PDA

View Full Version : Improving the atmoshere at ER

Islington Hibs
03-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Despite only 12700 turning up for a Cup Semi Easter Road looked pretty full on TV. The reality was however that ground was just 62% full which as others have pointed out is pathetic for a Cup Semi. It seems to me the closing of stands made for it look there were more there. I am sure the atmosphere was as poisonous as ever with that lot but perhaps the Club could learn something from this?

Easter Road holds 20500 and it is pretty rare that we get more than 16/17k in. Very roughly if we closed (apart from a few big games) the top of the Famous 5, and the top of the away end capacity would be reduced by round 3000. Then if we perhaps didn't make available the top ends of the West and say the top an bottom 4 rows another 3000/4000 would be taken out. Similarly 1000 or so at the edges of the East could be made unavailable. That would mean that the reduced capacity would be 12/13k for most games.

I think this could improve the atmosphere and appearance quite a lot. Perhaps the club should think about this when selling Seasons and on line tickets next year. Any thoughts?

cwilliamson85
03-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Despite only 12700 turning up for a Cup Semi Easter Road looked pretty full on TV. The reality was however that ground was just 62% full which as others have pointed out is pathetic for a Cup Semi. It seems to me the closing of stands made for it look there were more there. I am sure the atmosphere was as poisonous as ever with that lot but perhaps the Club could learn something from this?

Easter Road holds 20500 and it is pretty rare that we get more than 16/17k in. Very roughly if we closed (apart from a few big games) the top of the Famous 5, and the top of the away end capacity would be reduced by round 3000. Then if we perhaps didn't make available the top ends of the West and say the top an bottom 4 rows another 3000/4000 would be taken out. Similarly 1000 or so at the edges of the East could be made unavailable. That would mean that the reduced capacity would be 12/13k for most games.

I think this could improve the atmosphere and appearance quite a lot. Perhaps the club should think about this when selling Seasons and on line tickets next year. Any thoughts?

I agree with the part of closing the upper sections of the famous 5.

For the away end why not copy the idea of a lot f other stadiums (outwith Scotland) and put the away fans as far away as possible (out of sight out of mind). I would close the bottom tier as this would put the away fans further away from the pitch and they would create less noise.

greenlad
03-02-2014, 05:14 PM

My thoughts are that this isn't a good idea at all and you'd actually hack long-term fans off by making their own seat they've had for years unavailable to them. Generally the people coming up with these bright ideas never seem to nominate their own area for closure (funny that!?). As an example I've had my seat in the FF Upper longer than basically anyone else in the stadium (other than those who took seats in the FF Upper or Lower at the same time when it opened in 1995 - with the other two home stands both being newer) . Why should I give up my good view (middle of the FF Upper) to move to a lesser view in the lower tier (or to a side-on view which I don't like) just so the ground "looks pretty full on TV"??

I presume this masterplan wouldn't start from scratch and give the reloacted FF season ticket holders equal-dibs on the seat of ther choice in the middle of the East Stand, regardless whether its taken just now? No because there'd be a riot from those seatholders and rightly so.

Hibs should be concentrating on increasing the walk-up sales as well as turning walk-ups into season ticket holders. Get things like we did between 2004-07 and "how the ground looks on TV" will take care of itself!

marinello59
03-02-2014, 05:18 PM
So those who actually go to the games should be moved so that the armchair fans get a prettier picture on their telly? They could help make it look better by going along. Simples.:greengrin

cwilliamson85
03-02-2014, 05:19 PM
My thoughts are that this isn't a good idea at all and you'd actually hack long-term fans off by making their own seat they've had for years unavailable to them. Generally the people coming up with these bright ideas never seem to nominate their own area for closure (funny that!?). As an example I've had my seat in the FF Upper longer than basically anyone else in the stadium (other than those who took seats in the FF Upper or Lower at the same time when it opened in 1995 - with the other two home stands both being newer) . Why should I give up my good view (middle of the FF Upper) to move to a lesser view in the lower tier (or to a side-on view which I don't like) just so the ground "looks pretty full on TV"??

