly decent opposition AND if both teams & a sponsor work together, they could get a presence in the city to get some of the 500k extra people in Edinburgh at the time to fill the stadium. 10/15pound tickets for all, a derby, summer night football......

Even if it is after the start of the season (Which, being during August, it probably would be) precedent has been set (IIRC twice this season) by Celtic so why not?!

If it was pursued whole-heartedly by the clubs we would get an extra derby which may be our only one of the year and possibly some decent guest teams to watch plus a few extra thousand through the gates (especially if tickets were cheap, bus tickets were discounted).

Half a million extra people in the city during festival time it realyl shocks me that the club don't try to tap into them even during regular SPFL games during this time.....

Jack
03-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Great idea, always thought there should be a football tournament as an official part of the Edinburgh Festival.

Forget our neighbours though, this should be a classy competition with top flight clubs.

PS it might be difficult to attract the likes of Barca though given the other invitations they receive and conditions they set.

TheFamous1875
04-02-2014, 12:04 AM
You could have it in conjunction with the many nations already connected to the festival, such as the US, England and mainland Europe. The French film industry has a lot of movies played at the film festival, maybe PSG could pay Easter Road a visit? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LaMotta
04-02-2014, 12:27 AM
A friendly derby is a terrible idea. Its hard enough to sell out a competitive derby let alone a game that has very little meaning.

The crowd would be poor and winning wouldnt mean anything.

Just have to hope we get them in a cup at some point.

Saorsa
04-02-2014, 12:32 AM
They are nae longer our rivals. :agree: Be interested in some sort of pre-season tournament though, top division teams only.

Pretty Boy
04-02-2014, 05:40 AM
They are nae longer our rivals. :agree: Be interested in some sort of pre-season tournament though, top division teams only.

Bayern Munich
Dynamo Kiev
Fiorentina
Hibernian

The top flight, big teams from some twinned cities. No diddy lower league teams allowed.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-02-2014, 07:14 AM
Bayern Munich
Dynamo Kiev
Fiorentina
Hibernian

The top flight, big teams from some twinned cities. No diddy lower league teams allowed.

Good shout - and Vancouver iirc.

Edinburgh should also be twinned with São Paulo then we can pull in Palmeiras - stuff the others in Sampa.

Waxy
04-02-2014, 07:34 AM
No. If we don't HAVE to play them then don't play them.

Pete
04-02-2014, 07:39 AM
I would prefer a Tennents sixes type tournament involving Scottish teams.

Several years of financial prudence is the only entrance criteria. Those who have cheated financially to gain artificial status need not apply.

It would be a nice way to reward clubs who have lived within their means. The could call it "cup of integrity" or something.:greengrin

AndyM_1875
04-02-2014, 08:26 AM
I would prefer a Tennents sixes type tournament involving Scottish teams.

Several years of financial prudence is the only entrance criteria. Those who have cheated financially to gain artificial status need not apply.

It would be a nice way to reward clubs who have lived within their means. The could call it "cup of integrity" or something.:greengrin

That would be us, St Johnstone, Inverness and Ross County then peter? :greengrin

The Sea-gull
04-02-2014, 08:40 AM
The trouble with the festival cup is that for it to be part of the festival it has to really take place in August when the season has already started. The interest of the fans is not quite there as we really just want to get on with league games. I hate friendlies making it a stop start season. IMHO once the league has kicked off no team should be playing weekend friendlies instead of an SPL game. Maybe midweek ones at a push but not weekend.

If a tourney took place before the season starts then it would be a bit better as could serve instead of per-season games but it would have to be pitched against the right sort of teams.

RE Hearts - no interest whatsoever in playing them this summer. Maybe if they get relegated, we don't draw them in a cup and they don't come up at the first time of asking then there would be appetite for a game but I just don't see the appeal of playing them in a friendly this August when there is a reasonable chance we will have played them in the league in May.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-02-2014, 08:57 AM
When are Celtc allowed to swan off to foreign shores to expand their global hoofprint?

The festival cup was shelved - unfortunately at Tynie so the shelf has probably fallen and the cup been sold for scrap ;)

04-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Would quite like this to return, competitive pre-season games can only be good preparation for the competitive domestic season starting. Would hopefully get a decent crowd through the door, certainly more than a meaningless friendly against the likes of Raith Rovers etc would. Would certainly be a good confidence booster going into the season if we were to get a win against the tramps. If it's on during the festival aswell, that would maybe get some of the tourists along. An Edinburgh derby is sure to attract some folk visiting the city.

