PDA

View Full Version : Petrie

jimmyboco1875
28-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Looking at other spl teams, a lot have signed decent players that I would take in a minute to Easter road, are we really that skint or is Petrie just keeping us safe

nribs
28-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Looking at other spl teams, a lot have signed decent players that I would take in a minute to Easter road, are we really that skint or is Petrie just keeping us safewhy is allways RP's fault?

jimmyboco1875
28-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Who else decides if we sign players like?

jakeshibs
28-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Looking at other spl teams, a lot have signed decent players that I would take in a minute to Easter road, are we really that skint or is Petrie just keeping us safe

come on really? did Petrie not get us the management team we wanted and indeed has made money available for all the managers prior to TB, stop the RP bashing. TB has already stated he wont just get anyone in, unless he will improve the team....

nribs
28-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Sorry I didn't realise that TB had identified targets that RP decided against signing. Must have missed that bit.

CropleyWasGod
28-01-2014, 06:08 PM

Or Option 3... has TB not seen anyone that he actually wants to sign?

Stantons Angel
28-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Rod Petrie has supported every manager we have had over the last few years. He has made sure there was money available to each manager to buy and hopefully strengthen our team.

Each selection of players bought by new managers has been cleared out by the incoming manager. Im sure if Terry had wanted players in he would have supported him too.

Terry has confirmed he has tried to get a couple of players in by the end of last week but it wasnt to be. So i hardly think it is Petrie's fault that we have no one signed on yet.

We all know that he is careful and wont throw money at other teams just to get the player. The manager will know what he has to spend and how much Petrie will support him by.

I would nt go blaming anyone if we dont get anyone in this window. Its the managers call after all.

We may notice come summer that most of them out of contract may be released to free up wages for Terry to do some business.

GoldenEagle
28-01-2014, 06:18 PM
:fishin:

Aldo
28-01-2014, 06:21 PM

We are not skint... Quality over quantity

why is allways RP's fault?

Exactly

come on really? did Petrie not get us the management team we wanted and indeed has made money available for all the managers prior to TB, stop the RP bashing. TB has already stated he wont just get anyone in, unless he will improve the team....

This

This

And possibly this

mim
28-01-2014, 06:23 PM
The players that TB is trying to get rid of are still on the wage bill. That restricts our ability to make signings.

weonlywon6-2
28-01-2014, 06:29 PM
its to easy to blame petrie when things dont appear to be going to plan.

Nevi_SOL
28-01-2014, 06:44 PM
I prefer this type of transfer window, not just signing players to make up the numbers

Jack
28-01-2014, 06:48 PM
I thought Rod Petrie was invisible these days.

Onion
28-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I prefer this type of transfer window, not just signing players to make up the numbers

:agree: Good that no one else wants any of our star players.

yekimevol
28-01-2014, 06:54 PM
The budget was spent by the last manager, if anyone remembers that 200K spent on Collins.

Nevi_SOL
28-01-2014, 06:55 PM

Aye wasn't that long ago everyone hated transfer windows trying to hold on to our key players

Viva_Palmeiras
28-01-2014, 07:00 PM
I thought Rod Petrie was invisible these days.

Made a cameo appearance on Sky Sports News with the Healthy Hibees ;)

Phil D. Rolls
28-01-2014, 07:55 PM
I don't know how he sleeps at night. Not very proud, or pleased.

Northernhibee
28-01-2014, 07:59 PM
We've just spent a large chunk of money on TB, MM and SM. We don't have endless supplies of cash so if we're looking to spend wisely then I have no problem with that.

jimmyboco1875
28-01-2014, 08:02 PM

Hehe

nribs
28-01-2014, 08:03 PM
We've just spent a large chunk of money on TB, MM and SM. We don't have endless supplies of cash so if we're looking to spend wisely then I have no problem with that.
How much money did we spend on the management team? Do you think he paid some off that back with the attendance at New Year? I think TB put at least 3k on the attendance that night.

Phil D. Rolls
28-01-2014, 08:04 PM
How much money did we spend on the management team? Do you think he paid some off that back with the attendance at New Year? I think TB put at least 3k on the attendance that night.

I think Gary Locke is doing a lot to put up our attendance at derbies.

