View Full Version : Return for KT?

Pages : 1 [2]

Aldo
06-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Hope your no planning a cruise :titanic::titanic:

Wasn't planning on it mate!! :-)

EskbankHibee
06-02-2014, 07:55 PM
I'll make my points again and help this thread back on track. This time hopefully not get called a yam.

Kevin Thomson has not been excluded because of a bust up. The team has also been poor - especially in te middle of the park. TB is trying new things, I can understand that but now is the time to play our best player and get the best out of him. Sometimes that means playing the ball to feet not hopelessly long up to Collins. We've also added pace in January. No one better IMO to feed these guys than Thomson.

Stringer
06-02-2014, 08:02 PM
KT takes too many touches. If he can be a disciplined CDM then he can be an asset. He reads the game well but can be a hot head. Also don't buy his ' I'm a hibby' stuff. Just because he is a guid honest hibs man shouldn't mean he gets a chance at the club.

Kato
06-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Why would any Hibs fan want to start rumours and upset the camaraderie in the changing room?

Am with you there, mate. Start rumours, spread rumours. Doesn't help Hibs.

silverhibee
06-02-2014, 09:25 PM
I'll make my points again and help this thread back on track. This time hopefully not get called a yam.

Kevin Thomson has not been excluded because of a bust up. The team has also been poor - especially in te middle of the park. TB is trying new things, I can understand that but now is the time to play our best player and get the best out of him. Sometimes that means playing the ball to feet not hopelessly long up to Collins. We've also added pace in January. No one better IMO to feed these guys than Thomson.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion on here but i just can't see Butcher putting KT back in to the team again unless we are hampered with injuries and suspensions, i think even KT now knows this and basically admitted that in his interview, i really can't say since his return that he has totally dominated a game in his 2nd spell back at Hibs and he has also been pretty injury prone too, he will leave Hibs in the summer to make way for the manager to bring in his own players.

NOLA
06-02-2014, 10:20 PM
9 pages :yawn: so is he playing on saturday or not :wink:

Ronniekirk
06-02-2014, 10:36 PM

If you have read all the posts you will know the answer is Watch this space., my personal objective opinion ,which involves no malice whatsoever to the player ,is no he won't be :wink::fishin::a bite::timebomb::tin hat:

SMAXXA
06-02-2014, 10:37 PM

No, back in full training next week

This comment that keeps being made about him taking to many touches is bollox aswell, im a ***** team you will always be tempted to take more touches as you will either have limited options around you or you don't have the trust I'm others to feed them the ball.

We have improved as a team and looked to have strengthened in January so it's a bit of a fresh start so let's see what happens on the next two or three weeks.

oldbutdim
06-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Good interview by Kevin. He said all the right things and denied the wee strops with Maurice which was a good move.
Terry wasn't too happy about Kevin giving the interview but liked the result.
Perhaps continuing in this vein will give Kevin a shot at playing again. I understand his pleas to play in the young team were knocked back on more than one occasion.

That cat fella seems to know his stuff.
Allegedly.

Pete
07-02-2014, 01:38 AM
What's all this nonsense about not playing well? I keep hearing about " hoofball" too.

I was going to ask if these people understand what Terry is trying to develop but I'm more inclined to ask if they actually watch us at all.

This thread has undercurrents.

YehButNoBut
07-02-2014, 06:23 AM
Terry Butcher has urged Kevin Thomson to get fit and prove what he can do on the training pitch and says is a lot of guff that there has been a fallout with him & MM.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/butcher-urges-thomson-to-force-way-into-hibs-side-1-3297620

Terry Butcher has urged Kevin Thomson to get fit and prove what he can do on the training pitch after being heartened by news of the player’s desire to win back his place in the Hibernian midfield.

The Hibs manager dismissed rumours of a rift, just as Thomson had done 24 hours earlier. The midfielder stressed that he wants to play a part “in future rounds” of the Scottish Cup, providing Hibs can progress past Raith Rovers in this weekend’s fifth-round clash. Thomson won’t be involved tomorrow as he continues to recover from a calf strain but Butcher did not rule out a return to the team for the 29-year-old.

