PDA

View Full Version : Neil Lennon Hounded out of Pink Bus Shelter by Dons Fans

LaMotta
01-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Neil Lennon forced to leave Tynecastle early today after Dons fans threw missiles at him :hmmm:

Link (http://www.liveedinburghnews.org/2014/02/01/neil-lennon-forced-to-leave-tynecastle-after-being-hit-by-missiles/)

Broken Gnome
01-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Worst witness comment ever.

HFC07
01-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Shocking, spitting on the guy :tsk tsk:

Onion
01-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Neil Lennon forced to leave Tynecastle early today after Dons fans threw missiles at him :hmmm:

Link (http://www.liveedinburghnews.org/2014/02/01/neil-lennon-forced-to-leave-tynecastle-after-being-hit-by-missiles/)

Oh dear how sad.

LaMotta
01-02-2014, 06:03 PM
You'd think the sheep would be happy today as well :greengrin

marinello59
01-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Anybody, no matter who they are, should be able to sit safely in a football ground without some gutless ****bags throwing missiles at them.

Hibernia Na Eir
01-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Is Derek McInnes any better a person?

hmmm

SaulGoodman
01-02-2014, 06:13 PM
One witness said "it's disgusting.. I was at the game for the duration and didn't even know he was there"

Umm. Worst witness ever award? :hilarious

Shrekko
01-02-2014, 06:15 PM

hmmm
Was he attacked like?

If not, - what exactly is your point?

3pm
01-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Poor.

IFONLY
01-02-2014, 06:16 PM

hmmm

What exactly does that mean?

Ronniekirk
01-02-2014, 06:16 PM
You'd think the sheep would be happy today as well :greengrin

They can be an arrogant support when they are doing well and this sort of behaviour doesn't surprise me .:tsk tsk::embarrass:grr:

Gettin' Auld
01-02-2014, 06:21 PM
I blame the yams.......Give the ****ers a massive fine and put them out of their misery. :cb

LaMotta
01-02-2014, 06:24 PM
They can be an arrogant support when they are doing well and this sort of behaviour doesn't surprise me .:tsk tsk::embarrass:grr:

Lot of bevvy consumed on the trains and buses down nae doubt

green glory
01-02-2014, 06:24 PM

Unrelated question. What's with the scaffolding at the bottom of the Roseburn stand?

LaMotta
01-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Dunno but is that no Billyam Broon the bawbag beside him?

Sir David Gray
01-02-2014, 06:33 PM

Unrelated question. What's with the scaffolding at the bottom of the Roseburn stand?

I think the bottom couple of rows of seats have been removed from that bottom corner of the stand.

silverhibee
01-02-2014, 06:42 PM

Pretty sure that is the floodlight.

Disgusting behaviour towards Neil Lennon from the dons fans.

green glory
01-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Pretty sure that is the floodlight. Disgusting behaviour towards Neil Lennon from the dons fans.

Not the floodlight, to the left of it. The seats normally reach down further but the seem to have been removed with scaffolding installed as a barrier to prevent people falling forward.

Maybe it's just falling apart lol.

weonlywon6-2
01-02-2014, 07:00 PM
an absolute disgrace by the aberdeen fans

inglisavhibs
01-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Anybody, no matter who they are, should be able to sit safely in a football ground without some gutless ****bags throwing missiles at them.
No excuse for that type of behaviour, idiots and cowards.

ehf
01-02-2014, 07:06 PM
No excuse for that type of behaviour, idiots and cowards.

Remember Lennon is a major drama queen....

HibeeHendo
01-02-2014, 07:08 PM
In no way is this acceptable but if he wasn't such an arrogant, smarmy ********, this wouldn't have happened.

flash
01-02-2014, 07:09 PM

Really? Like when he was sent bullets in the post or attacked by the Hertz fan? He has had all sorts of threats from Northern Ireland to contend with too.

Aldo
01-02-2014, 07:14 PM

So you think it's ok to spit at him, throw stuff at him and shout abuse at him because he's a drama queen -really??

In no way is this acceptable but if he wasn't such an arrogant, smarmy ********, this wouldn't have happened.

Regardless of who he is it's unacceptable behaviour.

Inexcusable comments imho

erin go bragh
01-02-2014, 07:22 PM
**** , just copying the **** thats there every 2nd week .

Ggtth

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Disgusting.

erin go bragh
01-02-2014, 07:30 PM
**** , just copying the **** thats there every 2nd week .

Ggtth

Why is a non swear word being hidden ?
Bit ott imo !