Northernhibee
28-01-2014, 08:05 PM

Put it this way - Butcher, Malpas and Marsella are not a cheap option by any means.

jodjam
28-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Put it this way - Butcher, Malpas and Marsella are not a cheap option by any means.

Spot on. Added to the fact Collins and Nelson both cost fees. This is a window we may have to write off to an extent and keep an eye on summer signings / pre contracts.

Judas Iscariot
28-01-2014, 08:12 PM
The budget was spent by the last manager, if anyone remembers that 200K spent on Collins.

We didn't pay anywhere near that for JC

WestStandMoaner
28-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Spot on. Added to the fact Collins and Nelson both cost fees. This is a window we may have to write off to an extent and keep an eye on summer signings / pre contracts.

why other SPFL clubs seem to have no problem strengthening

tamig
28-01-2014, 09:56 PM

Pish post. :rolleyes:

jdships
28-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Pish post. :rolleyes:

:agree:

jodjam
28-01-2014, 11:52 PM
why other SPFL clubs seem to have no problem strengthening

Cos as I mentioned we have been paying transfer fees. A lot of other clubs are picking up loan deals. Maybe they have had problems strengthening. Maybe the signings Ross c made were not first choice. Maybe dons had offers turned down for other players before Rooney. Who knows?

clerriehibs
28-01-2014, 11:54 PM

Petrie's spent a fekcin fortune whenever the fans have been in open revolt over the managers. We get a new manager whenever we want, can't have our cake and eat it.

jacomo
29-01-2014, 12:03 AM

True, but I have lost a little bit of trust in the Hibs hierarchy and plenty others have too. Too many mistakes over the past few years to forget about so easily.

I really hope the new management team are getting the backing they need. I understand if the budget is tight in this window but too often in the past we have signed the wrong players and then lived to regret it.

ackeygraham
29-01-2014, 02:24 AM
We didn't pay anywhere near that for JC

Correct. Was more like 50k. And offered wolves 82.5k for sparky.

DanHFC1875
29-01-2014, 08:38 AM

I believe (a jambo word, Believe haha) that the Reported £200k was not Cash up, probably some like £90k with a fiver here n there after. So I've heard, inclined to believe it.

I'm not going to have a go at Butcher or Petrie.
I would expect a Striker in to compliment what we have. Don't like loans. But Lyle Taylor would have been nice. Surely we can get someone in on a low risk end of season loan. Someone capable of course.
Then reassess in the summer when the real business will be done?
We shall see eh.

leggeto
29-01-2014, 08:52 AM
I think he is doing a good job,ok some seasons he gets it tight but overall seems to keep the ship fairly steady and if sir Tom has faith in him so do i

heretoday
29-01-2014, 09:06 AM

Good post! :agree:

ahibby
29-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Rod Petrie has supported every manager we have had over the last few years.

Perhaps with the exception of John Collins during the player revolt.

The Modfather
29-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Petrie's spent a fekcin fortune whenever the fans have been in open revolt over the managers. We get a new manager whenever we want, can't have our cake and eat it.

Our cake is replacing the duds Petrie has appointed. We really are a lucky bunch!

TrinityHibs
29-01-2014, 11:44 AM
We have signed Alex Harris on an extended contract. If nothing else happens I will still be happy. If we extend Sam Stanton's contract I would be very happy.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Perhaps with the exception of John Collins during the player revolt.

Petrie didn't support the players. He told them to go and sort it out with the manager.

However, :hijack:

IWasThere2016
29-01-2014, 12:32 PM
RP's on holiday, and his phone is switched aff FFS!

SunshineOnLeith
29-01-2014, 12:34 PM
We're going bust.

Kickback told me.

IWasThere2016
29-01-2014, 12:36 PM
We're going bust.

Kickback told me.

FACT. RP's run aff with what little cash we had!

Ronniekirk
29-01-2014, 12:38 PM
RP's on holiday, and his phone is switched aff FFS!
He is away haggling over % of wages he is willing to cough up for TBs loan signings ,he doesn't want disturbed .:greengrin

SunshineOnLeith
29-01-2014, 12:39 PM
FACT. RP's run aff with what little cash we had!

I read on Facebook that we'll go into administration on 1 July.

