PDA

View Full Version : Players' missing finals?

Viva_Palmeiras
02-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Should players carded (red or over threshold) in semis miss the final?
Players walking the "tightrope" changes the complexion and tactics of games.
All adds to semis being even more fraught.

So I say allow all players fit to play be eligible for the final.

You get the best 11 v 11 and managers can set out their teams without fear and you don't get teams like the yams Targetting those on said tightrope.

Glory Lurker
02-02-2014, 06:36 PM
I often feel sorry for the player who gets a yellow in the semi and will miss the final (indeed, even Gascoigne back in the day), but I think it would distort the competition if it was felt you could get away with bad behaviour in the semi.

easty
02-02-2014, 06:39 PM
You should need more than 2 bookings over the course of a tournament to receive a ban, but if you get a red card in the semi then you've nobody to blame but yourself.

scoopyboy
02-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Might have been covered elsewhere but is Josh Meekings banned from the final?

In last years semi Scott Robinson got a red but was able to play in the final.

Billy Whizz
02-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Might have been covered elsewhere but is Josh Meekings banned from the final?

In last years semi Scott Robinson got a red but was able to play in the final.
Not sure, straight red usually means missing the next game, regardless of the competition, although Caley are likely to appeal

Hibs Class
02-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Felt sorry for warren today. Not only did he have to suffer a full frontal assault by hahahammil but he then got booked for his inability to get out of the way which means him missing the final. Does seem cruel.

Makaveli
02-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Perhaps an unpopular opinion but I oppose the whole idea of suspensions for accrued bookings, cup or league.

Two reasons:

1) If an infraction isn't enough to get you sent off in one game, I don't see why a combined total of this and other similar infractions should see you sit out a different game at some arbitrary point in the future.

2) The opposing team who plays against a side weakened through suspension gains an unfair relative advantage over teams who had to play against a full-strength side (only applies to league games).

Sir David Gray
02-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Unless you get sent off for violent conduct, you shouldn't miss a cup final.

ancient hibee
02-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Unless you get sent off for violent conduct, you shouldn't miss a cup final.

So you think it fair that a club gets to a final because a player handles the ball to stop an opposing player getting a goal scoring opportunity that the player is not suspended?

Sir David Gray
02-02-2014, 07:42 PM
So you think it fair that a club gets to a final because a player handles the ball to stop an opposing player getting a goal scoring opportunity that the player is not suspended?

OK, I'll rephrase that.

Unless you get a straight red card in the semi final, you shouldn't be suspended for the final.

If you get a booking in the semi which carries you over the threshold, the suspension should apply in the first round of the cup in the following season.

ancient hibee
02-02-2014, 07:49 PM
OK, I'll rephrase that.

Unless you get a straight red card in the semi final, you shouldn't be suspended for the final.

If you get a booking in the semi which carries you over the threshold, the suspension should apply in the first round of the cup in the following season.

:top marks

Andy74
03-02-2014, 09:01 AM
OK, I'll rephrase that.

Agree - two yellows across a tournament and missing a final is harsh.

lord bunberry
03-02-2014, 09:12 AM
Why can't we have an appeal system for yellow cards? It would take Vince lunny all of 30 seconds to decide that some of the bookings should be rescinded.

Vini1875
03-02-2014, 10:21 AM
Of course it should it's two bookings over five games. The whole point of a booking is to act as a warning. Possibly they could look at the appeal system for bookings in cup competitions, but clubs will use all means to get around the rules. If a player can't avoid two bookings in five games then maybe he doesn't deserve to be at a final. Allowing players away with fouls encourages the hammer throwers and not the ball players. I prefer to see ball players in the game rather than the hoods.

--------
03-02-2014, 10:42 AM
OK, I'll rephrase that.

:top marks Common sense and entirely fair. :agree:

Mikey09
03-02-2014, 11:03 AM
:top marks Common sense and entirely fair. :agree:

But the SFA don't do common sense Doddie!! :wink:

LaMotta
03-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Why can't we have an appeal system for yellow cards? It would take Vince lunny all of 30 seconds to decide that some of the bookings should be rescinded.

Can you imagine how many appeals there would be though!? Especially after Craig Thomson had just taken charge of one of our games....

.Sean.
03-02-2014, 11:34 AM
I think the rule with players missing finals should be altered. Bookings etc should be wiped, you should be banned however if it's serious foul play in the semi or the week before.

--------
03-02-2014, 01:10 PM
But the SFA don't do common sense Doddie!! :wink:

Don't we just know it.

A number of yellow cards received over the course of the tournament shouldn't mean a player misses the final. A red for violent or dangerous play - of course he misses out, it's his own fault. Deliberate handball (a la Suarez) - he misses out. Two yellows in the semi - arguably, he misses out.

But the clubs should be able to appeal and bring in video evidence in support of their appeal, and the officials should be able to speak at the hearing either to justify their decisions or to revise them - people make mistakes, and honestly admitting it isn't as questionable as the balnk silence we get from referees and disciplinary committees right now.

Of course, it would help if referees and assistants were capable of getting the majority of the big decisions right, and if they all referees according to the same rule-book. Inconsistency and plain incompetence are the real issues here. Not to mention the question of certain referees being considerably less than impartial.

frazeHFC
03-02-2014, 01:34 PM
I think the rule with players missing finals should be altered. Bookings etc should be wiped, you should be banned however if it's serious foul play in the semi or the week before.

:agree:

Totally agree, dangerous play or violent conduct in the semi deserves a ban, but 2 soft yellows or a yellow leading to a ban shouldn't apply for the final imo aswell.

Eyrie
03-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Of course it should it's two bookings over five games. The whole point of a booking is to act as a warning. Possibly they could look at the appeal system for bookings in cup competitions, but clubs will use all means to get around the rules. If a player can't avoid two bookings in five games then maybe he doesn't deserve to be at a final. Allowing players away with fouls encourages the hammer throwers and not the ball players. I prefer to see ball players in the game rather than the hoods.

Agree with this.

Why change the rules for one game? Why not cancel all yellow cards at the final whistle of every game?

essexhibee
03-02-2014, 05:22 PM
First sending off was a joke. For the first booking he stood his ground ffs. Second red card was cynical but he wasn't last man so why the straight red?

green.and.white
03-02-2014, 05:49 PM
The fact that you could get booked in the first round, then 4 rounds later pick up an undeserved/harsh yellow card (mainly down to the incompetency of all our referees) and then miss the final is an absolute joke

EastCalderHibby
03-02-2014, 08:31 PM
HA HA HEARTS :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Maybe time to bring back appeals against Yellow cards? That first sending off yesterday was a bloody joke, i mean i'm not sure there was even a foul, and i'm not sure he booked the right player if there was?

clerriehibs
03-02-2014, 09:10 PM
I often feel sorry for the player who gets a yellow in the semi and will miss the final (indeed, even Gascoigne back in the day), but I think it would distort the competition if it was felt you could get away with bad behaviour in the semi.

he should have been off, and it would probably have been forest as finalists if he had. Sorry for him? No chance.

In saying that, the refs don't get too many cards wrong - so the less you cheat (and incur a card), the less chance there is of you missing the final. That's exactly how it should be.

Cheaters never win ... ultimately ... ask a yam.