Brightside
04-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Once they are relegated the only time we should be playing them is League Cup or Scottish Cup (if they qualify) It's not the job of Hibs to help fund Hearts. Why not set up a mini cup against Spartans or Edinburgh City?

NAE NOOKIE
Bayern Munich
Dynamo Kiev
Fiorentina
Hibernian

A tournament could be a good idea, not bothered about the Yams being in it though. I remember us playing Coventry & Man City years ago in this type of thing ..... Interesting line up Pretty Boy ... I'm not sure I would be keen to spend £15 a pop tae see Hibs humped 3 times.

Lovin' yer avatar by the way Hibee Dave.

KdyHby
We'll be playing Hearts 2014 in the EOSL......oh no, it's looking like we'll be getting promoted from div 1

GlenrothesHibee
04-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Love the idea. Hibs and Hearts should really try and maximize revenue during festival time

Saorsa
04-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Love the idea. Hibs and Hearts should really try and maximize revenue during festival timeCannae see much interest (particularly from Hibs fans) in a friendly derby against a crap lower division team, I certainly wouldnae be wasting money on it. Be much better tae play teams like Bayern Munich, Dynamo Kiev, Fiorentina as suggested above. I'd buy tickets for all those games.

GreenLake
04-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Reember a few years ago the 'Festival Cup' briefly existed and may even have been sponsored by the Bank of Scotland?

Well, with the imminent relegation of our near neighbours it seems like an ideal chance to get this competition going again as, if it were to happen again, a non-season derby game might actually draw people in?

I seem to remember the chat before being that the competition could be aimed at Edinburgh's sister cities but perhaps with the arrivals at Edinburgh airport of both Qatar and US Airways, one of these companies may want to raise their profile in the city and sponsor the event which could leave the door open for Barca to join if Qatar (their shirt sponsors) came on board or the possibility of a few MLS teams coming over if US Airways sponsored the event. Maybe do a round robin league format guaranteeing a derby and some warm-up games against fairly decent opposition AND if both teams & a sponsor work together, they could get a presence in the city to get some of the 500k extra people in Edinburgh at the time to fill the stadium. 10/15pound tickets for all, a derby, summer night football......

Even if it is after the start of the season (Which, being during August, it probably would be) precedent has been set (IIRC twice this season) by Celtic so why not?!

If it was pursued whole-heartedly by the clubs we would get an extra derby which may be our only one of the year and possibly some decent guest teams to watch plus a few extra thousand through the gates (especially if tickets were cheap, bus tickets were discounted).

Half a million extra people in the city during festival time it realyl shocks me that the club don't try to tap into them even during regular SPFL games during this time.....

Sounds like a great tournament with a lot of good team suggestions but Murray and Foulkes will be wondering how to embezzle money for hearts out of the council festival budget. Just restrict participation to football clubs who compete fairly and pay their own way. I nominate Hibs with Bayern Munich, LA Galaxy and Arsenal (we need to get them back for 1952 (http://progs.fairlyoriginal.com/arsenal-vs-hibernian-7-1)). Hearts can play in another tournament with Portsmouth, Leeds United and Racing Santander supported by contributions from their own supporters.

--------
04-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Ho yes. A pre-season against a lower-division side with a chip on their shoulder and not a lot to lose whose fans hate our guts and whose players are the dirtiest in the division right now. Great idea.

Just the thing to guarantee a well-occupied treatment room at East Mains for the start of the season.

Let's ask Craig Thomson to be the guest referee - keep it in the family, so to speak.

Edinburgh derbies are generally very poor games. Add in the risk of injury (because there's no way this game would be a friendly) and the fact that we'd be inviting those low-lifes back to ER where they always behave so well - I can see no reason to support this idea. And which neutral in his/her right mind would want to bring the kids to an Edinburgh derby? They're not exactly child-friendly occasions.

Why not have TB issue an invite to his mate Gus Poyet to bring his Sunderland side up for a one-off and call THAT the Famous Five Cup? Loads of publicity and cut-price admission - £10 for adults, accompanied kids free.

Might even sell a few STs while we're at it.

AND it would be a much better game of football.

AndyM_1875
04-02-2014, 01:26 PM
This is something I've thought about and it raises a number of points.

Hearts never showed any interest in playing us in 98-99 when we were on our "Great Adventure" and their fans were calling us "First Division rubbish" and worse.
However the record books show that was an anomaly as even during their yo-yo years in the late 70s/early 80s we usually played them at least once a year, usually in some Testimonial or with full strength sides in the EoSS.