I presume this masterplan wouldn't start from scratch and give the reloacted FF season ticket holders equal-dibs on the seat of ther choice in the middle of the East Stand, regardless whether its taken just now? No because there'd be a riot from those seatholders and rightly so.

Hibs should be concentrating on increasing the walk-up sales as well as turning walk-ups into season ticket holders. Get things like we did between 2004-07 and "how the ground looks on TV" will take care of itself!

Maybe it should be that all walk up fans only get tickets or west, east and FF lower. We would then see how many ST are there and offer them the relocation opportunity for no extra cost for 1 season. Also No issues with closing end sections of east / west stands to push people into the middle of the stand.

cwilliamson85
03-02-2014, 05:25 PM
It makes for a better atmosphere when people are sitting next to each other rather than spaced out across a whole stand.

That’s why away supports always seem to make a lot of noise than home fans.

B.H.F.C
03-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Couple of us were talking about this watching the Semi final yesterday.

I think think closing the top tiers would benefit the atmosphere by enclosing the crowd a bit. Between the top tier of the north and west you are lucky if there is 1000 in at some games. It could save us a few quid as well if we had those areas closed. Hibs wouldn't risk upsetting people though so not ever likely to happen.

The Sea-gull
03-02-2014, 05:48 PM
I mentioned this on here a few months ago and a lot of folk were outraged at the prospect of being moved from "their" seat.

The Famous 5 has been an atmosphere and PR/image disaster since the new East was built. It hardly makes for an intimating atmosphere for visiting teams to play to. Since the crowds have dwindled there is it any coincidence so have our number of home wins. OK, only a small factor but still probably a factor. We should definitely close the top tier of that from next season in my opinion, with it only being opened once all other areas of the ground sell out. Given the capacity is 20k it is hardly ever likely to be used for the foreseeable unless we get a big derby in the cup or a big Euro game.

We should look at closing certain sections of the West stand, not all the top tier as we need sections for hospitality but close at least some of it and then open it for times demand dictates it.

I know there are comments along the lines of "the atmosphere would improve if more of the part timers turned up regularly" but that is not going to happen. Even if we were doing really well, most weeks we could get away without the top of the Famous 5 and some of the West as our average crowd would only be about 14k or so tops.

Why not give closing certain sections of the ground a try? If it improves atmosphere and in turn results then it would be worthwhile. If after a couple of years its not working then rethink it.Would it not also save maintenance and operational costs too?

Are folk really saying they'd stop getting a season ticket coz they couldn't go to a certain bit of the ground? Who do you support more, Hibs or your seat? It would still be the same club in hopefully a more atmospheric ground amounting to a more enjoyable match day experience and maybe better results.

Aberdeen have closed sections of their ground this year and while it is obviously only a small factor, maybe that is a factor in them improving their results, attendances and probably atmosphere too.

B.H.F.C
03-02-2014, 06:13 PM
I mentioned this on here a few months ago and a lot of folk were outraged at the prospect of being moved from "their" seat.

The Famous 5 has been an atmosphere and PR/image disaster since the new East was built. It hardly makes for an intimating atmosphere for visiting teams to play to. Since the crowds have dwindled there is it any coincidence so have our number of home wins. OK, only a small factor but still probably a factor. We should definitely close the top tier of that from next season in my opinion, with it only being opened once all other areas of the ground sell out. Given the capacity is 20k it is hardly ever likely to be used for the foreseeable unless we get a big derby in the cup or a big Euro game.

We should look at closing certain sections of the West stand, not all the top tier as we need sections for hospitality but close at least some of it and then open it for times demand dictates it.

I know there are comments along the lines of "the atmosphere would improve if more of the part timers turned up regularly" but that is not going to happen. Even if we were doing really well, most weeks we could get away without the top of the Famous 5 and some of the West as our average crowd would only be about 14k or so tops.