Indeed, he encouraged the player to look to the example of Tom Taiwo as someone who has battled his way back into the frame after seeming to be surplus to requirements. Taiwo came into the starting line-up for the first time under Butcher against Celtic just over a fortnight ago. “The door is never closed, it is always open,” pointed out the manager. “It is up to players then to push it wider.”

With specific reference to Thomson, Butcher added: “He needs to get fit first. He has not been available to play since the St Johnstone game [in December]. He has only featured in four out of my 12 games. He has to get fit and he has to get out there. And he has to get some time on the training field, first and foremost.
“I think I have shown with Tom Taiwo that it is never say never,” he added. “I will never say, ‘You will never play for this football club again’. You might say things like ‘game time will be limited because other players have come in and done well’ but it is up to players like Kevin. If he is adamant that he wants to get back into the team, then I welcome it.”

Thomson has made only two brief substitute appearances for Butcher. Speculation has been rife about why he has fallen out of favour but Thomson has insisted there is no problem between him and any member of the coaching staff, amid rumours of a bust-up with Maurice Malpas, the assistant manager. Butcher also denied this was the case. “What a load of guff,” the manager confirmed yesterday.

“Kevin is a good professional and he loves this football club,” Butcher added. “He has had some great, great times at this football club. And who is to say there cannot be great times ahead? But he has to work hard and get to the standard that I feel is right for the team, because there are some good players in his position who have done well.

“Can we put that to bed now?”

Ronniekirk
07-02-2014, 07:14 AM
What's all this nonsense about not playing well? I keep hearing about " hoofball" too.

I was going to ask if these people understand what Terry is trying to develop but I'm more inclined to ask if they actually watch us at all.

This thread has undercurrents.

Don't know about under CURRENTS but the same people keep RAISIN the same points. it's clear that now KT has decided to stay there has had to be a clearing of the air between all parties and it's now down to whether KT can get fit enough and impress in training to convince TB he can do a job in the Team better than others can Think he will feature in the under 20 team as he played with them before.Heff has had to do that recently and will be interested to see if he has done enough to up his fitness to force his way back into team yet .

Aldo
07-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Don't know about under CURRENTS but the same people keep RAISIN the same points. it's clear that now KT has decided to stay there has had to be a clearing of the air between all parties and it's now down to whether KT can get fit enough and impress in training to convince TB he can do a job in the Team better than others can Think he will feature in the under 20 team as he played with them before.Heff has had to do that recently and will be interested to see if he has done enough to up his fitness to force his way back into team yet .

Can highlight on phone but first two lines Ronnie , dear dear ;-)

oldbutdim
07-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Can highlight on phone but first two lines Ronnie , dear dear ;-)

Now now.

No in sultana fellow poster.
:wink:

Heedersnvolleys
07-02-2014, 08:12 AM
it's clear that now KT has decided to stay there has had to be a clearing of the air between all parties and it's now down to whether KT can get fit enough and impress in training to convince TB he can do a job in the Team better than others can

I don't think it is clear the KT has decided to stay. I think nothing happened over the transfer window that suited KT and/or hibs so he had no choice but to stay so had to clear the air to give himself a chance. TB also hinting at what I had heard was that there was no argument but TB is frustrated that he is constantly on the treatment table!

Aldo
07-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Now now. No in sultana fellow poster. :wink:

Ha ha. Thanks for RAISIN the issue mate. ;-)

ahibby
07-02-2014, 08:30 AM
I would otherwise leave this thread alone because I think that everything that can be said about the KT situation has probably been said. However, I want to respond to those who say we are playing a hoofball game. Well I haven't missed many games under TB and MM and I just don't see it. In fact, for example, we played many times in front of Celtic, when I for one thought the better tactic would have been to play the ball in behind them. I am happy to say that we didn't stick to playing in front of them nor to playing it behind them. We changed our play from one to the other and I am as sure as anyone can be that contributed to the plaudits we received for taking the game to them and as a result people mooting that their goalie was their best player that day. I didn't think we had the players to be able to play through the top team in Scotland and I was proved wrong. I don't see the current style Hibs play as hoofball at all.