Ggtth

LeithBoozy
01-02-2014, 07:31 PM
So you think it's ok to spit at him, throw stuff at him and shout abuse at him because he's a drama queen -really??

Regardless of who he is it's unacceptable behaviour.

Inexcusable comments imho

The sheep have previous, spitting on their own manager McGee not long back, when they were pash.

trev the hat
01-02-2014, 07:31 PM
IF this actually happened it's truly disgusting, the report is far from conclusive & you would have to question the stewarding / police for not taking action at the time if these allegations are substantiated. For the sake of Aberdeen football club I genuinely hope this is untrue.

MSK
01-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Why is a non swear word being hidden ?
Bit ott imo !

GgtthReport it to Admins then instead of bubbling like a drama Queen ..

givescotlandfreedom
01-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Lennon's a midden but if spät on that's truly out of order and disgusting.

hibees 7062
01-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Not the first time hes been spat on at tiny is it rudi ?

NAE NOOKIE
01-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Lennon is an annoying wee scrote as a manager and was the same when a player. But that does not excuse what happened if true, throwing stuff at him is bad enough but spitting on anybody is minging ....... I remember them doing that to their own manager.

Disgusting !!!

Gettin' Auld
01-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Not the floodlight, to the left of it. The seats normally reach down further but the seem to have been removed with scaffolding installed as a barrier to prevent people falling forward.

Maybe it's just falling apart lol.

I noticed the same thing a few months ago.........Got told by a puddle drinker that they do that at some games to give the people in the under stand suite (or what the yam's regard as a suite) a view of the pitch. That was the stand at the other end of the pitch though, plus what i got told could also be a load of Barry White. :greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Another reason why I hate Aberdeen and their ****my fans!

Eyrie
01-02-2014, 08:08 PM
I don't like the Ginger Whinger but it's still unacceptable for him to be on the receiving end of such behaviour.

Rocky
01-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Seems to be some doubt about this story so thought I'd take a look at the AFC Chat forum for a view.

Two things jump out - first, the Fyfe Moir advert taking the p*** out of Sevco and second the fact that they have a thread called Let's All Laugh At Hearts dating back to 2006.

Never had much time for Aberdeen but that bodes quite well...

green day
01-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Unsure why everyone is getting all her up about something that's pure speculation.

Some seem a bit quick to accept Chick Young's 2nd hand story from NEIL LENNONS AGENT as fact.

Presume if this happened it was captured on camera, police involvement etc???

The Harp
01-02-2014, 08:21 PM
If this accusation is accurate, can just imagine the reception the Aberdeen fans will get next Sat for the cup tie at Parkhead?!?:eek:

erin go bragh
01-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Report it to Admins then instead of bubbling like a drama Queen ..

Ill drama queen yi ! How did you ken i was bubbling ? :)
Dont know the script for reporting such" you cannie park there nonsense "

Ggtth

ronaldo7
01-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Been reading the Dons fans web and Kerrydale st.

It seems that Lennon has been pelted by missiles(don't know what), but surely a manager can go to a match these days without all this crap they have to deal with.

Dons fans really have lowered themselves here.

jacomo
01-02-2014, 08:49 PM
The sheep have previous, spitting on their own manager McGee not long back, when they were pash.

Yes they did. Again, McGhee seems a hard character to like but utterly inexcusable behaviour regardless.

Golden Bear
01-02-2014, 08:54 PM
It's the same old story - a few fans act like total idiots and the whole support is labelled accordingly.

steakbake
01-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Really? Like when he was sent bullets in the post or attacked by the Hertz fan? He has had all sorts of threats from Northern Ireland to contend with too.

Agreed. As much of an a'hole he is, the latent tide of anti-Irish sentiment prevalent in Scottish society rears it's ugly head...

GreenLake
01-02-2014, 09:09 PM

It's to break the fall for tumbling yam idiots falling doon the stairs.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2014, 09:16 PM
It's to break the fall for tumbling yam idiots falling doon the stairs.

Nice idea but that's the away end.

Broken Gnome
01-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Is it anti-Irish though?

This is like when it all reared its head before and Celtic fans en masse claimed it was bigotry and racism. Same thing is happening now. If Aberdeen fans are targeting him, much like when Hibs fans have given him pelters, is it not just because he's a bit of a welt?

