PDA

View Full Version : Today's Ref, John Beaton

brog
02-02-2014, 04:59 PM
A few days ago I posted I had been impressed with both John Beaton & Bobby Madden this season. Can I please amend my comment re JB? He had a shocker today. There was one really bad tackle in the match, that came from Robinson after 5 minutes yet ICT had 2 players sent off. Warren's 2 yellows were very soft & sending off Meekings for tripping a Yam 70 yards from goal was just ridiculous. Now I know I'm not neutral but I thought the posturing of Yams players today was awful. In the first 20 minutes they committed foul after foul yet whenever ICT won a ball there was a Yam rolling about like he was shot. As it happens Beaton's ineptitude helped create one of the funniest & best results ever but the fact ICT won should not mean we forget his performance. Hopefully Meekings can win an appeal re his red & make the final.

roryg
02-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Let's b honest. Meekings had to go. It was a crazy tackle. I Thot the ref had a great game. He made it a level playing Field by making thistle play with 9 heroes.

Sir David Gray
02-02-2014, 05:03 PM
He had a nightmare today.

Robinson should have been off and Meekings' red card was absurd.

roryg
02-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Yogi !!!

Winston Ingram
02-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Beaton penalties:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
02-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Warren's 2nd yellow was a joke ... hardly touched the cheatin Yam fud and certainly not enough to make him fall over. Meekins sending off was his own fault .. a stupid challenge to make, imagine how much worse he must have felt knowing his team were playing extra time with 9 men when it should have been 10.

WestEndHibee
02-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Warren's 2nd yellow was a joke ... hardly touched the cheatin Yam fud and certainly not enough to make him fall over. Meekins sending off was his own fault .. a stupid challenge to make, imagine how much worse he must have felt knowing his team were playing extra time with 9 men when it should have been 10.

Who's to say they would have scored with 10 men, and who's to say Hearts wouldn't have scored another from that breakaway. I thought it was a cynical "professional foul" (as it is somehow known) that potentially kept ICT in it. not enough for a straight red though.

Bishop Hibee
02-02-2014, 05:17 PM
As Yogi said after the game, if Meekins challenge was a sending off then Robinson should have been off earlier.

Totally inconsistent but so are most refs in Scotland.

Sylar
02-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Meekings' sending off was never a red card. It was no different to deliberately yanking someone's shirt and stopping them progressing.

All he did was make sure, in an explicit way, that Hearts weren't breaking away. It wasn't dangerous, it wasn't reckless and it wasn't preventing a goal-scoring opportunity.

That sort of foul used to be deemed a 'professional' foul, taking one for the team...it was worthy of a card, without a doubt but red was 100% the wrong colour!

jdships
02-02-2014, 05:34 PM
He had a nightmare today.

Robinson should have been off and Meekings' red card was absurd.

That was my only real gripe.
Other than that
REF : 8/10

LaMotta
02-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Meekings' sending off was never a red card. It was no different to deliberately yanking someone's shirt and stopping them progressing.

All he did was make sure, in an explicit way, that Hearts weren't breaking away. It wasn't dangerous, it wasn't reckless and it wasn't preventing a goal-scoring opportunity.

That sort of foul used to be deemed a 'professional' foul, taking one for the team...it was worthy of a card, without a doubt but red was 100% the wrong colour!

:agree:

GreenLake
02-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Despite the refs performance clusterf***, I would like to state my overwhelming joy that the yams were deservedly John, by a team of only nine players after 120 minutes of football.

brog
02-02-2014, 05:48 PM

Spot on, you see fouls like this every weekend. It's very frustrating ( for the attacking team ) when it happens but it's always a yellow card. In any other country an appeal would be certain to succeed but I would think in Scotland it's 50/50.

Cropley10
02-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Spot on, you see fouls like this every weekend. It's very frustrating ( for the attacking team ) when it happens but it's always a yellow card. In any other country an appeal would be certain to succeed but I would think in Scotland it's 50/50.

Didn't Beaton ref the Dundee Utd game at ER where he got every decision wrong and ended up booking about 10 players in a game that wasn't even dirty?

Hibercelona
02-02-2014, 06:04 PM
I'm gobsmacked that anybody would view that as a straight red card. It was a trip FFS.

hfc rd
02-02-2014, 06:05 PM
At times, I thought it was Craig Thomson that was officiating this match. I hope ICT appeal both reds. Meekings' tackle was a stupid one but if that is a straight red then that wee yam tramp Robinson should have been sent off for that lunging tackle in the 1st half. Warren's two yellow cards just showed the incompetency of refereeing in Scotland. Two stupid yellows especially the second one.