Ronniekirk
07-02-2014, 09:55 AM
I would otherwise leave this thread alone because I think that everything that can be said about the KT situation has probably been said. However, I want to respond to those who say we are playing a hoofball game. Well I haven't missed many games under TB and MM and I just don't see it. In fact, for example, we played many times in front of Celtic, when I for one thought the better tactic would have been to play the ball in behind them. I am happy to say that we didn't stick to playing in front of them nor to playing it behind them. We changed our play from one to the other and I am as sure as anyone can be that contributed to the plaudits we received for taking the game to them and as a result people mooting that their goalie was their best player that day. I didn't think we had the players to be able to play through the top team in Scotland and I was proved wrong. I don't see the current style Hibs play as hoofball at all.

We have had Raisins and sultanas and now you are introducing currents .Think we now have enough ingredients .Take your point but there have been periods in games when long balls up to Collins have been tried and it rarely comes to anything . he is better in the box winning headers and has been unlucky not to score with a few efforts but he isn't a target man that seems able to control the high ball forward well enough .In fact I still think in some games his ball control is at times very poor whereas Heff has that ability but doesn't have Collins energy .as always combine their best attributes and we would have a player on our hands .

cmcd
07-02-2014, 10:12 AM
I don't think it is clear the KT has decided to stay. I think nothing happened over the transfer window that suited KT and/or hibs so he had no choice but to stay so had to clear the air to give himself a chance. TB also hinting at what I had heard was that there was no argument but TB is frustrated that he is constantly on the treatment table!
Think Think Think IM sorry but in my opinion this is the sort of post that has caused arguements for days now The player and management are telling you what the situation is and you are still saying the opposite I honestly think its time to put this to bed and move on My opinion only

Heedersnvolleys
07-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Think Think Think IM sorry but in my opinion this is the sort of post that has caused arguements for days now The player and management are telling you what the situation is and you are still saying the opposite I honestly think its time to put this to bed and move on My opinion only
All I am saying it is rather convenient to have the clear talk from both sides after window has shut when they had plenty time to put it to bed themselves during or before the window even opened if it was all parties intention for him to stay. To state my case I am KT fan so I am not having a dig at anyone. All the above "in my opinion" too. :greengrin

EskbankHibee
07-02-2014, 10:25 AM

I don't mind a more direct style sometimes, but if you are going to play that way then you have to get results. I've been to every game except Aberdeen away, which I watched on tv, and it hasn't been good. The games against Partick, St Johnstone and St Mirren at home in particular were a throwback to the Williamson days, hoofball for 90 mins and poor results! As I've said before, hopefully the new signings, with a bit more pace will encourage a better style of football.

Blaster
07-02-2014, 10:29 AM
I don't mind a more direct style sometimes, but if you are going to play that way then you have to get results. I've been to every game except Aberdeen away, which I watched on tv, and it hasn't been good. The games against Partick, St Johnstone and St Mirren at home in particular were a throwback to the Williamson days, hoofball for 90 mins and poor results! As I've said before, hopefully the new signings, with a bit more pace will encourage a better style of football.

what about killie and hearts at home, Ross county away and the majority of the Dundee united away game?

EskbankHibee
07-02-2014, 11:11 AM
what about killie and hearts at home, Ross county away and the majority of the Dundee united away game?

Apart from the Kilmarnock game, which was still hoofball at times, the games you are referring to were won or drawn due to long balls. If you were at those games you would know that. As I say, it's fine to play that way if you get results. However, the results are now worse than Fenlon

Kato
07-02-2014, 11:12 AM
hoofball for 90 mins

Eating carrots is supposed to be good for your eyesight.

EskbankHibee
07-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Eating carrots is supposed to be good for your eyesight.