Mr White
01-02-2014, 09:37 PM
This is like when it all reared its head before and Celtic fans en masse claimed it was bigotry and racism. Same thing is happening now. If Aberdeen fans are targeting him, much like when Hibs fans have given him pelters, is it not just because he's a bit of a welt?
I think so. I reckon the idiots dishing out the abuse today would have done the same if not worse to mcoist or durrant but probably ignored pat bonner or martin O'Neil. Nothing to do with nationality, just personality and behaviour imo. Still either way no one deserves that kind of treatment.

Vault Boy
01-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Disgusting behavior from those responsible. It's dreadful that football is so often used as justification for some, to act like this.

Blocks Biloxi
01-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Is it anti-Irish though?

I don't condone it at all, but I think this a far more accurate representation of their motive than any anti-Irish undercurrent

FranckSuzy
01-02-2014, 09:47 PM
I don't know all the details (having only read the link) but why weren't those responsible reported to the polis? Lock them up :agree: Disgusting behaviour.

weonlywon6-2
01-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Disgusting behavior from those responsible. It's dreadful that football is so often used as justification for some, to act like this.

how very true

bigwheel
01-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Against popular opinion I'm sure but as a manager I have a lot of respect for Lennon. He is one of the only managers to stick up for Scottish football against the media , and he seems to have worked hard to address some of his personal issues - so I'm a fan of him as a manager

It is pathetic of this has happened - managers should be able to watch a game without hassle ....

SunshineOnLeith
01-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Considering the only quote in that article is from a witness who didn't see it, and then used the trademark phrase of the self righteous idiot ('so called'), I'll hold off until deciding on the socially appropriate level of disapproval to display.

theonlywayisup
01-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Agreed. As much of an a'hole he is, the latent tide of anti-Irish sentiment prevalent in Scottish society rears it's ugly head...

Sorry, but bringing anti-Irish into this is totally rubbish. He is being targeted, totally OTT by Dons fans, for being a grade A plum. Nothing to do with where he came from.

Are you telling me that Dons fans hate Rangers fans because they are Irish-protestant, and Celtic because they are Irish-catholic. No, they hate both, just like we hate both.

theonlywayisup
01-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Against popular opinion I'm sure but as a manager I have a lot of respect for Lennon. He is one of the only managers to stick up for Scottish football against the media , and he seems to have worked hard to address some of his personal issues - so I'm a fan of him as a manager

It is pathetic of this has happened - managers should be able to watch a game without hassle ....

Me too. Don't like him as a person, but I think he is a good manager. He needs to get away from Glasgow quick. I actually think he could be a great manager.

hibbytam
01-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Jobs

What a load of broon stuff

You'd struggle to find an individual who has treated Scottish football with more contempt, done more to disrepute the game, than Neil Lennon. He was a prick as a player, and is even worse as a manager. If he was against a team with a vaguely similar budget he would struggle big time, and that is why he isnt trying his hand at the epl. Much easier to beat teams with a fraction of your budget.

I don't know what happened today, but I'd be skeptical of it being anything like what has been suggested.

Stax
01-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Nobody can say if he was targeted for being a tube or anti Irish sentiment was involved. It's pretty sickening though. The shi** he and his family have had to put up with is embarrassing, erse or not.

jeffers
01-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Sorry, but bringing anti-Irish into this is totally rubbish. He is being targeted, totally OTT by Dons fans, for being a grade A plum. Nothing to do with where he came from.

Are you telling me that Dons fans hate Rangers fans because they are Irish-protestant, and Celtic because they are Irish-catholic. No, they hate both, just like we hate both.
Absolutely spot on. I've read before that he's a decent guy but he's does a very good job hiding that. Any other manager in Scotland including Sally could have attended the game today and would have probably been OK. I'm not saying he does deserve it but he comes across as a graceless arrogant pr**k.

oconnors_strip
01-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Where was his bodyguard that goes everywhere with him?

nonshinyfinish
01-02-2014, 10:41 PM
If true, this is pretty indefensible.

Sylar
01-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Seems to be something that happens at the PBS - wasn't Paul Le Guen spat at when he attended a Hearts vs Celtc game a few years ago?

truehibernian
01-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Where was his bodyguard that goes everywhere with him?

The big American fella Nikki ? Not sure he was there today. He likes a scotch pie or three eh :greengrin

EuanH78
01-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Celtc fans on twitter are really getting on my thrupneys playing the anti irish card. Obviously disgusting what's happened to NL but ffs. Agenda pushing fuds.

oconnors_strip
01-02-2014, 11:18 PM
The big American fella Nikki ? Not sure he was there today. He likes a scotch pie or three eh :greengrin

Don't know his nationality, he has only ever grunted at me when I told him to get out my *****ing way! He was blocking the pavement and he forced me to walk on the road.

