PDA

View Full Version : Yams Premature scarf twirling

Bostonhibby
02-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Did they shoot their bolt too early?

They only really do this when they are winning, or even have won but I am now left wondering if seeing this "unique" expression of support so early is what lulled tattoo man into a false sense of security, and thinking it was already won he just decided not to keep possession in the last 90 seconds. The wee celebratory gesture with a mutant might suggest he thought it was all over.:greengrin

Seveno
02-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Well it's all over now. :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
02-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Twirl cos we're smelly!
we only twirl cos we're smelly...

monktonharp
02-02-2014, 10:16 PM
I've always thought that their scarf twirling thing was quite colourful , although it annoyed me on a few occasions. It was a bit original, in Scottish terms and maybe lifted their team to drive on and close the game down. did not work today though:wink:

Green Reaper
03-02-2014, 02:57 AM
Wonder how it originated, closest thing I can think of is the twirling things for the Pope appearances at the Vatican, not exactly sure about it but seen something on tv like that

GreenLake
03-02-2014, 03:11 AM
Twirling looks like something cheerleaders would do with their knickers. In the case of the jambos, it's probably a primitive mating ritual amongst each other to stimulate rutting in the stadium toilets which leaves dents in the doors.

Hibercelona
03-02-2014, 03:17 AM
http://oi58.tinypic.com/155qc20.jpg

http://oi62.tinypic.com/hv1007.jpg

poolman
03-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Twirling looks like something cheerleaders would do with their knickers. In the case of the jambos, it's probably a primitive mating ritual amongst each other to stimulate rutting in the stadium toilets which leaves dents in the doors.

Yup,they're like a bunch o' wee lassies at a jolly hockey match

Keith_M
03-02-2014, 06:52 PM
I've always thought that their scarf twirling thing was quite colourful , although it annoyed me on a few occasions. It was a bit original, in Scottish terms and maybe lifted their team to drive on and close the game down. did not work today though:wink:

Perhaps, but not at Hearts.

Their big cousins at Ibrox have been doing this for as long as I remember. They do it in answer to Celtc fans raising their scarves to sing You'll Never Walk Alone, which they consider to be associated with Kafflik clubs. I'm sure the yams originally copied them, because of the same reasoning.

HibbySpurs
03-02-2014, 07:54 PM
I always think that scarf twirling is for people who are either educationally challenged or only have 1 arm which prevents them from holding it sbove their head like normal football fans:D

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Hibernia Na Eir
03-02-2014, 07:55 PM
twirling is girly and gay.

Fizz
03-02-2014, 08:13 PM
It's to keep the flies off :wink:

weonlywon6-2
03-02-2014, 08:14 PM
It's to keep the flies off :wink:

best reason for why they do it,belter !!!

cabbageandribs1875
03-02-2014, 08:20 PM
the twirly is girly...FACT...endof, so camp :lolyam:

:music:you do the girly twirly and you turn around, that's what it's all about

Irish_Steve
03-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Has anyone got a pic of the tattooed freak celebrating with the mutant then? I flicked over the check the Liverpool score as, like the flumps, I thought it was all over. Imagine my joy when i turn back to see the ICT boy poke the ball in the net. Priceless

Greentinted
03-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Has anyone got a pic of the tattooed freak celebrating with the mutant then? I flicked over the check the Liverpool score as, like the flumps, I thought it was all over. Imagine my joy when i turn back to see the ICT boy poke the ball in the net. Priceless

Here ye go :greengrin

surreyhibbie
03-02-2014, 11:27 PM
twirling is girly and gay.

Could not agree more. Has to be the most cringeworthy display ever seen At a football match.

Just looks so wrong to me.

Bill Milne
04-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Best one I remember was a mass twirl just prior to Ally Mcleod knocking in the equaliser to deny Hertz their first derby win in a long time. This prompted a charge towards the few Hibbys left on the McLeod Street terracing. I was in the stand that day and was, relatively, safe and able to laugh my nuts off.

GlenrothesHibee
04-02-2014, 10:39 AM
I think its quite smart to be fair. Don't see whats wrong with it. They dont get the chance to do it much these days anyway.

Hibercelona
04-02-2014, 10:49 AM
I think its quite smart to be fair. Don't see whats wrong with it. They dont get the chance to do it much these days anyway.

It's bad enough that they contaminate 1 stand with their stink when they come to ER. There's no need for them to spread it around the stadium with their scarfs. :jamboak:

GreenLake
04-02-2014, 11:18 AM
It's to keep the flies off :wink::greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
04-02-2014, 01:00 PM
On another thread a sage like Hibby explained this one:

At most clubs who indulge in the practice this is indeed known as scarf twirling

At the Wongadome it is symbolic of a turd swirling around the toilet bowl after the flush and relates to their once proud club going down the pan, henceforth known as 'flushing the turd'

heretoday
04-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Scarf twirling is so pathetic it's sad. The old Jam Tarts - not "Jambos" - we used to rub shoulders with in the 60s and 70s wouldn't have approved of that at all.

They used to stand on the terrace and shout obscenities at the likes of Eric Carruthers and Ernie Winchester - in between swigs of Export.

Aye, they're not the men they were.

TRIALIST
04-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Wonder how it originated, closest thing I can think of is the twirling things for the Pope appearances at the Vatican, not exactly sure about it but seen something on tv like that

Twirling scarfs was started by Leeds fans in the seventies. Quite impressive on match of the day highlights.

'Adopted' by the Gorgie tea leafs just after that.

Yep the stealing has been going on for some time.

Bostonhibby
04-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Twirling scarfs was started by Leeds fans in the seventies. Quite impressive on match of the day highlights.

Some great responses on this one, particularly liked this because of the common bond - 2 busted flushes that overstretched, funded by debt. The Leeds model could be an example of the best the yam can hope for - club chasing a dream, no eye on the cost or where the money came from now resigned to the wilderness for longer than they thought they would be because they were a "big team".

Keep twirling...................

dastardly8
04-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Roasters

MM19
04-02-2014, 06:44 PM

If not Leeds it was when they used to play in the Texaco Cup (when we played in Europe) and one of the teams they played did it. Maybe Wolves?? They started it after that.

cabbageandribs1875
04-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Leeds fans do it the manly way :jmcp: ....hertz and wolves fans do it the girly way...fact end of etc etc etc :agree:

:)

weonlywon6-2
04-02-2014, 07:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfgDz4YIcAAQyxv.jpg

loved this