I'd love to know what brand of football you see mate

Kato
07-02-2014, 11:19 AM
I'd love to know what brand of football you see mate

I don't see a brand of football. been watching Hibs for 45 years though and know enough that getting the ball out to the wings quickly, having defenders turn and face their own goal and getting crosses into the box isn't hoofball.

If your so adamant, stand and deliver. Show us from the SPFL highlights youtube pages all this hoofball.

Every team plays long balls, Mowbray's and Tunrbull's teams used it every game to great effect. If we were playing "hoofball" for 90 minutes every game I'm sure I would have noticed.

silverhibee
07-02-2014, 11:53 AM

Our style of football has got better with the introduction of Harris and Stanton in to the team and Lewis when he was playing LM, the ball is staying on the grass a lot more which is good to see, but i think when people say there is a element of hooofball when we play are also correct, i don't miss many games either and i do see lots of balls punted up the park to Collins mainly from Nelson, Collins battles away up there on his own but he never seems to get many passes to feet or a we dink in to him most of it is him challenging a CH in the air for the ball and folk see that as hoofball, others see it as getting the ball forward a lot quicker :greengrin, we have missed Hanlon at the back not only for his defending but also his distribution from the back too he looks for a pass and most of the time it finds a green top, as for Nelson his distribution from the back is pretty poor and he finds it hard to find a green top 10 yards away with a pass from him so he tends to punt the ball up the park for Collins to chase it down/or challenge for it in the air.

Also Butcher obviously likes to commit players forward when we are chasing a game, ie freekicks we pack the box with a lot of players and the ball is punted/hoofed or floated in to the box for a knock down/players getting on the end of things and at times it has worked but it also leaves us wide open at the back for a counter attack from the opposing team which has also happened too.

So i do think there is a element of both, hoofing the ball up the park and some good play now coming in to the team as well, hopefully we see a lot more of the latter but with results as well.

cmcd
07-02-2014, 04:03 PM
I don't see a brand of football. been watching Hibs for 45 years though and know enough that getting the ball out to the wings quickly, having defenders turn and face their own goal and getting crosses into the box isn't hoofball.

If your so adamant, stand and deliver. Show us from the SPFL highlights youtube pages all this hoofball.

Every team plays long balls, Mowbray's and Tunrbull's teams used it every game to great effect. If we were playing "hoofball" for 90 minutes every game I'm sure I would have noticed.
Agree with all above

The Sea-gull
07-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Did KT have a big argument with MM back in November? I don't know.

Some folk on here say it did happen, are they lying? I don't know.

Just coz KT and TB say it didn't happen does that mean it didn't? I don't know but sometimes the official party line and the actual happenings at a club are quite different.

One thing I do know is that TB has suggested it is put to bed now so whether it did or did not happen who really cares for now. Maybe KT will come back into favour and it will be forgotton about. Maybe KT will reveal all when he leaves the club - if something did happen he'll look a bit silly though as he'll contradict what he has said this week.

Jonnyboy
07-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Terry Butcher has urged Kevin Thomson to get fit and prove what he can do on the training pitch and says is a lot of guff that there has been a fallout with him & MM.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/butcher-urges-thomson-to-force-way-into-hibs-side-1-3297620

Terry Butcher has urged Kevin Thomson to get fit and prove what he can do on the training pitch after being heartened by news of the player’s desire to win back his place in the Hibernian midfield.

The Hibs manager dismissed rumours of a rift, just as Thomson had done 24 hours earlier. The midfielder stressed that he wants to play a part “in future rounds” of the Scottish Cup, providing Hibs can progress past Raith Rovers in this weekend’s fifth-round clash. Thomson won’t be involved tomorrow as he continues to recover from a calf strain but Butcher did not rule out a return to the team for the 29-year-old.

Indeed, he encouraged the player to look to the example of Tom Taiwo as someone who has battled his way back into the frame after seeming to be surplus to requirements. Taiwo came into the starting line-up for the first time under Butcher against Celtic just over a fortnight ago. “The door is never closed, it is always open,” pointed out the manager. “It is up to players then to push it wider.”