No doubt billy brown will have something to say about this since he was sitting 3 seats along from Lennon

The Green Goblin
01-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Don't know his nationality, he has only ever grunted at me when I told him to get out my *****ing way! He was blocking the pavement and he forced me to walk on the road.

No doubt billy brown will have something to say about this since he was sitting 3 seats along from Lennon

Something like this won't bother Billy Brown. He's been places and done things.

bigwheel
01-02-2014, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE=hibbytam;3893707]What a load of broon stuff

You'd struggle to find an individual who has treated Scottish football with more contempt, done more to disrepute the game, than Neil Lennon. He was a prick as a player, and is even worse as a manager. If he was against a team with a vaguely similar budget he would struggle big time, and that is why he isnt trying his hand at the epl. Much easier to beat teams with a fraction of your budget.

I don't know what happened today, but I'd be skeptical of it being anything like what has been suggested.

So what exactly has he done to treat Scottish a Football with contempt as a manager - name one thing.

God Petrie
01-02-2014, 11:41 PM
Tynecastle is designed for abhorrent behaviour

God Petrie
01-02-2014, 11:41 PM
such as supporting Heart of Midlothian

monktonharp
01-02-2014, 11:42 PM
One witness said "it's disgusting.. I was at the game for the duration and didn't even know he was there"

Umm. Worst witness ever award? :hilariousaye right then pal. that is absolutely hilarious:rolleyes:

green&left
01-02-2014, 11:50 PM
If this accusation is accurate, can just imagine the reception the Aberdeen fans will get next Sat for the cup tie at Parkhead?!?:eek:

They're taking 3000 down. Celtic will be lucky to have 25000. Sure they'll be OK...

monktonharp
01-02-2014, 11:52 PM
Remember Lennon is a major drama queen....that's pish. you are worse, thinking that it's ok to treat a manager, watching a game as a neutral like that. would you like the same to happen, to big Terry, if he goes to ER tomorrow?

leggeto
01-02-2014, 11:59 PM

that's what he gets for signing griff,does he no have previous for being a target at that slum ;-)

monktonharp
02-02-2014, 12:02 AM
Considering the only quote in that article is from a witness who didn't see it, and then used the trademark phrase of the self righteous idiot ('so called'), I'll hold off until deciding on the socially appropriate level of disapproval to display.:confused:

monktonharp
02-02-2014, 12:02 AM
that's what he gets for signing griff,does he no have previous for being a target at that slum ;-)deary me

Jones28
02-02-2014, 12:03 AM
that's pish. you are worse, thinking that it's ok to treat a manager, watching a game as a neutral like that. would you like the same to happen, to big Terry, if he goes to ER tomorrow?

This.
That's a disgrace. What is it about tynecastle that brings out the worst in people?

trev the hat
02-02-2014, 12:28 AM
http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20140201/aberdeen-fc-statement-_2212158_3649653

FranckSuzy
02-02-2014, 12:34 AM
that's what he gets for signing griff,does he no have previous for being a target at that slum ;-)

No need :rolleyes:

Kiddo
02-02-2014, 12:49 AM
It should never of happened but people abusing sheep fans for doing it must be forgetting there's a good few of our own that would have done the same or worse to him. I myself hate the pr1ck but he doesn't desereve what he's had to put up with

SaulGoodman
02-02-2014, 12:52 AM
aye right then pal. that is absolutely hilarious:rolleyes:

Eh? What's your problem? Maybe re-read the post.

Wasn't condoning what happened to him, just found the 'witness' quote amusing. That okay with you?

fat freddy
02-02-2014, 12:54 AM
I was given a freebie for the St.Johnstone end today and there was madness in the air. Before I even got into the ground I saw an old casual sticking the head on a younger casual...a bit weird as they were in a group together and they then just carried on as normal..inside the ground loads of St.Johnstone fans were falling about the place and arguing with stewards and police...a few minutes after the opening goal a seat was thrown into the goal mouth despite the goalie being their own and behind the net their were bits and bobs of other seats lying about...in the second half when Aberdeen scored their third, Jamie Langfield was pelted with chips and coins and after the fourth a Saints fan tried to get on the pitch to get at him...he was lifted...just before the end two daft laddies from the saints end invaded the pitch and ran over to the dugouts before slipping on the soggy grass and being lifted...on top of that an old guy sitting directly in front of me had a minor heart attack and was treated by medics before being led away..that is my summary of the saints fans.