Why not give closing certain sections of the ground a try? If it improves atmosphere and in turn results then it would be worthwhile. If after a couple of years its not working then rethink it.Would it not also save maintenance and operational costs too?

Are folk really saying they'd stop getting a season ticket coz they couldn't go to a certain bit of the ground? Who do you support more, Hibs or your seat? It would still be the same club in hopefully a more atmospheric ground amounting to a more enjoyable match day experience and maybe better results.

Aberdeen have closed sections of their ground this year and while it is obviously only a small factor, maybe that is a factor in them improving their results, attendances and probably atmosphere too.

Celtic doing it this weekend as well

Nomeancity
03-02-2014, 06:24 PM
If better atmosphere means a whole lot of fuds around you shouting at hibs players then go ahead and shut the top tier of the ff.

recently started sitting their cos I was fed up with some of the anti-hibs stuff in the west.

it has the best view in the ground and I've been 3 times recently and can honestly say I haven't heard any abuse of our players.

Keith_M
03-02-2014, 06:43 PM
If the cameras were in the East stand, we could close that, leaving only 10,000 seats for the home fans in the other two stands. Then the stadium would look REALLY full on TV

:greengrin

Ozyhibby
03-02-2014, 06:45 PM
I think it makes perfect sense to close the upper tier in the Famous 5 and the upper tier of the south end of the west.
Improve the atmosphere and save the club some cash at the same time.
It's a no brainer and should be implemented for next season which gives season ticket holders plenty time to choose their new seat.
It will, of course, upset some but the greater hood is to improve the match day experience for everyone and make more funds available for Terry Butcher.

clerriehibs
03-02-2014, 06:45 PM
It makes for a better atmosphere when people are sitting next to each other rather than spaced out across a whole stand.

That’s why away supports always seem to make a lot of noise than home fans.

Not quite as simple as that.
You're prob with more of your mates.
You're on someone else's patch so act more challenging.

Keith_M
03-02-2014, 06:47 PM
I think it makes perfect sense to close the upper tier in the Famous 5 and the upper tier of the south end of the west.
Improve the atmosphere and save the club some cash at the same time.
It's a no brainer and should be implemented for next season which gives season ticket holders plenty time to choose their new seat.
It will, of course, upset some but the greater hood is to improve the match day experience for everyone and make more funds available for Terry Butcher.

Where in the stadium do you sit? I presume it's neither of those two areas.

frazeHFC
03-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Would be better cramming everyone in the bottom tiers imo, would make much better noise and doesn't look as poor on the tv.

clerriehibs
03-02-2014, 10:22 PM
So those who actually go to the games should be moved so that the armchair fans get a prettier picture on their telly? They could help make it look better by going along. Simples.:greengrin

Actually, this :top marks

iwasthere1972
03-02-2014, 10:30 PM
I have a great vantage point from my seat in the FF Upper and if I thought that I was going to be moved around willy nilly I wouldn't bother buying a season ticket.

No thanks.

iwasthere1972
03-02-2014, 10:34 PM

Maybe we could also hold up viewers request cards with birthday wishes/happy anniversary/will you marry me? messages.

You know it makes sense.

3pm
03-02-2014, 10:34 PM
On a sidenote, how cost effective is housing the 500 fans in the South Stand every other Saturday?

clerriehibs
03-02-2014, 10:43 PM
On a sidenote, how cost effective is housing the 500 fans in the South Stand every other Saturday?

No police, a few cheap stewards, self scanning, a hopefully profitable catering outlet ... profitable enough?

S4uzee
03-02-2014, 10:45 PM
I agree with the part of closing the upper sections of the famous 5.

For the away end why not copy the idea of a lot f other stadiums (outwith Scotland) and put the away fans as far away as possible (out of sight out of mind). I would close the bottom tier as this would put the away fans further away from the pitch and they would create less noise.