Much I would love to cancel a New Year fixture with Celtic (just to annoy the arrogant twits) to slot in a game with Hearts I don't think its practical or going to happen. I don't think there is the interest from the Hibs Directors or Management who are fed up of the insults towards Edinburgh's soon to be ONLY Premier club and the squealing coming from Tynecastle about how a big boy did it and ran away.

Perhaps we will feel differently after a year of them being gone and knowing they aren't coming back soon as Rangers romp the Championship. But perhaps not....:greengrin

allezsauzee
04-02-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm not fussed either way but i think this is something that Tel and Maurice should be deciding rather than it being a purely commercial venture. If they feel that a 'friendly ' of this nature fits into our pre season build up then it's fine.

eastterrace
04-02-2014, 07:55 PM
this is a big no no from me, why would we want to risk injury and a defeat against some small first division club, our fans wouldnt be bothered, think there fans would want it more. naw lets forget about them and worry about ourselves.:flag:

FifeHibernian
05-02-2014, 12:09 AM
It'll be the 140th anniversary of the first Edinburgh Derby next year. IMO, the two clubs should arrange a Festival Cup match.

I could be being completely unrealistic but if the marketing was done correctly then I reckon that there could be a lot of interest.

Vini1875
05-02-2014, 12:28 AM
No thanks. The festival cup was a terrible idea. Yes Edinburgh has a lot of visitors, but from what I can most of them are luvvies of one sort or another either performers or critics. The tourists are in Edinburgh for shows not football and have very little regard for what would be considered the earthier side of Edinburgh life.

Seems to me the majority of Edinburgh people don't bother with the festival and the festival people don't much bother with Edinburgh life.

bigwheel
05-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Friendlies do nothing for me, and I have no wish to see a friendly against them....I'd rather they have to earn the right to place us again

Beefster
05-02-2014, 08:15 AM
If we're going to hold a tournament that will give a cash boost to a lower league team, I'd rather it was a club that haven't cheated for the last couple of decades.

Ronniekirk
05-02-2014, 08:26 AM
No thanks. The festival cup was a terrible idea. Yes Edinburgh has a lot of visitors, but from what I can most of them are luvvies of one sort or another either performers or critics. The tourists are in Edinburgh for shows not football and have very little regard for what would be considered the earthier side of Edinburgh life.

Seems to me the majority of Edinburgh people don't bother with the festival and the festival people don't much bother with Edinburgh life.

It certainlydidnt last long so clearly didn't capture the imagination .I like going to the Festival and the Fooball but maybe I am in the minority.

One Day Soon
05-02-2014, 08:54 AM
I'm a little torn on this one.

Pro:
1. If it is the 140th anniversary of the Edinburgh derby it would seem a shame not to have a game of some sort.
2. I have no doubt that next season we will be very substantially better than them in terms of squad quality and size and will be playing much, much better football than them too. Showcasing that in Edinburgh and using it to start to leverage our advantage in pulling in future generations of supporters for Hibs rather than Hearts has an appeal.
3. It would be fun to hand them a doing.
4. It may be the last chance we have to laugh at Hamill in a Hearts strip.
5. If we don't go this path there may not be another derby for 3, 4 or 5 years unless we get them in the cup.
6. It's an opportunity to see which of their players, if any, we might want to take. Remember they will be a kind of lower league Edinburgh feeder club for us over the next few years.

Con:
1. They will be in great need of the revenue a game like this would bring and I don't think we should be doing anything that assists them financially.
2. As (Doddie?) suggested above, it is a recipe for them to clog our players pre-season which we don't need.
3. They need to feel the consequences of their financial doping until such time as they earn their way back honestly and their (admittedly few) more balanced supporters acknowledge that. They shouldn't have the privilege of a derby with us until they have done their time.
4. I think Mercer and Romanov created a poisonous atmosphere in Edinburgh football that didn't exist in the same way before their time. I have no doubt that forums like this provided an oxygen for that which has made it even worse. Be that as it may, many of their supporters really need to go through a detoxification process to get the hatred and bile out of their systems. Tin hat on but that is true for some of our support too. A period apart may well help that.
5. I'm more interested in cups and Europe than Yams so not playing them is pretty incidental.

Baldy Foghorn
05-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Would not like to see any "friendlies" occur with the Merrick's, why should we do anything for them?

Waxy
05-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Suppose since it's the 140th anniversary of the first derby we should play them. The meadows cup?