Aberdeen fans? They packed out all three ends that they were allocated and they created a cracking atmosphere...the most boistrous seemed to be seated in the bottom part of the wheatfield stand closest to the saints end and these guys were brilliant to watch...a few were wearing onesies, a few were topless and moobed up, many seemed to be dressed in stone island gear with bald heads and bus passes, one or two of them even appeared to be sober but that might have been the rain obscuring my vision, all of them seemed to be drawn to the pitch whenever they scored. At one of the goals a load of them jumped the wall and were pushed back by the stewards, one of them had a screaming match with a steward and i swear the steward punched him in the face, the guy fought back with some of his mates getting in the way when it was clear he was about to be lifted..he managed to elude the stewards and police and escaped up into the back of the stand only to reappear five minutes from the end with his hood up to hide his face. From what i could make out St.Johnstone beat Aberdeen 3-1 on arrests within the stadium but i think the Dons might have added to their score outside the stadium as everyone of them appeared to be steaming.

After the match I met a good crowd of Dons fans in the pub and we shared memories of Eddie Turnbull and various matches between our two clubs. I was impressed with their knowledge of their club and ours and they all seemed to have a soft spot for Hibs and an unrestrained contempt of Hearts, Celtic and The Rangers. While we were blethering another Dons fan appeared and told the company about the Lennon incident and all were unanimous that it was out of order and probably perpetrated by the sort of day trippers that all teams take to semi's and finals...All in it was a great spectacle and i have no fears of Hearts winning the final if they get there...Aberdeen were clinical and their attacking players were pretty impressive, arguably the best Aberdeen side in the last decade. They will destroy whoever they get in the final.

leggeto
02-02-2014, 01:07 AM
Sounds like it was mad maybe us hibs mad radges are no bad after all or is that just me

Nakedmanoncrack
02-02-2014, 03:23 AM
Celtc fans on twitter are really getting on my thrupneys playing the anti irish card. Obviously disgusting what's happened to NL but ffs. Agenda pushing fuds.

So I see, loving the opportunity to play the victim card.
Strangely I don't recall previous Irish Catholic Celtic managers (Liam Brady, Martin O'Neil) coming in for similar treatment.

SkintHibby
02-02-2014, 08:22 AM
I'll bet it was one drunken tube throwing a coin or a piece of saliva (although it is one drunk too many).

Typical over-reaction from the Weegie dominated media.

Even George Galloway has waded in to the fray lol.:rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
02-02-2014, 10:19 AM

Grow up.

Greendreamer
02-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Strangely I don't recall previous Irish Catholic Celtic managers (Liam Brady, Martin O'Neil) coming in for similar treatment.

I was in a twitter convo last night when it was joined by a selic supporter who tried the ' anti irish /sectarian' theme , I ended up blocking him as I suspected he was trying to get me to tweet something for him to jump on and possibly report as sectarian abuse....muppet

StevieC
02-02-2014, 10:33 AM

Aberdeen anti-Irish? I get the impression they hate Rangers more than they hate Celtic so not sure I can agree. I think it's more down to the highlighted part, that you state yourself, than anything more sinister.

steakbake
02-02-2014, 10:33 AM

O'Neil could be a roaster in his post match interviews.

The animosity towards Lennon takes it's roots from Rangers fans singling him out for treatment for being a Northern Ireland internationalist and this animosity has caught on. Yes, O Neil was as well but at the time
the whole animosity came up with Lennon, that was history.

McGeady gets the same kind of disapproval for choosing Ireland over Scotland. If he'd chosen to play for any other country, I'm sure people would be over it by now.

Of course Lennon can be a bell end but show me a manager who isn't prone to being like that. Even, dare I say it, some of our own managers.

Smartie
02-02-2014, 10:34 AM

No, the dignified Brady and O'Neill didn't come in for any such abuse (apart from probably at Ibrox although I wouldn't know).

Lennon is a complete erse and doesn't half bring a lot of it on himself but the amount of abuse he gets is totally out out of order - a man should surely be allowed to watch a game of football in peace, give or take a bit of friendly ribbing.

I can't wait until he leaves Scottish football because his continued presence seems to attract this type of nonsense and it makes us all look bad.

Broken Gnome
02-02-2014, 10:48 AM
O'Neil could be a roaster in his post match interviews.

The animosity towards Lennon takes it's roots from Rangers fans singling him out for treatment for being a Northern Ireland internationalist and this animosity has caught on. Yes, O Neil was as well but at the time
the whole animosity came up with Lennon, that was history.