I've thought this for ages! When away teams come to ER they should be put in upper tier, like raith should be on Saturday! Motherwell do it most of the time! I've even thought that when killie/ICT/ Ross county etc come to ER they should be put in the corner of lower west as hardly anyone sits there and then close the south!
Don't know what that would be like but just an idea

iwasthere1972
03-02-2014, 10:53 PM
We should demolish the west stand and just have a garden shed like they do at Tynecastle. That would enable us to move about 95 per cent of west standers to the east and FF. The downside is that they would have to eat the same crap as us at half time unless they brought their luxury hampers with them or got Jeeves to drop it off in the Bentley before the match.

trev the hat
Selling lower tiers first would definitely improve atmosphere imo & Caley were proof of that. It couldn't be forced on season ticket holders & nor should it be. Maybe a trial at a pre season game or a LC game but again cup top ups become an issue. It's a pity there's no easy solution as this could be a stepping stone leading to standing in FF lower.
When the south lower is full (Raith nxt up) there's always a cracking atmosphere. (tin hat)
:-)

oldbutdim
I'm another one who has had 'my seat' in the FF Upper since it was built.
Quite happy there, a decent bunch of actual supporters in my vicinity, and the atmosphere is fine thanks for asking.

I really couldn't give a monkeys what it looks like to TV viewers, I've never been particularly photogenic anyway.

I'm certainly not interested in moving to another area; I may end up next to one of the moaning faced gits who wanted to close the FF Upper for no good reason.

:na na:

SaulGoodman
03-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Yeah why don't we move the cameras into the east, and close sections of the east.

Would people in the East be happy with that? Didn't think so :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
03-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Would be better cramming everyone in the bottom tiers imo, would make much better noise and doesn't look as poor on the tv.

Who gives a f*** how it looks on TV?

I'd always choose to sit in the upper tier of the West, or near the back of the East, because you get a decent view. If that means that someone watching at home has to look at an empty seat in the front row when there's a throw in, then so be it.

Has several people have said above, no one nominates their preferred area of the stadium for closure, yet they're happy for someone else to be chased out of their preferred seat.

Best way to improve the atmosphere? Get more fans in and win games. In either order.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-02-2014, 11:09 PM
I preffered when the cameras were in the East:agree:

frazeHFC
03-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Who gives a f*** how it looks on TV?

I'd always choose to sit in the upper tier of the West, or near the back of the East, because you get a decent view. If that means that someone watching at home has to look at an empty seat in the front row when there's a throw in, then so be it.

Has several people have said above, no one nominates their preferred area of the stadium for closure, yet they're happy for someone else to be chased out of their preferred seat.

Best way to improve the atmosphere? Get more fans in and win games. In either order.

Looks pish when it's empty, would be much better with everyone nearer the pitch filling the bottom tiers imo.

wearethehibs
03-02-2014, 11:17 PM
I sit in the east, I think closing the 2 end sections in the East would be a good place to start. Then maybe the end section in the west Lower and upper nearest to the south as they are very sparce.

Obviously if people would rather (like 1 guy) sit by yourself in the top left hand corner of the west every week, I don't think Hibs would have a chance with this.

Other clubs seem to manage it every now and then.

People say Hibs don't treat the fans very well but you gan guarantee they would never do this incase it upset a few people.

Just my opinion mind

SaulGoodman
03-02-2014, 11:23 PM
At the end of the day if people pay the money and make the effort to turn up they should be entilitled to sit where they want and not have people dictate where they go just so it looks better for tv.

IMO the stadium would look worse for the people at the game with big empty sections all over the place.

SaulGoodman
03-02-2014, 11:26 PM
I sit in the east, I think closing the 2 end sections in the East would be a good place to start. Then maybe the end section in the west Lower and upper nearest to the south as they are very sparce.

Obviously if people would rather (like 1 guy) sit by yourself in the top left hand corner of the west every week, I don't think Hibs would have a chance with this.