Having said all of that, I'm very happy that the right team that deserved to win, won today. Well done 9 men Inverness!

inglisavhibs
02-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Only two big mistakes today, Robinson's tackle was a sending off every day of the week and the big centre half was very unlucky with his second booking. Meekings can have no complaints. Anybody else hate Paterson's antics in every match. Moans non stop and feigns injury at every opportunity.

Dashing Bob S
02-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Thought Beaton had a nightmare, but he was probably just obeying instructions to send off opposition players in order to make it a contest.

Alfred E Newman
02-02-2014, 07:02 PM
I think we should be thanking John Beaton for today. We will get a good few years of mileage out of this farcical and embarrassing humiliation.

Aldo
02-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Only two big mistakes today, Robinson's tackle was a sending off every day of the week and the big centre half was very unlucky with his second booking. Meekings can have no complaints. Anybody else hate Paterson's antics in every match. Moans non stop and feigns injury at every opportunity.

Everytime they got tackle the screamed and threw themselves to ground.

Hammill was the worst for it Constantine moaning at ref.

Got what they deserved

Sir David Gray
02-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Everytime they got tackle the screamed and threw themselves to ground.

Hammill was the worst for it Constantine moaning at ref.

Got what they deserved

:agree: I hate these kind of players, Roman around like they own the place.

snooky
02-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Beaton penalties:greengrin

:greengrin VG :aok:

Future17
02-02-2014, 08:22 PM
:agree: I hate these kind of players, Roman around like they own the place.

When Hamill was Roman around on the ground, it was like he was having a Caesar.

Future17
02-02-2014, 08:24 PM
I thought the Meekings red card was a ridiculous decision, but the fact that some on here agree with it just goes to show you'll never get a perfect ref.

lucky
02-02-2014, 08:32 PM
The had a mare, 43 fouls in the game that only had one bad challenge, Robinsons early on, he just kept on stopping the game. After ICT first goal McDonald clearly called him a effing cheat but only got booked. The 2 yellows on for the CH was embarrassing. The second red should have been a yellow. The Yams had a grievance with the handball before the first goal as well. Overall the ref was terrible.

hibbymick
02-02-2014, 08:48 PM
I think Warren made a couple of fouls just prior to being sent off and was more than likely warned by the ref....one more and your off. (hence my prediction he would be sent off :wink:)

Iggy Pope
02-02-2014, 08:55 PM
At times, I thought it was Craig Thomson that was officiating this match. I hope ICT appeal both reds. Meekings' tackle was a stupid one but if that is a straight red then that wee yam tramp Robinson should have been sent off for that lunging tackle in the 1st half. Warren's two yellow cards just showed the incompetency of refereeing in Scotland. Two stupid yellows especially the second one.

Having said all of that, I'm very happy that the right team that deserved to win, won today. Well done 9 men Inverness!

Hard to disagree but can they appeal the first red. Two yellows?

CallumLaidlaw
02-02-2014, 08:59 PM
I honestly don't know how anyone thinks Meekings was a red. It was blocking a player off, well inside the oppositions half. It was a definite yellow. As someone above said, it was the same as tugging someone's jersey when they're getting away from you. It certainly wasn't dangerous. Crazy red.

heretoday
02-02-2014, 09:46 PM
I'm beginning to think all refs are complete berks.

matty_f
02-02-2014, 09:50 PM
I honestly don't know how anyone thinks Meekings was a red. It was blocking a player off, well inside the oppositions half. It was a definite yellow. As someone above said, it was the same as tugging someone's jersey when they're getting away from you. It certainly wasn't dangerous. Crazy red.

:agree: never a red card.

PatHead
02-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Apart from the red card I felt the ref gave too many fouls, wanted to be centre of attention by making free kicks from exact spot and generally didn't have a good name.

3pm
03-02-2014, 07:55 AM
Beats probably knew the game was over. Roared on by the 8000 massive, I am sure the big team closed it out.

Twa Cairpets
03-02-2014, 08:15 AM
For those who think Meekings foul was worthy of a red card, could you tell what offence, in the laws of the game, he committed? I'm buggered if I can see it anywhere.

BarneyK
03-02-2014, 11:18 AM
For those who think Meekings foul was worthy of a red card, could you tell what offence, in the laws of the game, he committed? I'm buggered if I can see it anywhere.

Is there not a subsection just introduced where if you're playing against a team of school-kids the referee has to send a player off on health and safety grounds? I'm sure it was Keith Jacks-hun who lobbied for it, a safeguard against kids being "brutalised" :dunno: