PDA

View Full Version : Why do people think it would change?

Bertie's XI
29-01-2014, 02:00 AM
Since TB has taken over I have been more than pleased with the way he has went about the job. He has instilled a positive mindset that you could not say about the previous manager PF. The results haven't always been the best but you would be mad to think that TB wasn't the right man for Hibs and will greatly improve us as a team in the long term.
However, people fell in to the trap that the psyche of the Hibs board would change overnight due to a new manager and back room staff. The task of getting players in will remain as difficult as it was for previous managers due to this. Saying that I think unlike other managers TB will not panic buy anyone just to please the fans for 2 seconds. This has always been the down fall of previous managers to get someone in for the sake of it. In the long run this has meant a huge turnover of players that has hindered our progress. For once I would like to see us compete over a few seasons with roughly a similar squad. This only happens if you recruit the correct type of players. I have cautious optimism that this will be achieved by TB.
Hopefully, we can get player(s) in this transfer window but getting the right ones remains key as bad signing can set you back just as much as signing no one would.
Saying that I would not pretend to be a little disappointed if we failed to recruit at all in January. However I have confidence that TB will have the persuasion and know how to get someone in by the end of the window.
Keep the faith with Terry Butcher!
GGTTH

Weststandwanab
29-01-2014, 07:27 AM
A good post which I agree with.

Pete
29-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Is this a dig at Petrie?

:confused:

matty_f
29-01-2014, 07:52 AM
I actually think that it might be because we are going after good players that we are finding it difficult. If you look at Butcher's signings at ICT, he was able to pick up unknowns and players who were out of favour at their clubs.
I think one of the reasons Butcher came to us is that he can afford a better standard of player.
From what I gather, our targets so far have been keen to come to us but their clubs have not wanted to let them go (presumably because they value them and want to keep them).
I don't doubt we will see players come in, we are certainly not the only club that is being frustrated in this window, countless managers have made the point that January is notoriously difficult to get the right standard of player in.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2014, 08:49 AM
However, people fell in to the trap that the psyche of the Hibs board would change overnight due to a new manager and back room staff. The task of getting players in will remain as difficult as it was for previous managers due to this.

Did someone sneak these sentences in to your post? :confused:

Tom Hart RIP
29-01-2014, 09:51 AM
The two players that he has admitted trying to bring in were Murphy and Rooney who are both good players.

greenlex
29-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Do we know in what period of previous transfer windows that ITC made signings? I know we have signed players early in some.

Thecat23
29-01-2014, 09:59 AM
What it comes down to is the board have blown thousands on poor managers over the past few years and that's ripped a hole in our player budget. Also previous managers have signed dross that we're stuck with.

I actually feel sorry for TB the standard of players he's trying to get are good. The summer is where hibs will rebuild and then we'll see a whole new Hibs team pretty much.

Groathillgrump
29-01-2014, 10:03 AM
However, people fell in to the trap that the psyche of the Hibs board would change overnight due to a new manager and back room staff. The task of getting players in will remain as difficult as it was for previous managers due to this.

Nobody can say that getting players in has been difficult over the last few years as there's been a huge turnover of players. Unfortunately, with a few exceptions, the quality of the players brought in has been poor. I'd rather we took our time and got in players who will improve the side rather than the last day of the transfer window panic buys we've seen previously.

Thecat23
29-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Nobody can say that getting players in has been difficult over the last few years as there's been a huge turnover of players. Unfortunately, with a few exceptions, the quality of the players brought in has been poor. I'd rather we took our time and got in players who will improve the side rather than the last day of the transfer window panic buys we've seen previously.

How do you know this window won't be any different? TB may well dive in for a couple loans that aren't his first choice and that's a panic signing if you ask me.

Not saying it will happen. I'd much rather come summer TB knows his targets and gets them all done and dusted quickly so they have a full pre season.

Groathillgrump
29-01-2014, 10:35 AM
How do you know this window won't be any different? TB may well dive in for a couple loans that aren't his first choice and that's a panic signing if you ask me.

Not saying it will happen. I'd much rather come summer TB knows his targets and gets them all done and dusted quickly so they have a full pre season.

I wasn't meaning loans Mr Cat as loaned players can be sent back if they turn out to be mince. It's the guys who are panic bought and given permanent deals that are my concern.

I totally agree with you that it would be preferable to wait until the summer. However, if we don't sign someone (anyone!) this window, some people on here will go into meltdown! :greengrin

Thecat23
29-01-2014, 10:37 AM
I wasn't meaning loans Mr Cat as loaned players can be sent back if they turn out to be mince. It's the guys who are panic bought and given permanent deals that are my concern.

I totally agree with you that it would be preferable to wait until the summer. However, if we don't sign someone (anyone!) this window, some people on here will go into meltdown! :greengrin

Ah right, sorry my bad. Yeah if he doesn't sign anyone this window there will be a few folk going mental. I'll be very disappointed myself after seeing the likes of Ross County etc.. Adding. I think Tade will arrive though.

Vini1875
29-01-2014, 12:03 PM
On the signing of players I think the club also have to look at the most likely outcome for the season. For instance do we think we can win the Scottish cup with this squad and three additions? I would say three new players would have to be spectacular for that to happen. Can we get into the top six with this squad? Yes we can but it will be difficult. So three new players to get us into the top six, meaning our last five games would be a struggle and we'd miss a derby.