Other clubs seem to manage it every now and then.

People say Hibs don't treat the fans very well but you gan guarantee they would never do this incase it upset a few people.

Just my opinion mind

Where do you sit in the East? Would you be happy if you were told to move seat for tv?

Not being cheeky just curious.

Forever_Green93
03-02-2014, 11:32 PM
I don't think it would improve the atmosphere.

Pete
03-02-2014, 11:33 PM
It's not pleasant sitting in the first ten or so rows when it's cold, windy and wet.

No thanks. If there's one good thing about having lots of empty seats it's that you can move about. Teams in Italy, Spain and the leagues below the premiership don't fill their ground every week and they don't feel the need to shut any sections because it doesn't look good.

Jones28
03-02-2014, 11:35 PM

I have emailed the club about this in the past. The reply was along the lines of accomadating away supporters in the home areas of the stadium would mean moving season ticket holders. They didn't feel this was worth it. Actually a very nice way of viewing things from the club.

B.H.F.C
03-02-2014, 11:37 PM
At the end of the day if people pay the money and make the effort to turn up they should be entilitled to sit where they want and not have people dictate where they go just so it looks better for tv.

IMO the stadium would look worse for the people at the game with big empty sections all over the place.

I'd quite like them to give it a bash. Don't give a toss about how it looks on the tv but I think it could be beneficial for us. Atmosphere is quite dyer and it is usually better if everyone is closer together. Also it could save the club some money.

This Saturday is the kind of game that would be ideal for it. A lot of teams down south do it for cup games where less people than normal turn up. Celtic are doing it against Aberdeen this week.

clerriehibs
03-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Looks pish when it's empty, would be much better with everyone nearer the pitch filling the bottom tiers imo.

Closed off upper tiers look pish as well, more pish, actually look in fact as though a club's given up hope.

clerriehibs
03-02-2014, 11:40 PM
I'd quite like them to give it a bash. Don't give a toss about how it looks on the tv but I think it could be beneficial for us. Atmosphere is quite dyer and it is usually better if everyone is closer together. Also it could save the club some money.

This Saturday is the kind of game that would be ideal for it. A lot of teams down south do it for cup games where less people than normal turn up. Celtic are doing it against Aberdeen this week.

Yeah, this saturday would be great for it :rolleyes:

There'll be c. 14k there. What do you plan on closing off?

B.H.F.C
03-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Yeah, this saturday would be great for it :rolleyes:

There'll be c. 14k there. What do you plan on closing off?

14k? No chance. Cup attendances from the home perspective are always down on league attendances. And we ain't been getting anywhere near that on a regular basis.

clerriehibs
03-02-2014, 11:50 PM
14k? No chance. Cup attendances from the home perspective are always down on league attendances. And we ain't been getting anywhere near that on a regular basis.

They aren't always down.

Raith have sold out the bottom tier already, apparently ... that's looking good for 3k of them. There'll easily be >10k Hibs fans.

B.H.F.C
03-02-2014, 11:58 PM
They aren't always down.

Raith have sold out the bottom tier already, apparently ... that's looking good for 3k of them. There'll easily be >10k Hibs fans.

With the exception of a Hearts cup tie, when was there last 10k Hibs fans at Easter Road for a cup game? If it was an away cup tie we'd take 3k easy but there is never the same interest for home ties when season tickets aren't valid. Except those with cup top ups of course.

Check out the online ticketing, there is only 8 blocks in the whole stadium showing as limited availability.

iwasthere1972
04-02-2014, 12:05 AM
Attendance could be as low as 8k. No way is it going to be anywhere near 14k

SaulGoodman
04-02-2014, 12:08 AM

Would you be happy to get moved?

iwasthere1972
04-02-2014, 12:14 AM
:singing: We shall not
We shall not be moved
We shall not
We shall not be moved
Not by the Hearts, the Rangers
Or the Celtic
We shall not be moved. :singing:

Or anyone else for that matter. :wink:

B.H.F.C
04-02-2014, 12:16 AM
Would you be happy to get moved?