McGeady gets the same kind of disapproval for choosing Ireland over Scotland. If he'd chosen to play for any other country, I'm sure people would be over it by now.

Of course Lennon can be a bell end but show me a manager who isn't prone to being like that. Even, dare I say it, some of our own managers.

I can remember countless times at Easter Road we've had renditions of songs referring to him as a banker. Dare say none of us were particularly influenced by Rangers fans.

Of course he's wrongly targetted for his religion and nationality. Doesn't rule out the wider abuse he wrongly takes for his personality. The oft-used 'brings it on himself' line wouldn't be wheeled out so often if it was solely down to anti-Irishness.

Col2
02-02-2014, 11:03 AM
I was in holiday in Portugal in October with my family and by chance we stayed in the same hotel he and his family were staying (it was the international October weekend break). By total coincidence we were sitting near each other by the main hotel pool and my daughter and Neil's son played with each other for a few days. His was very sociable, friendly and generous.

I honestly could not have seen a more friendly, welcoming, pleasant person. He and his wife were very relaxed and didn't once get fed up with the on average hourly person coming up for a photo with him.

Totally changed my views on him. Yes one week later he was in touchline ironically at easter road for 1-1 draw and giving it and taking it on the pitch. However where this hate, especially outside of Sevco fans, comes from i just dont understand.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Report it to Admins then instead of bubbling like a drama Queen ..

Grumpy Hibbie indeed!

MSK
02-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Ill drama queen yi ! How did you ken i was bubbling ? :)
Dont know the script for reporting such" you cannie park there nonsense "

GgtthThe wee triangle thingy on the bottom bar .."report post"....fire in yer report & it might get discussed at some point ..:greengrin

Jones28
02-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Anyone else think a GIF with Lennon being chased by a flock of angry sheep would be appropriate?

SteveHFC, where are ye?!

s.a.m
02-02-2014, 11:40 AM
I was in holiday in Portugal in October with my family and by chance we stayed in the same hotel he and his family were staying (it was the international October weekend break). By total coincidence we were sitting near each other by the main hotel pool and my daughter and Neil's son played with each other for a few days. His was very sociable, friendly and generous.

I honestly could not have seen a more friendly, welcoming, pleasant person. He and his wife were very relaxed and didn't once get fed up with the on average hourly person coming up for a photo with him.

Totally changed my views on him. Yes one week later he was in touchline ironically at easter road for 1-1 draw and giving it and taking it on the pitch. However where this hate, especially outside of Sevco fans, comes from i just dont understand.

I've read this about him many times; away from football he appears to be a genuinely pleasant and intelligent guy. However, most of us have not met him, or seen that side of him, and we can only judge him on what we do see. He was a sneaky, nasty, whiny player, and he's brought all of that to his public persona as a manager. Obviously none of this excuses the kind of behaviour that he's regularly been subject to, but he's an easy man tae no like, for those of us who haven't met him.

cwilliamson85
02-02-2014, 11:49 AM
I've read this about him many times; away from football he appears to be a genuinely pleasant and intelligent guy. However, most of us have not met him, or seen that side of him, and we can only judge him on what we do see. He was a sneaky, nasty, whiny player, and he's brought all of that to his public persona as a manager. Obviously none of this excuses the kind of behaviour that he's regularly been subject to, but he's an easy man tae no like, for those of us who haven't met him.

I see him a lot in the west end of Glasgow (he enjoys a roast dinner in The Drake on woodlands road) as he takes his son out a lot and he seems to be a nice guy. Always says hi to folk and also has banter with both sets of fans (rangers / Celtic).

Phil D. Rolls
02-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Well, yeah, if you focus on one aspect of his life and don't take the time to balance it up with what he does away from football.

s.a.m
02-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Well, yeah, if you focus on one aspect of his life and don't take the time to balance it up with what he does away from football.

I do, and I think - on balance - that he's a nice guy who, under pressure, cannot cope and turns nasty and sneering. Col2 was asking why people hate him when he's actually a good bloke, and I think it's probably because that the majority of people have no experience of any other aspect of his life with which to balance their opinion.

heretoday
02-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Lennon must have considerable inner strength to put up with it all. It's shameful the way he gets treated in Scotland. Flipping inbreds.

WestEndHibee
02-02-2014, 01:16 PM

:agree: I'd agree with this. Met him at a conference and I actually couldn't believe how unarrogant he was. I was introduced to him and immediately he asked what brought me to the conference, what I was studying etc.