Then I posted it on Twitter, just to make sure it was legit.

jonty
29-01-2014, 12:43 PM
RP was last seen playing golf at Montrose

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25926861

kidnapped by a submariner?

number9dream
29-01-2014, 12:47 PM

And Thomson, Taiwo, Vine & Clancy will be pulling in between 6 & 7k a week in wages. That's approx £150k over 6 months until summer.

Prize money, increased gates from winning team may make up the shortfall but keeping the wage / turnover ratio near 60% is vital.

Problem is I can't see us shifting our gang of four any time soon...

jonty
29-01-2014, 01:03 PM
And Thomson, Taiwo, Vine & Clancy will be pulling in between 6 & 7k a week in wages. That's approx £150k over 6 months until summer.

Prize money, increased gates from winning team may make up the shortfall but keeping the wage / turnover ratio near 60% is vital.

Problem is I can't see us shifting our gang of four any time soon...

where did you get those wages? That's rotten yam (ie last years) type figures and too high for us.

I reckon TB and his team have cost us close to 500k

That would put a dent in anyones budget.

happiehibbie
29-01-2014, 01:22 PM
I think we need to be on the side of caution as we wont have the same income next year

number9dream
29-01-2014, 04:46 PM
where did you get those wages? That's rotten yam (ie last years) type figures and too high for us.

I reckon TB and his team have cost us close to 500k

That would put a dent in anyones budget.

I meant combined wages for the quartet. All experienced players, picking up more than a grand a week each, surely...

jonty
29-01-2014, 04:52 PM
I meant combined wages for the quartet. All experienced players, picking up more than a grand a week each, surely...

sorry I picked it up wrong :greengrin

Nailrod
29-01-2014, 05:07 PM
I thought Rod Petrie was invisible these days.I've been hoping for a long time that he would disappear...

Nailrod
29-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Correct. Was more like 50k. And offered wolves 82.5k for sparky.Presumably that was 82.5k pence?

IWasThere2016
29-01-2014, 11:51 PM
I read on Facebook that we'll go into administration on 1 July.

Then I posted it on Twitter, just to make sure it was legit.

Keech - we're doooooomed!

--------
30-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Window by window over the past five years at least we've signed three or four players (sometimes more) who usually haven't measured up and have had to be unloaded at a later window after a new manager has come in.

This is an expensive and wasteful way to do business, and RP as CEO bears a big degree of responsibility for it - mainly because he's been the guy who appointed each of those managers. I think most people know I'm not a fan of his, but he HAS managed to bring in a credible reputable management team, and that must have cost money. And besides ....

.... Butcher stated when he came in that he wasn't going to make knee-jerk signings. He said he would give the players he has at present the chance to prove their worth before going into the market. No one has left the club as yet, so the wage-bill remains the same as when he arrived. I would guess that the nature of the club's budget demands that players leave before others come in - basic economic fact of life at ER these days.

I would rather Terry Butcher worked with the players we have (he's doing reasonably OK so far, IMO) and waited until the summer when he can do business with a better and bigger budget then, than fritter away the cash we have in signing this one or that one whose main reason for being available is that their clubs really don't want them around any longer.

He's signed up two of the most promising young players on extended contracts; he's looking at possible signings for the summer (or has Mr Marsella doing so on his behalf); and we're in no real danger as far as I can see of relegation.

So why the fuss?

Hibbyradge
30-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Window by window over the past five years at least we've signed three or four players (sometimes more) who usually haven't measured up and have had to be unloaded at a later window after a new manager has come in.

This is an expensive and wasteful way to do business, and RP as CEO bears a big degree of responsibility for it - mainly because he's been the guy who appointed each of those managers. I think most people know I'm not a fan of his, but he HAS managed to bring in a credible reputable management team, and that must have cost money. And besides ....

.... Butcher stated when he came in that he wasn't going to make knee-jerk signings. He said he would give the players he has at present the chance to prove their worth before going into the market. No one has left the club as yet, so the wage-bill remains the same as when he arrived. I would guess that the nature of the club's budget demands that players leave before others come in - basic economic fact of life at ER these days.

I would rather Terry Butcher worked with the players we have (he's doing reasonably OK so far, IMO) and waited until the summer when he can do business with a better and bigger budget then, than fritter away the cash we have in signing this one or that one whose main reason for being available is that their clubs really don't want them around any longer.

He's signed up two of the most promising young players on extended contracts; he's looking at possible signings for the summer (or has Mr Marsella doing so on his behalf); and we're in no real danger as far as I can see of relegation.

So why the fuss?

Top 6 finish and a Scottish Cup run will give him even more to spend in the summer.

silverhibee
30-01-2014, 01:36 PM

So why the fuss?

So why is the new management team not been giving the same backing as other managers to bring in new players this window, since we seem to have got the right backroom staff then why are they not being backed by the board, pretty sure that SM said after a few weeks at the club that he had been contacted by hundreds of players all wanting to come to Hibs, what happened to them all, surely there was 3 or 4 in that lot that would have been good for Hibs this window.

If the board have spent the lot on getting TB MM & SM then that is a big gamble imo, do the board watch the football on show at ER, it has been f***ing depressing and it was quite clear that the squad needed strengthening this window, a day to go of the window and we have brought in one loan signing.

He did say he wouldn't make knee jerk signings but it was assumed he would still make signings, it would also seem that he has looked at the squad and basically made his mind up about the squad, four players spoken to by TB that there futures may lie elsewhere.

I would rather we strengthened the squad and pushed for top six and get a good run in the Scottish cup this season and that would give TB a even better budget in the summer, that won't happen with this squad and you have to add in injuries and suspensions through the season as well, another bottom six finish for the club just might not be enough to tempt some fans back next season to renew STs no matter who is in charge and all of that will effect TB budget in the summer.

I also don't think we will get relegated but football is a funny old game, but have we to really settle for a fourth season in the bottom half of the league, it's not for me i want to be pushing for top six and be in it come the split, some folk on here have even said they don't mind finishing bottom six as it will mean another game against them, f*** them i want to be finishing as far up the table as possible and i think with the right backing from the board we could have pushed for 4th place this season but looks like another bottom six if we don't improve the squad by tomorrow, to many folk are happy to write this season of and think everything will be rosy in the summer, and we are only in January, madness.

CropleyWasGod
30-01-2014, 01:40 PM
So why is the new management team not been giving the same backing as other managers to bring in new players this window, since we seem to have got the right backroom staff then why are they not being backed by the board, pretty sure that SM said after a few weeks at the club that he had been contacted by hundreds of players all wanting to come to Hibs, what happened to them all, surely there was 3 or 4 in that lot that would have been good for Hibs this window.

If the board have spent the lot on getting TB MM & SM then that is a big gamble imo, do the board watch the football on show at ER, it has been f***ing depressing and it was quite clear that the squad needed strengthening this window, a day to go of the window and we have brought in one loan signing.

He did say he wouldn't make knee jerk signings but it was assumed he would still make signings, it would also seem that he has looked at the squad and basically made his mind up about the squad, four players spoken to by TB that there futures may lie elsewhere.

I would rather we strengthened the squad and pushed for top six and get a good run in the Scottish cup this season and that would give TB a even better budget in the summer, that won't happen with this squad and you have to add in injuries and suspensions through the season as well, another bottom six finish for the club just might not be enough to tempt some fans back next season to renew STs no matter who is in charge and all of that will effect TB budget in the summer.

I also don't think we will get relegated but football is a funny old game, but have we to really settle for a fourth season in the bottom half of the league, it's not for me i want to be pushing for top six and be in it come the split, some folk on here have even said they don't mind finishing bottom six as it will mean another game against them, f*** them i want to be finishing as far up the table as possible and i think with the right backing from the board we could have pushed for 4th place this season but looks like another bottom six if we don't improve the squad by tomorrow, to many folk are happy to write this season of and think everything will be rosy in the summer, and we are only in January, madness.

It is, though, isn't it? Going on other threads, there are 3 new faces at EM.

The Sea-gull
30-01-2014, 02:00 PM

Can't see it being this - TB, MM and SM are well known for having details of tons of players out there. There wil be players on their "list" that they want to sign.

CropleyWasGod
30-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Can't see it being this - TB, MM and SM are well known for having details of tons of players out there. There wil be players on their "list" that they want to sign.

... and 3 of them, apparently, are signing.

Which kinda negates the OP's point, no? :wink:

The Sea-gull
30-01-2014, 02:04 PM

Maybe I missing something but who exactly are our star players that others would want to buy right now?

I miss the transfer windows when we had start players that got linked with big moves as these were the days when we had a good team.

Who was the last star player anyone bought from us? Stokes? When did we last have a player linked with a big move?

Griffiths was by far our biggest star player in recent years didn't even belong to us, we loaned him for two years!

silverhibee
30-01-2014, 02:04 PM
It is, though, isn't it? Going on other threads, there are 3 new faces at EM.

I was typing that post and never seen the new developments. :greengrin

jdships
30-01-2014, 02:21 PM
True, but I have lost a little bit of trust in the Hibs hierarchy and plenty others have too. Too many mistakes over the past few years to forget about so easily.

I really hope the new management team are getting the backing they need. I understand if the budget is tight in this window but too often in the past we have signed the wrong players and then lived to regret it.

I can understand your frustration but this is not just a football related matter where " mistakes " are made in " signing " people.
It happens all over business
Back in the 1970's the Company I worked for was expanding rapidly and we required trained staff quickly to fill supervisory places.
On two occasions I held interviews re my department : chose a candidate with excellent CV a good/pleasant manner and had to tell them after three months " trial" they just weren't up to the job .
Is that not exactly what Petrie faces ?
He has to make a decision based on what he sees in front of him and a CV :rolleyes:

judas
01-02-2014, 08:46 AM

The balance sheet decides who we sign.

Amoeba could work that out.

jonty
01-02-2014, 01:24 PM

The balance sheet decides if we can sign, not who, surely :greengrin

Surely budgets are just that - budgets

There's only so much you can do with a pot of money. The board can't manage to make some more money appear just because we've overspent on the management team.
TB needs to help generate that shortfall through increased league placings, cup runs and bigger crowds.
He's brought what appears to be 3 decent players and his track record indicates that these should be good.

Generate more income, spend on better players, which in turn generates more income etc
That's the upward spiral we all want to see.

St.Kristopher
01-02-2014, 01:36 PM

Who is Amoeba and how can we get him on the board?

Viva_Palmeiras
01-02-2014, 01:42 PM

Sounds like a Yam to me ;)

Eyrie
01-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Sounds like a Yam to me ;)

Amoeba have evolved further than your average Yam.

matty_f
01-02-2014, 02:58 PM
The balance sheet decides if we can sign, not who, surely :greengrin

Surely budgets are just that - budgets

There's only so much you can do with a pot of money. The board can't manage to make some more money appear just because we've overspent on the management team.
TB needs to help generate that shortfall through increased league placings, cup runs and bigger crowds.
He's brought what appears to be 3 decent players and his track record indicates that these should be good.

Generate more income, spend on better players, which in turn generates more income etc
That's the upward spiral we all want to see.

I think we've been sensible in this window. Got 3 players in positions that need addressed, and they bring much needed pace to the team.

We need to be pushing top 6 as a minimum this season, there's no way it can be written off already. If we can string a cup run together then great, that will help.

Butcher needs to finish this season on a high so that there's an appetite and demand for season tickets next season, which in turn helps him with his re-building work. It's been said many times over that getting the "right" players in January is very difficult, so loan signings are a good compromise.

My guess is that we'll see a very different Hibs side next season, with Butcher getting more than enough backing from the board to do the rebuilding.

Pretty Boy
01-02-2014, 03:13 PM
I think we've been sensible in this window. Got 3 players in positions that need addressed, and they bring much needed pace to the team.

We need to be pushing top 6 as a minimum this season, there's no way it can be written off already. If we can string a cup run together then great, that will help.

Butcher needs to finish this season on a high so that there's an appetite and demand for season tickets next season, which in turn helps him with his re-building work. It's been said many times over that getting the "right" players in January is very difficult, so loan signings are a good compromise.

My guess is that we'll see a very different Hibs side next season, with Butcher getting more than enough backing from the board to do the rebuilding.

Agree with all of that.

It's been a pretty good window for us and Butcher will be backed in the summer as much as possible, as all our recent managers have been.

SuperAllyMcleod
01-02-2014, 03:24 PM

Does he not play for Newcastle?