Its happened to me before when stands have been flattened. I wouldn't be delighted with it but if there was benefit to the club then I'd get over it as there is plenty other adequate seats.

iwasthere1972
04-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Its happened to me before when stands have been flattened. I wouldn't be delighted with it but if there was benefit to the club then I'd get over it as there is plenty other adequate seats.

:greengrin When the stands have been flattened. Hardly the same asking fans to move from seats that are no longer there. Did they give you the option of sitting on the rubble?

B.H.F.C
04-02-2014, 12:33 AM
:greengrin When the stands have been flattened. Hardly the same asking fans to move from seats that are no longer there. Did they give you the option of sitting on the rubble?

You're right, it's not the same. I will never get the chance to go back to my old seat. If a section was being closed for specific games then these fans would get the chance to go back when it was required!

In all seriousness, I can see why people wouldn't be happy. Absolutely. But particularly if there was any financial benefit in doing it I think it's something that is worth considering.

SaulGoodman
04-02-2014, 12:40 AM
Fwiw I like my seat, it's right at the back of the lower tier, I can stand all game if I want, I don't get the wind, rain or sun in my eyes and I wouldn't move at all. :greengrin

shetlandhibee
04-02-2014, 12:57 AM
Ive been at few Aberdeen games with my friends (just to watch a game of football not supporting them in anyway) and noticed that they closed the top tier of the Richard Donald stand, this makes a better atmosphere because it doesn't seem like there are any spaces.

basehibby
04-02-2014, 12:59 AM
I've been sitting in the FF for some of the Hibs Kids days of late and couldn't help thinking it would benefit from a wee singing section along the lines of that in the East. It's the home end after all and it'd be good to hear a bit of noise coming out of it. It'd encourage other fans in the FF to pipe up a bit and would be good for a bit of competition between the singing sections - so, far from proposing the closure of the FF upper, I'm proposing a load of noisy Hibies start sitting there and... well, make some noise! :tbgwa:

Chuck Rhoades
04-02-2014, 06:51 AM
The atmosphere would improve if more of the people who are there joined in with the singing/chants. Same pocket of 50/60 at the back of East who consistently sing each week with the exception of Derbies.

If people wanted to experience a better atmosphere they'd relocate there which hasn't happened. Don't think closing sections would do much at all.

nonshinyfinish
04-02-2014, 08:35 AM

But why does it matter? Does it benefit the club or the fans if it looks better on TV? And if it does, is that benefit worth pissing off fans by making them move?

wearethehibs
04-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Where do you sit in the East? Would you be happy if you were told to move seat for tv?

Not being cheeky just curious.

Tbh Im not bothered how it looks on TV.

If Hibs were to say they want to close the section I sit in, in order to try and create a better atmosphere and maybe it being more cost effective for the club then Id gladly move.

NAE NOOKIE
04-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Not for closing the South to away fans. I like having away fans in view from my seat in the the FF lower.

I would be happy to be 'relocated' to a new family section to make way for a standing area in the lower FF but I dont think closing areas of the ground to look better on the telly is that great an idea ... though I appreciate why folk want it, it doesnt look brilliant when there are loads of empty seats, but its the price we pay for having a ground 40% or more bigger than our usual crowds.

If it wasnt for my mates two kids I would have an ST for the FF upper .... I like sitting behind the goals anyway and the view from the FF upper is the best in the stadium ... dont have cup top up so I hope to sit there on Saturday.

Lots of complaining about folk in the FF lower not making much noise, but when the 'singing section' is about as far away as its possible to get from them in the south end of the East its simply not loud enough to encourage folk to join in.