Alternatively we could keep our powder dry, promote some of the young guys, try to get into the top six and do a proper rebuild in the summer. I think they are only looking for loan deals and TB will use the second half of the season to assess who does not fit into his plans, while seeing how the young guys do.

nribs
29-01-2014, 12:06 PM

Not saying it will happen. I'd much rather come summer TB knows his targets and gets them all done and dusted quickly so they have a full pre season. What if TB can;t get his targets in the summer? Player improves between now and summer so stays at club or moves on to bigger club than us? should we panic now or in the summer :confused::cb

heretoday
29-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Hibs will, hopefully, avoid the relegation scrap and bumble along to the end of the season as per usual.

Then god willing TB and his super scout can add quality to the pool which has some poor players in it.

Forget the cup. We'll probably lose to Raith Rovers.

Bertie's XI
29-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Let's hope the new players get given time to show what they can do and don't get judged on what they have done in the past.

ancient hibee
29-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Obviously

Williams,Nelson,Robertson,Craig,Taiwo,Vine,Thomson ,Robertson,Collins,Heffernan,Stokes,Riordan,McGive rn

were sneaked in without the Board noticing.

I think Petrie should be told.

Bobby's Cinema
29-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Since TB has taken over I have been more than pleased with the way he has went about the job. He has instilled a positive mindset that you could not say about the previous manager PF. The results haven't always been the best but you would be mad to think that TB wasn't the right man for Hibs and will greatly improve us as a team in the long term.
However, people fell in to the trap that the psyche of the Hibs board would change overnight due to a new manager and back room staff. The task of getting players in will remain as difficult as it was for previous managers due to this. Saying that I think unlike other managers TB will not panic buy anyone just to please the fans for 2 seconds. This has always been the down fall of previous managers to get someone in for the sake of it. In the long run this has meant a huge turnover of players that has hindered our progress. For once I would like to see us compete over a few seasons with roughly a similar squad. This only happens if you recruit the correct type of players. I have cautious optimism that this will be achieved by TB.
Hopefully, we can get player(s) in this transfer window but getting the right ones remains key as bad signing can set you back just as much as signing no one would.
Saying that I would not pretend to be a little disappointed if we failed to recruit at all in January. However I have confidence that TB will have the persuasion and know how to get someone in by the end of the window.
Keep the faith with Terry Butcher!
GGTTH
Agree with that entirely. It's what teams like Motherwell & Dundee Utd have been built on the last few years. Difficult to do much about this in January though as Terry has said.

Jones28
29-01-2014, 08:21 PM
When will it get through that we have NO MONEY until the summer and season ticket sales come through?

Just because we haven't signed any players does not mean things haven't changed. We signed Collins for a fee, and the last 2 or 3 managers have been backed substantially. Maybe not with millions but all you need to do is take a wee look across to see where spending out with your means gets you.

Murphy was a pipe dream and butcher felt Rooney was too much of a chance to take at this stage.

ahibby
30-01-2014, 10:12 AM
What it comes down to is the board have blown thousands on poor managers over the past few years and that's ripped a hole in our player budget. Also previous managers have signed dross that we're stuck with.

I actually feel sorry for TB the standard of players he's trying to get are good. The summer is where hibs will rebuild and then we'll see a whole new Hibs team pretty much.

:agree:

It's not so much that the board needs to change because they supported PF as much as they could. Providing they do the same for TB, I am sure we will improve. I'm not bothered about this season, we all know that it is a transition season. That's reinforced by TB dropping what he thinks is deadwood and replacing them with the young players we have seen coming in. Obviously having a good look to see how those youngsters cope at that level, with a view to using them as and when next season. If the OP is referring to this window, then yes it is frustrating for us but we are not in the same position as St Mirren, Ross County, Partick and Kilmarnock. They need a short term fix to try and steer clear of the play off spot. We have a cushion that they don't and so we are looking more long term than them and having played Celtic and St Mirren you'd ask yourself where is the urgency. I'd hope that TB is able to do what he did at ICT and make sure he has all his squad together by the time pre season gets underway as that is one area that has frustrated me with Hibs in the past. We seemed to still be looking to bring in players after the season has started meaning they haven't had a pre season with their team mates, if any kind of pre season at all. That's more of a concern for me than this window.

ahibby
30-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Hibs will, hopefully, avoid the relegation scrap and bumble along to the end of the season as per usual.

Then god willing TB and his super scout can add quality to the pool which has some poor players in it.

Forget the cup. We'll probably lose to Raith Rovers.

You're having a larf.

Mikey09
30-01-2014, 12:37 PM

Spot on cat ma friend. It's so much easier to bring in average players other clubs are happy to put out on loan etc. terry is obviously after a better quality of player and it's proving difficult for numerous reasons. If he brings in 1 or 2 loans this window then great...... But it's the summer when we will see terry and his staff start to really shape there team.

--------
30-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Spot on cat ma friend. It's so much easier to bring in average players other clubs are happy to put out on loan etc. terry is obviously after a better quality of player and it's proving difficult for numerous reasons. If he brings in 1 or 2 loans this window then great...... But it's the summer when we will see terry and his staff start to really shape there team.

Exactly. :agree:

ancient hibee
30-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Agree with that entirely. It's what teams like Motherwell & Dundee Utd have been built on the last few years. Difficult to do much about this in January though as Terry has said.

In fact both the teams you mention change season by season-particularly Motherwell.