My opinion of him completely changed from then. He can be a wee goat and infuriating on the sideline but should be free from anything more than jokey abuse while watching a game.

hibbytam
02-02-2014, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=hibbytam;3893707]What a load of broon stuff

So what exactly has he done to treat Scottish a Football with contempt as a manager - name one thing.
Almost single-handedly causing the referees to go on strike?

bigwheel
02-02-2014, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=bigwheel;3893743]

Yes that'll be it....utter made up nonsense.

Russ
02-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Since when did Rangers fans become Irish-protestant? Anyway there's only one team in Scotland I hate and that's the plastic paddys.

Phil D. Rolls
02-02-2014, 07:17 PM
:agree: I'd agree with this. Met him at a conference and I actually couldn't believe how unarrogant he was. I was introduced to him and immediately he asked what brought me to the conference, what I was studying etc.

My opinion of him completely changed from then. He can be a wee goat and infuriating on the sideline but should be free from anything more than jokey abuse while watching a game.

I think going public, telling people about living with depression, showed a lot of humility. For me, it gave the impression he is a much deeper person than people give him credit for.

Betty Boop
02-02-2014, 07:20 PM
I think going public, telling people about living with depression, showed a lot of humility. For me, it gave the impression he is a much deeper person than people give him credit for.

Totally agree. You'd think he'd murdered somebody.

ekhibee
02-02-2014, 08:02 PM
What a load of broon stuff

Sorry, but virtually everything you just said is complete bollox. How do you ken if he'd be a good manager of another club in the SPFL? I've never ever liked Celtic, but I totally disagree with the abuse that's heaped on Lennon. I watched an interview with him a couple of years ago on the subject of depression, something I, and other members of my family have suffered from over the years. He was very frank and honest about it, and how he deals with it every day. He's had stuff thrown at him regularly, not to mention the garbage that's been sent through the post to him. Listen to his interview about the incident at Tynecastle on the BBC Scotland website. He certainly didn't blame Aberdeen for it, more people who'd had a bit too much to drink, and he wouldn't even have mentioned it if Chick Dung had'nt brought it up. I emphasize, I've never ever liked Celtic and never will, but the only 'broon stuff' is coming from you.

Sanger
02-02-2014, 08:44 PM
I see him a lot in the west end of Glasgow (he enjoys a roast dinner in The Drake on woodlands road) as he takes his son out a lot and he seems to be a nice guy. Always says hi to folk and also has banter with both sets of fans (rangers / Celtic).

Yes be also did a radio programme on depression which he suffers from in which he was very thoughtful and compassionate.

flash
02-02-2014, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=bigwheel;3893743]

Aye for having the cheek to expose the cover up between Dougie McDonald and his linesman.

flash
03-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Classy response by Lennon too.

Col2
03-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Some on this thread feel we have the right to judge him or anyone else because of what we see in public. We dont have the right to judge him full stop.

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Some on this thread feel we have the right to judge him or anyone else because of what we see in public. We dont have the right to judge him full stop.

Not entirely true, we judge every player/manager/chairman from what we see and hear. Thats football today in 2014, ans nothing will change that.

Of course he should be able to go and watch a football match without ANY problems.

He acts like a shaved chimp during the 90 minutes of a game, and some of the things he says to the camera WILL help form some peoples opinion of him.

He's in the public eye, and people will have opinions on him because of what he says and does.

greenlex
03-02-2014, 10:26 AM
He was a bawbag on tne pitch and he is a bawbag in the dugout. He might be a really nice bloke away from football but football is his public audience. It is little surprise the abuse he gets. Compare him to Terry Butcher. I reckon Butcher could sit among any fans including Celtic fans but Neil Lennon cant. He does bring it on himself.

Hibbyradge
03-02-2014, 10:29 AM
He was a bawbag on tne pitch and he is a bawbag in the dugout. He might be a really nice bloke away from football but football is his public audience. It is little surprise the abuse he gets. Compare him to Terry Butcher. I reckon Butcher could sit among any fans including Celtic fans but Neil Lennon cant. He does bring it on himself.

That's a fair point, Alex, but it doesn't fully explain things, imo.

Butcher wasn't stopped playing for, and captaining , his country because of his religion.

Butcher hasn't had death threats, bombs and bullets sent to him.

Chicken and egg?

It's because he's a cathoilic that those things happened so no wonder he's bitter.

The Sea-gull
03-02-2014, 10:45 AM
I have heard that Lennon is a good guy off the park. In fact, a couple of the radio guys who know him well have said on air that significantly less people would dislike him if he showed his "off the park" persona more often in the media and even Lennon himself acknowledges this but gets a wee bit too carried away at times and can't help himself.

We all get carried away at times, I can forgive anyone this but one thing I never seem to hear Lennon do is apologise for his behaviour or for one of his arrogant rants or rumblings.

He brings a lot of the bad feeling towards him on himself and as others have said we can only judge him based on how he behaves by the pitch or in media interviews but no man deserves the treatment he allegedly received on Saturday.

greenlex
03-02-2014, 11:22 AM

Butcher wasn't stopped playing for, and captaining , his country because of his religion.

Chicken and egg?

It's because he's a cathoilic that those things happened so no wonder he's bitter.He said yesterday that it wasn't sectarian abuse he was getting on Saturday. I'm not sure what all the sectarian stuff has to do with him being a bawbag in public is either. Nothing to do with chickens or eggs. Everything to do with him setting himself up for the abuse .

flash
03-02-2014, 11:41 AM
He said yesterday that it wasn't sectarian abuse he was getting on Saturday. I'm not sure what all the sectarian stuff has to do with him being a bawbag in public is either. Nothing to do with chickens or eggs. Everything to do with him setting himself up for the abuse .

Aye how dare an SPL manager turn up at a game involving his next opponents then proceed to sit in his seat and watch the match.
He is lucky he wasn't hung from the floodlights for such a provocative act.

greenlex
03-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Aye how dare an SPL manager turn up at a game involving his next opponents then proceed to sit in his seat and watch the match.
He is lucky he wasn't hung from the floodlights for such a provocative act.I think your sarcasm is aimed at the wrong person here Flash. I agree its disgraceful that someone cannot go about their business without this happening. The fact remains though that he doesn't help himself. He said himself it wasn't sectarian so I think its fair to say its because of his actions reactions in public that are football related. I also think its fair to say any other manager on the planet could go about his business without a level of abuse that would make them leave. He really doesn't help himself.

flash
03-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Sorry but I disagree. There have been far more annoying managers through the years who haven't suffered like he has.

03-02-2014, 12:18 PM
I can't stand Lennon, he's an arrogant, big mouthed wee naff, has been ever since his playing days but the abuse he gets is awful and completely out of order. No need in it what so ever and the ********s who obviously thought they were big hard men deserve to be banned from football for life as they obviously aren't mature enough to behave in a half dignified manner. I'm all for giving players/managers a bit Hu stick and having a bit of banter, thats kind of part n parcel of football but theres a line and too often some football fans can't work out where that line is.

The guy was doing nothing wrong, he wasn't causing bother or winding the aberdeen fans up or anything, so like I say just stupid thugs tryna make a name for themselves as a hard man. Pathetic behaviour.

Phil D. Rolls
03-02-2014, 04:17 PM
I think your sarcasm is aimed at the wrong person here Flash. I agree its disgraceful that someone cannot go about their business without this happening. The fact remains though that he doesn't help himself. He said himself it wasn't sectarian so I think its fair to say its because of his actions reactions in public that are football related. I also think its fair to say any other manager on the planet could go about his business without a level of abuse that would make them leave. He really doesn't help himself.

I think it's fairer to say the people who abused him were cowards. No need for behaviour like that, especially when you know the other guy can't fight back.

Lennon was the victim of unacceptable behaviour, saying he brought it on himself is missing the point.

JimBHibees
03-02-2014, 04:44 PM

Chicken and egg?

It's because he's a cathoilic that those things happened so no wonder he's bitter.

Neither was Lennon who subsequently chose not to play for NI.

JeMeSouviens
03-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Neither was Lennon who subsequently chose not to play for NI.

To be fair, that was after he received death threats from their fans!

greenlex
03-02-2014, 08:13 PM
I think it's fairer to say the people who abused him were cowards. No need for behaviour like that, especially when you know the other guy can't fight back.

Lennon was the victim of unacceptable behaviour, saying he brought it on himself is missing the point.
No I've got that point and agree It depends what point you're trying to make. Mine is he doesn't help himself.

lEXO
03-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Anyone who chucks coins or spits on ANYBODY is a ****bag. There hasn't half been some idiotic posts on this thread regarding Lennon, like his previous behaviour as a player or manager somehow makes it ok or possibly his fault. Garbage, some pissed up fitba fans think they can do what they want at games. I hate these type of pr\cks and we have a fair few on our big days out. When did spitting and coin chucking become acceptable? I must have missed it, thank frock...........................