Somebody on here said Raith Rovers had sold out the bottom deck of the south for Saturday ... if thats true section 43 had better step up to the plate :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Heard from a decent source that the East was built high so no one in the houses behind it could get a view of the ground while a game was on...Hmm :hmmm:

MADE IN LEITH
04-02-2014, 10:13 AM
We have improved the Stadium vastly and the services it offers but we still only offer a mximum capacity of 20k which we can't even fill. Gone are the day's of when we did have the atmosphere of the 1950's were we saw crowds in excess of 60k. Don't be fooled and think that there are other competing sports or interests other than football, since this does not effect the English Premiership?

Our game in Scotland is not as attractive and does not attract as much money from TV or other types of sponsorship and that obviously effects what team is allowed to play on the park to entertain. This in turn negatively reflects the attendance records which we see at ER and every other Team in the Scottish Premirship (with the exception of the Old Firm). Why are the old firm exempt from this? Because they are winning

What Hibs need is a winning Team on the Park which we once had in the 1950's and attracted the droves of fans which filled ER to near capacity. I am sure Butcher will give us success and with that success we can can fill Easter Road to at least respectable levels which the Team will deserve.

GGTTH

Heedersnvolleys
04-02-2014, 10:22 AM
We have improved the Stadium vastly and the services it offers but we still only offer a mximum capacity of 20k which we can't even fill. Gone are the day's of when we did have the atmosphere of the 1950's were we saw crowds in excess of 60k. Don't be fooled and think that there are other competing sports or interests other than football, since this does not effect the English Premiership?

Our game in Scotland is not as attractive and does not attract as much money from TV or other types of sponsorship and that obviously effects what team is allowed to play on the park to entertain. This in turn negatively reflects the attendance records which we see at ER and every other Team in the Scottish Premirship (with the exception of the Old Firm). Why are the old firm exempt from this? Because they are winning

What Hibs need is a winning Team on the Park which we once had in the 1950's and attracted the droves of fans which filled ER to near capacity. I am sure Butcher will give us success and with that success we can can fill Easter Road to at least respectable levels which the Team will deserve.

GGTTH

This

Once Terry gets us going you wil be struggling to find a seat :wink:

Brightside
04-02-2014, 10:44 AM
How does closing parts of the ground improve atmosphere? Good, fast, exciting football will create atmosphere.....and fill the ground!

hibsmad
04-02-2014, 10:53 AM
But why does it matter? Does it benefit the club or the fans if it looks better on TV? And if it does, is that benefit worth pissing off fans by making them move?

To be honest I think it could benefit the club.

1. Better atmosphere. This should lead to improved support for the team which would ultimately have an improved impact on results.
2. The better atmosphere would make the occasion more enjoyable for fans which would make them more likely to come back more often. This would lead to more revenue for the club.
3. The clubs profile would be improved as the stadium would look more impressive on tv. This could lead to players being more keen to play for us and sponsors being more keen to be associated with us.
4. The club would save money through not having to open certain sections of the ground.

I'm not saying that it is something the club should do, but it is certainly worth debating. The big question would be how much it would piss of supporters asked to move. Obviously they wouldn't want to but if it was put to them that it would benefit the club as a whole then I believe most would be willing to do it. Admittedly not all though.

All I am saying is that it is worth looking at.

Posh Swanny
04-02-2014, 12:09 PM

Ahh, but it's not the viewing pleasure of the TV watchers this would be aimed at. In fact, it would be more likely to help achieve your second point as the current sight of row upon row of empty green seats behind the goals is hardly the greatest advert for the vibrancy one can expect when visiting Easter Road. Compared to how the home end at Tynecastle always looks on TV (the Celtic pumping aside), Easter Road crowds often look embarrassing - even if they are a fairly respectable 11,000 or so.

Billy Whizz
04-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Standing in the lower Famous five would help fill that area

Hibrandenburg
04-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Let the yams play there every weekend, the atmosphere was brilliant against ICT, I loved it.

Jones28
04-02-2014, 05:00 PM
How does closing parts of the ground improve atmosphere? Good, fast, exciting football will create atmosphere.....and fill the ground!