With specific reference to Thomson, Butcher added: “He needs to get fit first. He has not been available to play since the St Johnstone game [in December]. He has only featured in four out of my 12 games. He has to get fit and he has to get out there. And he has to get some time on the training field, first and foremost.
“I think I have shown with Tom Taiwo that it is never say never,” he added. “I will never say, ‘You will never play for this football club again’. You might say things like ‘game time will be limited because other players have come in and done well’ but it is up to players like Kevin. If he is adamant that he wants to get back into the team, then I welcome it.”

Thomson has made only two brief substitute appearances for Butcher. Speculation has been rife about why he has fallen out of favour but Thomson has insisted there is no problem between him and any member of the coaching staff, amid rumours of a bust-up with Maurice Malpas, the assistant manager. Butcher also denied this was the case. “What a load of guff,” the manager confirmed yesterday.

“Kevin is a good professional and he loves this football club,” Butcher added. “He has had some great, great times at this football club. And who is to say there cannot be great times ahead? But he has to work hard and get to the standard that I feel is right for the team, because there are some good players in his position who have done well.

“Can we put that to bed now?”

Says it all really

SMAXXA
07-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Apart from the Kilmarnock game, which was still hoofball at times, the games you are referring to were won or drawn due to long balls. If you were at those games you would know that. As I say, it's fine to play that way if you get results. However, the results are now worse than Fenlon

Rubbish, i was at the Hearts, Dundee UTD and Celtic games and it's was definitely not hoofball.

Blaster
07-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Rubbish, i was at the Hearts, Dundee UTD and Celtic games and it's was definitely not hoofball.

Totally agree. Felt it wasn't worth any further discussion with said poster who has his blinkers on

hibbysam
07-02-2014, 08:01 PM

Hearts? I'm sorry but we played long ball after long ball to Collins who bullied there defence and won free kicks in dangerous areas which we took advantage of... Perfect tactics that night but definitely not good on the eye! I wasn't at united and I thought the players we played against Celtic allowed us to play with the ball on the deck... But it's all well and good if your getting results, but the last 4 games when we haven't picked up results then it turns into negative hoofball... The only difference in my opinion to pats days is we do it before we play the 20 hopeless sideways passes which doesn't allow the defenders to settle and is resulting in us having a lot more shots on goal and play in the opposition half!

Alfred E Newman
08-02-2014, 04:43 PM
After we watching that dross today, I find it incredible that Thomson can't get a place in what must be one of the most powder puff midfields in the country.

PPZPOL
08-02-2014, 04:50 PM
After we watching that dross today, I find it incredible that Thomson can't get a place in what must be one of the most powder puff midfields in the country.

I agree 100%, I can't see what Craig brings to CM that Thompson couldn't? And don't get me started on Taiwo, he was shelved previously for a good reason....and that reason is that he's gash. Please stop playing him before I poke my eyes out with a rusty metal nail.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Thomson and/or Robertson in for next game.

Cameron1875
08-02-2014, 05:03 PM
:agree::agree::agree:
Thomson and/or Robertson in for next game.

OsloHibs
08-02-2014, 05:07 PM
I read that interview where Terry says that KT isn't fit enough right now.... Surely that's the management team's job to make sure the players are all fit? Something just isn't right with this whole situation. I'm getting fed up with it. Been going on for too long now.

offshorehibby
08-02-2014, 05:41 PM
I read that interview where Terry says that KT isn't fit enough right now.... Surely that's the management team's job to make sure the players are all fit? Something just isn't right with this whole situation. I'm getting fed up with it. Been going on for too long now.

Just started back to training after an injury is why he's not fit.

Steven_Hibs
08-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Just started back to training after an injury is why he's not fit.

If he doesn't start next week, I doubt our management team.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-02-2014, 06:07 PM
If he doesn't start next week, I doubt our management team.

He needs to start. I'd be even more worried if he isn't even on the bench.

Leishy1995
08-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Our most naturally talented player. He needs to play. With Stanton Harris and Watmore behind Collins/Haynes/Heff he won't have a problem passing forward.