I think that by having the fans closer together it would be eaSier for songs and chants to spread, thus creating a better atmosphere.

Your way works too but :greengrin

HibbyKeith
04-02-2014, 06:59 PM
There really isn't anywhere in the stadium that you wouldn't get a good view from so moving to anywhere in the stadium shouldn't be an issue. (I would be for some no doubt though)

To create a better atmosphere for the players however...

Singing section, Lower Tier, Famous Five, FACT!

or alternatively, a decent product on the park for everyone to actually get excited about. :greengrin

Andy74
04-02-2014, 07:02 PM
If half the folk worrying about how it looks on TV went to the game it wouldn't be an issue.

MWHIBBIES
04-02-2014, 07:06 PM

I think this could improve the atmosphere and appearance quite a lot. Perhaps the club should think about this when selling Seasons and on line tickets next year. Any thoughts?Yeah, how about we don't do that because uprooting Hibs fans(including me) who have been sitting there for years is an awful idea.

MWHIBBIES
04-02-2014, 07:07 PM
If half the folk worrying about how it looks on TV went to the game it wouldn't be an issue.:top marks

greenlad
04-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Yeah, how about we don't do that because uprooting Hibs fans(including me) who have been sitting there for years is an awful idea.

:top marks

Heedersnvolleys
04-02-2014, 07:25 PM
If half the folk worrying about how it looks on TV went to the game it wouldn't be an issue.

I agree but also if it looked more appealing on the TV and it looked like the crowd was having a good time it may also encourage those sitting in front of the TV to come along!

iwasthere1972
05-02-2014, 01:58 PM
I agree but also if it looked more appealing on the TV and it looked like the crowd was having a good time it may also encourage those sitting in front of the TV to come along!

I would think that it's what happens on the pitch rather than off it that entices fans to Easter Road.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
05-02-2014, 03:36 PM

:agree::top marks

.Sean.
05-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Attendance could be as low as 8k. No way is it going to be anywhere near 14k
8000 would be quite frankly disgraceful. Luckily the crown will be nowhere near as that. Hopefully 13 - 14000.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
05-02-2014, 07:24 PM
8000 would be quite frankly disgraceful. Luckily the crown will be nowhere near as that. Hopefully 13 - 14000.

Hope so!

TheBruce
06-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Better football = bigger crowds !! but for me there is no excuse for not going to watch the team you support ! I travel from London every week yet many fans can't make it from leith walk !!!

SunshineOnLeith
06-02-2014, 11:19 PM

I'd bet on the crowd being closer to 8,000 than 14,000 on Saturday.

Scònaldò
07-02-2014, 10:30 AM
I agree that better quality of football on show equals better crowds, but is their not a case for the opposite also? ie. better crowds would lead to better football?

I know there's factors as to why fans don't go (money etc.) but what's the point of sitting in your livingrooms complaining when you can get off your buttocks and do something about it?

Hibdan12
07-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Better football = bigger crowds !! but for me there is no excuse for not going to watch the team you support ! I travel from London every week yet many fans can't make it from leith walk !!!

That must be expensive!

TheBruce
07-02-2014, 02:32 PM
It very expensive !!!!

inglisavhibs
07-02-2014, 05:55 PM

It's up to the team to generate atmosphere. If the team plays well, the fans react. Only Crystal Palace fans in the UK create a good atmosphere when playing badly!

Ronniekirk
08-02-2014, 09:24 AM
You are to be commended ,here was me thinking I do well travelling through from paisley for most games :top marks

Hibernia&Alba
08-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Poor atmosphere is something fans of every club seem to complain of these days, and it isn't an easy problem to fix. A combination of all seater stadia, alcohol ban and much higher ticket prices has severely affected the atmosphere over the past couple of decades. It can never be like it was in the terracing era. Hence the best atmosphere is now invariably amongst away fans, who often still stand, and many of whom have had a drink or two before the game.